Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Tokyo 92 second night mystery?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tokyo 92 second night mystery?  (Read 14675 times)
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 01:21:38 PM »

Is the UYI videos/DVD all from one show, or spliced together from all the Tokyo shows?
How the hell did Axl manage all the changes of clothes if it was from one!

He really only changes jackets, so it's not very time consuming.

I swear the colour of his shorts change during it.
I don't know, I can't remember!

You're right.  During some parts he has the white spandex on and during other parts the red.  The songs are all out of order which kind of doesn't make any sense to me but it does have some good moments.  Patience and Don't Cry are two of my favorite songs from the DVD.  The end of Patience when he holds the last note is a great moment, for me anyway.  Sail Away Sweet Sister on the DVD is probably my favorite version of the song and they cut that off the Banzai cd for some reason.  Double Talkin' Jive is another song on there that's cool as hell.  Even Civil War didn't turn out too bad.  For the most part though, the concert is definitely not even close to GN'R at it's best.  Not to compare the new to the old band, but I think every single show in 2006 that I've heard so far, has been better than the 2/22/92 Tokyo show.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 01:21:56 PM »

There are a couple things that save Tokyo for me.

Double Talkin Jive, Wild Horses, Civil War, and YCBM are great.? When Duff and Axl walk up behind Slash and Gilby on Wild Horses....now that is a moment!

Slash just rips it up on DTJ.?

I agree, Double Talkin Jive is fantastic.? I had a whole new respect for that song after seeing the Tokyo DVD.? ok

-F
for me tokyo dvd are bettr than paris 92
(ntrain,browstone,jungle,civil war,pretty tied up,so finewereamazing there)

many people here bashing Axl voice in sweet child but i just like that,that give diferences between live and studio

agree with you guys that gnr had a better boots(argentina 1993,new year eve miami...) but tokyp dvd have a better quality than chicago,noblesvile,rock in rio...

I have never seen so many tree
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »

Jesus never thought i'd see this thread again, started it in March 2005 lol

The DVD's aint that bad, for me they have there momments. DTJ is out of this world.

Axl's voice on Don't Cry is simply stunning, the best Don't Cry ive heard.

For me the best DVD's for people to watch to realy get a feel for what the band can do are Ritz '88, Chicargo '92 & Argentina '93.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 01:28:25 PM »

It's ok, but I just cringe now watching them-it represents to me the bloated period for the band-I hated the horns, backup singers-it was a good concert, but I don't miss it at all-I think Axl knew at the time he wasn't happy-I love Gilby, Slash and Duff, but if I hope I never hear Bad Obsession again-and Paradise City you seemed to have 20 people in stage for it. Oh well, there's my vent

libertad
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 01:29:20 PM »

Have to disagree. The 80s show are definately the best. The good thing about Illusion shows is naturally the number of songs they play, but they never surpass the chemistry and energy of some of the 80s shows.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »

Argentina '93 blows away the Tokyo concerts-the band seemed pissed and aggressive that night-they Tokyo shows were very well shot, I must admit

libertad
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2006, 02:15:38 PM »

did you see that all shows which stollen from crew have a very bad audio quality

I have never seen so many tree
SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 03:55:23 PM »

They've definately played better shows, but I grew up with the UYI videos....I later discovered via lots of bootlegs that they're capable of doing much better both in the 80's and on that tour.

My main gripe with that DVD is the sound - the guitars and bass sound good but the drums sound flat, and you can barely hear any of the backing vocals or Dizzy's percussion during the Appetite songs.

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 03:58:24 PM »

The drum sound was dire, totally ruined the solo.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2006, 04:52:40 PM »

Props to all of those with positive things to say about this show.

Sadly, I have none.

I can think of tons of shows that would've been better than this. It's a 'down the line' / 'by the numbers' / 'standard' kind of show. Not bad, but not that exciting either.

Tokyo night 1 had the extremely rare Coma. Tokyo night 2 had the extremely rare Locomotive. The crowd in Tokyo night 3 has to be one of the worst crowds ever!

Here's some Use Your Illusion alternatives...

Chicago 1992 (great setlist, including both Coma AND Estranged, Axl is in rare form, going on four seperate rants, one of which is a 5-minute tirade. Band is playing good also. Crowd is okay.)

Paris 1992 (not a full on GN'R show, but a great show. Lenny Kravitz shows up for Always On The Run, while Steven Tyler & Joe Perry show up to guest on rare performances of Mama Kin & Train Kept A Rollin'. Axl's voice & the band is spot on, and the crowd is awesome!)

Buenos Aires 1993 (the final old era show, which marks the end of an era. Different kind of setlist from the later 1993 shows to represent the UYI videos. More acoustic, and rawer. Possibly the greatest crowd EVER for a GN'R show, and really demostrates that at one time... they ruled the world!)

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2006, 04:54:38 PM »

did you see that all shows which stollen from crew have a very bad audio quality

What were the ones that were stolen?

I always thought Oklahoma '92 had better sound quality than Tokyo '92-night 3.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2006, 04:56:01 PM »

The Legend - The Post Machine

You sure write fast man smoking

All I can gather from that release is that they were targeting the huge Japanese market. Why they chose the third show is more of a puzzle, but it has probably got something to do with a technical problem of some kind.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »

My favourite part about the Tokyo DVD's is watching Slash rip into extended solos in most of the songs. Like everyone else has said, there are better concerts they could've released, but the Tokyo show does show moments of brilliance, but why the short shorts Axl?? why?? hihi

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2006, 05:56:51 PM »

I think it would solve everyones problem if the new band released a DVD.  Say May 12 at Hammerstein?  People would be blown away.
GNRArnold
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2006, 06:52:31 PM »

Well actually they could have released any of the Illusions shows on video- if you look at the leaked screenfeed videos of Chicago and Oklahoma, the camerawork etc. is just on par with Tokyo- there are decent amounts of wideshots etc. that would make it acceptable for an official release unlike most screenfeeds which are geared towards the upper level crowd in the arena with extreme closeups. I know Geffen split the songs up and released it as two different tapes to match the 2 albums back then, but when they released the dvd they should have just put it on one dvd in chronological order. I'm pretty sure there was an interview with Slash where he said the Tokyo show wasn't the band's choice and Geffen released it. What would rock is if GNR did a dvd boxset like Kiss or Zeppelin with a few different shows- I'm sure the record company is up for it since it would sell really well- but at this time point I doubt Axl would approve a new release of old footage since the other guys would profit from it and both Duff/Slash I think have to approve any "new" live footage before its released similar to the Live Era deal where Slash and Axl both had to send notes through lawyers and the record company to come to decisions on what to include.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:54:03 PM by GNRArnold » Logged
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2006, 06:59:34 PM »

that performance is a grower and really helped me appreciate gnr live performances. At first i thought they sucked bad live, but then you watch it over, find out the facts. You really do appreciate it.

html sucks
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2006, 07:03:10 PM »

- The DVD's are not from all three shows, it's just from the 22nd

That's correct Kaasu.

I recommend to everyone to get the udedited/uncut performace bootleg DVD of this show. It's much better. The songs are in order unlike in the official dvd's with November Rain and You Could Be Mine. Plus, the bootleg dvd has all of Axl's rants and his speech thru an interpreter.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »

- The DVD's are not from all three shows, it's just from the 22nd

That's correct Kaasu.

I recommend to everyone to get the udedited/uncut performace bootleg DVD of this show. It's much better. The songs are in order unlike in the official dvd's with November Rain and You Could Be Mine. Plus, the bootleg dvd has all of Axl's rants and his speech thru an interpreter.

Where can I find this unedited/uncut performance?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
muresan
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2006, 07:51:41 PM »

I really like the version of Estranged on the Tokyo DVD.
luciano
Banned
Rocker

Axl-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven!

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2006, 08:16:54 PM »

The Tokyo Mistery?

For a band that made hundreds of shows from 1987 until September 31, 1991, the mistery is how can they release a sad show like Tokyo 1992.

For God's sake, I don't want Tracy and Roberta, I don't want Teddy Zig fuckin' Zag and I don't want Gilby! I don't want a band that is dying in front of thousands of Japanese fans! I want a band on fire, rocking hard and having a great fuckin' time! I want to have a decent video or audio recording of the best band in the world playing a great fucking show!

So forget about Tokyo 1992 and just release Tokyo 1988! Don't like Japan? Pay Australian TV some money and release Melbourne 1988! No? So pay MTV some money and release the fantastic Ritz 1988 complete, uncensored and with bonus backstage footage! Oh, don't wanna do stuff with MTV? So Release the goddam RITZ 991 gig! FOR GOD SAKE, THAT CONCERT WAS SHOT ON FILM FOR THE YOU COULD BE MINE VIDEO!!!! Not good enough? Just do an easy deal with Brazil's TV Globo and release Rio 1991, the biggest show the band has ever done, and certainly one of the best! No deal with Brazil? So get your own footage together and just release Indiana 1991, that fuckin' glorious homecoming show! Or just do the right things and release a triple DVD with the 3/4-hour long August 3, 1991 gig! Release anything from 1987 until Wembley 1991! Even on THAT concert, when things weren't going so well, it was still good. Anyone that watched "Live and Let Die" from that concert (broadcasted on MTV awards) can tell it bloody rocked!

The mistery? There is one mistery for me. How come the best live band ever not have ONE SINGLE DECENT live release?

Oh, they have the Japanese EP, I forgot about that one! It has five songs! Yes!

Luciano

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:20:20 PM by luciano » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: