Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 11:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Thank god for Velvet Revolver !
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thank god for Velvet Revolver !  (Read 28959 times)
Rainbow Warrior
Headliner

Appetite for Rock!

« on: June 07, 2004, 11:41:03 AM »

Just got Contraband today and it rocks !!! Anyway I won?t write a detailed review here at this thread but only express my gratitude towards Velvet Revolver who has woken some part of the old Guns N? Roses spirit up again. The so called new Guns N? Roses - (ought to be named "Axl Rose Band") - may delay their cd for 10 years or more in the future, I don?t care anymore.

VR is rock?n?roll. May they last for many years !  beer
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 12:37:41 PM »

I think by the time we'll have Chinese Democracy, VR will have a new album out too... I was kinda hopin' that ChiDem will be released about the same time as Contraband, but it didn't happen...
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 12:40:49 PM »

Yeah thank God slash, duff and matt are no longer if gnr.
If the contraband album was the new gnr album I'd be very angry.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 12:56:39 PM »

Yeah thank God slash, duff and matt are no longer if gnr.
If the contraband album was the new gnr album I'd be very angry.

Yeah, because then we could actually talk about the new songs instead of saying "just wait".  Roll Eyes

Even if you think the album sucks, at least they did something they're proud of.

It sure as hell beats Snakepit.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 12:58:59 PM »

Yeah its much  better than snakepit, but if we waited for 5 years for CD and it was contraband, I dont think I would be the only angry person in here.  

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 01:28:53 PM »

Before I start on this I would like to say that I am not a VR fan at all,....great guitars, shit lyrics, and vocals and lacking in songwriting.

BUT....

Dave...what the hell is wrong with you??...God u r soooo pathetic and bitter.  Just cos Axl cant get his shit together is no excuse to bag out on other peoples music. Even someone as twisted as you can surely see from VR's music that Slash is an incredibly talented guy, and that if this is the music he put together in one year then surley if he was still with Axl, then the potential of those guitars with Izzies songwriting and chords and Axls lyrics/vocals would be amazing.

Without that mix it doesnt seem to be working for ANY of them.

Axl destroyed GNR....fullstop. (every former member agrees on that point) .

He has failed to show his reasons why with MUSIC, and considering GNR was about MUSIC, thats pretty lame. I support the guy, but huge applause to Slash and Duff for getting out there and just having fun and being a band and playing music.....like y'know........normal people, and fuck the consequences.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 01:29:20 PM »

Snakepit is horrific....

I'm satisfied with Contraband, it's pretty much what I expected.  The album will do well, as will the promotional tour if you know who can keep out of trouble..

As the original poster said, it does bring some "spirit" back, much like early GNR,  as a live entity at least.  It's without doubt the closest thing we'll see to that era of GNR, which is very cool for people who didn't experience that.  It's got that raucous vibe to it.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 01:39:52 PM »

I totally agree, got the album today as well, after all the reviews here, I expected a mediocre album, but it's fuckin awesome!! you guys writing the reviews can't be seeing straight... no
I didn't expect a better album than this, it would be possible, but hard to make at this point. if you don't like this album at all, you either have to really hate STP, or have something against the ex-GNR members, cos it's a real damn good hard rock album! peace
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 01:44:47 PM by Kiedis » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 02:12:28 PM »

Before I start on this I would like to say that I am not a VR fan at all,....great guitars, shit lyrics, and vocals and lacking in songwriting.

BUT....

Dave...what the hell is wrong with you??...God u r soooo pathetic and bitter.  Just cos Axl cant get his shit together is no excuse to bag out on other peoples music. Even someone as twisted as you can surely see from VR's music that Slash is an incredibly talented guy, and that if this is the music he put together in one year then surley if he was still with Axl, then the potential of those guitars with Izzies songwriting and chords and Axls lyrics/vocals would be amazing.

Without that mix it doesnt seem to be working for ANY of them.

Axl destroyed GNR....fullstop. (every former member agrees on that point) .

He has failed to show his reasons why with MUSIC, and considering GNR was about MUSIC, thats pretty lame. I support the guy, but huge applause to Slash and Duff for getting out there and just having fun and being a band and playing music.....like y'know........normal people, and fuck the consequences.

How am I bitter?  This is what cracks me up. This post was yet another slam on Axl and CD not  being out  yet and then one someone brings up how contraband is just not that good that poster gets slamed.  So its ok to say you like contraband yet slam axl at the same  time but its not ok to not like contraband and then be postive about axl and his new songs.  That is a good one.  I am curious what is going to happen when CD comes out some people do not like it? I know we won't be seeing posts about lets stop all the negative posts about the album, but for VR that is all we get why people don't like it.  If anyone is pathetic its people like you that attack the poster and just does not want to stick to the topic. You dont think its pathetic that rainbow warrior added "The so called new Guns N? Roses - (ought to be named "Axl Rose Band") - may delay their cd for 10 years or more in the future, I don?t care anymore. "

More double standards that are just lame
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 02:16:48 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

discobiscuit1
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 02:28:53 PM »

My god you are predictable dave. Why dont you just write one post and set it on repeat somehow.

Ok , I made a vague negative referance to Axl and the Nu-GNR....boo fucking hoo. I want those guys to succeed nearly as much as you....but like a normal person, I ...like most on this board without a redhead up our arses actually have VALID criticisms of the mess GNR has become.

That is beside the point.

Even the most ardent Nu-GNR supporters on this board think u r a fuckin extremist, verging on nutcase.

I will expect a reply saying 'how funny something is and how I crack you up somehow'

The difference as I see it is, that VR never claimed to be anything but a new band....so if you dont like it...then dont listen.

Whereas Axl is claiming to be GNR...So obviously he has to do something surpassing old GNR to validate his need to destroy old GNR, and to date he has copped a beating in every round...all of his own making. This isnt bashing the guy, as I honestly wish for his sake he could make great music and release it. It is simply an obsevation, and If you are too precious to concede that other people who love GNR are dissapointed that the lead singer is failing miserably...then, fuck off, basically.

Well I guess I'll be 'eating crow' sometime in the next 50 yrs and if so I'll be fuckin happy too.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 02:35:34 PM »

discobiscuit1 well people over on the gnr section get pissed when VR is mention in that section, so why talk about axl and gnr in this section?  And I don?t see how me not liking some of VR songs means I am bashing the band.

As for me being a nutcase, well if you want to talk about off the topic personal BS PM me and Ill discuss it with you otherwise stay on topic, thanks.

discobiscuit1
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 02:43:57 PM »

stop using the pathetic excuse that some people used to bash GNR on that board as a reason to act even more stupidly on this board.

Two wrongs dont make a right...be a bigger person than that and stop being a hypocrite. If you dont like the way someone acts then dont retaliate in the same way , it's childish beyond belief.

And yes, you are a nutcase, I think 80% of this board would agree.

I'll be online for a lil while feel free to PM me as Im not gonna reply to you on this site as it wastes everones time, and I strongly hope noone replies to your BS anymore.

Long live GNR

TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 02:45:35 PM »

Thank god for VR!!!

This album is just unbelievable people.  And the more you listen, the better it gets.  I refuse to take this cd out of my cd player.  Its addictive.  I haven't felt this way since UYIs.  The difference is, while the UYIs were full of filler, there isn't one song on Contraband that you can call filler.  Ever song is borderline great, with a number of songs crossing that line into greatness.  The album is a perfect mix of rocker and ballad.

I can't wait for FTP to be released as a single.  When FTP is officially released with a video, it could become the biggest thing to happen to rock since NR.  It may propel VR into the stratosphere.  Follow that up with one of any other of the 7 or 8 rockers (my preference would be STB or Headspace) and you basically have a recipe for rock and roll domination.

Dave, you need to seek help.  Axl destroyed GNR to go on to do what?  Release what?  Accomplish what?  His material that we have heard so far wouldn't have even made it onto Contraband.  None of those 5 or 6 songs are good enough.  He better come to plate with something more than The Blues.

-TyRod-
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 02:54:22 PM »

Thank god for VR!!!

This album is just unbelievable people.  And the more you listen, the better it gets.  I refuse to take this cd out of my cd player.  Its addictive.  I haven't felt this way since UYIs.  The difference is, while the UYIs were full of filler, there isn't one song on Contraband that you can call filler.  Ever song is borderline great, with a number of songs crossing that line into greatness.  The album is a perfect mix of rocker and ballad.

I can't wait for FTP to be released as a single.  When FTP is officially released with a video, it could become the biggest thing to happen to rock since NR.  It may propel VR into the stratosphere.  Follow that up with one of any other of the 7 or 8 rockers (my preference would be STB or Headspace) and you basically have a recipe for rock and roll domination.

Dave, you need to seek help.  Axl destroyed GNR to go on to do what?  Release what?  Accomplish what?  His material that we have heard so far wouldn't have even made it onto Contraband.  None of those 5 or 6 songs are good enough.  He better come to plate with something more than The Blues.

-TyRod-

The 5 or 6 songs we have heard from axl would not even have made contraband? You have got to be kidding me. Madagascar and the blues are better than anything off of contraband.  Chinese Dem and Oh my god are much better than any of the rockers on contraband, and the song most old school gnr fans hate riyadh and silkworms are better than the worst songs on contraband.  I am sorry and I know its  your opinion but the gnr songs are much better than contraband.

discobiscuit1
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 03:00:32 PM »

I actually disagree. I think the songs Axl has done, other than rhiad are as good or better than the VR stuff. I also feel that Silkworms is very average but am very excited about the potential of similar songs as the style and beats are very different and lend themselves to some potentially amazing music....though admittedly silkworms is below par.

That said...yes Dave needs help.

Back on topic. I watched Letterman the other day and the guys look really cool in a way that rock musicians havent looked for ages. That kinda too cool for words way.

I was with some non GNR fans, and even they admitted that musically they sounded great and looked awesome....the common theme seemed to be that Weiland sounded very average and the lyrics were crap. Everyone seemed to miss Axl's ability to sound a little wild, whereas Weiland sound WAY too restrained and a bit bland......Oh and the Posing hihi

starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 04:15:27 PM »

Thank god for VR!!!

-TyRod-

The 5 or 6 songs we have heard from axl would not even have made contraband? You have got to be kidding me. Madagascar and the blues are better than anything off of contraband.  Chinese Dem and Oh my god are much better than any of the rockers on contraband, and the song most old school gnr fans hate riyadh and silkworms are better than the worst songs on contraband.  I am sorry and I know its  your opinion but the gnr songs are much better than contraband.
well I consider Madagascar and The Blues just as good as You Got No Right and Fall To Pieces... Chinese Democracy, Oh My God and Rhiad are about the same lever as Contraband rockers too... but it's all about production... I love both - simple music as AFD and more produced and with strings and stuff like that. If songs like FTP and YouGot No Right would be performed by Axl and his nu GNR you would love them as much as Madagacar and The Blues  Smiley
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 04:24:27 PM »

I like YGNR and and FTP but not just as much as the blues and madagascar.

Rainbow Warrior
Headliner

Appetite for Rock!

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »

Thank god for VR!!!

Dude, I agree with you  ok with the exception of what you say about UYI.  Shocked

As with you Dave it?s alright that you?ve got another taste than me but to be honest .... how much of the real Guns N? Roses do you actually see in the current line up? The old Gunners (at least until GNR-Lies) were calling each other blood brothers and were all in all what made the band ...... now I can only see one person desperately trying to find his own way of putting a cd together (since the mid 1990s!) and the reason is probably that he no longer is a part of a magic band, but have to follow his own inner thoughts and perfectionism without anyone talking sense into him. Axl is not Guns N? Roses by himself and to me the "use your illusion task" by having the rights to the gnr-name and pretending that the band still exists, has finally proved its failure IMO.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 05:21:50 PM »

Axl IS guns n roses.  His voice, his lyrics, and his ability to pull out some amazing riffs from slash.  Just look at what slash has done since leaving Gnr. Snake pit? Nothing even close to being as good as what he did in gnr, as for VR, yes he has some good work but its not great.  Do you think VR is close to gnr musically? I would not say so.
ON the other hand the stuff axl has done, the few songs we have heard from Cd are amazing, just look at the lyrics.  That is what I expect from Gnr.  Axl always wanted gnr to progress musically but slash has always wanted to stay the same.
Axls lyrics are much better than what is on VR. While VR are still singing about sex, drugs and rock n roll, Axls lyrics are much more mature.

phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 05:22:48 PM »

Why does this  " dave " character feel the need to defend his beloved "axl rose" ??

Im sure hes a big boy now davo`, im sure he reads this and other music forums, but he hasnt got the guts to speak for fear of getting told some home truths.

The facts speak for themselves davo`, axls done fook all for 10 + years, his time has passed him by, now VR will get all the glory that u wanted for the axl rose solo road show, but he cant even keep his hired guns together, i mean, how hard must it be to work with axl, must be really hard to have almost everybody hes worked with walk out on him?

Not good signs for the future for axl rose, i just wish he didnt destroy one of the greatest bands in the world only to fall flat on his face.

-------and time goes by-------
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: