Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 09:46:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Snakepit CDs worth buying?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snakepit CDs worth buying?  (Read 21545 times)
November Rain 91
Headliner

Use Your Illusion

« on: September 24, 2004, 09:11:56 AM »

Can anyone tell if the Slash's Snakepit CDs are worth buying? and if so, where can I find them new? I can only find used ones. I've heard that they're sort of boring, with a few good songs, but I'd like to hear for myself. Thanks...

Guns N' Fuckin' Roses
Saboteur Cyb. Punk
Banned
Rocker

Buckethead unmasked!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 09:38:36 AM »

No

I Mean Acid / Do Ya Like It ?
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 09:49:42 AM »

Can anyone tell if the Slash's Snakepit CDs are worth buying? and if so, where can I find them new? I can only find used ones. I've heard that they're sort of boring, with a few good songs, but I'd like to hear for myself. Thanks...

Good albums overall...Sounds like GNR without AXL...some say its trash, but I think its good, songs like Serial Killer, beggars and hangers (a 20 minute song) are awesome, Snakepit is like ACDC or Rose Tattoo, good hard rock to listen to while driving on your harley davidson  smoking

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 10:59:35 AM »

If you want to hear the music for Gn'r's follow up to TSI, get "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere."  Slash is on lead guitar, Gilby plays rhythm, Matt on drums, and Dizzy and Teddy with some keyboards.  Mike Inez from Alice in Chains plays bass and Eric Dover sings.
Dizzy
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 11:05:20 AM »

beggars and hangers (a 20 minute song) are awesome

No, "Beggars and Hangers on" is about six minutes long on the CD.

Anyway, Snakepit CDs are good listens.  Slash's riffs on Ain't Life Grand are incredible, though Rod Jackson's singing positively sucks.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 11:28:58 AM »

the Snakepit cds are amazing if you like true sleazy rock n roll and amazing guitar playing. Don't listen to those who will tell you it's garbage mostly because they choose to worship Axl and detest the other members of GN'R.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 11:32:23 AM »

Good albums overall...Sounds like GNR without AXL...some say its trash, but I think its good, songs like Serial Killer, beggars and hangers (a 20 minute song) are awesome, Snakepit is like ACDC or Rose Tattoo, good hard rock to listen to while driving on your harley davidson? smoking

Unbelievable great riffs, Snakepit '95 (5 O'Clock) could have been the greatest GN'R album with Axl doing the vocals and writing some ballads. It's one of my favourite albums of all time!? yes

Ain't life grand? is more popular among the fans, although I prefer the first Snakepit. The music is closer to Aerosmith and the classics of the 70s, Rod Jackson is a really talented singer, however he sucks as a lyricist. A great buy, though.? ok

Edit: I almost forgot Slash's solos! God bless him for those classics!

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 01:52:17 PM »

Lol

5 o'clock somewhere is just awful and must never be heard again

Ain't life grand is great and i enjoy it much more than Contraband - def worth getting

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 01:59:29 PM »

I have to agree with Izzy.........diehard GNR fans of course are gonna say this album rocked, but for a general music fan it's pure buttrock.  Horrible albums I thought.  The guitar work is decent and the singing is absolutely horrible on both.  BUT if you do decide to try one get 5 oclock somewhere..........ain't life grand is utter crap and the singer rod jackson is painful to listen to.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 02:03:42 PM »

actually the friends I've played it for who had never paid attention to gnr thought it was great music to blast in the car with the windows rolled down ok
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 02:35:04 PM »

actually the friends I've played it for who had never paid attention to gnr thought it was great music to blast in the car with the windows rolled down ok

Lol

5 o'clock somewhere is just awful and must never be heard again

Ain't life grand is great and i enjoy it much more than Contraband - def worth getting

Lol

You surely don't play any instrument, do you?

When 5 O'clock was released I showed it to some of my friends. Do you know what they said? (Course not) They said that the album helped them to know who was GN'R: Slash. Although I don't agree with them 'cause GN'R was made by Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven, the Snakepit albums show that Slash is a fantastic songwriter even without Axl. I understand that some fans are so Axl-obsessed that they are unable to like anything when the music sounds like GN'R and the lead singer doesn't, but 5 O'clock one of the best rock albums ever. Even James LaBrie, singer of progressive rock/metal band Dream Theater rated the album 10/10 and added that he'll surely buy this album, 'cause it's classic Slash from the first note.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 02:46:08 PM »

Slash really was great on those records. Better than his work on CB for sure but Contraband is just a great record because every member shines. Like Scott's vocals on YGNR & Do it for the kids, Duff's bass on Superhuman and Suckertrain, Dave on Slither, Matt on Illegal and Dirty little thing. It is very balanced unlike Snakepit where it was mostly all Slash.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 04:11:28 PM »

I like Snakepit '95 alot, it's sounds really raw like AFD and the songs are good

I like Slash on Snakepit '99 but I don't like the rest of the band, they lack energy and Ryan Roxie tries to sound too much like Slash
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 04:34:18 PM »

There's a few good songs on each and then there's some bad ones (for example "Be The Ball", "Doin' Fine", "Monkey Chow", "Ain't Life Grand" come to mind first).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 06:46:55 PM »

I don't have ain't life grand, but It's five o clock..is awful One of the biggest dissapointments of that year. Even Duff's " Believe in Me" sounded better when I bought it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 06:49:49 PM by Ignatius Reilly » Logged
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 06:51:18 PM »

BUY them!! Both!
There ain't nobody on this earth who can say I am not a true GNR fan,  BUT,  I like both of SLASH's albums by far more than anything else he ever did.
It's 5 o'clock is an great album IMO. 
It is simply great raw rock'n'roll.
You can't compare it to anything,  it is that pure bles rock (kinda like Black crows but also GNR).
Ain't life grand is the most MATURE piece of music SLASH has ever done.
We all knew he was great musician but he has also proven himself as an A+ lyrics writer here.
Songs like BACK TO THE MOMENT,  SHINE,  LANDSLIDE,  BEEN THERE LATELY,  THE TRUTH,  AIN'T LIFE GRAND,  LIFE'S SWEET DRUG or JUST LIKE ANYTHING are absolutely phantastic pieces of music for everyone who loves and appreciates music.
Not to mention that any of these could be not only on any GNR album but any other bands...
It's 5 o'clock has great tunes like NEITHER CAN I,  LOWER (written about SLASH feeling after hearing Kurt was found dead),  BEGGARS AND HANGERS ON, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE (my favorite one on the album),  TAKE IT AWAY,  BE THE BALL,  TAKE IT AWAY (second fav one on the album).
Go ahead and BUY the album.
You will do yourself good and you won't feel sorry for the money.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 06:57:52 PM »

ain't life grand I really never listen to much cause it was a little disappointing but 5 oclock is real good.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
atto
Opening Act

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 08:00:23 PM »

I think they're great cd's. Ain't life grand is better imo.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 11:40:01 PM »

Be the ball has some of the most amazing guitar parts I've ever heard
shaun
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 03:09:23 AM »

*It's 5 O'clock Somewhere* is better than the 2nd album *Ain't Life Grand*? as it sounds more raw and features better songs. Ain't Life Grand has about 2 maybe 3 ok songs on it. It's 5 O'clock Somewhere has a good 5 or more great songs on it? ok and Be the Ball isn't one of them (this song always reminds me of the theme tune to the TV series Hawii 5 O? Grin) and Slash (i think) is singing on this track - not good? Wink

Both albums feature great art work though (something VR lacks Wink )

It's 5 O'clock Somewhere, the cool tracks are: *Neither Can I* - *Dime Store Rock* - *Beggars & Hangers-On* - *I Hate Everybody But You* - *Back and Forth Again*
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 03:21:48 AM by shaun » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: