Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 09:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  A "quote" for all occasions..(did I spell that right?)
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 80 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A "quote" for all occasions..(did I spell that right?)  (Read 300367 times)
MCT
« Reply #1480 on: July 02, 2007, 07:18:52 PM »

Cooper's word-sense was singularly dull. When a person has a poor ear for music he will flat and sharp right along without knowing it. He keeps near the tune, but it is not the tune. When a person has a poor ear for words, the result is a literary flatting and sharping; you perceive what he is intending to say, but you also perceive that he doesn't say it. This is Cooper. He was not a word-musician. His ear was satisfied with the approximate word.

--Mark Twain/excerpt from, "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offences"--

Also:

The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think.

--Edwin Schlossberg--

An easily exploitable opening, that. Consider it a charitable donation to the Fatuity Foundation.

Anyway, a "real" (God forgive me for my laziness this morning) quote is, in my opinion, something worthy of being quoted. And I suppose the determination of worth would come from the quote's inherent capacity to give a moment's pause to the reader as they pondered whatever erudite insight, clever wordplay or divergent line of thinking that was contained within. Unlike say, this:

Change demands blood.

That doesn't even make sense. Change (I assume you're not talking about nickels and dimes) doesn't necessarily demand blood. Besides, there's no setup, no elbow room for one to cogitate. It's just a murky and generalized statement in the guise of something entirely more profound. In other words, it's shit. Savvy?

Oh believe me, I savy.

And I Tarzan. We should swing tree to tree together on jungle vines. That'd be cool.

How is it any of your business what I choose to express?

Express away and to your heart's content! Just don't post your own garbage (eschew, eschew!).

How does that effect anything in your life?

Meaningless angle.

To the extent that you have to resort to childish defiance of an expression that doesn't fit your personal preference, and then attempt to defend that behaviour with superflous big words.

Verdant crap.

For what?

Silly question.

Knowledge and intelligence does not equal right.

Wrong.

Take care of your own life man. I'm sure you could use your abilities more effeciently than trying to appear superior on a message board.

Do you have any suggestions?
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #1481 on: July 07, 2007, 12:41:05 AM »

Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.
My words echo
Thus, in your mind.

-- T.S. Eliot "Four Quartets"

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #1482 on: July 12, 2007, 08:01:54 AM »

Be realistic: Plan for a miracle

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #1483 on: July 13, 2007, 12:31:39 PM »

Here's one for 'those who go on and on and on about why no CD?!'

Cease trying to work everything out with your minds, it will get you nowhere.

Live by intuition and inspiration
and let your whole life be a Relevation

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #1484 on: July 28, 2007, 08:25:23 PM »

Anyone got any good sayings or quotes about Time or Friends

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #1485 on: July 28, 2007, 11:14:15 PM »

At any moment I could start being a better person - but which moment should I choose?

TIME:

Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end;
Each changing place with that which goes before
In sequent toil all forwards do contend.
Nativity, one in the main of light,
Crawls to maturity, wherewith being crown'd
Crooked eclipses 'gainst his glory fight,
And Time doth transfix the flourish set on youth, And delves the parallels in beauty's brow,
Feeds on the rarities of nature's truth,
And nothing stands but for his scythe to mow.
And yet to times in hope my verse shall stand,
Praising they worth, despite his cruel hand.

FRIENDSHIP:

Friendship is constant in all other things,
Save in the office and affairs of love:
Therefore all hearts in love use their own tongues:
Let every eye negotiate for itself,
And trust no agent; for beauty is a witch,
Against whose charms faith melteth into blood.

(Shakespeare)

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #1486 on: July 29, 2007, 06:15:56 AM »

"the constitution is just a goddamn piece of paper" George Bush Nov 05

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
MCT
« Reply #1487 on: August 01, 2007, 08:35:36 PM »

Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.

--Leonard Cohen--
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #1488 on: August 01, 2007, 10:42:56 PM »

Today I finally got to use the quote that I've always wanted to use, in the perfect context at that.

A National Guard recruiter called my house and said Mr. B........I can get you a $15,000 sign up bonus and have all your college paid for just for a 3 year enlistement in the National Guard.  Now mind you...I served four years in the Regular Army and 4 years in the Inactive Ready Reserves so I think I've seen my fair share of national service........so I said......."really you can get me $15,000 bucks for only 3 years!!!!!" and he's like "Yes definitely and you can choose whatever job you want." 

Then it hit me.......I said, "Well I only have one thing to say to that.......Suck My Balls"  Quote the Eric Cartman.......nevermore!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
MCT
« Reply #1489 on: August 06, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »

The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.

--James Baldwin--
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1490 on: August 06, 2007, 07:15:40 PM »

want." 

Then it hit me.......I said, "Well I only have one thing to say to that.......Suck My Balls"  Quote the Eric Cartman.......nevermore!

LOL, well? What was his response? Or did you just hang the phone up after that?

MCT
« Reply #1491 on: August 06, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »

For the PUNK et al:

To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence.

--Friedrich Nietzsche--
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #1492 on: August 08, 2007, 01:47:41 AM »

want."?

Then it hit me.......I said, "Well I only have one thing to say to that.......Suck My Balls"? Quote the Eric Cartman.......nevermore!

LOL, well? What was his response? Or did you just hang the phone up after that?

Silence on his side for about 3 seconds then I giggled and hung up the phone. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #1493 on: August 08, 2007, 09:34:14 AM »

A changed thought system can reverse cause-and-effect as we have known it.

For most of us, this is a very difficult concept to accept, because of our resistance to relinquishing the predictability of our past belief system and to assuming responsibility for our thoughts, feelings and reactions.

Since we always look within before looking out, we can perceive attack outside us only when we have first accepted attack as real within.

(Be outrageous!
People who achieve mastery have the ability to be outrageous).....

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
MCT
« Reply #1494 on: August 10, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »

A rehash, just for SLC:

Cooper's gift in the way of invention was not a rich endowment; but such as it was he liked to work it, he was pleased with the effects, and indeed he did some quite sweet things with it. In his little box of stage properties he kept six or eight cunning devices, tricks, artifices for his savages and woodsmen to deceive and circumvent each other with, and he was never so happy as when he was working these innocent things and seeing them go. A favorite one was to make a moccasined person tread in the tracks of the moccasined enemy, and thus hide his own trail. Cooper wore out barrels and barrels of moccasins in working that trick. Another stage-property that he pulled out of his box pretty frequently was his broken twig. He prized his broken twig above all the rest of his effects, and worked it the hardest. It is a restful chapter in any book of his when somebody doesn't step on a dry twig and alarm all the reds and whites for two hundred yards around. Every time a Cooper person is in peril, and absolute silence is worth four dollars a minute, he is sure to step on a dry twig. There may be a hundred handier things to step on, but that wouldn't satisfy Cooper. Cooper requires him to turn out and find a dry twig; and if he can't do it, go and borrow one.

--Mark Twain/excerpt from, "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offences"--

Also:

If Cooper had been an observer his inventive faculty would have worked better; not more interestingly, but more rationally, more plausibly. Cooper's proudest creations in the way of "situations" suffer noticeably from the absence of the observer's protecting gift. Cooper's eye was splendidly inaccurate. Cooper seldom saw anything correctly. He saw nearly all things as through a glass eye, darkly. Of course a man who cannot see the commonest little every-day matters accurately is working at a disadvantage when he is constructing a "situation."
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #1495 on: August 10, 2007, 07:58:13 PM »

"Nobody can be kinder than the narcissist while you react to life in his own terms."

-Elizabeth Bowen

"Since [narcissists] deep down, feel themselves to be faultless, it is inevitable that when they are in conflict with the world they will invariably perceive the conflict as the world's fault. Since they must deny their own badness, they must perceive others as bad. They project their own evil onto the world. They never think of themselves as evil, on the other hand, they consequently see much evil in others.?

-M Scott Peck 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 08:02:19 PM by SLC's minion » Logged

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #1496 on: August 10, 2007, 08:37:47 PM »

Epictetus

" Reckon the days in which you have not been angry. I used to be angry every day; now every other day; then every third and fourth day; and if you miss it so long as thirty days, offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving to God."

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #1497 on: August 13, 2007, 01:24:43 PM »

Do we really ever have friends as good as the ones when we were twelve? I doubt it.

-Stephen King
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 01:29:10 PM by the dirt » Logged

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
MCT
« Reply #1498 on: August 13, 2007, 07:29:35 PM »

Do we really ever have friends as good as the ones when we were twelve? I doubt it.

-Stephen King

Youth being a world of whimsical fascination, muted curiosity and meagerly understood expletives, I tend to agree with the bastard.

The deepest definition of youth is life as yet untouched by tragedy.

--Alfred North Whitehead--
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #1499 on: August 13, 2007, 10:22:51 PM »

"Suck my dick"

Ron Jeremy

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 80 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: