Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:32:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff N' Izzy or Weiland on vocals?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff N' Izzy or Weiland on vocals?  (Read 9385 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« on: September 25, 2003, 01:14:38 PM »

In a recent interview Slash claimed that Izzy proposed that he (Izzy) and Duff do the singing for Velvet Revolver rather than get a singer in.

Would you have been happy if it had turned out that way with Duff N' Izzy on Vocals, Slash on Lead, Dave on Rythmn, Duff on bass and Matt on drums?

Personally i would have greatly preferred that...its not that i dislike Scott Weiland its just I think Duff N' Izzy are both brialliant vocalists and lyricists (esp Izzy), also this scenario would have left 3 original GNR members in the group.....for me that would have been a real rival for the title of true GNR.

Anyway I ramble....bascially would you have preferred Duff N' Izzy on vocals or Scott Weiland?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 07:14:08 PM »

I'd like duff and izzy too, well izzy as lead, duff as backup. I always dug Izzy's voice, its pretty cool. Duff isn't all that great of a lead singer in my opinion, though he has definitely come a long way since So Fine  Grin
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 11:25:48 PM »

u have to be kidding me, i like izzy's voice ok but izzy is just to damn unreliable, duff u are jokin right? scott was the best choice out of anyone they couldve got, i preferred sebastian bach but i guess he is still to 80's!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 12:07:28 AM »

Izzy is an awesome singer, i would LOVE  whole album of songs like dust n' bones and 14 years!!

Izzy kicks ass!

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
GNR_AXL_ROSE
Opening Act

Axl's gonna change it all And HE'S BACK!!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 12:25:43 AM »

Duff N' Izzy

AXL SLASH DUFF IZZY STEVEN DIZZY GILBY MATT PAUL BUCKETHEAD FINCK FORTUS BRAIN JOSH TOMMY DJ Bumblefoot Frank Dizzy Pittman Once G'NR Forever GN'R
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 12:26:15 AM »

Duff is an abysmal vocalist. His sense of vocals is quite shaky... listen to his backups at El Rey... OUCH. Izzy has a cool voice but in a band that you want to get big the vocalist has to be something really special, not just OK.  Plus, when a guitarist sings and plays rhythm, both his guitar playing and singing suffer to an extent.
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 03:05:19 AM »

Yes, it would have been a little daydream to see izzy singing with the band! Izzy's got great voice and

don't know why so many bash duff as a singer. I think he is awesome on so fine, and izzy's

better than axl could do on Dust N' Bones and 14 years! so why it has to be always so complicated

what comes to Axl, Izzy and whole old and new GNR scene. Perhaps it's only rock and roll. Well good

luck to Weiland. This guy is clam.....seriously!  Smiley
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 04:44:54 AM »

Plus, when a guitarist sings and plays rhythm, both his guitar playing and singing suffer to an extent.

Who said anything about him playing rythumn guitar live? We would have Dave for that.

It seems from your responses people would have preffered Duff N' Izzy, that would have been the dream scenario for me.

Also someone mentioned to get big u need a 'really special' vocalist...and Izzy Stradlin GNR's original rythmn guitarist/song writer/vocalist isn't that?

Also Muse are huge and are u trying to tell me their vocalist (Matt Bellamy??) is anything special? Hell he has the charisma and personality of a lump of wood.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 01:12:48 PM »

Izzy, Im sure it works great for Muse. Im into music quite heavily and I dont even know who the hell they are. Just because some other bands have an OK vocalist doesnt mean that VR shouldnt have someone who's entire art is dedicated to that solely. Look at a lot of the really big great groups, Zepplin, The Who, Queen... their vocalists were all masters of their voice. While Izzy is a good singer, why would you settle for good when you can get someone great?

Piss simple guitar leads worked nirvana so why don't we just kick out Slash now... hey Nirvana was huge.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 03:33:54 PM »

Izzy, Im sure it works great for Muse. Im into music quite heavily and I dont even know who the hell they are. Just because some other bands have an OK vocalist doesnt mean that VR shouldnt have someone who's entire art is dedicated to that solely. Look at a lot of the really big great groups, Zepplin, The Who, Queen... their vocalists were all masters of their voice. While Izzy is a good singer, why would you settle for good when you can get someone great?

Piss simple guitar leads worked nirvana so why don't we just kick out Slash now... hey Nirvana was huge.

Wow...some venom there.

Surprised u haven't heard of Muse, their 4th album dropped this monday 'absolution', they are okay i suppose.....

Okay i get ur point about needing a great vocalist, but in my mind Izzy is just that + he can write brilliant songs, fair enough u disagree but is Scott Weiland better? I don't think so....he is hardly a frontman in league with the Mick Jaggers/ Freddy Mercury's/ etc. Ur right VR need a top class vocalist...i don't think they have that in Scott and therefore might as well have gone for Izzy and maintained that GNR vibe.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 04:00:30 PM »

One vocalist - Izzy

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 04:08:05 PM »

in my opinion I would like to have Izzy playing rhythm and writing...  I am soso with Scott, I think he's ass terrible live. The lyrics to Set Me Free make ZERO sense... he has a stage presence though. I wish they got someone better than him, although comming from a different area of music it gives VR an anti revival/nostalgia band. I really wish they got someone better than Scott, I'm afraid it won't take off so well anymore.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 04:25:49 PM »

in my opinion I would like to have Izzy playing rhythm and writing...  I am soso with Scott, I think he's ass terrible live. The lyrics to Set Me Free make ZERO sense... he has a stage presence though. I wish they got someone better than him, although comming from a different area of music it gives VR an anti revival/nostalgia band. I really wish they got someone better than Scott, I'm afraid it won't take off so well anymore.

We are in totally agreement then.

I was hoping Sebastian Back or Mike Patton would get the job, (if Izzy and Duff weren't gonna do it) both have brilliant voices and can write some good shite. I have to say i like set me free.....but if it was by anyone other than Slash/Duff and Matt i would have ignored it. The lyrics are poor..thats not the end of the world for a rock n' fuckin' roll group but all the same.........

Thats why Duff N Izzy would have been so cool, 1. they are available, 2. u got that GNR thing going with 4 members plus u got Duff for the harder appetite stuff and Izzy to provide great lyrics, 3. they are both experienced vocalists.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 10:43:27 PM »

Im extremely glad they got Scott, this way they already have Scotts fanbase along with all us GN'R fans as listeners now, before their first album is even finished.
if Izzy was the singer is would be only us GN'R fans.
plus Scott is a good singer/songwriter, I want Izzy in the band as well, but as a writer/guitarplayer/backup singer.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2003, 03:40:29 PM »

First off, Duff should NEVER be allowed behind a functional microphone.

Izzy is probably my favorite one of the bunch but his agenda doesn't fit with the band's.

So, Scott is it for me...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 03:41:08 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Thumper
Catwoman eh!
Legend

The wolf's clear, intelligent eyes brushed mine.

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2003, 05:09:41 PM »

Definitely Scott.  They need to be fronted by someone with more talent and better vocals than either Izzy and Duff could provide or else I don't think it would have any more success than any of their solo projects had.  

Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2003, 06:05:27 PM »

yeah otherwise this would just be Ju Ju Hounds + Snakepit + Loaded... it's like musical incest even though the 3 bands were different. They needed to bring someone from the outside who came from their own style AND fan base.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2003, 10:22:22 AM »

I don't mind Scott... I think the band needs a dedicated frontman. Like someone already said, all the greats; Zep, The Who, Queen all had dedicated frontmen/singers/entertainers. It makes the band much more dynamic.

As much as I'd love to hear Izzy sing, many people would just rip the shit out of the band for not caring, and putting together a half-assed Snakepit MKIII.

Scott just being there shows that this band has serious intentions, and Scott is also bringing a fresh fanbase with him too, which is only a good thing.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
insane478
Opening Act

The Man With No Name

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 01:05:15 PM »

Scott....

*** THE LEFT HAND OF THE DEVIL ***
popcorn
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 01:58:57 PM »

I'm all for Weiland fronting this band. The guy is willing to take chances & has a vocal style that is very diverse. VR could play any type of song & pull it off with Weiland singing.

I think Izzy & Duff are classic back-up vocalists in a rock band, but I've never been impressed with them singing lead. Maybe on some slower blues-based stuff or some punk cover, but nothing that really is up to par with a guitarist like Slash in your band.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: