Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 11:16:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Beatles
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 17054 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« on: February 22, 2005, 05:26:34 AM »

What is good about the Beatles?

I just can't see it - they just seem cheesy 60's pop music to me, i neither see lyrical or musical brilliance in their work, so i must be missing something.

This isn't a thread to flame, i'm just intrested in what people like about the Beatles and what it is that has made them so successful and respected. I've been meaning to get some of their stuff and am looking at albums to aim for.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 06:00:40 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 07:47:49 AM »

What is good about the Beatles?
I just can't see it - they just seem cheesy 60's pop music to me, i neither see lyrical or musical brilliance in their work
Man, u and me both...

Fuck 'Em All.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 08:16:29 AM »

Izzy,
   Serious Question: Have you listened to their WHOLE catalog?  While they started as a pop band, they evolved into something much more.   What makes them so incredible is not just the way the reinvented themselves, but the way they depict the reinvention of an entire generation.

That, and their music and lyrics, especially after their "pop music" phase, is bloody brilliant.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 08:28:40 AM »

Well, since i haven't listened to their WHOLE catalog, no furthur comments

Fuck 'Em All.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 09:44:26 AM »

Izzy,
? ?Serious Question: Have you listened to their WHOLE catalog?? While they started as a pop band, they evolved into something much more.? ?What makes them so incredible is not just the way the reinvented themselves, but the way they depict the reinvention of an entire generation.

That, and their music and lyrics, especially after their "pop music" phase, is bloody brilliant.

Exactly. Everyone who wants to know The Beatles should listen the following albums:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
White Album
Magical Mystery Tour
Abbey Road
Let It Be
Anthology II
Anthology III

These are The Beatles

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 02:21:37 PM »

Izzy,
? ?Serious Question: Have you listened to their WHOLE catalog?? While they started as a pop band, they evolved into something much more.? ?What makes them so incredible is not just the way the reinvented themselves, but the way they depict the reinvention of an entire generation.

Intresting, so behind the singles was actually something resembling talent. That would explain why everything i have heard seems very average but people still rave about them.

Are there any songs in particular that i should look out for, while i don't like the Beatles i ain't determind to keep it that way, and i really do want to know what the fuss is about.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 02:22:05 PM »

For someone who likes Judas Priest, you have no right to criticize The Beatles!  Go listen to Megadeth fool.  rant

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 02:27:49 PM »

they are the most over rated band in the world ,and to me they were the first fucking boy band. rant

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 02:34:01 PM »

For someone who likes Judas Priest, you have no right to criticize The Beatles!? Go listen to Megadeth fool.? rant

Can't i like both? My hearing has only just recovered from the Megadeth gig i was at.

How can u like Judas Priest and not Megadeth? Undecided

Anyway stop dragging my threads off topic! hihi

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Lord Blackadder
Rocker

BlAdder

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »

Songs like She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, Helter Skelter you just can't fault them. And it isnt just us who like them, everybody (nearly) likes The Beatles. How can you not? Like Ozzy said "saying you dont like The Beatles is like saying you don't like air".

I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 05:51:53 PM »

Izzy,

Intresting, so behind the singles was actually something resembling talent. That would explain why everything i have heard seems very average but people still rave about them.

Are there any songs in particular that i should look out for, while i don't like the Beatles i ain't determind to keep it that way, and i really do want to know what the fuss is about.

Strawberry Fields Forever, Here Comes the Sun, I am the Walrus, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Michelle, A Day in the Life, Helter Skelter, Across the Universe, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Something, Hey Jude, Come Together, I Want You, Mean Mr. Mustard, Oh Darling, Julia, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Piggies, Rocky Racoon, Get Back, Let it Be, Sexie Sadie, Revolution, Cry Baby Cry, The Fool on the Hill, Two of Us, The Long and Winding Road, Ticket to Ride, Yesterday, Norwegian Wood, Taxman, Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Lady Madonna, Glass Onion, Why Don't We Do It In The Road...

Rollin' on the streets
RichardNixon
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 07:41:24 PM »

IZZY- I ORDER you to go to the store tommorow and buy "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band." Listen to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and "A Day in the Life." You will be a changed man. 
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 08:09:50 PM »

IZZY- I ORDER you to go to the store tommorow and buy "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band." Listen to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and "A Day in the Life." You will be a changed man.?

I have heard LITSWD, i agree it isn't a bad song.

I do intend to buy Sgt Pepper LHCB within the next week or so.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 08:51:39 PM »

IZZY- I ORDER you to go to the store tommorow and buy "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band." Listen to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and "A Day in the Life." You will be a changed man.?

I have heard LITSWD, i agree it isn't a bad song.

I do intend to buy Sgt Pepper LHCB within the next week or so.

Do yourself a favor and pick up The White Album as well.  Pick up Abbey Road and Let it Be if you have the extra cash, too.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 08:53:22 PM »

No, you misunderstand.  I'm not saying you don't have a right to comment if you haven't heard their WHOLE catalog.  My question was a sincere one to try to understand Izzy's viewpoint.  If you only listen to the early "boy band" pop music, you really don't get a complete picture of who "The Beatles" really were.  You only see the mop top version, which was a very early, and very small, piece of the Beatles careers.  Their later stuff was pure rock and roll.....

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »

they are the most over rated band in the world ,and to me they were the first fucking boy band. rant

They were the first boy band, that's true.  Their early stuff was certainly indicitive of that.  But their later stuff certainly was not.

That's another of the things to like about The Beatles:  Their diversity.  No mater what type of music you like, from pop to rock....you'll find a good portion of stuff in their catalog that you'll like.

Together again,
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 12:59:42 AM »

Nobody's mentioned REVOLVER...my favorite Beatles album.  So many great songs on this one and it always seems to get overlooked.  Very underated in my honest opinion. And it has a kickass cover.

Also, try Abbey Road before Let it Be.  I think Abbey Road is far superior in that it doesn't have the cheesy wall of sound treatment from Phil Spector.  Let it Be: Naked is pretty cool though.  More stripped down to the intended sound.

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 04:44:30 AM »

Abbey Road and the White Album are good. The truth is, that most Beatles albums aren't good. They have a few gems, though. Of course, Clapton and Hendrix were the real musical geniuses of the 60's!
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 05:22:57 AM »

Abbey Road and the White Album are good. The truth is, that most Beatles albums aren't good. They have a few gems, though. Of course, Clapton and Hendrix were the real musical geniuses of the 60's!

Clapton and Hendrix are way overrated. If I had to choose one genius for the 60s, it'd be Lennon.

Rollin' on the streets
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 07:49:18 AM »

No, you misunderstand.? I'm not saying you don't have a right to comment if you haven't heard their WHOLE catalog.? My question was a sincere one to try to understand Izzy's viewpoint.? If you only listen to the early "boy band" pop music, you really don't get a complete picture of who "The Beatles" really were.? You only see the mop top version, which was a very early, and very small, piece of the Beatles careers.? Their later stuff was pure rock and roll.....
Cool Cool

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: