Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 09:13:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Bruce Springsteen
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Springsteen  (Read 33377 times)
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »

Im not sure about the new tune, Im definetly more into it then the Seeger Sessions...Its good I guess, kinda catchy

Yeah, perfect single yes

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2007, 12:46:39 PM »

Bruce Springsteen, E Street Band reveal tour details

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band have announced the dates for their first full-scale tour of the US and Europe since 2003.

The North American leg launches Oct. 2 in Hartford, CT--the same day the band's new album, "Magic," is set to drop. The outing is scheduled to visit 16 cities from coast to coast, including two-night stands at East Rutherford, NJ's Continental Airlines Arena and New York City's Madison Square Garden. The itinerary is listed below. Ticket sales begin Sept. 8, according to a press release.

When the US/Canadian run wraps Nov. 18 in Boston, The Boss and company will head for Europe. Those dates can be found at Springsteen's website.

On tour, Springsteen will be joined by E Street Band keyboardist Roy Bittan, saxman/percussionist Clarence Clemons, keyboardist Danny Federici, guitarist Nils Lofgren, vocalist/guitarist Patti Scialfa, bassist Garry Tallent, guitarist Steven Van Zandt and drummer Max Weinberg.

"Magic" is Springsteen's first new studio recording with the E Street Band since 2002's Grammy-winning, multi-platinum album "The Rising." The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer's longtime manager, Jon Landau, described the record in a statement as "a high energy rock CD," adding, "It's light on its feet, incredibly well played by Bruce and the members of the E Street Band, and, as always, has plenty to say."

The set's first single, "Radio Nowhere," is available free for one week via Apple's iTunes Music Store starting today (8/28).

October 2007
2 - Hartford, CT - Hartford Civic Center
5 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center
9-10 - East Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena
14 - Ottawa, Ontario - Civic Centre
15 - Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre
17-18 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden
21 - Chicago, IL - United Center
26 - Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena
28 - Los Angeles, CA - venue to be announced

November 2007
2 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
4 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
5 - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills
11 - Washington, DC - Verizon Arena
14 - Pittsburgh, PA - Mellon Arena
15 - Albany, NY - Times Union Center
18 - Boston, MA - TD Banknorth Garden

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »

For those that consider  themselves casual fans, go buy "The River". I think the songs are sung better today, but it is a great example of his amazing song writing.

Yes... Get The River, then Born To Run, then Darkness on the Edge of Town... Then get his first two albums.. After all this get Born in The USA and nebraska.. You'll be hooked
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2007, 07:45:01 PM »

Wow no southern dates? What the hell?
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »

"Radio Nowhere" is available as a free download on iTunes, this week only.? Catchy, rockin' pop song overall, if a bit on the Pearl Jam side of things.? And free to boot...? ?beer
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:13:17 PM by bazgnr » Logged
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »

Album Review: Springsteen, Bruce

MAGIC
The Boss still showing his magic
By DARRYL STERDAN -- Sun Media

Bruce Springsteen
Magic
(Sony-BMG)

There's only one event in music guaranteed to generate more buzz than a new album from Bruce Springsteen: A new album from Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band.

Why? The answer is right there in the title of The Boss's 15th studio disc.

As spellbinding and brilliant as the 58-year-old rock icon is on his own, when he plays with The E Streeters, it's magic. Call it a spark or chemisty or anything you like; whatever it is, it has always been an unmistakable, inimitable sound far greater than the sum of its parts. That's what you get on Magic, their first collaboration since 2002's stirring album The Rising (and perhaps their final album together, based on some reports).

But that's not all you get. Along with the heartland-rock sonic touchstones and everyman lyrics that preach to Bruce's congregation of fans, the dark 11-song album - recorded in Atlanta with Rising producer Brendan O'Brien - includes forays into '60s-style orchestral rock.

And while it doesn't equal Born to Run or Born in the U.S.A. - really, how many albums do? - Magic's gritty intensity almost puts it on par with Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River.

Which is to say: Bruce and the E Streeters still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Radio Nowhere 3:18

"I want a thousand guitars, I want pounding drums," The Boss demands. And on this driving rocker, that's what the band supplies - along with a howling sax solo, a jangling riff that echoes Tommy Tutone's 867-5309/Jenny and a darkly yelpy vocal reminiscent of Warren Zevon. A killer single - assuming radio will play a song about how much it sucks.

You'll be Coming Down 3:45

After Radio Nowhere, the downtempo gait of this karmic warning seems slight at first. After a few listens, the shimmery U2ish guitars, '60s folk-pop overtones and seductive chorus hook you.

Livin' in the Future 3:56

Between the bouncy swagger, twangy guitar licks, wailing sax and shimmering organ, this is a soulful celebration in the style of Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and Hungry Heart - though lyrics about liberty sailing away add political overtones.

Your Own Worst Enemy 3:18

Bruce gets in touch with his inner Brian Wilson on this midtempo ballad, wrapping his dour melody and weary vocals in a lush blanket of sombre strings, kettle drums, percussion and bells.

Gypsy Biker 4:31

The band kicks back into high gear with a swelling, anthemic roots- rocker about a small-town hero coming home - in a coffin. The revving guitars and piercing solo are outstanding.

Girls in Their Summer Clothes 4:19

Another orchestrated pop ballad, with sweeping strings and a growling sax that follow Bruce's heartbroken protagonist as he roams the streets looking for love - and getting passed by.

I'll Work for Your Love 3:34

The tinkly piano at the start harkens back to Thunder Road - but the tune breaks into a bittersweet, Dylanesque folk-rocker laced with Biblical lyrics symbolizing the sanctity of love.

Magic 2:45

A woozy carnival organ, a sawdusty beat, a fluttery mandolin and a ghostly violin decorate this dreamy vignette in which innocent deception quickly gives way to monstrous trickery.

Last to Die 4:17

Another gritty, hard-hitting rocker accented with strings and fuelled by lyrics built upon John Kerry's famous statement about the Vietnam War. One guess what this one is about.

Long Walk Home 4:34

With its lightly strummed guitar and gently melancholy vibe, this one opens like Streets of Philadelphia, but quickly moves into a roots- rock lament about finding your way back home.

Devil's Arcade 5:05

The disc's most overtly poltical cut is this tale of a soldier wounded in battle. The striking arrangement elegantly builds from mournful strings and guitar to a richly intense orchestration.

Bonus Track: Terry's Song 4:11

Springsteen pays tender tribute to his longtime assistant Terry MacGovern, who died this summer at age 67. It's the most nakedly personal song he's written in years. And one of the most moving.

NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2007, 03:46:34 AM »

Great, thankx for the review yes

The album is playing non stop in my stereo Wink

But how come I always have the impression that it's always love/hate between the Boss and the E Street Band Huh

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2007, 04:13:33 PM »

I'm very anxious to buy this album when it comes out tomorrow...thanks for the review.
LawsonsLaw007
Back in the saddle again
VIP

Follow me on Twitter! @SammyBoyDpk

« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »

i love bruce i got the album a week brfore it came out its pritty sick!!

Peace

Follow me on Twitter!! @SammyBoyDpk 15,000 followers can't be wrong!
Vegar
Rocker

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »

Bruce is king!

I love early Bruce, middle Bruce and this last album, MAGIC, wow! Its so great! Cheesy

Every song on this album are killer songs in their way, by the exception of (in my opinion) "You'll be coming down" and "Your own worst enemy", which though are OK songs.

Its great, and recommended. Buy!  ok

Just use your head and in the end
You?ll find your inspiration,
To choose your steps, I won't regret
This kind of aggravation
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2007, 06:09:55 PM »

Live Review: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in Hartford, CT

There are few American musical acts--or, for that matter, many rock-and-roll bands anywhere--that have matured as well as New Jersey's Bruce Springsteen [ tickets ] and the E Street Band. As the body of Springsteen's work grows, each progressive offering seems to take on its own ageless quality, drawing from rhythms, chord progressions, keyboard lines and guitar leads that often ring out with passing familiarity.

But by the time The Boss puts his final lyrical stamps on each number, shakes and bakes them in rehearsal, and rolls them out for audience consumption, they become distinctive trademarks, unmistakable even to those claiming to not be fans. And what honest music lovers, particularly live music fans, could summarily reject Springsteen and company, especially if his Tuesday (10/2) tour opener in Hartford, CT, is any evidence of what he and his crew are still capable of delivering?

Springsteen's often-blistering two-hour-plus set was heavy on new material from "Magic," his latest original recording with the E Street Band, which was released the day of the show. In fact, anyone who bought or downloaded the album earlier in the day heard all but three of the new numbers live a few hours later (see setlist below).

Jammed in between the new material were some of the most inspiring tunes from 2002's "The Rising": "Lonesome Day," was dished up early and was nearly as well-received as the classic song "The Ties That Bind," which preceded it; "The Rising," which came mid-set; and "Waitin' on a Sunny Day" performed during the encore.

Burning up those 11 tunes left precious little time for any nuggets for the long-time fans--many of whom LiveDaily spoke with--who came from distant states and even the UK, to catch Springsteen's tour opener at the Hartford Civic Center.

The classic material that managed to find its way to the surface from deeper in The Boss' catalog did elicit the kind of roaring tribute one might expect, even though die-hard Springsteen concert-goers knew several of the songs to be all too frequent stand-bys, arguably overplayed a few years ago on the extended tour for "The Rising."

Where "The Promised Land" and "Darkness On the Edge of Town" were about the most pedestrian of the show, "Night," into "She's the One," reaffirmed that this act is virtually impossible to beat for sheer vitality and inspired collaboration. "Darlington County" and the final encore number, the Irish Reel "American Land," were among the most spirited, while "Reason to Believe" was transformed into a chugging blues number.

Although The Boss is quite adept at conducting the band with the slightest flick of his Fender Telecaster, "Reason to Believe" and "Gypsy Biker," in particular, showcased Springsteen's harmonica work and an emerging new stage presence utilizing that tiny instrument.

He undoubtedly honed this aspect of his live act during the solo "Devils and Dust" and "The Seeger Sessions" tours, because the Hartford show saw Springsteen harping away like a veteran bluesman, putting his whole body into the wheezing and honking which in turn further energized both the band and the crowd.

Springsteen's first new single, "Radio Nowhere," served as the show's opening number . And, while it sounds very fresh and young on the album, the live showcase gave The Boss an opportunity to crank up the song's inherent edginess even a few more notches.

Among other live high points from "Magic" were the haunting "Devil's Arcade," while "Long Walk Home" and "Livin' in the Future" gave sax man Clarence Clemons two opportunities to really shine. "Born to Run" remained an encore highlight, during which all the house lights were fired up so the band could share in the exuberance with every member of the audience, from those singing along standing in front of the stage, to those dancing among the most far-flung cheap seats.

As the tour moves across the country, those in attendance will likely look back on Springsteen's Hartford tour opener as the fan-filled love fest it was meant to be, a not-so-final stand that proved The Boss and The E Street Band are aging but not growing old.

While the newest recorded material certainly can't compare to classics like "Born to Run" and "The River," it far outweighs a number of other Springsteen offerings, and deserves a chance to be heard in concert--even if it is at the expense of not trotting out a few more obscure classics from earlier days.

SET LIST:
1. Radio Nowhere
2. The Ties That Bind
3. Lonesome Day
4. Gypsy Biker
5. Magic
6. Reason to Believe
7. Night
8. She's the One
9. Livin' in the Future
10. The Promised Land
11. Town Called Heartbreak
12. Darkness on the Edge of Town
13. Darlington County
14. Devil's Arcade
15. The Rising
16. Last to Die
17. Long Walk Home
18. Badlands

ENCORE:
19. Girls in Their Summer Clothes
20. Thundercrack
21. Born to Run
22. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
23. American Land

Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2007, 10:04:28 PM »

For those that consider? themselves casual fans, go buy "The River". I think the songs are sung better today, but it is a great example of his amazing song writing.

Yes... Get The River, then Born To Run, then Darkness on the Edge of Town... Then get his first two albums.. After all this get Born in The USA and nebraska.. You'll be hooked

Im not a HUGE fan of Born in the USA... Yet, I love Bruce.  I love the River, however.

Get 'The River' and just die listening to Jungleland.

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »

For those that consider  themselves casual fans, go buy "The River". I think the songs are sung better today, but it is a great example of his amazing song writing.

Im not a HUGE fan of Born in the USA... Yet, I love Bruce.  I love the River, however.

Get 'The River' and just die listening to Jungleland.

Jungleland is a great song.
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2007, 11:00:05 PM »

Jungleland is a masterpiece.. But It's not on The River... It's on Born To Run
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »

The new cd is damn good. Given time, it will measure with his best, I feel. I'm going to hunt Youtube for that new live version of Reason To Believe.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2007, 04:05:12 PM »

Have heard the single on radio and seen the video now and i was pleasantly surprised yes Cheesy
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2007, 07:03:07 PM »

They are going to stream 30 minutes of his show from the Meadowlands tomorrow on VH1 Classic.

I think it's live?  I'll be watching.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »

They are going to stream 30 minutes of his show from the Meadowlands tomorrow on VH1 Classic.

I think it's live?  I'll be watching.

Thanks for the heads up on that.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2007, 07:00:32 PM »

The new cd is damn good. Given time, it will measure with his best, I feel. I'm going to hunt Youtube for that new live version of Reason To Believe.

Found one, not the best but the only version of the new rendition available so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4EJ1hSTpHI

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2007, 01:59:18 AM »

Had to post this.. This is a new song from his new album, it's called Long Walk Home. It's  a classic already to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwLfgH6D_EA
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: