Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:19:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Queen / Queen + Paul Rodgers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Queen / Queen + Paul Rodgers  (Read 53591 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2005, 04:46:25 PM »

Launch Radio Networks reports: The QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS European tour will be spotlighted on a live album this fall. It's called "Queen + Paul Rodgers Rock Live", and it should come out September 13. The first single released from the package will have two songs ? "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Reaching Out"/"Tie Your Mother Down"

QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS are getting ready to announces shows for later this year in New York City and Los Angeles, with tickets likely to go on sale in July. They'll also play in Aruba on October 8 and Tokyo, Japan, on October 26.

There are just a few dates left on their European tour, which resumes July 2 in Lisbon, Portugal, and ends July 10 in Arnhem, The Netherlands.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2005, 04:52:47 PM »

How about South America??

No man can be my equal
Lord Blackadder
Rocker

BlAdder

« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2005, 07:03:15 AM »

I got a dvd of one of the shows on the tour and its pretty fuckin awsome..Definetly worth checking out..Brian and Rodger sing jsut as many songs and Paul does..Rodger sings Radio-Ga-Ga and a few others..Show opens with Tie Your mother Down..and Freddie sings the first half of Bohemian Rhapsody on the big screen from the live bowl..Then during the middle its like a tribute to him then at the end they all sing together its pretty cool..And they play Alrigth now by pauls old band Free..Good show

Well, what does the new guy sound like? Is his voice similar? Style?

Have you never heard of Paul Rodgers? All Right Now? Feel Like Makin Love? Fire And Water?

Also. Dates are rumoured for L.A and NYC sometime before the year is out.

I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2005, 02:22:23 PM »

Launch Radio Networks reports: The QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS tour that was expected to hit North America later this summer or in early fall has now been officially bumped into next year. QUEEN guitarist Brian May confirmed what Launch reported last week ? that the Western Hemisphere will get a few key shows in 2005, but the bulk of the road work on this continent will be in the early part of 2006. "The current plan is to come and do Aruba, which is a long story ? don't even ask! (laughs) ? and, and then to do New York and L.A. and make a little noise, and then hit Japan, where we have an offer to do some fairly big stuff, and then get back to the States to do the main stuff in the spring," May said.

QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS have a couple of shows left in Europe in early July. They've already announced shows in Aruba on October 8 and Tokyo, Japan, on October 26.

A live album called "Queen + Paul Rodgers Rock Live" will come out September 13. The first single will be "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Reaching Out"/"Tie Your Mother Down".

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2005, 08:37:58 PM »

Set List From Lisbon

Reaching Out
Tie Your Mother Down
I Want To Break Free
Fat Bottomed Girls
Wishing Well
Another One Bites The Dust
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Say It's Not True
'39
Love Of My Life
Hammer To Fall
Feel Like Making Love
Drum solo
I'm In Love With My Car
Guitar solo
Last Horizon
These Are The Days Of Our Lives
Radio Ga Ga
Can't Get Enough
A Kind Of Magic
I Want It All
Bohemian Rhapsody
---
Show Must Go On
All Right Now
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2005, 06:47:52 AM »

God, I still can't believe that I won't see them tomorrow. I was going to last Friday but the fuckers that bombed London ruined the whole thing, besides killing all those innocent people.

At least the guy who answered my call at ticketmaster was kind enough to call the promoter and explain the situation so I got my money back. I was supposed to call until yesterday but I didn't know that until 2 hours ago. I called and explained the situation, so I'm getting a refund for 3 tickets. 200 euros are too much to spend away for nothing...

Lord Blackadder
Rocker

BlAdder

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2005, 03:37:44 PM »

Why the hell didn't you just go to the rescheduled concert tomorrow (15th July)?

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2005, 05:31:16 PM »

Why the hell didn't you just go to the rescheduled concert tomorrow (15th July)?

Cause I'm from Greece and I couldn't reschedule my trip to London?

Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2005, 02:15:25 PM »

The Hyde Park show is now being broadcast live on planet rock radio (www.planetrock.com). Brings back many happy memories of an evening I had in Newcastle two long months ago...

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »

Cause I'm from Greece and I couldn't reschedule my trip to London?

Oh my God you should be very pissed that your travel was all for nothing due to those estupid attacks, man people like that make me sick hate those bombers bastards  rant

No man can be my equal
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2005, 02:32:11 AM »

I've been listening to this silly band some lately. So far, I haven't been very imressed. Brian May hasn't played any great guitar solo in any of the songs I've heard. I've heard all of Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack, and Some Kind of Magic. Freddy Mercury doesn't really sing that well in the classic albums. He has a naturally beautiful voice, but he doesn't do the screams he IS capable of doing in the old albums, but he does show off his range in SKOM. Gimme The Prize shows off his skill well. Maybe Halford had to sing like that first for a while until Mercury got the picture.

Songs like Ogre Battle, Fairy Feller, Nevermore, and The 7 Seas of Rhye are good for Queen II, but it certainly isn't the epic rock opera I've been told it is. Sheer Heart Attack is the opposite of Queen II; the A side is solid, but it gets bad as the record goes on.

It's decent rock music, but I just don't see the hype. They just sound like a watered down version of Judas Priest to me. Mercury doesn't SCREEEAM like he could, May doesn't shred, and, um, the other guys just don't stand out at all.  Undecided
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2005, 07:00:53 AM »

I've been listening to this silly band some lately. So far, I haven't been very imressed. Brian May hasn't played any great guitar solo in any of the songs I've heard. I've heard all of Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack, and Some Kind of Magic. Freddy Mercury doesn't really sing that well in the classic albums. He has a naturally beautiful voice, but he doesn't do the screams he IS capable of doing in the old albums, but he does show off his range in SKOM. Gimme The Prize shows off his skill well. Maybe Halford had to sing like that first for a while until Mercury got the picture.

Songs like Ogre Battle, Fairy Feller, Nevermore, and The 7 Seas of Rhye are good for Queen II, but it certainly isn't the epic rock opera I've been told it is. Sheer Heart Attack is the opposite of Queen II; the A side is solid, but it gets bad as the record goes on.

It's decent rock music, but I just don't see the hype. They just sound like a watered down version of Judas Priest to me. Mercury doesn't SCREEEAM like he could, May doesn't shred, and, um, the other guys just don't stand out at all.? Undecided

U are such a bore

No one else cares about screams in their music. Grown men screaming is postively strange anyway. Why does everyone of ur posts have to relate to Judas Priest anyway?

May doesn't shred because unsurprisingly he isn't trying to be Judas Priest confused

Queen are a deliberately camp glam band, and if u don't like that, well....i'm sure someone cares....somewhere

The albums u mentioned are okay but Queen do much better later on, Queen are more of a singles band, personally i think 'The Miracle' and 'Innuendo' are the albums to focus on, and GH 1 is a must own.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2005, 08:09:20 AM »

Queen is a great band, like with Guns each member stands out in what they do and the melodies are never boring and always strong
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2005, 09:29:58 AM »

The only thing good about Queen is Brian May...  Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2005, 02:06:32 PM »

U are such a bore

No one else cares about screams in their music. Grown men screaming is postively strange anyway. Why does everyone of ur posts have to relate to Judas Priest anyway?

They're one of the best bands of the 70's. I compared them to Queen because both bands have extraordinary lead singers, but Mercury always seems to hold back. He seems to do ballads WAY too much. They have their place, but they are too prevalent in Queen.

May doesn't shred because unsurprisingly he isn't trying to be Judas Priest confused

If he's such a legendary guitar player, I was hoping to hear more of his reputed skill. I don't hear any great solos or riffs or anything. He's good, but I don't see what the fuss is about. I wouldn't expect him to equal Judas Priest, since Judas Priest has 2 guitarists, it isn't a fair comparison! I mentioned Judas Priest to compare singers, not guitarists. I just wish May would throw out more Ogre Battle-ish riffs in the other songs. That one song, at least, proves he does have skill, but he holds back too often.

Queen are a deliberately camp glam band, and if u don't like that, well....i'm sure someone cares....somewhere

The albums u mentioned are okay but Queen do much better later on, Queen are more of a singles band, personally i think 'The Miracle' and 'Innuendo' are the albums to focus on, and GH 1 is a must own.

I don't mind the cheesiness or glam aspect of Queen. But glam bands like Motley Crue and Twisted Sister have put out entire albums without throwaway tracks. My expectations were too high, I guess. You're definitely right that Queen is a singles band, as they do have some excellent songs. As a whole, their albums are just disappointing. I listen to bands on an album basis, so that explains why I don't dig them.

Maybe that explains the popularity of their greatest hits record, hmm?
Lord Blackadder
Rocker

BlAdder

« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2005, 10:42:02 AM »

It's decent rock music, but I just don't see the hype. They just sound like a watered down version of Judas Priest to me. Mercury doesn't SCREEEAM like he could, May doesn't shred, and, um, the other guys just don't stand out at all.? Undecided

Queen are one of the greatest bands of all time. These are a couple of the reasons why...

- Each member individually wrote songs. Queen are the only band in which all members have written a number 1 hit.

Example:
We Will Rock You (May) Number 1 in France
Radio Ga Ga (Taylor) Number 1 in Spain
Another One Bites The Dust (Deacon) Number 1 in U.S.A
Bohemian Rhapsody (Mercury) Number 1 in England

- Freddie Mercury is the greatest vocalist ever in modern music. If you look at it fairly and not being bias then you'll see he can out-sing everyone. Listen to Somebody To Love and The Show Must Go On in particular, and you'll see.

- Brian May is easily in the top 5 guitarists ever as far as I'm concerned. He's up there with Page, Hendrix and Ol' Slash. You obviously haven't been listening to the albums you say you have if you say you can't here any solo's. The opening track on Sheer Heart Attack is called Brighton Rock and it's almost nothing but huge riffs and scaling solo's. And why you chose A Kind Of Magic to listen to is beyond me. That is their worst album by far IMO. It's just pop-crap mostly. For great guitar playing listen to the following Queen songs...
Tie Your Mother Down
Bohemian Rhapsody
Now I'm Here
Brighton Rock
Killer Queen
Don't Stop Me Now
These Are The Days Of Our Lives
Innuendo
I Want It All
Hammer To Fall
Father To Son
and more.

You seem to be under the impression that everyone should be like Judas Priset. It's not even nearly the same sort of music. Judas preist is very heavy. Queen ain't.

Also your comment about Motley Crue and Twisted Sister is just laughable.

And if you really wanna see Brian May playing as only he can then go and buy Queen: On Fire Live At The Bowl. Live Brian May's guitar just soars. Some amazing guitar playing on Tie Your Mother Down and Fat Bottomed Girls in particular. Get It.

Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2005, 03:34:43 PM »

Brian May has created some of the most memorable solos in Rock music whereas nobody really knows any Judas Priest solos...

..and A Kind of Magic is an excellent album even though I agree it's not their best

..queen is showmanship, over the top crazy mad and colourful exuberance...give me Queen over Priest anyday

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2005, 07:07:44 PM »

The Hellion, Beyond the Realms of Death, Dreamer Deceiver, The Sentinel, Sinner, Exciter, Freewheel Burning, and Painkiller all have solos that are more or less recognizable from the first 3 notes, and classic in their own ways. Judas Priest have very, very few rivals when it comes to putting together incredible guitar solos. I'm not upset that May doesn't even come close to this level of skill. He could just put together more "rocker" songs and less ballads.

Brighton Rock is a great song, though. The Prophet's Song is another great one that shows what Queen is good at. They do have nice songs here and there, but they're not in the same league as Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. A Kind of Magic is an entertaining album, but it's just a different style from the older albums.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2005, 07:31:10 PM »

The Hellion, Beyond the Realms of Death, Dreamer Deceiver, The Sentinel, Sinner, Exciter, Freewheel Burning, and Painkiller all have solos that are more or less recognizable from the first 3 notes, and classic in their own ways. Judas Priest have very, very few rivals when it comes to putting together incredible guitar solos. I'm not upset that May doesn't even come close to this level of skill. He could just put together more "rocker" songs and less ballads.

Brighton Rock is a great song, though. The Prophet's Song is another great one that shows what Queen is good at. They do have nice songs here and there, but they're not in the same league as Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. A Kind of Magic is an entertaining album, but it's just a different style from the older albums.

you speak as a fan, not as an average individual...ive never met a fan of judas priest, but met plenty of queen fans...i doubt the average person could name a judas priest song never mind a solo...Queen had so many anthemic songs people could sing to and people know many of their songs

i find Deep Purple dull and Queen have certainly played far more styles and experimented far more than Zeppelin or Deep Purple

Neither of them could come close to creating the haunting Who wants to live forever nor the masterpiece of Bohemian Rhapsody nor the reflective Those are the days nor the explosive and operatic Flash or The show must go on...

some of the early albums are a bit too weird for me though

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2005, 09:43:14 PM »

Oh no, not the popularity arguement.  Undecided Judas Priest's early albums aren't given nearly the credit they deserve. Their obscure status doesn't take anything away from their greatness.

If you don't like Deep Purple, get Made in Japan. That one album should convince you that they're one of the premier bands of the 70's. They are possibly more important to music than Led Zeppelin because of their complex guitar/keyboard melodies, while Zep did too much guitar wankery and 15 minute drum solos. Wink At the same time, Deep Purple can be VERY experimental (the live 20 minute version of Space Truckin' is awesome, even though it's 4x longer than the original!), yet still be coherant and interesting.

Overall, Queen II is the best album I have of theirs. It really picks up in the latter half, and it grows on you. It was worth getting. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: