Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash & Duff to sue Axl! part 2 (New info in Slash/Duff lawsuit)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash & Duff to sue Axl! part 2 (New info in Slash/Duff lawsuit)  (Read 67123 times)
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2004, 05:25:20 PM »

I wouldn't object to seeing the 'hours' of tour footage...imagine hours of footage like the Live and Let Die video... Cheesy

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2004, 05:25:29 PM »

Yes Privatereserve,

we have had an attorney who read the brief attached to the celebrity justice case verify that if their claims are true and they prove them as they claim they can, that Axl may be in for a world of hurt. He will effectively lose control of the entire back catalog/licensing/video decision making power for his own band. That might be a first in the history of music, but as Axl likes to remind us, "I'm not sure its really ever been done like this before."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2004, 05:29:51 PM »

but as Axl likes to remind us, "I'm not sure its really ever been done like this before."

ouch!!!!! hihi
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2004, 05:30:03 PM »

Yes Privatereserve,

we have had an attorney who read the brief attached to the celebrity justice case verify that if their claims are true and they prove them as they claim they can, that Axl may be in for a world of hurt. He will effectively lose control of the entire back catalog/licensing/video decision making power for his own band. That might be a first in the history of music, but as Axl likes to remind us, "I'm not sure its
really ever been done like this before."

I sure that doesn't happen.  I don't want to hear no damn gnr song and a cadillac commercial.  I you people know that will happen with Slash and Duff in charge.  Greedy trolls.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2004, 05:30:08 PM »

Thanks Booker,

As a student of law this whole episode is fascinating to me. If the VR guys can really prove what they're claiming, I think its amazing there has been such a time lapse between 95 and now with this technicality not being discovered. Not only that but the stakes are extremely high, and whenever Axl and litigation are involved things are bound to get interesting. This has turned into a blood feud and if it wasn't so sad it would be comical.
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2004, 05:30:26 PM »

Call this a waste of a post, as I really have nothing substantial to add to these well thought out posts.  Just wanted to say that I really appreciate the insight of all those who have tried to bring some semblance of order to this disappointing development....I leave for 3 weeks and return to this!!  Again, much appreciated to all involved...

Cheers
Joe
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 05:31:12 PM by oneway23 » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2004, 05:32:59 PM »

Thanks Booker,

As a student of law this whole episode is fascinating to me. If the VR guys can really prove what they're claiming, I think its amazing there has been such a time lapse between 95 and now with this technicality not being discovered. Not only that but the stakes are extremely high, and whenever Axl and litigation are involved things are bound to get interesting. This has turned into a blood feud and if it wasn't so sad it would be comical.

Do you think they just wanted to cut their ties back then and didn't pay much attention to what they were signing? Or what it all meant to them in the long run?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2004, 05:34:17 PM »

Yes Privatereserve,

we have had an attorney who read the brief attached to the celebrity justice case verify that if their claims are true and they prove them as they claim they can, that Axl may be in for a world of hurt. He will effectively lose control of the entire back catalog/licensing/video decision making power for his own band. That might be a first in the history of music, but as Axl likes to remind us, "I'm not sure its
really ever been done like this before."

I sure that doesn't happen.  I don't want to hear no damn gnr song and a cadillac commercial.  I you people know that will happen with Slash and Duff in charge.  Greedy trolls.

C'mon man you don't know that. How can you make those guys out to be so bad?
Nicos
Rocker

Locomotive (Complicity)

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2004, 05:36:56 PM »

If things are indeed like Duff and Slash say they are, they probably found out when the Greatest Hits thing happened. Axl asked them for their help because their help was needed to stop the GH album.
They did not succeed but do have a chance in winning this case. Why? Because of the time aspect???

Axl probably offered to do a rerecorded version of songs (as he did in Big Daddy) because he has nothing to say about the original versions anymore. There is nothing wrong with that, why would he send them to Duff and Slash if can make some money of his own?
Duff and Slash have a product to sell, that is 100% their responsibility. Axl probably did not say anything about the originals, simply because he does not have anything to say about that anymore (well, he could have, but he probably would not put that on paper with his autograph underneeth. i wonder if GN'R management would...)

I think it was pritty generous of Axl to step out of the partnership, losing the commercial rights to orginal versions. But come on Duff and Slash, can you both really aspect him to sell 'your' stuff instead of his?

N ! 3 |(
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2004, 05:37:20 PM »

Theirs no way Axls going to lose the back catalog and licensing.  That would be devasting to Axl and the new guys.  But I'm sure Axls holding the Aces and thats why they are suing them for a chance of getting shit from Axl.  You never know with judges.  Trust me Axl probaly has the ultimate attorneys working at this why we talk.  I bet Axl might counter sue them.  Wouldn't that be hilarious?
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2004, 05:41:12 PM »

Like I said earlier when this came up, I am not quite sure they ever realized that Axl leaving the partnership would legally leave them with all decision making/licensing rights. I think maybe they figured since Axl owned the name that he could still do what he wanted with it, and they figured if they were still getting payed that nothing had changed except Axl starting a new band under the same name. No one would ever confuse them with genius's, so I am going to go out on a limb and say they just never payed enough attention to know better. Its not like you pull your contracts out and look at them on a daily basis. Which is why the greatest hits flare-up probably triggered this ephiphany that hey, Axl might be in some trouble since he signed this thing. Thus the lawsuit. Ignorance the best assessment I can take as to why it took them this long to figure this out and do this.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2004, 05:43:54 PM »

Theirs no way Axls going to lose the back catalog and licensing.  That would be devasting to Axl and the new guys.  But I'm sure Axls holding the Aces and thats why they are suing them for a chance of getting shit from Axl.  You never know with judges.  Trust me Axl probaly has the ultimate attorneys working at this why we talk.  I bet Axl might counter sue them.  Wouldn't that be hilarious?

I would expect Axl to counter sue. That's the name of the game. A judge could rule in his favor, and then an appeal judge could rule in their favor. It could go on forever. Here in SLC the ACLU won a case against the city. The city appealed, now that judge ruled in their favor. Now the ACLU is appealing that ruling......
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2004, 05:47:18 PM »

Privatereserve-

You've got know clue what you're talking about. The Original GNR Partnership group owns all the decision making rights to all of the old back catalog. Axl signed a document In 95 awaring Duff/Slash that he was pulling out of the partnership to start a new band according to the brief they submitted to the court.

If that is true, there is no Ace in the hole, there is no ultimate lawyer. There is going to be substantial punitve damages and Axl losing control over any decision making power in regard to the back catalog. You need to brace yourself that a judgement in favor of S/D will cripple Axl.

In honor of the Axl lovers:

"If Axl still wanted to be in the Original GNR partnership, he should have never left. Slash and Duff stuck with it, and we should be thankful of that, they continue to care about the Original GNR while Axl turned his back on it. He deserves nothing"  nervous nervous
Dizzy
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2004, 05:47:22 PM »

If not for publicity, Slash/Duff are probably using this lawsuit so they will be able to undisputedly "approve" permission for Velvet Revolver to re-record the old songs, and then only allow the Velvet Revolver recordings to be used in movies. Thus, they are screwing Axl out of performance benefits the same way that he supposedly planed to screw them. In a worst case scenario in which Axl loses out on all accounts, we will have ridiculous versions of "November Rain by Velvet Revolver" appearing on the Sponge Bob Squarepants soundtrack.

Where are you getting this?  I admit that I didn't download the document, but has VR ever expressed interest in re-recording the old GNR songs, or are you just making it up?  

Slash has said many times that he would not even play most GNR songs live without the band, so I highly doubt he and Duff have any interest in re-recording them.

The Greatest Hits album killed off any potential for Axl to release a successful album of re-recorded tracks with the new band.

Thank goodness.  And on the chance that VR do have any intentions to re-record old GNR songs, I am 100% against that too.

. Slash and Duff belive they should have been included
    in the track slections as they were in the Live Era CD.

This can't be the case, because Slash and Duff did work extensively on Live Era.  Slash has publically commented on his involvement on Live Era, and so have several others involved.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2004, 05:50:51 PM »

Well everything that I wanted to say has already been said, particularly regarding Slash and Duff's motives for the lawsuit other than publicity (let's boycott VR!! Gimme a break  Roll Eyes )

Big thanks to whoever posted that link at the start, it was an interesting read. I was looking forward to seeing Exhibits A and B tacked on at the end, but we can't have everything!

Cheers  peace

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2004, 05:51:31 PM »

I would expect Axl to counter sue. That's the name of the game. A judge could rule in his favor, and then an appeal judge could rule in their favor. It could go on forever. Here in SLC the ACLU won a case against the city. The city appealed, now that judge ruled in their favor. Now the ACLU is appealing that ruling......

Yes that actually happened with a company I used to work for.  We won the first  trial.  Than they appealed and had a second court case with a different judge.  They won the second one and we just said fuck it, because we didn't want to deal anymore because it took so much of my time and our companys.   This is just the tip of the iceberg folks.  Sorry to say, unless they come up with some kind of aggreement out of court, which will probaly happen.  
Nicos
Rocker

Locomotive (Complicity)

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2004, 05:54:26 PM »

Theirs no way Axls going to lose the back catalog and licensing.  That would be devasting to Axl and the new guys.

He would still get his royalties.

For the new guys? You mean when they perform live and put that out on DVD or something?

N ! 3 |(
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2004, 05:55:26 PM »

There will be NO SETTLEMENT. Duff/Slash are out for blood and if there case holds up in court, they will not be settling with Axl. They want to screw and break him. And I am lead to believe whatever lawyer read those contracts told them they have a very good chance of gaining complete control of the back catalog or they would not be doing this. This is a power play as has been said, not "well.....give me a couple dollars and we'll call it even"
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2004, 05:55:33 PM »

Privatereserve-

You've got know clue what you're talking about. The Original GNR Partnership group owns all the decision making rights to all of the old back catalog. Axl signed a document In 95 awaring Duff/Slash that he was pulling out of the partnership to start a new band according to the brief they submitted to the court.

Whatever dude.  You don't shit either so quit talking.  

If that is true, there is no Ace in the hole, there is no ultimate lawyer. There is going to be substantial punitve damages and Axl losing control over any decision making power in regard to the back catalog. You need to brace yourself that a judgement in favor of S/D will cripple Axl.

In honor of the Axl lovers:

"If Axl still wanted to be in the Original GNR partnership, he should have never left. Slash and Duff stuck with it, and we should be thankful of that, they continue to care about the Original GNR while Axl turned his back on it. He deserves nothing"  nervous nervous
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2004, 06:00:55 PM »

NAUPIS

You don't know if there will be a settlement or not so quit your BS.  Yeah you can I have slash and duff I will take Axls concert instead of those drunks anytime.  By the way have you ever been to one of the new gnr shows?  I didn't think so.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: