Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Steven Adler on Illusions
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steven Adler on Illusions  (Read 8320 times)
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 06:50:29 PM »

You guys are mistaking chemistry for musicianship.  Sure, Steven and the band had chemistry, but Steven is not a good drummer.  

Point to one song Steven played on where his drumming doesn't sound incredible and I'll side with you.  Because otherwise, you don't have a leg to stand on when you state he isn't a good drummer.

Your opinion is set, and there is no way to convince you otherwise.  I'm glad you enjoy his drumming.  As they say, ignorance is bliss.  
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2004, 06:54:13 PM »

::)Sure buddy.  You're an annoying oldfuck.  Get off my nuts, get the fuck off the net, take your ugly self, and try to get some pussy.  That's all I can recommend.  There are plenty of "stuck in the 80's" 40 year old sluts at those Ozzy shows you go to.  Now scram ok

Gone. [wave]

You just couldn't stop your stupid shit.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2004, 06:54:25 PM »

"As they say, ignorance is bliss."

wow , Nick , if you think adlers drumming sucked on AFD then what you just said about ignorance totally apllies to yourself.

Dizzy
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2004, 06:56:08 PM »

Jarmo, for some reason you've got me singing that Queen song "Another One Bites the Dust".   hihi

Your opinion is set, and there is no way to convince you otherwise.  

Pot calling the kettle black.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 06:57:58 PM by Dizzy » Logged
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2004, 01:06:13 AM »

Here's what are lead GNR player had to say about Steven's playing:

K : What about Steven Adler, your drummer? First he?s out of the band, then he?s back again. What?s the story right now?

A : He is back in the band. He was definitely out of the band. He wasn?t necessarily fired, we worked with Adam Maples, we worked with Martin Chambers, and Steven did the Guns N? Roses thing and got his shit together. And it worked, and he did it, and he plays the songs better than any of ?em, just bad-assed, and he?s GNR. And so if he doesn?t blow it, we?re going to try the album with him, and the tour.

Maybe CD is taking so long because AXL is tying to convert Brain into Steven (regarding drumming feel with the songs)

Mark N' Roses

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2004, 03:42:15 AM »

Here's what are lead GNR player had to say about Steven's playing:

K : What about Steven Adler, your drummer? First he?s out of the band, then he?s back again. What?s the story right now?

A : He is back in the band. He was definitely out of the band. He wasn?t necessarily fired, we worked with Adam Maples, we worked with Martin Chambers, and Steven did the Guns N? Roses thing and got his shit together. And it worked, and he did it, and he plays the songs better than any of ?em, just bad-assed, and he?s GNR. And so if he doesn?t blow it, we?re going to try the album with him, and the tour.

Maybe CD is taking so long because AXL is tying to convert Brain into Steven (regarding drumming feel with the songs)

Mark N' Roses

we all now that matt is the better drummer, but steven was better for GN'R! right?  Wink

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2004, 09:19:12 AM »

Steven Adler is an undeserving bum.  I think he was just a buddy/hanger on that got real lucky.  I don't give him any credit whatsoever.
aswell a the fact hes a very good drummer.
Aswell as the fact he is a damn good drummer, clearly better than Matt

Yeah, what kind of fag joins a band with his friends?  Roll Eyes

He was lucky because he was friends with them.  They brought him along for the ride, not because of his musicianship, but only because he was their friend.  But as we all know, it was never meant to work out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 09:20:35 AM by axl_rose_700 » Logged

That's a hatrick for Doull
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 12:44:18 PM »

I liked Steven, but let's face it, he's not a good drummer no
dude get your head outta ur ass and ull hear it...steven rocked as a drummer...
i jus wonder how brain compares to steven or for that matter any other drummers GNR ever had..i mean all of them could build a song around a drumbeat but brain...erm...i really dunno
the only song i like drumming on is chinese democracy and unless im mistaken that was done by josh freese...man hes badass,axl shud not have let him go Undecided
and by gone jarmo, do u mean nick's finally banned?

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
anythinggoes
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2004, 12:48:36 PM »

I didnt start this thread as a reason to bash Steven "popcorn" Adler so why all the shit he is the drummer on what most people claim to be the greatest debut rock album in the world so he couldnt have been that crap sure the guy had issues but fuck didnt they all. at least he didnt have to prove himself by doing a 25 minute solo fgs
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2004, 12:57:17 PM »

I liked Steven, but let's face it, he's not a good drummer no
dude get your head outta ur ass and ull hear it...steven rocked as a drummer...
i jus wonder how brain compares to steven or for that matter any other drummers GNR ever had..i mean all of them could build a song around a drumbeat but brain...erm...i really dunno
the only song i like drumming on is chinese democracy and unless im mistaken that was done by josh freese...man hes badass,axl shud not have let him go Undecided
and by gone jarmo, do u mean nick's finally banned?

don't worry about Brain, he's a brilliant drummer and very capable of building beats for songs, you should check out the work he did for Primus. Im not saying you'll love the music, cos it's either love or hate, but the drumming is awesome!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2004, 11:01:33 PM »

Just renforce that Adler played drums on KOHD- DOT version is the fact that the song was relased 1 month before matt was introduced as the replacement because Adler was fired.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2004, 11:38:56 PM »

The following UYI songs were played live with Steven...

Yesterdays

What show was this at?  Undecided

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Dizzy
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2004, 09:01:52 AM »

The following UYI songs were played live with Steven...

Yesterdays
What show was this at?  Undecided

January 14, 1988 in Hollywood, CA.

They also played a cover of "Born to Be Wild" at that show.   Smiley
In a coma
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2004, 01:17:51 PM »

I completely disagree he was a great drummer and is also a really cool guy when you meet him. Listen to what Izzy said about him.

Ladies and Gentleman Guns N Fucking Roses
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2004, 05:19:02 PM »

As a drummer myself, I have to admit that Adler was sub par in the skill department.  But that isn't to take away from the ability he had to really play the right beat at the right spot and lay down the perfect rhythm (eg. Brownstone, i'ts So Easy or the simplistic intro to Paradise City).  He was gifted at writing the drums that fit the song even if it was a simple beat.  I will say that in terms of technical aspects of drumming we never really saw what he could do there....perhaps because he couldn't awe us with soloing and such forth, I'm on the fence with this one.  I do like Alder's songwriting - but he never astonished anyone with technical ability - live or on albums.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 05:20:20 PM by KeVoRkIaN » Logged

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2004, 11:16:27 PM »

As a drummer myself, I have to admit that Adler was sub par in the skill department.  But that isn't to take away from the ability he had to really play the right beat at the right spot and lay down the perfect rhythm (eg. Brownstone, i'ts So Easy or the simplistic intro to Paradise City).  He was gifted at writing the drums that fit the song even if it was a simple beat.  I will say that in terms of technical aspects of drumming we never really saw what he could do there....perhaps because he couldn't awe us with soloing and such forth, I'm on the fence with this one.  I do like Alder's songwriting - but he never astonished anyone with technical ability - live or on albums.
And that makes you an expert how? Tongue

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2004, 11:35:12 PM »

Play AFD and UYI to a drummer and let them decide.

Matt Sorum is a fuckin joke compared to champions league drummers like Bonzo, Dave Grohl or yes - even Steven Adler. Just look at Sorum's annoying drum solos on the UYI tour. They were fillers just so the others could have a cigarette break, and these solos lacked every kind of creativity. It was twenty minutes of masturbation. Compare that to "Moby Dick" (you can even SEE it now on the Led Zeppelin DVD) and you know the difference between drumming and jerking off.

Steven, on the other hand, was more supportive to the material. He had no solos or big release anywhere, but his drumming really held it together. It's evident on the album, and it was evident in concerts.

I really don't understand why so many people bash Adler as a loser and stuff. How can you juge that? Do you know him personally? Do you know what happened back then? Do you know what REALLY lead to his departure? I don't. And so the only opinion I afford myself to speak out loud is about his drumming - wich was fucking excellent.

ok, Ive played AFD and UYI countless times, and Im a drummer, I have to say that on the issue of Sorums solos, I agree 100%!
even if Matt figured out a few awesome combo beats for some of the songs, I can pretty much guarantee you that they would have sounded better with Steven.

Im drunk now so if you have any questions on this issue, please ask.

I LOVE Steven's drumming, but on the other hand, my opinion is that Matt's drumming was too much of a "metal" style. to put it simply, I HATE 95% of all metal music, and I HATE metal drumming,  all that lousy sounding double bass stuff, it turns my guts.....AND, Matt or whatever, the producer or who, used REAL shitty sounds on the drums Matt played for the Illusions!

Ive probably forgot what I came here to write, but I'll get back tomorrow to comment further.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2004, 03:44:23 PM »

Isn't this topic supposed to be on EX GUNNERS Tongue Roll Eyes

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2004, 03:30:01 AM »

holy shit did nick083 really get the boot? someone tell me if he for real did so i can do my signature axl rir3 throw out

anyhow cmon steven adler is the fuckin shit! matt's solo's at tokyo are horrible! if u wanna hear a drum solo check out "carr jam" on kiss' revenge cd, eric carr now theres a drummin sonbitch! rip eric carr

anyhow steven's drumming has a way more solid groove on afd then matt or brains

i have a gnr mix cd and im won of those cdplayer sing along dance along kind of dudes

when an appetite song comes on u just groove, u do the snakedance, and just rock back and forth, use your illusions dont have that kind of swing at all, thats the biggest difference i hear

also the breakdown in welcome to the jungle, those drums steven hits are on point, u know before the "u know where u are" part those little conga sounding drums or whatever

i have joked about adler in the past but that man was one kick ass drummer! gotta give credit where credit is due!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2004, 04:26:39 PM »

I will admit, Steven Adler isn't my favorite drummer in the world, but anyone that says he is a bad drummer doesn't really no shit about playing drums.  If anything, Adlers drumming on AFD is underrated.  I prefer Matt Sorum to Steven, but that doesn't mean he can't play.  The drumming on AFD is amazing.  It was so much better than anything that had come out in years at the time.  If he was still in GNR, I doubt that the people that say he sucks would even talk shit about him.  It would be the same as if Slash was still in this band, nobody would ever say Buckethead was better than slash.  Gotta go to work now, this sucks. smoking smoking

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: