Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 01:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When Did GNR "Jump the Shark?"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Did GNR "Jump the Shark?"  (Read 47544 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2005, 07:30:52 PM »

What do you all have against the piano?? Huh
it sounds great. I prefer bands with piano/keyboard than ridiculous close minded heavy-metal bands who spit on this instrument because, according to them, it's a "gay instrument"? Roll Eyes yeah right... It's weird because lots of hardcore AFD fans think like that. I will never understand them.
this way of thinking is ridiculous. The piano is the base in music (Rock, Blues, Jazz, Soul, Classical, Salsa, latino music, variety etc...) and it's a fantastic instrument.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 07:42:57 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jgfnsr
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2005, 10:10:36 PM »

it sounds great. I prefer bands with piano/keyboard than ridiculous close minded heavy-metal bands who spit on this instrument because, according to them, it's a "gay instrument"? Roll Eyes yeah right... It's weird because lots of hardcore AFD fans think like that. I will never understand them.
this way of thinking is ridiculous. The piano is the base in music (Rock, Blues, Jazz, Soul, Classical, Salsa, latino music, variety etc...) and it's a fantastic instrument.

My question is why are those who are fans of Appetite alone waiting for the new album?

In other words why do people who think Guns N' Roses, or at least Axl, hasn't done anything good since 1987 still hang around?? Huh?
jgfnsr
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2005, 10:33:30 PM »

The Pistols did 1 record so doing "the same thing over and over and over again" would be a trick now wouldn't it?? Roll Eyes

Not really.?

"Never Mind the Bollocks" just had the same song over and over again.? ?Grin

That's a pretty big generalization of the most influential record of the past 30 years, bar none.

The most influential?

I don't know about that.  The Ramones, The Clash, and maybe even Velvet Underground could be said to have been as "influential" as the Sex Pistols as far as punk goes.

But I don't think any of those bands could be considered the most influential in the last 30 years. 

That would probably have to go to U2.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2005, 10:44:30 PM »

The Pistols did 1 record so doing "the same thing over and over and over again" would be a trick now wouldn't it?? Roll Eyes

Not really.?

"Never Mind the Bollocks" just had the same song over and over again.? ?Grin

That's a pretty big generalization of the most influential record of the past 30 years, bar none.

The most influential?

I don't know about that.? The Ramones, The Clash, and maybe even Velvet Underground could be said to have been as "influential" as the Sex Pistols as far as punk goes.

But I don't think any of those bands could be considered the most influential in the last 30 years.?

That would probably have to go to U2.

Not a group.

Not a body of work.

I'm talking about one record.

"Never Mind The Bollocks" is it, hands down.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2005, 07:29:10 AM »

My question is why are those who are fans of Appetite alone waiting for the new album?

In other words why do people who think Guns N' Roses, or at least Axl, hasn't done anything good since 1987 still hang around?? Huh?

Yes, I agree with you. Everytime I tried to talk with a "metal" fan about the piano or even the Illusion erea I had troubles with them. I don't know what they have in their head, but they must have a small brain. For them, Guns N' Roses is just Appetite, all the rest is shit, November Rain and Estranged are shit songs, the piano is not Guns N' Roses, Axl is an asshole etc...they are so stupid. It's unbelievable. It's like if they stop in 1987 in their head.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 07:33:10 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
mick
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2005, 09:10:16 AM »

What do you all have against the piano?  Huh
it sounds great. I prefer bands with piano/keyboard than ridiculous close minded heavy-metal bands who spit on this instrument because, according to them, it's a "gay instrument"  Roll Eyes yeah right... It's weird because lots of hardcore AFD fans think like that. I will never understand them.

In other words why do people who think Guns N' Roses, or at least Axl, hasn't done anything good since 1987 still hang around?   Huh

Yes, I agree with you. Everytime I tried to talk with a "metal" fan about the piano or even the Illusion erea I had troubles with them. I don't know what they have in their head, but they must have a small brain. For them, Guns N' Roses is just Appetite, all the rest is shit, November Rain and Estranged are shit songs, the piano is not Guns N' Roses, Axl is an asshole etc...they are so stupid. It's unbelievable. It's like if they stop in 1987 in their head.

When you run into these people be sure to point out there is plenty of keyboard on Paradise City, and that a good number of Illusions songs were written FOR AFD.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2005, 01:08:02 PM »

Ive run into similar fans who believe that past Appetite and Lies, GnR was over in their eyes. To them its mainly they feel the Illusions are just mainly overproduced epics and filler material that is all over the map. I dont tend to agree with an opinion like that since I love the UYI's, but if you look at NR or Estranged, it is obvious they are solely Axl's vision and not GnR's.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2005, 06:01:08 AM »

I dont think that UYI was jumping the shark. Great albums they are! And the tour.. well, maybe it was sometimes kinda lame, but still that is Guns n' Roses for me, and I love to listen to and watch to those old live recordings  smoking The best band ever! The only band that I have listened since I started to like music. But, jumping the shark happened after TSI. After that, they didnt do anything. And when Slash left, the band was totally dead. Second shark-jump is now.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
mike_giuliana
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2005, 11:29:23 AM »

When did gnr jump the shark?? Good question.. I would say to the public it was definetly with the estranged video.. That song is so good yet it was fighting tom petty on mtv for top spot, now way that happens previous years..
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2005, 11:41:53 AM »

For me it was the day i bought those Tokyo concerts. I got them bootlegged several months before they came out for the public. I was pretty shocked & disappointed after watching those & wondered what the fuck happened to my favorite band? Duff was a bloated cliche. Sorum looked constipated & had a waaaay to long drum solo. Axl sounded like shit & pretty much sucked all the way around. I'll never forget that day, as it was all pretty much downhill from there.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
mike_giuliana
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2005, 11:54:44 AM »

For me it was the day i bought those Tokyo concerts. I got them bootlegged several months before they came out for the public. I was pretty shocked & disappointed after watching those & wondered what the fuck happened to my favorite band? Duff was a bloated cliche. Sorum looked constipated & had a waaaay to long drum solo. Axl sounded like shit & pretty much sucked all the way around. I'll never forget that day, as it was all pretty much downhill from there.

drum solo I agree... I think slash played really well all around, I think axl sounded great on scom.. I liked the raspy voice a lot.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2005, 04:55:01 PM »

I totally feel you you man Undecided those dvds were trully a dissapointment for me when I got them on Christmas morning Cry. Sorums drum solo put me and my cat asleep on the coach though..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2005, 03:56:26 AM »

First I didnt like those dvds and I was totally dissapointed, but after listening them couple of times, they are so fucking great stuff! I love them  smoking

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2005, 06:00:24 AM »

I prefer bands with piano/keyboard than ridiculous close minded heavy-metal bands who spit on this instrument

Everytime I tried to talk with a "metal" fan about the piano

Hah, you seem slightly obsessed with this thing. It's fairly amusing that you don't actually know shit about metal music, and yet you keep calling metal fans close-minded Tongue It's not at all unusual for a metal band to have keyboards as part of their music, from Paradise Lost to Dream Theater and Type O Negative to Emperor.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2005, 02:40:24 PM »

I think it was a disappointed for most GnR fans as we were expecting to see our band at their height in a realistic concert.  Those concerts seem about as real as Spinal Tap at times and seemed like they were just thrown together to make money rather then put out a good concert.  And I am glad to see that others agree SCROTUM's solo was was too long and they could of played 2 different GnR songs in that spot.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2005, 03:49:11 PM »

^Yet, I must say that particular performance of Estranged in Tokyo was brilliant.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2005, 03:52:45 PM »

The Estranged video. I mean, come on, Slash sliding along Sunset as Axl jumps off an oil tanker and swims with dolphins? Even Spinal Tap weren't that pretentious Tongue
slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »

They jumped the shark when the release d8 4 Chinese Democracy was announced.

I agree with the Estranged vid though. Axl swimming with dolphins, its not very street. Roll Eyes
(or so they say) hihi
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 03:07:40 PM by slash4ever » Logged

What's so civil about war anyway?
smith13
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2005, 05:21:04 PM »

taking to long so long to put out CD and the 02 tour ending
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2005, 07:15:59 PM »

I find it hard to believe that you guys dont think the Sympathy for The Devil release was the main shark jump. I remember hearing it for the first time vividly. Matt Sorum was doing an interview on the radio and the DJ said it was time to hear the new GNR song from the film interview with a Vampire. When Axl started singing Mick Jagger's lines, I knew the band would never be the same. I could just sense it. GNR was supposedly hard at work on a new album at that time, and a Stones cover was the best they could do? It was unreal. Years later, Slash even admitted that when you hear that song, its the sound of the band breaking up. Slash, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: