Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Steven Adler on Illusions
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steven Adler on Illusions  (Read 8312 times)
anythinggoes
« on: January 22, 2004, 11:14:25 AM »

I recently saw a video of Civil War being played by GNR at a benifit with Steven Adler on Drums, in a documentary there is a clip from 1989 of Axl with West Arkeen singing Yesterdays and The Garden at a bar. A lot of the illusion songs were written when Steven Adler was in the band so does he or did he have any rights to them and has anybody seen clips of him playing any of the Illusion songs live (except KOHD and Dont Cry).  
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 11:47:57 AM »

He played Civil War and Down on the Farm at Farm Aid.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 11:53:44 AM »

Adler was in the band when many of the songs were written, but when the time came to record them in the studio Matt did his own thing on the drums. Listen to an old version of don't cry and the album version, there's a huge difference in the drumming.

The only song which steven gets royalties for is civil war as it's the only one that features him.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 01:02:06 PM »

Adler was in the band when many of the songs were written, but when the time came to record them in the studio Matt did his own thing on the drums. Listen to an old version of don't cry and the album version, there's a huge difference in the drumming.

The only song which steven gets royalties for is civil war as it's the only one that features him.

You're right.  And the first time GNR recorded a song w/ Matt they recorded Knockin On Heavens Door.  I believe that went to the "Days of Thunder" soundtrack.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 02:04:32 PM »

Steven Adler is an undeserving bum.  I think he was just a buddy/hanger on that got real lucky.  I don't give him any credit whatsoever.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 02:12:28 PM »

Steven Adler is an undeserving bum.  I think he was just a buddy/hanger on that got real lucky.  I don't give him any credit whatsoever.

Yeah, what kind of fag joins a band with his friends?  Roll Eyes
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 02:18:59 PM »

He was lucky because he was friends with them.  They brought him along for the ride, not because of his musicianship, but only because he was their friend.  But as we all know, it was never meant to work out.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 03:37:15 PM »

You're right.  And the first time GNR recorded a song w/ Matt they recorded Knockin On Heavens Door.  I believe that went to the "Days of Thunder" soundtrack.

I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Steven plays drums on the Days Of Thunder version of KOHD.

and Nick, it always amazes me how much shit you are capable of writing.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 03:37:26 PM »

The only song which steven gets royalties for is civil war

But he don't get shit because he only plays on that song...

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
SwedeChildO'Mine
Guy in the locker, feeling like a
Rocker

W. Axl Rose - Pure talent

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 05:26:57 PM »

Quote from Nick83:
"He was lucky because he was friends with them.  They brought him along for the ride, not because of his musicianship, but only because he was their friend.  But as we all know, it was never meant to work out."

OK, with your musical taste I guess you think Matt Sorum is Axl's cousin...
And John Lennon were Paul's older brother...

The drumming on AFD wins by a mile over the drumming on UYI1 & UYI2.
badapple81
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 05:33:18 PM »

How come Civil War wasnt redone with Matts drumming? Was it just  a matter of time being as the date for the UYI release had already been set back so many times?

Nick.. no matter what problems Steven did have.. theres no doubt his drumming was great and suited perfectly for that era of GNR.. I think it was Slash who said that as soon as he left, GNR lost a lot of the rhythm and tempo that had become natural to them.. cant remember the exact quote..

Dizzy
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 05:40:24 PM »

The following UYI songs were played live with Steven...

Don't Cry
Back off Bitch
Yesterdays
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Civil War

The following TSI songs were played live with Steven...

Down on the Farm
Hair of the Dog

I have a CD with the following UYI demos featuring Steven on drums...

Civil War (three versions)
Get in the Ring
Ain't Goin Down
Don't Damn Me (two versions)
Garden of Eden
Locomotive
Dust N Bones

And according to Steven, he, Duff, and Slash wrote and rehearsed 36 new songs during the 1989 Chicago sessions

I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Steven plays drums on the Days Of Thunder version of KOHD.

Correct.  Steven does indeed play drums on the Days of Thunder version.  It was released in 1990 before his termination.

Nick, it always amazes me how much shit you are capable of writing.

Don't worry about Nick, he admits that he's drunk when he authors most of his posts.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 05:47:43 PM by Dizzy » Logged
Dizzy
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 05:42:07 PM »

How come Civil War wasnt redone with Matts drumming? Was it just  a matter of time being as the date for the UYI release had already been set back so many times?

That would be my guess.  I'm just thankful we got Steven at least once on the UYI set.

Nick.. no matter what problems Steven did have.. theres no doubt his drumming was great and suited perfectly for that era of GNR.. I think it was Slash who said that as soon as he left, GNR lost a lot of the rhythm and tempo that had become natural to them.. cant remember the exact quote..

Look no further than my signature for that quote.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked.
---Izzy Stradlin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 05:44:58 PM by Dizzy » Logged
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 05:45:38 PM »

He was lucky because he was friends with them.  They brought him along for the ride, not because of his musicianship, but only because he was their friend.  But as we all know, it was never meant to work out.

Come on, I like to rag on Steven and make fun of him too, but you have to admit that he's a really good drummer (or was anyway) and that he's the drummer on the greatest debut rock album of all time ... not too shabby of a resume.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 06:33:12 PM »

I liked Steven, but let's face it, he's not a good drummer no
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 06:35:53 PM »

Don't worry about Nick, he admits that he's drunk when he authors most of his posts.
::)Sure buddy.  You're an annoying oldfuck.  Get off my nuts, get the fuck off the net, take your ugly self, and try to get some pussy.  That's all I can recommend.  There are plenty of "stuck in the 80's" 40 year old sluts at those Ozzy shows you go to.  Now scram ok
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2004, 06:42:22 PM »

Steven Adlers drumming was top level on AFD and the live like a suicide ep.

He even fucking rocked live ... watch the old boots or the mtv ritz concert. It was only when the drugs totally took over his life that he started to slide. And then he became the perfect scapegoat for the rest of the drug battling band and got the boot in hopes the rest of the band would somehow clean up somewhat.

IMHO , GNR was never the same once adler was gone , I think it's a BIG reason Izzy finally left. Sad

btw..funny tidbit about adler..if you watch really close at the farm aid show when the band takes the stage adler comes running out and as he goes to jump up on his drum riser he trips and falls face first on a cymbal , really hard!!!! LMAO!

Dizzy
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2004, 06:44:45 PM »

IMHO , GNR was never the same once adler was gone , I think it's a BIG reason Izzy finally left.

I knew it was the beginning of the end when Steven was legally voted out of the band for doing drugs.  This coming from a band who spent five years doing groupies and acting like idiots!
--Izzy
Nick83
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 06:44:58 PM »

You guys are mistaking chemistry for musicianship.  Sure, Steven and the band had chemistry, but Steven is not a good drummer.  
Dizzy
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 06:48:43 PM »

You guys are mistaking chemistry for musicianship.  Sure, Steven and the band had chemistry, but Steven is not a good drummer.  

Point to one song Steven played on where his drumming doesn't sound incredible and I'll side with you.  Because otherwise, you don't have a leg to stand on when you state he isn't a good drummer.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: