Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Behind The Music: GN'R (post your comments here)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behind The Music: GN'R (post your comments here)  (Read 82387 times)
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2004, 07:46:07 PM »

Yeah, but Adler could of atleast gotten a push for his project. He participated in the BTM, just like Slash, and VR got a plug, they could of spent 5 seconds on saying how steve is cleaned up now and out touring in Adler's Appetite. He deserved that much

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2004, 08:18:40 PM »

Shit!  VH-1 used their "Behind the Music" name-tag to bash the hell out of Axl.  The only point of that "documentary" was to paint Axl as a control-freak asshole (we've known this for years) and put over Velvet Revolver as the next big thing.  They told the story we all know while filtering in their little snooty comments in between subjects.

Matt Sorum is such a fucking dumbass.  He actually had the nerve to sit there and complain about "signing up" for the best damn band in the world at the time.  Pianos?  What the hell is wrong with them?  It's not like they were all over every song.  "Right Next Door To Hell", "You Could Be Mine", "Live And Let Die", "Perfect Crime", & "Get In The Ring" all sounded like "bad-ass rock band" tunes to me.  The guy got one of the luckiest breaks in rock history by being selected to play for Guns and he's pissing and moaning about some pianos?  Stupid sack of shit.  The funniest part of his comments is after whining about the "sissy" pianos and horns they eventually cut to some scenes from the "Slither" video and show Scott Weiland fagging around proving Sorum's personal hang-up against Axl.

I agree with the guy who said "Adler screwed Adler".  No further comment.

Slash's comments seemed genuine and professional.  Aside from telling a good story, whenever he criticized Axl he followed it up with an explanation for the remark instead of just mindless bashing like some of the other participants.

All in all I thought most of the show was well produced and even though I've heard the GN'R story three dozen times in three dozen ways:  when they weren't just showing their asses where Axl is concerned I rather enjoyed it but still couldn't shake the feeling that they were just trying to spit on him and hype Velvet Revolver.  

AXL - If by chance you're reading this please release Chinese Democracy and blow this VR shit outta here!  Speaking of which - where the hell did VH-1 hear that CD is coming out in November!?

Dizzy
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2004, 08:51:56 PM »

adler screwed adler not GNR

I do concede that Steven was responsible for his drug problems, but GNR fucked him out of his royalties, plain and simple, so Steven's statements about everything being taken from him was accurate, because that's part of what he meant.

I've already presented all the information on that issue many times in the ex-Gunners section, and it's is a separate issue than the topic at hand.
K-Rock
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2004, 09:08:15 PM »

Wayyy toooo short!

There was too much to cover for this band and the impact they had on the music industry to keep the show to just 2 hrs.

Yes, Axl was a control freak.  It would have been nice to tell a story about his childhood to show what led him to such destructive behavior.

Needed to spend more time on Izzy and more of why he left.  How he couldn't handle being so "in the limelight" and needing to be "under the influence" to perform in front of such big crowds.

Could've had Adler speak more of why he couldn't tackle his demons to stay in the biggest rock band in the world.

Nothing about Stephanie Seymour.  She had a very big impact on Axl's life.

If they wanted to really get "Behind The Music of Guns N' Rose", they could've done so without "half-assing" it.

It was nice though to step back in time.  It brought back ALOT of memories.

Very disappointing, as usual, to be "uplifted" then days later have the excitement ripped away, yet again (November 2004 release mention).
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2004, 10:06:27 PM »

and put over Velvet Revolver as the next big thing.

And the 60-second afterthought at the very end of the show in effect did that?  Okay... ok

Shit!  VH-1 used their "Behind the Music" name-tag to bash the hell out of Axl.  The only point of that "documentary" was to paint Axl as a control-freak asshole (we've known this for years)

Well if thats common knowledge...then why wouldnt they include that information?  Because its not flattering?  Then lets all whine and cry about how they brought up the other guys' addictions.  confused

The fact is thats what went on.  Thats the perceptions of the guys who participated.  And if Axl wanted to, he couldve given his side of the story.  As I was watching it, I thought 'Theres no way anybody can bitch about this as 'bashing''.  Unsurprisingly, I was wrong.  

It also confuses me that everybody praises Axl for telling everybody how he feels without beating around the bush, etc. but hates Sorum for essentially the same thing.  But again, it certainly doesnt surprise me.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2004, 10:34:33 PM »

i thought steven got his money thru that lawsuit?

i like steven im happy he's got his life in order but he blamed the band a bit to much for his problems

watchin that though if u didnt know GNR u would think axl was a prick cause he didnt have any likeable qualities at all goin by that BTM

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2004, 10:49:49 PM »

It also confuses me that everybody praises Axl for telling everybody how he feels without beating around the bush, etc. but hates Sorum for essentially the same thing.  But again, it certainly doesnt surprise me.

My feelings exactly.

I found Sorums comments some of the most telling of all, he echoed almost everything I had thought/felt about the band during the bloated days of the UYI's and the dorment years thereafter.

His line about the "72 piece orchestral masterpiece" nearly made me fall out of my seat.  Funny as hell...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 10:51:36 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2004, 11:00:12 PM »

u guys never disagree hihi

im the biggest axl fan in the world but i was watchin that behind the music and i said to myself "WHAT A DICK" hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

I loved when slash was talkin bout how they were the right band at the right time and etc etc and then he said "thats fuckin great! gave me chills watchin slash reminisce

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2004, 11:06:08 PM »

I loved when slash was talkin bout how they were the right band at the right time and etc etc and then he said "thats fuckin great! gave me chills watchin slash reminisce

I enjoyed that as well, Slash seemed to really look back with enjoyment at the rise of GNR..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2004, 11:27:38 PM »

adler screwed adler not GNR
I but GNR fucked him out of his royalties, plain and simple, so Steven's statements about everything being taken from him was accurate, because that's part of what he meant.
I don't want to get off topic here but I want you to read this and tell me Steven got "everything taken" away from him:

I, Axl Part II
RIP October 1992

AXL: "The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that I was the dictator behind it. The truth is, I probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band, because I wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's straight. Most of the time he isn't. He's the type of person who wants everything handed to him, and he did get it handed to him. He got it handed to him from me. At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what I felt I had to do. In the long run I paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of Appetite For Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick! He's been able to live off of that money, buy a shitload of drugs and hire lawyers to sue me. If and when he loses the lawsuit he has against us, and he has to pay those lawyers, if he has any money left, it'll be the money that came from Guns N' Roses and myself. At this point I really don't care what happens to Steven Adler, because he's taken himself out of my life, out of my care and concern. I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing we can do at this point. We took him to rehabs, we threatened his drug dealers, we helped him when he slashed his wrists. I even forgave him after he nearly killed my wife. I had to spend a night with her in an intensive-care unit because her heart had stopped thanks to Steven. She was hysterical, and he shot her up with a speedball. She had never done jack shit as far as drugs go, and he shoots her up with a mixture of heroin and cocaine? I kept myself from doing anything to him. I kept the man from being killed by members of her family. I saved him from having to go to court, because her mother wanted him held responsible for his actions. And the sonofabitch turns on me? I mean, yeah, I'm a difficult person to deal with, and I'm a pain in the ass to understand, and I've had my share of problems, but Steven benefited greatly from his involvement with me - more than I did from knowing him. Steven had a lot of fans, but he was a real pain in the ass. I need to keep him in my life for you? F?!k you!"

on topic:

My thoughts after watching Behind the Music:Guns N' Roses:

Was any band in the 80s as dangerous as Guns N' Roses? Was any band in the early 90s as dangerous as Guns N' Roses? Danger and deception followed Guns N' Roses. Everywhere they went turmoil and destruction followed them. Ah yes,beauty. (I wish Good Charlotte fans would watch this and see what real genuine insanity and what real epic artistry is like.) I listened to the Greatest Hits after watching that show. Live and Let Die has never sounded so sweet.

smoking
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 11:32:05 PM by IndiannaRose » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2004, 11:48:17 PM »

wow if u believe axl's side that does make steven look pretty lame, i think steven did get alot out of GNR and its not like he was left broke in a gutter, im sure he had millions, now if he pissed those away once again that is on steven adler, not GNR

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2004, 12:42:33 AM »

The fact is thats what went on.  Thats the perceptions of the guys who participated.  And if Axl wanted to, he couldve given his side of the story.  As I was watching it, I thought 'Theres no way anybody can bitch about this as 'bashing''.  Unsurprisingly, I was wrong.  
One of the rare times I agree with you....For the most part, even I, a big Axl fan and fan of new gnr {as well as old}, felt that for the most part it wasnt as one sided as I thought it would be. The only time it was negative about Axl was about the illusion tour and how it got bloated. Even Axl would probably admit to that if you asked him now. In fact by them stripping it down later on in that tour says it all.....

now to where i disagree with you...
Its not that Sorum speaks bluntly. Its that he has no right to really speak of the things he says. How can you compare Axl and Sorum? The only people who can bitch and complain to each other are Axl,Izzy,SLash,duff, and steven.

Just look at how gilby says things compared to Matt. Sorum acts liek he was a pivotal member of gnr. He wishes. As many people have said, he is one lucky drummer. Hes just part of the ride.

As for what he says. Its all his opinion. ANd probably some of it is true. But again for him to say somehting like " I didnt sign up for this, and what the fuck is up with the piano" is out of line". If you were so disappointed Matt, why didnt you leave? If pianos and horns were so gay and pussy for you why did you try to act all tough in the November rain video with those gay faces?
 Of course not, who would leave the biggest band in the world. SO shut the fuck up. And that piano has created some of gnrs best songs. And it put gnr in another level.
Thats my problem with sorum.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 12:45:02 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2004, 01:06:30 AM »

I liked how adler said "I told slash to play it again" when talking about the sweet child note. If true Adler deserves whatever money Axl gave him in publishing rights just because how big that song was and still is.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
vds0216
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2004, 01:13:21 AM »

OK, here goes, Im a huge fan and this does not mean im against any member at all. First of all, Adler ruined his own life just like Dave Mustaine of Metallica. Dave Mustaine also still has a huge grudge, check out Some Kind of Monster. It has an insane conversation between Lars Ulrish and him. But anyways, did u notice how Adler couldnt even talk straight, pretty fucking sad!!! Ok, heres my take on the whole Axl vs every-member  fueds. I think Axl is a great musician, excellent front man, and has great vision. When they first came out I think there were drugs and alcohol involved heavy. But, I think Axl was very drug free. I dont recall seeing him drunk ever or fucked up on something. But, I could be wrong, but I think if he did he did much less then the others. No need to explain on others' habits. Axl wanted to experiment, evolve, and change their style. I guess make it more grand, and why the fuck not. Hes a great musician and wanted to explore, the others and their drug use probably slowed that all down for him. He didnt want to mar the GNR name with their drug use. Explaining why he wanted to have the bands name, even threated to quit right there and then if anyone didnt sign. He is very stubborn when it comes to his music, he wants it to be flawless. Explaining why Chinese is taking so long. Notice how he answered back to Kurt Loder at MTV Awards when asked why it has taken so long to come back?:"it takes a long time and a lot of effort to recreate something that was once Guns N' Roses." And also notice how Velvet Revolver now has a lead singer with a heavy heavy drug problem and how they sound like early Guns N' Roses when they did drugs. The band probably attacks Axl cuz they know he will be silent. That is the only disadvantage Axl has. But, thats it.
thinizzzy
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2004, 04:43:17 AM »

Well I've seen it twice now and it was pretty much what i expected, which was not too much.  The producers were pretty damn lazy considering any casual GN'R fan since 87' would know about 95% of what was covered.  Did it not seem that the first segment was a waste besides a couple of pics that I never saw before.  The narrator just said the phrase "they were a talented band living dangerously on the edge" in about 20 different ways with no insight or stories.

Then they go into how they started which seemed like there was no research done besides slash and adler's interview.  To bring up a Tracii Guns point, I didn't care he wasn't in it but to those who did, not only did he help with the name and help Axl and Izzy get connected in the LA scene, but Slash first played with them when Tracii didn't show up for a gig, otherwise he may have never been in GN'R.  So to have Adler there talkin like he was a prominent part of the founding band was a joke.  He probably had less input than Matt did in the songs and direction of the band.  Anyone who was a fan in 90 when they threw him out, didn't give two shits about it as long as the rest of the group was still around.  So I know the only reason he was featured for 10 min. and there was nothing on Izzy was b/c he's pathetic and desperate enough to jump up and do the interview.

Again there was no research done at all it was like someone reading cliff notes for a book report.  No funny stories about being fucked up or on tour.  How bout Izzy and Duff beating up the Faster Pussycat drummer and throwing him in an elevator tied up in a chair? Or Axl fighting someguy in a hotel bar for calling him Bon Jovi? Or some funny Slash and Duff drunk stories?  Or what about the 89 AMAs or Vince-Axl or fighting with the press?

They seem to cover 91-93 in about two min, which was at the peak of their popularity.  As an objective GN'R , VR, nu-GN'R fan I can say and expected that most of that part was just Axl-bashing, where was any inside info?  What about the Axl-Cobain feud or Axl-Metallica feud on tour, and if Sorum was bringing up him tryin to confront Axl y didn't he tell about the story of Axl holding a shotgun when he went into his dressing room one night?  I mean that's the tip of the iceberg.  I mean I wasn't expecting all of this but at least one of these stories or something new I never heard about would have been okay.

And I know it's only an hour, but there was absolutely nothing about Slash and Duff leaving and even Matt getting fired after arguing with Paul Huge.  At least Slash and Matt who were interviewed could say something.  I mean am I asking too much here?  Well I can bitch all day about this, but I never had any good expectations about this show, so I will end there.  That is y I never wanted a BTM maybe a 2 hour LEGENDS episode.  But as most of u know being a GN'R fan u rarely have ur expectations met!(cough,hint,cough)
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2004, 12:11:34 PM »

im the biggest axl fan in the world but i was watchin that behind the music and i said to myself "WHAT A DICK"

That's my point.  That's exactly what they wanted you to think after watching it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 12:12:16 PM by Kayoss » Logged

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2004, 12:23:46 PM »

First of all, Adler ruined his own life just like Dave Mustaine of Metallica.

Dave Mustaine didn't "ruin his life."  Getting kicked out of Metallica was very heartbreaking for him at the time but now he is much happier with the fact that he didn't stay and turn into the laughing stock of the metal world along with them.  Dave's fans respect the hell out of him and most metal fans (real metal fans not just Metallica junkies) will tell you that Megadeth's music stomps Metallica's any day.

Slashisthebest
Headliner

Best Record Ever Made, Plain and Simple!

« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2004, 05:01:39 PM »

Everyone keep talking about this Tracii Guns part in the episode.  I have watched it several time and never seen the Tracii Guns part, or maybe I just dont remember.  Can someone tell me where this Tracii Guns part of the episode is?  

Thanks,

Slashisthebest

Top Hat + Bottle of Jack + Les Paul + Marshall Jubilee Stack = Slash
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2004, 11:03:07 PM »

Everyone keep talking about this Tracii Guns part in the episode.  I have watched it several time and never seen the Tracii Guns part, or maybe I just dont remember.  Can someone tell me where this Tracii Guns part of the episode is?  

Thanks,

Slashisthebest
There was no Traci Guns mention, in the Btm

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
thinizzzy
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2004, 01:03:27 AM »

For someone who bitches about VH-1's lack of research, you sure haven't done jack shit for research on Guns N Roses.  Your stupid, ignorant, fallacious, and cliched anti-Steven comments are not even worth refuting

LOL, yea the only reason y they're not worth refuting is b/c u have nothing to back it up u smuck!  U can read the quote that someone put up about what Axl said about him a few posts ago, which I believe to be true.  And which I read in the RS interview when it came out.   And his boy Slash, which is my favorite gunner,  who he knew since high school and got him the drummer gig  never talked to him once they kicked him out until a couple years ago when he ran into him at an L.A. bar, and basically said was up and tried to blow him off after that.  So we can do this and look up shit if u want I'm goin off the top of my head and am more credible than ur senseless bashing.  U must be his girlfriend or mom or only friend cuz ur the only one that cares what I said!  Scrub!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: