Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Behind The Music: GN'R (post your comments here)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behind The Music: GN'R (post your comments here)  (Read 82455 times)
Dizzy
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2004, 11:04:18 PM »

and did anyone else thing Steven was going to cry?

Yes, it did appear that way, and it understandable given his circumstance.  We can debate for ages whether or not Steven was justly fired from GNR, but the fact remains that Steven feels he was betrayed and abandoned by the people who were his family and friends.  Just as he said...

I did everything I possibly could to try and kill myself.  I had nothing to live for.  Everybody who knew me that I thought were my friends did everything they could to take everything away from me.

Then again, considering the addictive personality that Slash obviously is, addicts hate being called on their addiction.

Slash didn't elaborate as much as he should've on the "I hated Axl for that" issue.  According to past interviews, what Slash hated about that was that Axl called attention to it on stage, in front of an audience.

I really think people like Gilby and Matt should shut their fucking traps.   Also blaming Axl for everyone's substance abuse problems is pretty lame ( He forced me to be an alcoholic because he showed up late to shows?).

Okay, your opinion was blatantly biased towards an instinctive Axl defense to start with, and now you're flagrantly misquoting people.  Nobody blamed Axl for their alcohol problems.  Gilby stated (and with a laugh) that he would often be inebriated on stage, because he'd keep having martinis until Axl showed up.  Granted, the implication that Axl should be on time was there, but the fact that Gilby laughed when he said it indicated he meant it more in facetious context than anything.  He never exclaimed, "Axl forced me to be an alcoholic because he showed up late!  That bastard!"

It's always humorous how everybody always accused me of being biased towards the ex-Gunners, when we have posters like this who are pre-dispositioned to "protect Axl's ass" at all costs, even if it means outlandishly distorting what an ex-Gunner said.

e Slash admits that it was him that Axl was talking about then I'll never forgive Axl for calling him out, too!!! rant   Slash would've been dead years ago and we wouldn't have to listen to all his bullshit lies and whining if Axl didn't force him to quit using.

Firstly, you say "we wouldn't have to listen to Slash's lies"......let me ask you, when did you change your name to we?

Secondly, you imply that we're (you're) better off with Slash dead because you think he doesn't tell the truth?

Jesus H. Christ, just when I thought I'd seen the absolute extent of all the ignorant, fanatical Slash hatred, out of the blue comes your asinine, callous, heartless shit of a post.  I don't typically resort to personal stabs, but you need to change your user name, because Gypsy, you have no Soul.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 11:49:32 PM by Dizzy » Logged
badapple81
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2004, 11:07:17 PM »

Thats really intense.

Ive always wondered how Steven went and coped after he was fired and GN'R were the biggest rock band in the world.

I admire him for his honesty, and the fact that he's turned his life around now and trying to get back out there are play music.
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2004, 11:30:34 PM »

I feel bad for Steven, but hey buddy drugs dont pay.

I love how Axl pulled a fast one on everyone else and got the band. I really wanna hear how that went down! If he just was like "hey crack heads im takin over or its over" or if it was something else.

I hated the quote about the pianos Matt should go hang himself.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2004, 11:43:26 PM »

I thought it was funny as hell, I remember seeing GNR in '87 and thinking this is how a rock band should be.

I saw them in '92 and thought WTF?  This is exactly how a rock band shouldn't be...

That said, Matt knew what he was getting himself into...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2004, 11:49:13 PM »

I wish Matt would just shut the fuck up. He knew what the fuck he wqs getting himself into and it?s not like Axl just went surprise hay were going to use pianos on the tour , Matt was their when they recorded the fucking songs.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
badapple81
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2004, 11:50:05 PM »

I thought it was funny as hell, I remember seeing GNR in '87 and thinking this is how a rock band should be.

I saw them in '92 and thought WTF?  This is exactly how a rock band shouldn't be...

That said, Matt knew what he was getting himself into...

Its weird seeing Axl in the cool leathers at the Ritz 88 and then seeing Axl in that blue and red jacket and little red shorts during Double Talkin Jive at paris 92 for example..

But that's Axl.. eccentric.. was always going to break away and try different things..
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2004, 01:17:11 AM »

when did the Suicide Horns stop playing with GnR?

Researching, I noticed dates as far back as 89. Funny how no one complained about their presence.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2004, 01:26:12 AM »

That "piano" comment was the most dumb thing anybody could ever say.  Why criticize?  Uh, do you hear how kick ass the piano work was on the UYI's?  It was awesome!

GNR still kicked amazing ass with "piano" stuff.  Matt made it seem like they stopped playing rock songs entirely.

Anyway, I won't waste any more time analyzing that idiot's comments.  Matt has always been a cheeseball, loser, faggot.  He is a former employee and was never a proper member of the band.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2004, 01:34:59 AM »

That "piano" comment was the most dumb thing anybody could ever say.  Why criticize?  Uh, do you hear how kick ass the piano work was on the UYI's?  It was awesome!

GNR still kicked amazing ass with "piano" stuff.  Matt made it seem like they stopped playing rock songs entirely.

Anyway, I won't waste any more time analyzing that idiot's comments.  Matt has always been a cheeseball, loser, faggot.  He is a former employee and was never a proper member of the band.

A fuckin men brother! i couldnt have said it better! ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2004, 01:51:13 AM »

It seems like alot of people took offense to mr. sorum's attitude, i kinda did too, like where does this guy get off? I just don't really like that guy much, like maybe you could bitch about the piano's and stuff if you actually had a hand in creating some of the music and were a part of the band's make-up, who is he to tell anyone how they should do things? Sorum is a dousche.

What Goes around comes around!
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2004, 03:13:42 AM »

It seems like alot of people took offense to mr. sorum's attitude, i kinda did too, like where does this guy get off? I just don't really like that guy much, like maybe you could bitch about the piano's and stuff if you actually had a hand in creating some of the music and were a part of the band's make-up, who is he to tell anyone how they should do things? Sorum is a dousche.

He struck it amazingly lucky with Gn'R. Without his little halfass part in Gn'r he would of if anything ended up in some POS grunge band and died on his own puke. He certainly wouldnt be where he is now with VR if it wasnt with Gn'R.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
Slashisthebest
Headliner

Best Record Ever Made, Plain and Simple!

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2004, 04:07:29 AM »

Dude just watched it agian on my TIVO.  Have to say the Nov. release sounds cool, but I personally think that this could have been a lot better if they have new intreview with Axl, Izzy, Duff, or even Dizzy.  I thought it was ok, but if it was 2hrs and had those new interviewa, it could have been the highlight of the year for me.  

For everyone saying it was an "Axl Bashing", its not bashing it is what happened. Sorry to say it but my favorite singer and one of the greatest front men of all time is a little wacko and power hungry.  (Sorry Axl)

Anyway wasnt too bad but that Chinese Democracy mention really was the highlight.  

Oh, does anyone know if some of that background music played during the show could possibly be new GNR matieral?  It sounded like really cool riff and I want to know who the artist is.  Thanks

Slashisthebest

Top Hat + Bottle of Jack + Les Paul + Marshall Jubilee Stack = Slash
journey
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2004, 04:37:37 AM »

Riki Rachtman made a comment about the three high budget videos. He said something about Axl swimming with the dolphins in the "Estranged" video, and how that wasn't "very street". But, when they made that video, they weren't livin' on the streets (so to speak) anymore. They live in gated communities now and swim with dolphins from time to time. That's what rich people do. But, seriously, it would've been phony to make videos about livin' the hard street life when in fact you're livin' the good life. GN'R's always been honest and real, and that's a big part of their appeal.
DIABOLIK
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2004, 05:02:07 AM »

What a one-sided hatchet job!  How can you have a GNR Behind the Music without Axl???   I was looking forward to hearing what Axl had to say about GNR's history and certain incidents and instead I get people like his former tour manager and Slash's publicist?  If your gonna have Gilby, what about Duff, Izzy or Dizzy?  Anyone of those guys have a more important place in GNR than freakin' Gilby Clarke!

VH-1 should have called it SLASH- Behind the Music because that's what that was.  
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2004, 08:18:59 AM »

Matt said in '92 that when he first played NR he thought what a fuckin' boring song it is, but he later get used to play it. So he said it back then he didn't like that type of song.

I disagree Matt is some aspects, 'cause Estranged is quite brilliant, just like the guitar solos and the end of NR, but I'd like UYI (and TSI) more without keyboards in the faster songs. They just don't fit in my opinion.

And it's funny to read that 'Shut up Matt, you are a bitch, you were just an employee'. Hell, GN'R now has only hired guns beside Axl! Wake up!!! Matt isn't my favourite drummer, but they had a hard search trying to replace Steven, they tried out other drummers, but Matt was the guy for them. Same for Gilby - they got the chance to live in the biggest band of the world, but they didn't fail! Don't forget it.  rant
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 08:19:45 AM by Mikkamakka » Logged

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2004, 08:57:42 AM »

It's always humorous how everybody always accused me of being biased towards the ex-Gunners, when we have posters like this who are pre-dispositioned to "protect Axl's ass" at all costs, even if it means outlandishly distorting what an ex-Gunner said.

Nobody is protecting "Axl 's ass" , but you're protecting Ex-gunners ass.
First if Slash said that When he was with Steven that was when Guns started for him, sorry, but that doesn't mean that in his mind, Slash thought that he was in GNR.  So if I got this band in which I'm the last member to get there and we become very famous,  and then  I say in public TV that this group started for me few years ago before I knew these guys. But maybe you're right.

And also if I recall correctly didn't Steven or Slash said : "Dude, we have to gat those two guys and we're going to rock". Am  I lying? Am I distortioning what he/they said?

Also if you're wife doesn't go with you to the places you want and you cheat many times. I bet you're going to say that if you're wife would have accepted go with you, you wouldn't have cheated. So what that implies?
Anyway, Dizzy you're a really fun dude.

peace
Dizzy
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2004, 09:34:15 AM »

Nobody is protecting "Axl 's ass"

Oh noooooo, of course not.  That's never the case is it?  Blatantly twisting Gilby Clarke's words out of context to defend Axl doesn't constitute "protecting Axl's ass", does it?   Roll Eyes

but you're protecting Ex-gunners ass.

Oh yes, I always am, aren't I?  I'm always the bad guy who leads the iron fist charge for the ex-Gunners aren't I?  Sorry, I'm the guy who tells the truth, whether you like it or not.  Reread all my posts on this thread.  From the start, I acknowledged that the show portrayed all the Gunners in a fair light; Axl was a control freak, and the other guys were junkies.  That's the truth.  You'll notice how I don't argue with people who say Slash was an alcoholic, because it's the truth, and that was his fault.  I debate people who twist words out of context, such as what NickNasty did with Gilby's comments.

First if Slash said that When he was with Steven that was when Guns started for him, sorry, but that doesn't mean that in his mind, Slash thought that he was in GNR.

What don't you understand about this?  Slash said that he hooked with Steven, and then they proceeded to meet Axl and Izzy.  So hooking up with Steven would indeed have been the beginning of GNR from Slash's perspective.  Slash never said "Steven and I started GNR", even though that's obviously what you want to believe.  All Slash meant was exactly what he said, "That's where Guns started for me."

And also if I recall correctly didn't Steven or Slash said : "Dude, we have to gat those two guys and we're going to rock". Am  I lying? Am I distortioning what he/they said?

Yes, Steven said that, but so what?  That does not mean that Steven meant, "Slash and I started GNR".  Just like Slash's statement, all Steven meant was exactly his quote which you posted, "let's get these two guys and we'll have a kickass band."  That doesn't translate into anything more.

Also if you're wife doesn't go with you to the places you want and you cheat many times. I bet you're going to say that if you're wife would have accepted go with you, you wouldn't have cheated. So what that implies?

What in the blazes of hell are you on about?   Huh

What a one-sided hatchet job!  How can you have a GNR Behind the Music without Axl???    what about Duff, Izzy or Dizzy?  Anyone of those guys have a more important place in GNR than freakin' Gilby Clarke!

Hey man, VH-1 invited all the original members (including Axl) to participate, and they declined.  That isn't VH-1's fault.  We knew since the show was announced that Izzy, Duff, and (especially) Axl were not going to partake.  I am just glad they used some archive interviews with Axl and Duff to fill in some spaces.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 09:44:36 AM by Dizzy » Logged
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2004, 10:04:42 AM »

I just want to say this: AXL had a vision all along. He new what he wanted and he was very open about it. They were all a bunch of pussies for not speaking up. The reason they didn't is probably because they new he was going to take them all the way, and he did. You can't stay on top for ever and sound the same as you did on your first album.

Keep up the vision AXL!!!
As a true GNR fan I will stick by you forever!!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2004, 10:21:41 AM »

The thing that annoys me about Sorum, besides his ridiculous stage presence, is his hindsight insults.  If he has beefs with Axl that's fine, I understand it completely.  But the way he's; I swung at Axl but someone caught my fist, I was going to confront him but the other guys wouldn't, I hate piano; it's just like shut up buddy, he's trying to make himself look like the hero here, and I'm sure that's far from the truth.  

He went along with Axl like everybody else and didn't say shit until it was basically all over.  Don't try to puff yourself up now Mattie.  

So again, give us poor folk who don't get to see  it some more details.  
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2004, 10:40:21 AM »

In what context did they say it would be released in November? Who said it? Did they say how they knew?

How would the makers of BTM know anyway?

During the last segment of the show, the documentary began to discuss the breakup of gnr and then Velvet Revolver and new gnr....

An editor was talking about Axl and how he is trying to make gnr relevant again...then he went on to say how hes trying to make this mythical perfection which might be impossible to achieve. Then the narrator says as for the mythical album chinese democracy, it is slated for a novemver 2004 release. I literally jumped out of my bed in amazement when I heard this. Only because I was expecting an uncertain answer....

IMO, the only reason why I consider this legit is beause its from VH1 and its a credible documentary. They arent going to go on hersay and throw out speculation. They would ask gnr managemnt for the status of the band/album or gnr management asked them to say it.

Whether people think the band will carry out on that is a whole different issue. But the fact that this comes from credible source is a lot better than hearing it from th einternet where peopel have a lot of time on thier hand and create bullshit....

SO time will tell. It snot that far off. And if a november release is the goal, we will get the singl ein October and probably get a shitload of news anytime from august to september....BUt as we all know things can change.....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: