Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:51:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Vegetarianism
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegetarianism  (Read 14252 times)
journey
« on: August 12, 2004, 02:32:13 AM »

I've been a vegan (non-dairy vegetarian) for eight years. I wasn't raised to be one, and all of my family members eat meat. But, I just wanted to become one, because I respect all living creatures. I believe animals have rights, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Whether being a vegetarian is right or wrong, I'm not sure. It's just the right thing for me. I don't judge other peoples choices. And, I don't try to get others to conform to my way of thinking, I'm just interested in different points of view.

So, how do you feel about vegetarianism? Is it crazy? Does it make any sense to you? What is your opinion or theory on this subject?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 02:48:20 AM »

No way. I think it's great. If anything you will probably be more healthy than the average person. I try to eat as little meat as possible. I eat fish, chicken, and turkey. Try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. I look up to anybody that is vegan. Takes a lot of will power for sure.

(Waiting for the next poster to come along and tell me how healthy people who eat meat are Roll Eyes.)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:17:12 AM »

yeah i find that very very remarkable, i would love to be able to do what u do, but my will power coupled with my unwillingness to try new foods probably would make it next to impossible

i guess i try not to think about it very much,  animals  having human characteristics etc

i could maybe do the whole not eating meat stuff if i really wanted but the dairy stuff that really amazes me

that being said, i totally find it hypocritical when these celeb vegans or vegetarians hold rallies etc over not eating meat but yet wear leather,suede etc, i find that pretty lame and no better than eating the animal
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 03:20:00 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Chris Misfit
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 03:36:59 AM »

I find nothing more delcious than eating an animal that has been brutally slaughtered, and burnt to a crisp.

Sorry there.

People who don't eat meat, are people who don't eat meat. I question whether people do it, becuase it's their belief or just so they can rant on about how much better they are than other people. I'M HEALTHIER THAN YOU. Yeah? You'll still probably die before me.

It's stupid, you don't eat meat. Good. Don't go round calling yourself a vegan, veggie, sXe or whatever it is now.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 04:02:05 AM »

If done 100% correctly, eating no meat is healthier if you know absolutely what you are doing. But there's nothing wrong with naturally raised and processed meat, I believe. Vegans are correct to point out problems with most of the meat out there, but they should remember that most produce is also tampered with, and is just as bad as eating meat. Unless you own a garden yourself, they are both bad.

I would suggest eating insects. Seriously. They aren't sentient, intelligent animals like mammals. Hell, trees and plants are probably more intelligent. Insects are full of protein and low fat, and they aren't loaded with chemicals and other nasty things like farm animals are. They don't live long and they usually end up on the bottom of someone's boot in the end. I wouldn't feel guilty about eating them. In fact, I happen to like grasshoppers!  Grin

Some fundamentalist Christians believe no one ate meat before the Flood. They eat only honey and grown vegetables. I think they're a little crazy though.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 05:06:49 AM »

I find nothing wrong with being a vegetarian or a Vegan.

But 1 thing i always think with people who are Vegan's is that they are taking being a vegetarian to over the top proprtions...if that makes sense. Not eating the meat is all good, but making sure u don't consume nothing from animals is a little over the top.

It must be a bit annoying having to make absolutely sure u consume nothing from an animal.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 05:27:57 AM »

i would like to point out that she stated her reasons why and said that she doesnt preach or mind people eating meat, its just her choice

i know some vegans,vegetarians,animal rights activist go over the top but she isnt!!!

gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 06:05:07 AM »

I was a vegetarian (didn't eat meat -  or chicken or fish or anything, i also consider that meat!!! but i did eat dairy stuff) for a couple of years and i didn't even think it was that hard, i never ate much meat, i still don't, so it was pretty easy for me. Some people really NEED meat, or a lot of food because their body uses a lot of energy, that depends from person to person, and if you "need" meat i don't think it's very healthy to just eliminate all meat at once... being a vegetarian is often thought of to be very healthy but it's a fact that most of them have a pretty low blood pressure and pass out easier, because of the lack of certain vitamins you get in meat! so it's a good choice but you have to make sure you compensate the loss of meat, by eating certain vegetables with a lot of proteins and vitamins and dryed fruits and nuts... if you just eat no meat nad don't replace it by anything you're not being very healthy  no

i could maybe do the whole not eating meat stuff if i really wanted but the dairy stuff that really amazes me
yeah that must be very hard! congrats Journey for doing that!!! i have a friend who also eats no dairy products and at times she freaks me out lol don't take this the wrong way but if you go for french fries and she asks to double check that the oil they bake em in really has no animal stuff in it, that can give you some funny looks now and then hihi no but really, if you think of how many products have dairy stuff in em, i couldn't live without waffles and chocolate pudding Grin

that being said, i totally find it hypocritical when these celeb vegans or vegetarians hold rallies etc over not eating meat but yet wear leather,suede etc, i find that pretty lame and no better than eating the animal
hey i don't wear fur, i think that's bad! i do wear leather but i pay attention to that, i used to wear all black leather, now i replaced my clothes for latex stuff (is actually better, it breaths more than leather does so when you take your clothes of you don't smell like you been stuck in a dusty closet for years rofl only my boots are still leather, cause i can't find anything else... but that's just cow shit, i won't go around wearing snake leather!!! (though i love it Cry) hihi my snake would be hurt... or scared... do snakes have feelings anyway? hihi

People who don't eat meat, are people who don't eat meat. I question whether people do it, becuase it's their belief or just so they can rant on about how much better they are than other people. I'M HEALTHIER THAN YOU. Yeah? You'll still probably die before me.

It's stupid, you don't eat meat. Good. Don't go round calling yourself a vegan, veggie, sXe or whatever it is now.
errr i just said that some people who don't eat meat are more likely to get ill than people why do, IF they don't do it correctly that is...
i don't know many vegetarians that go around saying "I'm healthier than you" that's just stupid! maybe a few do show off with the fac they don't eat meat but those aren't real vegetarians, they just do it cause nowadays it's "cool" and that makes em think THEY are cool... people are weird Roll Eyes

and what should vegetarians call themselves then? they don't eat meat, that's the correct word for someone who doesn't eat meat... if you have to say "people who don't eat meat" everytime... you go right ahead but im too lazy for that Grin

You got something to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says me I'm out of place
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 06:06:14 AM »

i would like to point out that she stated her reasons why and said that she doesnt preach or mind people eating meat, its just her choice

i know some vegans,vegetarians,animal rights activist go over the top but she isnt!!!

I never said she was preaching. I gave my opinion, and that was I, even though i find nothing wrong it find it a little over the top.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 06:13:38 AM »

Unless you own a garden yourself
i do... no really i do! and i do grow my own vegetables... lol sorry but when i read that it just made me laugh hihi so does this mean im healthy? Cheesy

Some fundamentalist Christians believe no one ate meat before the Flood. They eat only honey and grown vegetables. I think they're a little crazy though.
all fundamentalists are crazy Tongue
but if you wanna know... there are stories like that in all cultures, not only christian beliefs... in every culture you have a flood and in every culture before the Flood you had "people" (or in some cultures even gods... it usually comes down to it that the people were different and living in peace) and honey and milk and vegetables are sweet and fresh things that are thought of as being good and peaceful and even devine to some... think of "the land of milk and honey" it's just a legende and you have it in all cultures... i just thought of something: im starting to sound as smartass as Dizzy Shocked nervous crying Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

But 1 thing i always think with people who are Vegan's is that they are taking being a vegetarian to over the top proprtions...if that makes sense. Not eating the meat is all good, but making sure u don't consume nothing from animals is a little over the top.

It must be a bit annoying having to make absolutely sure u consume nothing from an animal.
yeah but that's the choice of the person him/herself, as long as they don't force other people into anything i think everyone has a right to do what they want... i mean, if they put so much effort into doing that, that doesn't affect you does it?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 06:18:11 AM by gypsy eyes » Logged

You got something to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says me I'm out of place
Chris Misfit
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 06:27:51 AM »

and what should vegetarians call themselves then? they don't eat meat, that's the correct word for someone who doesn't eat meat... if you have to say "people who don't eat meat" everytime... you go right ahead but im too lazy for that

Many do eat meat, that's my point. "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish" "I'm a vulcan, but I wear wool" "I'm a fucking hemoprite, that's someone who is half veggie, part straight edge, part Iranian, but who can eat pork the 22nd tuesday of every year".

I gave an honest opinion that I feel that too many people use it as a label rather than a lifestyle, and I get an uneducated response such as yours....it was all I could have expected.

You're congratulating someone for choosing to do as she wishes?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 07:08:34 AM »

I never said she was preaching. I gave my opinion, and that was I, even though i find nothing wrong it find it a little over the top.

my fault matt, i wasnt speaking to anyone in particular, its just alot of people dont read the entire threads and only pick up at certain sections so i was just reitterating to people who may miss her first post that she isnt being preachy or holier than thou etc etc

im not congratulating her because of a lifestyle choice or anything, i just think its amazing when anyone does something difficult and sticks to it.

i put myself in that position and there is no way i could ever do it, and i consider myself a very dedicated and strong person, hell i cant make myself drink only two cokes a day, so i couldnt imagine not eating any meat or dairy, its mind blowing to me.

matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 07:21:01 AM »

my fault matt, i wasnt speaking to anyone in particular, its just alot of people dont read the entire threads and only pick up at certain sections so i was just reitterating to people who may miss her first post that she isnt being preachy or holier than thou etc etc

im not congratulating her because of a lifestyle choice or anything, i just think its amazing when anyone does something difficult and sticks to it.

i put myself in that position and there is no way i could ever do it, and i consider myself a very dedicated and strong person, hell i cant make myself drink only two cokes a day, so i couldnt imagine not eating any meat or dairy, its mind blowing to me.

No worries D ok

It's her life and she can do what she wants, thats waht's important.

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 10:01:22 AM »

I've been a vegan (non-dairy vegetarian) for eight years. I wasn't raised to be one, and all of my family members eat meat. But, I just wanted to become one, because I respect all living creatures. I believe animals have rights, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Oh no...u lot again

''I believe animals have the right to do this that yak yak yak''

Yeah, I BELIVE they have the right to tried by jury, covered by trade unions and given equal opportunities in all jobs rofl

Give me a fucking break - their animals, as long as they ain't actively abused thats good enough

THEY ARE NOT FURRY PEOPLE

My poor steak....that cow could have achieved so much in life...it could have been an Olympic Skier rofl

Also -

I respect all living creatures. I believe animals have rights, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

So when their's ants in ur house u don't use insecticides to kill them? When slugs destroy all ur plants u just ignore them? When there's a rat living nearby u just leave it alone? U watch where ur walking to avoid hurting bugs?

Oh wait...no u don't

What happened to THIER rights? What hypocracy!

I don't judge other peoples choices.

What a stupid thing to say! You are really totally indifferant to whatever people do? Sure u r.....

So, how do you feel about vegetarianism? Is it crazy? Does it make any sense to you? What is your opinion or theory on this subject?

Its absurd if its on your grounds of saving the poor sheep Roll Eyes If you don't like meat fair enough but this stupid self righteous nonsense sickens me - besides too many times its done just to show off - 'oh i'm a vegatarian'' - NO ONE'S IMPRESSED

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 10:04:21 AM »

But, I just wanted to become one, because I respect all living creatures. I believe animals have rights, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Well, i love animals, i work with them everyday, but i also eat meat.

People have eaten meat from the begining. Vegetarianism is ok. I understand, that now it?s possible people to make choices, unlike those who lived 100 or 1000 years ago, but animals eats other animals, right? They don?t think it?s cruel or "hey, I respect other living creatures". Besides, humans intestinal tract are made to digest meat (and of course veggies too).

..I don?t know, maybe i have put too many animals to sleep lately and became so cynical..  Grin

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 10:13:39 AM »

I'm not a vegetarian, but I respect it.   I've never met a vegetarian that tried to push their views on me, they just don't want to eat meat, and don't bother anyone who does.

As far as the actual logic behind that, I don't really understand where you get the idea that animals deserve "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", other than just arbitrarily deciding that you feel that way.  I'd love to hear your reasoning and how you came to that conclusion, though.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 10:32:33 AM »

Vegetarians who say they care about not hurting animals can be over the top. I think it's actually kind to put stupid animals like sheep, fish, all poultry, and insects out of their misery. Pigs, cows, and dolphins, however, are intelligent and don't want to die. It just depends on which animals you're talking about.
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 11:00:10 AM »

No way. I think it's great. If anything you will probably be more healthy than the average person. I try to eat as little meat as possible. I eat fish, chicken, and turkey. Try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. I look up to anybody that is vegan. Takes a lot of will power for sure.

(Waiting for the next poster to come along and tell me how healthy people who eat meat are Roll Eyes.)

Yes, that is why we have canine teeth!!

Also, we need things from meat to keep us healthy like oil from fish and iron from red meats etc!!

But I don't have a problem with vegitarianism, animals do have rights but some of these animals wouldn't be alive if people didn't eat them, I think making sure an animal has a decent life while it is alive is the best way to go!!  ok

That's a hatrick for Doull
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 11:13:47 AM »

Actually, the healthy fats and oils in fish are supposed to be present in nearly all land animals. However, grain feed changes the nutritional profile of animals for the worse. Not enough omega 3's. Also, a lot of these nutrients are only found in the animal organs, like liver and heart. These parts aren't usually consumed. But the way Western diets are today, simply staying away from soda and soy is a great accomplishment.

If you can afford fish (not farm raised) or organic meat, go for it! If you can't, you can try flax seed oil instead. It takes a while to get over the vile taste, though.

There is actually an overabundance of herbavores out there. There aren't enough wolves and tigers and other predators to kill them off because they've all been killed by ranchers and farmers. As a result, there are a lot of thin, starving deer and other animals out there. Sad

There must be hunters to keep their populations in check. Think of it that way when you eat meat.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 11:49:42 AM »

What is funny is how people will get upset about getting dolphin caught in tuna nets. I guess it's ok to eat tuna because they are dumb and ugly, but not kill dolphin on accident (or eat them) because they are smart and cute. hihi

Some things are gross. Like veal. I have eaten veal, but it is horrible how they are treated. Also Foie Gras is gross how the force feed the duck or goose grains to enlarge the liver. Who thought of that shit anyway?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: