Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Death penalty, Abortion, Gun Control, War in Iraq-give your 2 cents
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death penalty, Abortion, Gun Control, War in Iraq-give your 2 cents  (Read 26280 times)
RichardNixon
« on: December 19, 2004, 08:36:18 AM »

Death penalty- I am against the death penalty in all cases. (1) It is wrong to kill, unless it is in self-defense. No human has the right to take the life of another human. It's barbaric (2) It doesn't deterrer crime anymore so than life in prison. Sure a person will think twice about committing a crime if they think they will be executed; but no more so if they think they will spend the rest of their life in prison.

Abortion- I am pro-choice. While abortion is sad and the rates should be reduced, banning abortion would be a terrible idea. Women would still seek out abortion. They would go to Europe where abortion is legal if they had the money, or they would use a coat-hanger or go to a hack-doctor.

Gun Control-Ban all hand guns and assault weapons. What do you need them for? Let's have a crackdown and take all guns off the streets. Only rifles should be legal for hunters.

War in Iraq- A terrible, terrible mistake. The whole reason to go to war was WMD, and there were none. Why didn't Bush just let Hans Blix finish the job and look for himself? Why the big rush to go to war. Remember when Rusmfeld and Bush said "We know they have weapons" and Rice said "We can't let the final proof be a mushroom cloud." What a bunch of bullshit. And they said "We'd be greeted as liberators." Yeah, right...And now were in this terrible mess. Let me tell you something. We are never going to win this war in Iraq. And here is why...The war in Iraq is similar to Vietnam in the sense that we (The Americans) are seen as unwelcome invaders. The people (the North Vietnamese, the Viet Cong and the Iraqis) are fighting for nationalism--and they will keep fighting until we leave. Someday there might be "elections" and a puppet government installed, but it will be overthrown as soon as we leave. The people of Iraq do not want or welcome a Western-style democracy. The whole concept is totally alien to them. What they want is some kind of Islamic Theocracy. The other problem is that there are so many factions-Shiites, Sunnis, and Kurds---I really don't know how they will be able to get along. It's a terrible, terrible mess and I haven't a clue what to do to fix it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 08:40:27 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 09:10:34 AM »

death penalty - should set up a reality tv show, where you can win the right to kill someone

abor - its pretty fun, should be live on tv

gun control - i always try to save as much ammos as i can in videos games, cause i always keep the big guns for the last boss

war in iraq - too far

2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 09:18:52 AM »

Death Penalty - Wrong.
Abortion - Even though i think abortion is morally wrong (if my partner was considering it my opinion would be no, but in the end its her body) i believe it should be legal and available.
Gun Control - Lots of guns = Lots of gun death. Few guns - few gun deaths.  I'll let you make your own minds up, but you'd be a fool and a communist to draw a connection between owning a gun and shooting someone and not owning a gun and not shooting someone with it.
War In Iraq - Don't get me started. Oh so very wrong.
GnRNightrain
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 12:07:24 PM »

Death penalty= for it if it is administered properly.? I do have reservations about it and its deterrence effect.

Abortion= against it.? Certain situations where I can see the argument for it.? However, I still fail to see any logic in those that ar OK with abortion but are against the death penalty.

Gun Control= certainly against assault weapons.? However, most guns used in crimes are not purchased legally.? Furthermore, many try to compare us to certain European countries where there is a ban on guns, however they dont have the immigration we have.

Iraq= Given the information Bush had, I would have probably made the same decision.? In hindsight, I think there are good arguments on both sides.?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 12:09:55 PM by GnRNightrain » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 01:35:25 PM »

Death Penalty - I am not totally against the Death Penalty, although I feel it should only be enforced under the most appropriate circumstances.

Abortion - I support abortion and feel it is the right of the expecting mother and father to exercise their right to have an abortion if the baby is unwanted or will not be adequitly supported if born.

Gun Control - Im against weapons that have no purpose in being created in the first place, and also feel that the more guns there are, mores deaths are possible and just waiting to happen.

Iraq - Totally against this war, there is no point whatsoever to it in the first place. Iraq had never threatened or attacked the US ever, and this is all about the oil from what I can see.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 01:37:48 PM »

death penalty: I think everyone that feels it's right to kill somebody, is mentally unbalanced
abortin: dunno, i'm not a girl
gun controll: guns is for military, police and hunters
war in iraq: war is always a defeat, maybe time will tell

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 04:15:30 PM »

Gun Control= certainly against assault weapons.? However, most guns used in crimes are not purchased legally.? Furthermore, many try to compare us to certain European countries where there is a ban on guns, however they dont have the immigration we have.

What tha fuck u on?

Most guns used in crimes illegally purchased? Certainly true over here, but in the states - why would a criminal ''illegally'' buy a gun he can legally buy? That makes no sense man.

European nations don't have the immigration u have??

1) why have gun control and immigration got anything to do with each other? U gonna shoot foriegners?! That point baffles me..... immigration means u need guns?
2) i'd hazard a guess that immigration to Britain is, percentage wise, atleast as bad (or good depending on ur outlook on these people...) as it is in America, so again, what u on???

Quick! To the bandwagon!
GnRNightrain
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 05:29:47 PM »

What tha fuck u on?
Nice way to start a conversation ok Roll Eyes

Most guns used in crimes illegally purchased? Certainly true over here, but in the states - why would a criminal ''illegally'' buy a gun he can legally buy? That makes no sense man.
Because criminals cant buy guns.  There are laws against criminals buying guns.  Many young kids who also do a lot of the gang shootings arent 18, and get their guns illegally.  It is a fact that most guns used in crimes were purchased illegally.  It makes perfect sense if you know how the system works.  Ive worked for two different district attorneys and Ive had this told to me many, many times. 

Certainly.  Im not sure what country you have in mind for a direct comparison.  Many European countries have immigration, but not like the US, where it is poor, poor people coming from a neighboring country.  These people move to the inner-cities, are not educated and end up joining gangs and committing crimes.  There are very few European countries that have immigration from poor countries in such high numbers.

1) why have gun control and immigration got anything to do with each other? U gonna shoot foriegners?! That point baffles me..... immigration means u need guns?
It shouldnt baffle you.  There is a direct correlation between immigration from poor nations and crime.  People use comparisons with the crime rate in the US to show that it is all because of guns.  Sure some of it could be becaues of guns, but not many countries get the inner city ghettos that we get from letting such large numbers of poor immigrants into our country.  So any direct comparison with crime rate is skewed.  You get the connection now?

2) i'd hazard a guess that immigration to Britain is, percentage wise, atleast as bad (or good depending on ur outlook on these people...) as it is in America, so again, what u on???
I have no problem with immigrants.  My family immigrated over here back in the day.  Im not saying anything against the people, Im just simply saying it is hard to make a direct comparison between two nations when they are completely different.  For us, our crime numbers are skewed because of immigration in certain areas.  Just like our education system.  Im not saying guns dont play any role, but there are many other factors as well. 

Immigration in Britain is high percentage wise.  However, they dont have the same number of poor country immigrants that the US has with Mexico.  At our border anyone comes over from the poor countries.  Immigration in Europe is far more strictly regulated. 
jgfnsr
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 05:45:50 PM »

Just my 2 cents?

Death Penalty -? For...

Abortion - Against...

Gun Control - Depends...

War in Iraq - For...
Chris Misfit
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 05:49:30 PM »

death penalty - should set up a reality tv show, where you can win the right to kill someone

abor - its pretty fun, should be live on tv

gun control - i always try to save as much ammos as i can in videos games, cause i always keep the big guns for the last boss

war in iraq - too far

I loved it when you tried to be funny, but failed.
jgfnsr
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 06:05:10 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me how many people have a moral argument against the death penalty, yet are in support of abortion.?

They'll defend the life of an adult convict on death-row before the life of an unborn child.

Maybe if they were against both they would have an argument.? At least their position would be consistent... Tongue

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 06:22:33 PM »

Death penalty= for it if it is administered properly.  I do have reservations about it and its deterrence effect.

Abortion= against it.  Certain situations where I can see the argument for it.  However, I still fail to see any logic in those that ar OK with abortion but are against the death penalty.

Out of curiosity, what's the logic in those that are OK with the death penalty, but are against abortions?

I loved it when you tried to be funny, but failed.

rofl rofl rofl
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 06:23:07 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me how many people have a moral argument against the death penalty, yet are in support of abortion.?

They'll defend the life of an adult convict on death-row before the life of an unborn child.

Maybe if they were against both they would have an argument.? At least their position would be consistent... Tongue

Maybe they think it's too different things..ever thought of that?
jgfnsr
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 06:48:52 PM »

Out of curiosity, what's the logic in those that are OK with the death penalty, but are against abortions?

Hmmm...let's see here.

Death Penalty - an adult who has been convicted of a heinous crime and found worthy of capital punishment.

Abortion - an innocent, unborn child.

Pretty self-explanatory isn't it?
jgfnsr
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 06:56:40 PM »

Maybe they think it's too different things..ever thought of that?

I completely agree that the death penalty and abortion are two different things.

My point was that, if a person finds themself defending a convict's "right to life" before a babies', they should probably re-evaluate their moral-paradigm...
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 06:57:11 PM »

If you are against abortion, basically, you believe in 2 premises.

1. It is wrong to kill a human being.
2. A foetus is a human being.
erego, its wrong to kill a foetus.

Reversing that if you believe it is wrong to kill a foetus then you must believe it is wrong to kill a human being.

I can't see an argument that would allow someone to be able to morally support the death penalty but not support the right to abortion. However it's quite plausable to support abortion and not the death penaltly as all you have to do is reject premise number 2.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 06:57:39 PM »

what about sperm? does that count as unborn, innocent child?

It's a hard topic, the abortion thing, but i think it's ok with the pills thats preventin any evolving

but murder is what mentally sick people do, and death-penalty should be illegal under any circumstanse

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jgfnsr
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 07:02:19 PM »

Reversing that if you believe it is wrong to kill a foetus then you must believe it is wrong to kill a human being.

I can't see an argument that would allow someone to be able to morally support the death penalty but not support the right to abortion. However it's quite plausable to support abortion and not the death penaltly as all you have to do is reject premise number 2.

Please.

I realize that many use your second premise.  It's a cop-out.  Just like the "it's the woman's body" argument... Roll Eyes
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 07:02:45 PM »

Certainly.  Im not sure what country you have in mind for a direct comparison.  Many European countries have immigration, but not like the US, where it is poor, poor people coming from a neighboring country.  These people move to the inner-cities, are not educated and end up joining gangs and committing crimes.  There are very few European countries that have immigration from poor countries in such high numbers.

thats so naive

http://www.ecre.org/factfile/facts.shtml

asylum applications 2000-2002, every year in the UK there were more applications than in the USA, and the US is 5 times larger than the UK...European Union has had 4 times more applications than the USA which is a closer comparison...do you not regard Ukraine, Czech Republic, Romania etc etc as poor countries?

have you ever been to london? you will see that all the menial jobs are taken up by blacks and foreigners....and there are plenty of gangs here...in fact its quite an issue at the moment with new legislation going though parliament...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 07:23:06 PM »

a foetus/embryo is not a human being, a human being is conscious thing with emotions ...but a foetus doesnt have that ability until a certain development age...when does a foetus change to a conscious human?...when it splits into 2 cells? 4 cells? 120000 cells?...i dont think anyone knows...

there is also the issue of choice...if a person chose to become pregnant then they should have the choice up until the foetus becomes conscious to have an abortion...

i dont even know the law on this...i think you can have an abortion up to 20 weeks after conception in the UK...i think this maybe should be shortened to 12 weeks...i think 3 months is long enough to know what the parents want to do

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: