Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Album recommendations?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Album recommendations?  (Read 22130 times)
MCT
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2003, 11:06:32 AM »

People mentioning Nirvana.......yet omitting "Bleach"..... no...............what a disgrace......

Buckethead - "Monsters And Robots"
Steve Vai - "Fire Garden Suite"
Silverchair - "Diorama"
Alice In Chains - "Jar Of Flies"
Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality
Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer (Dio on vox)
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Ozzy - No More Tears
Black Label Society - Blessed Hellride
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2003, 02:34:55 PM »

People mentioning Nirvana.......yet omitting "Bleach"..... no...............what a disgrace......

It might be because the album just isnt very good.

Its not even in the same league as their other albums...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2003, 02:48:16 PM »

Marilyn Manson - Mechanical animals

No way.  Theres hardly one classic song on here (you could argue for "Dope Show" and "Come White").  Theres some good tracks like "Rock Is Dead" and "Great Big White World" but most it is pretty damn bland.  Toward the end of the CD theres two or three faceless, fast-paced "electronica" tracks in a row that really showcase the album weakness.  You could certainly argue that Antichrist Superstar is a classic (and I think it is for a lot of reasons, but mainly because the musics very good), but Mechanical Animals is an impossible sell.

Got to disagree there, Mechanical animals is in my view Manson's strongest effort overal. It is the only album to show his strength as a singer. The album is very different from his other stuff, you might even describe it as mellow. It shows a more sensitive side to him and has a greater lyrical depth than any other offering by him. The album isn't metal and that disappointed many but i think it has a lot to offer.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 02:49:00 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2003, 03:03:17 PM »

No way.  Theres hardly one classic song on here (you could argue for "Dope Show" and "Come White").  Theres some good tracks like "Rock Is Dead" and "Great Big White World" but most it is pretty damn bland.  Toward the end of the CD theres two or three faceless, fast-paced "electronica" tracks in a row that really showcase the album weakness.  You could certainly argue that Antichrist Superstar is a classic (and I think it is for a lot of reasons, but mainly because the musics very good), but Mechanical Animals is an impossible sell.

Got to disagree there, Mechanical animals is in my view Manson's strongest effort overal. It is the only album to show his strength as a singer. The album is very different from his other stuff, you might even describe it as mellow. It shows a more sensitive side to him and has a greater lyrical depth than any other offering by him. The album isn't metal and that disappointed many but i think it has a lot to offer.

Okay, give some examples - songs, lyrics.  Because I have a hard to understanding how anyone can put this over Antichrist Superstar.  That album to me is like a sequel to The Downward Spiral, and is just as good...maybe better.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2003, 03:08:41 PM »

The Four Horsemen: Nobody Said It Was Easy

Bluesy, hard rock... solos, the singer is real good, sounds like Axl (and also changes his voice to suit some songs)

A great album, too bad it's their only true release---the drummer od', and Frankie Starr, the singer got into a motorcycle accident, went into a coma, and died 4-5 years later no

Try and check it out ok

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2003, 03:13:20 PM »

Okay, give some examples - songs, lyrics.  Because I have a hard to understanding how anyone can put this over Antichrist Superstar.  That album to me is like a sequel to The Downward Spiral, and is just as good...maybe better.

It's funny booker, I've thought of Superstar as a kind of sequel to Downward Spiral as well, with Trent producing............ almost like the darker side of Trent comming out courtesy of Manson and this album--It could very well be better than Downward Spiral

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2003, 03:51:17 PM »

It might be because the album just isnt very good.

Its not even in the same league as their other albums...

It may not be, but it's probably the only real grunge album Nirvana released.

I rate it higher than any of their other albums, it never got boring and dull, like In Utero or Nevermind.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2003, 04:01:36 PM »

Yo, chill

At the end of the day its all personal taste, at the start i merely stated my approval of this album, then tried to justify that. My views aren't based on facts or figures....

For me Mechanical animals is his best album, okay it doesn't have his best songs but as an album it is consistantly good, where as the other fluctuate. On this album i feel Manson is just trying to be a regular singer, singing about life, as opposed to the goth metal of other outings. I can relate to it more, and when listening i hear more emotional depth than on the other albums.

Antichrist superstar is a good album and Holywood is exceptionally good (at least 50% of that album is songs of the highest order) But as an album i prefer Mechanincal animals

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2003, 04:27:14 PM »

Yo, chill

confused

At the end of the day its all personal taste, at the start i merely stated my approval of this album, then tried to justify that. My views aren't based on facts or figures....

Yeah, and Im just asking what you like so much about it.  You cant handle that?

For me Mechanical animals is his best album, okay it doesn't have his best songs but as an album it is consistantly good, where as the other fluctuate. On this album i feel Manson is just trying to be a regular singer, singing about life, as opposed to the goth metal of other outings. I can relate to it more, and when listening i hear more emotional depth than on the other albums.

See, you could have cut everything before this and it would have been good.

Youre still not giving examples - again, Im just curious to see what you like, Im not out to get you.  If you dont want to, thats fine.

It may not be, but it's probably the only real grunge album Nirvana released.

In what sense - that its got murky production?  Its not very melodic?

To me, thats why the album isnt very good.  And the classification of whether this is "grunge," or that is "grunge," or "grunge" is better, etc. is meaningless.

I rate it higher than any of their other albums, it never got boring and dull, like In Utero or Nevermind.

Hmm...I think the exact opposite.

Feel free to elaborate...

It's funny booker, I've thought of Superstar as a kind of sequel to Downward Spiral as well, with Trent producing............ almost like the darker side of Trent comming out courtesy of Manson and this album--It could very well be better than Downward Spiral

Yeah...it sounds like what I imagine NIN would have done if they put out the DS follow-up in '96.  "Tourniquet" is a really great song.   "Cryptochid" is bizarre and very cool, "Beautiful People" is a classic single, the title track is a great anthem with the pounding drums and crowd chants, and "The Man That You Fear" is pretty haunting.  The other tracks are good as well ("Mister Superstar"s got a nice rhythm).  Nothing on MA, except "Coma White," approaches the level of these songs.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2003, 04:34:54 PM »

No, but I think the production adds to it. Grunge was made by the people, I don't think you can capture that with 2 billion spent on production.

I think the guitars are alot more grunge on Bleach, it's alot more melodic IMO than their later stuff, and it rules.

Anyway, Grunge is bollocks. The Melvins rule.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2003, 04:44:08 PM »

No, but I think the production adds to it. Grunge was made by the people, I don't think you can capture that with 2 billion spent on production.

I think the guitars are alot more grunge on Bleach, it's alot more melodic IMO than their later stuff, and it rules.

Anyway, Grunge is bollocks. The Melvins rule.

Okay, can we lose the word "grunge"?  Because the contexts in which youre using it is confusing, and Im almost sure it doesnt really mean anything.

You honestly think Bleach is more melodic than their later work??  Youve got an odd sense of melody, because I dont think anyone can argue that.  Ive certainly never heard that before.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2003, 04:50:22 PM »

Because the contexts in which youre using it is confusing, and Im almost sure it doesnt really mean anything.

How so? When Grunge started, it got that name from the sound of the guitars, did it not? In Nirvanas Bleach album, the guitars are what I would call Grunge, in later efforts, it was watered down.

You honestly think Bleach is more melodic than their later work??  Youve got an odd sense of melody, because I dont think anyone can argue that.

Yes. But then I listen to alot of Hardcore and Thrash so my musical taste can be quite different sometimes, so to speak.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2003, 04:51:04 PM »

Yeah, and Im just asking what you like so much about it.  You cant handle that?

Geez, bad day at the office? Go back through the posts, Nick83 asked albums people recommend, i did that. U take me to court, why? Am i not allowed to like that album? Why do i even need to explain why i like it? Isn't it enough that it just clicks with me?

U need to calm down.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2003, 06:55:03 PM »

two classic albums that never get the recognition they deserve:

Zeppelin IV - right there with AFD as what i would consider the greatest album ever.

"Reign in Blood" by Slayer - if you like metal, this is a must. it's only 29 minutes long, very intense.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
darkdays_01
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2003, 07:04:36 PM »

I'll throw some of my favorite albums in here not necesarilly classics but oh well:

The Jayhawks: Hollywood Town Hall, Tomorrow the Green Grass, Rainy Day Music.

Foo Fighters : the Colour and the Shape
Def Leppard : Slang, pretty much anything by these guys.
GnR: Appettie, same goes here pretty much entire catalog .
Izzy Stradlin: Ju Ju Hounds album
Duff McKagan : Dark Days , Beautiful Disease
Neil Young: After The Goldrush, Zuma, Tonights the Night
Nirvana: In Utero
STP: Tiny Music
Everclear: So Much For the Afterglow
Soul Asylum : Grave dancers Union
Green Day : Kerplunk
Golden Smog: On Golden Smog
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2003, 07:06:33 PM »

two classic albums that never get the recognition they deserve:

Zeppelin IV

Zepp's been given a lot of cred and recognition over the years...

----IV is the one with "whole lot a love" on it, right? Oh yeah!! peace

darkdays_01
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2003, 07:13:31 PM »

Zeppelin has gotten alot of cred , but they deserve it, My favorite Zep albums are II, III and Houses of The Holy, IV is a classic but i am burnt on it, never the less great album.
the Dirt "Whole Lotta Love" is on Zep II i think, cant remember.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2003, 02:48:09 PM »

zeppelin does get credit, but their albums never get the credit they deserve. they are arguably the greatest band ever, but because they played hard rock, they're not darlings of the critics. whenever those lists come out, rarely do you see a zeppelin album in the top 20. and personally i think that's ridiculous (almost as ridiculous as AFD not cracking the top 50!!).

but anyway, another recommendation....

motley crue's first two albums are by far their best - shout at the devil and too fast for love - ballzy hard rock with no cheese.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
journey
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2003, 06:54:11 PM »

Tonic - Lemon Parade
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Nazareth - Hair of the Dog
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
E.L.O - A New World Record
Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting
Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
The Who - The Who By Numbers
Rush - Chronicles
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Otis Redding - The Definitive
Bob Marley - Legend
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Van Morrison - Best Of
Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Matchbox Twenty - Yourself or Someone Like You
David Gray - White Ladder
Journey - Greatest Hits
Bryan Adams - So Far So Good
AC/DC - Back In Black
Michelle Young - Marked For Madness
Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2003, 01:29:51 PM »

Gilby Clarke - pawnshop guitars, surprisingly good album and all our GNR favourites appear in one form or another.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: