Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Tokyo 92 second night mystery?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tokyo 92 second night mystery?  (Read 14685 times)
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« on: February 28, 2005, 08:41:10 PM »

Ok, first off i think the Tokyo 92 DVD's aint to hot, sure they have there moments but for the most part Axl does'nt sound too great and the show generaly has no atmosphere. Now I could think of a few shows i've seen on DVD that should have been released, Argentina 93 to name but one but thats not my point.

The mysterous thing is, GN'R played 3 shows when they were in Tokyo. The first show i havnt seen or heard so cannot comment on, however, i have just downloaded an audio of the second night in tokyo and must say I was blown away. The third night in Tokyo im sure we've all seen/heard, this was the show that was officialy released as Video/DVD.

Now the mysterous thing is, why would they release the 3rd night in Tokyo as a DVD when the previous show two days before was far superior. Whats really odd is during the second show (the amazing show) Axl speaks through an interpreter to say they are filming the show for release!?

So why choose an inferior show over one they had already recorded two days before?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 08:43:14 PM by Stevenson » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 08:49:57 PM »

I don't know for sure, but having watched the U2 Elevation tour in Boston DVD, one possible explanation might be explained in it.

U2 played two shows at the same venue and ended up releasing the second one. The first night was like a rehearsal for all the film crew, directors, lightning guys etc.

Or maybe they filmed both shows and picked the third one for some reason.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:45:11 PM »

Maybe the japanese crew didn't like Locomotive!  rant

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:06:02 PM »

I dont have an answer as to why they picked that show .. but I gotta say , my favorite part was when axl's face looked like it was gunna explode as he was doing "bad time intro" for SCOM.

V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:35:52 PM »

Ok, first off i think the Tokyo 92 DVD's aint to hot, sure they have there moments but for the most part Axl does'nt sound too great and the show generaly has no atmosphere. Now I could think of a few shows i've seen on DVD that should have been released, Argentina 93 to name but one but thats not my point.

The mysterous thing is, GN'R played 3 shows when they were in Tokyo. The first show i havnt seen or heard so cannot comment on, however, i have just downloaded an audio of the second night in tokyo and must say I was blown away. The third night in Tokyo im sure we've all seen/heard, this was the show that was officialy released as Video/DVD.

Now the mysterous thing is, why would they release the 3rd night in Tokyo as a DVD when the previous show two days before was far superior. Whats really odd is during the second show (the amazing show) Axl speaks through an interpreter to say they are filming the show for release!?

So why choose an inferior show over one they had already recorded two days before?

Maybe cause they didn't plan to tape the second show? So they were not filming it? You know, professional filming costs $$$
parisrocks
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:53:57 PM »

I never knew of a 3rd show, but I've read that they took the best from both nights and spliced them together.

yep, same songs, same clothes, same thing.

Has anyone checked gnrontour for more info?
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 12:35:53 AM »

There are a couple things that save Tokyo for me.

Double Talkin Jive, Wild Horses, Civil War, and YCBM are great.  When Duff and Axl walk up behind Slash and Gilby on Wild Horses....now that is a moment!

Slash just rips it up on DTJ.  And Axl is a freakin mad man on YCBM.

If only he wasn't wearing those shorts the whole time.    Angry

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Stevenson
Headliner

"Tourmaline Green"

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 08:24:45 AM »

The three shows are dated as: 02/19/92, 02/20/92 then finaly 02/22/92.

Jarmo's explination seems plusable about the first night being like a rehearsal for all the film crew, directors, lightning guys etc.

Pehaps the audio was better but the way the concert was shot wasnt up to scratch. After all these shows were for video/DVD not CD. It still bugs me though that they would do this. I for one would have prefered to watch a show where the whole band sound amzing than a show with superior camera angles anyday  Smiley

Thats the thng that bugs me about GN'R, the live stuff these release never seems to do the band justice.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 08:35:49 AM »

Well the show was most likley choosen by Geffen and not the band, perhaps the night choosen was more political correct in orientation?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 09:05:21 AM »

Well the show was most likley choosen by Geffen and not the band, perhaps the night choosen was more political correct in orientation?

I agree. I think the song choice (whether it was from one night or multiple nights as I think was probably the case) was geared more towards the songs that were already singles and those that had 'single potential.' As much as I love Coma and Locomotive, these would never have been even concidered to be singles and therefore got the chopping block treatment.

Another strange thing about the UYI performance was that it was broken up into 2 tapes/DVDs. Now you could be just plain synical and say, "that's just to make more money off the product." I'm not so sure that was the plan, however. When the original UYI tapes came out, I bought them for $40 ($20/peice) if I remember correctly (ironically enough I bought them for $9.99/peice when they came out on DVD). They had enough "room" to fit songs from each of the three nights in Tokyo and then some. Why didn't they just use up the room on the tape/DVD and do just that? Perhaps they knew they wanted to play a variety of songs (not just the same set) each night and planned for 2 tapes to fit EVERYTHING. Then, when it came time to choose which performances of the repeated songs to choose from, the band, Geffen, maybe even Axl himself chose at the last minute NOT to include songs like Coma and Locomotive for some reason (perhaps not happy with the audio or video taken). I don't know...it just seems to me that the 2 tape idea had more purpose at one time.

Maybe not. Who knows.  Cool

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 09:16:46 AM »

Two tapes/DVDs because the albums were on two volumes. That's my theory.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 09:21:15 AM »

I remember buying these around the holidays in 1992. It was the beginning of me accepting that GNR was not the same band of the Ritz 88, Appetite, Lies, etc. I mean I knew it wasn't all along.... Rio 91 should have said it all... but watching a professionally released concert that wasn't very good... that says a lot. They couldn't come up with a better show than that? The one highlight, the one thing I hung my hopes on, was the end of Rocket Queen. It seemed like the band and Axl really hit a groove, and Axl wasn't playing safety with his voice at that part either. I'll have to watch those videos again. I haven't seen them in years. Can't see a reason to get the DVDs though.

I've seen enough.
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 09:30:09 AM »

not to ride your ass Izzy, but wouldn't you think the band itself had controll over what they wanted to release, i mean if there was a few bad tracks the second night, they could have just deleted those. After all they did swap the tracks around on the released dvd compared to the real gig so a little editing would be possible.

peace

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 09:59:03 AM »

i don`t really like these dvd`s. imo there`re lots of better gnr concerts out there. i don`t like the concerts from the first few months of 1992. maybe they just took it as the dvd`s because they allready released the concert and there wasn`t that much work to do...  i think the best for us would`ve been if they`d released another show, so that we`d have the tokio one and another.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 12:00:40 PM »

previous show two days before was far superior. Whats really odd is during the second show (the amazing show) Axl speaks through an interpreter to say they are filming the show for release!?

Maybe cause they didn't plan to tape the second show? So they were not filming it?
I think this is the most plausible explanation but why Axl said that?

FYI Setlists nicked from somewhere...

@19 Feb 1992 Tokyo Dome
01) Coma 02) Mr. Brownstone 03) Live And Let Die 04) Bad Obsession 05) Double Talkin' Jive 06) Civil War 07) Wild Horses~ Patience 08) Attitude 09) Welcome To The Jungle 10) Don't Cry 11) Piano Solo~ November Rain 12) Nightrain 13) Drum Solo -) Guitar Solo -) Godfather Theme 14) Sail Away Sweet Sister~Bad Time~ Sweet Child O' Mine 15) You Could Be Mine 16) So Fine 17) Only Women Bleed~ Knockin' On Heaven's Door 
//encore  18) Estranged  19) Mother~ Paradise City

@20 Feb 1992 Dome
01) It's So Easy 02) Mr. Brownstone 03) Locomotive 04) Bad Obsession 05) Live And Let Die 06)Attitude 07) Don't Cry 08) Nightrain 09) So Fine 10) Wild Horses~ Patience 11) Welcome To The Jungle 12) Double Talkin' Jive 13) Civil War 14) Piano Solo~ November Rain 15) Drum Solo -) Guitar Solo -) Godfather Theme 16) Sail Away Sweet Sister~Bad Time~ Sweet Child O' Mine 17) Move To The City 18) You Could Be Mine 19) Only Women Bleed~ Knockin' On Heaven's Door  
//encore  20) Mother~ Paradise City

@22 Feb 1992 Dome
01) Nigh train 02) Mr. Brownstone 03) Live And Let Die 04) It's So Easy 05) Bad Obsession 06) Attitude 07) Pretty Tied Up 08) Welcome To The Jungle 09) Don't Cry 10) Double Talkin' Jive 11) Civil War 12) Wild Horses~ Patience 13) You Could Be Mine 14) Piano Solo~ November Rain 15) Drum Solo Guitar Solo -) Godfather Theme 16) Sail Away Sweet Sister~ Bad Time~ Sweet Child O' Mine 17) So Fine 18) Rocket Queen+It Tastes Good, Don't It? 19) Move To The City 20) Only Women Bleed ~Knockin' On Heaven's Door 
//encore 21) Estranged 22) Mother~ Paradise City
Funeral
Rocker

Welcome to the neighborhood

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 12:39:36 PM »

There are a couple things that save Tokyo for me.

Double Talkin Jive, Wild Horses, Civil War, and YCBM are great.? When Duff and Axl walk up behind Slash and Gilby on Wild Horses....now that is a moment!

Slash just rips it up on DTJ.?

I agree, Double Talkin Jive is fantastic.  I had a whole new respect for that song after seeing the Tokyo DVD.  ok

-F
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 12:47:09 PM »

/jarmo

But they could have put some extras to the DVDs...

I still don't understand why they didn't tape at least two shows and then release the best music with the best video - Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same has moments of two shows and the music you hear and the video are often from a different concert. Anyway, I love the UYI DVDs  yes

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 12:49:11 PM »

Yeah, but that would cost money. I guess it's easier to just make DVDs of the existing releases instead of re-working them....

/jarmo

gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 01:11:27 PM »

I think Jarmo might be right, but also based on Locomotive (the only song I've heard from the second show), Axl's voice sounded horrendous.  That was one of the worst vocal performances by him in any song I've ever heard; he was really struggling to sing in his normal voice.  That said, I can't comment on how he sounded on the other songs.  Also, his voice was pretty lousy in the third show as well, but on certain songs, he was brilliant (Don't Cry, Civil War, You Could Be Mine for example). 
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 02:02:48 PM »

/jarmo

I still don't understand why they didn't tape at least two shows and then release the best music with the best video - Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same has moments of two shows and the music you hear and the video are often from a different concert. Anyway, I love the UYI DVDs  yes

Personally thats my main beef with Zep's "The song remains the same" dvd ... I love the dvd , dont get me wrong .. but when a band releases a live show/dvd I'd rather see it warts and all and not polished and cut from various shows. As good as TSRTS is it pales in comparison to the self titled led zep dvd they put out a little while ago.

And some extra features wouldnt have been hard to put on the UYI dvd's .. I mean the video itself is a stright transfer to dvd but whoever made it had to create those new menus so in the same vein why not waste another hour or two of production work to add a band members BIO , still gallery .. just some really basic special features to spruce the discs up a little?

Oh well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: