Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 70377 times)
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2005, 09:22:45 AM »

here's another news article on it from the press/radio industry newsletter CMU in the UK:

AXL ROSE SIGNS TO SANCTUARY PUBLISHING
Sanctuary Music Publishing have signed up Axl Rose in a deal which will see
the music group manage the G'n'R man's whole songwriting catalogue,
including his forthcoming new G'n'R album 'Chinese Democracy', now due for a
2089 release. (Actually, G'n'R bassist Tommy Stinson told US newspaper
Pioneer Press last week the long long long awaited new G'n'R album is almost
done - believe it when we see it).

//
They always take a sarcastic slant, ilove it! lol

Back In Power
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2005, 10:09:19 AM »

I'm not sure if they have the same opinion after the release of GH. It sold too much...
nice, thanks i remember they "pulled the plug" we'll have it soon is my guess (not in axl-soon)  ok

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2005, 11:11:10 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the publishing company is the ones handling the business side of dealing with the songs.

For example, if a magazine wants to print the lyrics to a GN'R song, they'd need to get permission from the publishing company.

If you check your cd booklets, they usually say Published by XXXXX ASCAP or something. Sometimes the band members have individual pulishing companies, and in the case of old GN'R they had Guns N' Roses Music ASCAP.

If I remember correctly, Guns N' Roses Music ASCAP had a deal with Warner/Chappell.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2005, 11:59:51 AM »

here is a very good website regarding these issues - for those of you who are interested:
http://www.musicjournal.org/01publishingresource.html

includes info that helps understand about what Music Publishing is  (and no it does not pertain to only lyrics - (songwriting is not just lyrics - songwriting includes the music also)

and also something that it helped me understand more is about the difference between the publishing company and the record company...

"The Rationale for Music Publishing

To appreciate the processes involved in music publishing, one must first understand that songs are, legally, treated as entirely separate and distinct from sound recordings....
... the song is the intellectual property of the songwriter(s), and not the intellectual property of the recording artist or record company.

Consequently, songs (as creative works) can be copyrighted separately from sound recordings. This notion of copyrighting songs is the fundamental concept that underpins the entire music publishing industry.

The actual term ?music publishing? is derived from the traditional business of printing sheet music. Before early soundcarriers were even invented in the last quarter of the nineteenth century... music publishers were already active in the mass production of sheet music for public consumption...

The generic expression ?music publishing? has continued through to the present day; although, in practice, printing sheet music is now only one (smaller) aspect of the work of the modern music publisher.

Songs differ from records in many ways of course. Unlike records, songs are not physical entities, unless they are made tangible in some form (such as print)...

This distinction between songs and records means that songwriters can enter into publishing deals in much the same way as recording artists can sign record deals. Music publishers then manage these song 'catalogues'. In doing so, they serve to protect the songs? copyright, and to exploit the works to the benefit of both the songwriter and the publisher. Record companies, meanwhile, undertake the risk management activity of recording, manufacturing, promoting and distributing sound recordings."

another link to check out:  http://www.mpaonline.org.uk/faqs/what_is_pub.html

also what helped me understand what the relationship is between the songwriter, the music publisher, and the record company is this little tidbit
(in our case Axl, Sanctuary Music Publishing, and Geffen)

"A song can only be manufactured into a physical product (a CD, for example) by securing a ?mechanical licence?, and on payment of a mechanical royalty to the songwriter."(source is the first link i posted)

What is a mechanical license?
A mechanical license is the license issued by a publisher to a licensee, typically a record company, granting the licensee the right to record and release a specific compostion at an agreed-upon fee, per unit manufactured and distributed.
(source is http://www.harryfox.com/public/infoFAQMechanicalLicensing.jsp

a SONG and a RECORDING are not the same thing

a song exists as soon as its composition is complete - lyrics and music - (intellectual property)
btw:  yrics wtihout music is not a song
a recording is a physical manifestation of the song - (it becomes tangible property)
seems to me that publishers handle the biusiness of whatever is done with the song
such as whether it take the form of an audio recording or if it be printed sheet music or printed lyrics

btw... the links contain some very interesting stuff (to me anyways! hehe)
like according to the info i've read  at least HALF of the money that is paid to the publisher by the recording label goes to the artist
versus only 18% of what the record company takes in going to the artist

Now what I'd like to know is about the actual manufacturing process of a record, of a compact disc manufacturing plant (The plant that DOES the actual, physical, that-you-can-hold-in-your-hands albums...). And what level of PRIVACY do these have.. can an album be done in total secrecy?
SADIS
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2005, 12:26:14 PM »

It's now officialy on Sanctuary's website!

www.sanctuarygroup.com
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2005, 02:05:45 PM »

the fact that sanctuary is officially the publisher of "dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music" implies that those tracks are completed...a track that is not complete or in existance cannot be protected/published...

also, the fact that axl is making a deal to publish/protect these new tracks STRONGLY implies that these tracks will be released an available to the public...this is looking very good...it looks like this a huge step toward the release
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2005, 04:03:36 PM »

the fact that sanctuary is officially the publisher of "dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music" implies that those tracks are completed...a track that is not complete or in existance cannot be protected/published...

also, the fact that axl is making a deal to publish/protect these new tracks STRONGLY implies that these tracks will be released an available to the public...this is looking very good...it looks like this a huge step toward the release

I totally agree...for the first time in awhile, some "official" good news from the GnR camp.
Although it says nothing about an imminent CD release, it has to be in the near future.
And "dozens of new songs" is stated from Sanctuary themselves, not from an unreliable source. That is VERY exciting.

Mateoson
Rocker

Free Axl!

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2005, 04:05:19 PM »

I totally agree. Now all we have to do is hurry up and wait some more. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnit.... shit. At least we know something is happening and axl didn't die or something.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2005, 04:08:39 PM »

rant The Die is cast! Cross the Rubicon! Dam that river, Yay!?!!?!!?!!? rant

Cheesy I like the bit they say "dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music."
Perhaps they are now submitting them to Universal Music, or else they have already handed them in. Cool
Am I making too too a fuss?
Mateoson
Rocker

Free Axl!

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2005, 04:09:31 PM »

Dozen = 12

Dozens = 24 +

ok

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2005, 04:48:36 PM »

Yeah, dozens means more than 24..... It could mean 25 or 72.  ok

Now, without getting too excited, the timing of this is interesting. Why sign a new deal now?

Oh, and for all the people who bitch about never getting any news about what's going on with the album. Read the Sanctuary web site. It's there:

The deal covers both future material and catalogue. Rose's contribution to such hits as "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City" and "November Rain" are covered under the deal, as are dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2005, 04:56:46 PM »

wow  Shocked so much? and these are finished products? best news in months beer

Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2005, 05:00:03 PM »

I checked www.ASCAP.com this morning, seeing if any new songs were listed.
Nothing yet, but eventually...that information should become public knowledge
on their website I would guess.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2005, 05:27:24 PM »

www.sanctuarygroup.com

awesome  ok

question is... when is Blabbermouth gonna pick this up? hihi
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2005, 05:33:31 PM »

ahh! This really is GREAT! The laste words in that article says it all!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2005, 05:37:19 PM »

www.sanctuarygroup.com

awesome? ok

question is... when is Blabbermouth gonna pick this up? hihi

yeah...blabbermouth already has it on their site:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=31996

and they're not the only ones...this story has already been posted on a bunch of other music sites...this is no small deal
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 05:40:11 PM by blues rocker » Logged
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2005, 06:01:25 PM »

I don?t know exactly what does this mean... but I feel it's happening at last !!!!
And I'm fucking excited !!!!!!!!!

//JK
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2005, 06:02:28 PM »

some dude\admin from a rumourboard or something told about this last week...
think it said: expect update next week or something... rememer it?

anyway, good karma 4 him ?ok

--DEA--
Rocker

Try it!!

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2005, 06:06:52 PM »

WOW.. this is wonderful news.. I hope we will get alot of new fresh news the upcoming weeks  beer  peace
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2005, 06:11:04 PM »

WOW.. this is wonderful news.. I hope we will get alot of new fresh news the upcoming weeks? beer? peace

Yeah! But we atleast have something to hang our positive minds on now!
I have a great feeling for February!  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: