Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [UPDATES] July 3, 2016 ? Soldier Field, Chicago
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [UPDATES] July 3, 2016 ? Soldier Field, Chicago  (Read 29026 times)
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2016, 10:18:26 AM »

People need to get over this set list change shit. At the most they might -might - rotate a song around or add in a new one. They also might get a little crazy, feel good and play an extra 30 minutes.

But they're more than likely going to stick with the status quo. There isn't going to be some massive drastic change.

This is a big time tour where they want everything exactly in place. They're not fucking around here and they're not going to play loose. They're a well oiled machine, hitting the stage at an earlier than normal hour and then getting on to the next show.

This is a different GnR than the one in the 1990s. There's a lot more at stake, in part because of what it would mean to legacies and to the critics, but - I suspect - to themselves as well.

This tour is not only going to make hundreds of millions and it's going to cost a shit ton as well, so they want to nail everything from the production, lights, timing, etc.

Going nuts and switching up things isn't going to help.

I saw the Rolling Stones three times last summer during their stadium tour. They didn't rarely and barely change the set list - as I recall - other than to play the fan "pick" that they would let folks vote on their web site.

I suppose I'm not surprised about the set list bitching, though.

"Fans" have been doing it since 2001. I also question how many of these people who complain are actually attending the shows. Or, more importantly, attending more than one show.

My two cents.

Flame me if you want.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2016, 10:34:08 AM »

Well said NattyLight... All around. The people at Mygnr are pathetic. They spend years on the site all day every and now they still cry about a set list with Coma and DTJ...or how they only sold 40 thousand seats for a show etc etc

The pyro and graphics id imagine also makes it difficult to vary the set list too much from night to night.

With that said I was a little surprised the set was identical for two nights in the same city, especially since we know there are many alternates.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:03:08 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2016, 10:43:25 AM »

Big difference between complaining and hoping.
I am hoping for some changes to set list as a fan so I can hear Slash and Axl and company perform other favorites of mine.
Back to back shows at same venue without a chance (even patience for Don't cry) surprised me.
I certainly have no complaints!

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »

A big stadium show like this does not really allow for wholesale changes.  This is pretty much the show.

But, at least to me, the difference this time is not in the setlists, but in the line-up.  These may be the same songs every night, but they are also being delivered with better vocals, backing vocals, and guitar playing than the last few tours offered.

That is what is new and different.  At least as I see it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »

People need to get over this set list change shit. At the most they might -might - rotate a song around or add in a new one. They also might get a little crazy, feel good and play an extra 30 minutes.

But they're more than likely going to stick with the status quo. There isn't going to be some massive drastic change.

This is a big time tour where they want everything exactly in place. They're not fucking around here and they're not going to play loose. They're a well oiled machine, hitting the stage at an earlier than normal hour and then getting on to the next show.

This is a different GnR than the one in the 1990s. There's a lot more at stake, in part because of what it would mean to legacies and to the critics, but - I suspect - to themselves as well.

This tour is not only going to make hundreds of millions and it's going to cost a shit ton as well, so they want to nail everything from the production, lights, timing, etc.

I saw the Rolling Stones three times last summer during their stadium tour. They didn't rarely and barely change the set list - as I recall - other than to play the fan "pick" that they would let folks vote on their web site.

"Fans" have been doing it since 2001. I also question how many of these people who complain are actually attending the shows. Or, more importantly, attending more than one show.

My two cents.

Flame me if you want.

I don't see anyone here whining, complaining or whatever you wanna call it.
Everyone is pretty happy and just hoping they play their favorite song, especially if it's on their alt list.
Also this is a fan board. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is the perfect group of people and the perfect place to discuss all the little details (including setlist) that you normally can't discuss in your daily life, since most people are not die hard fans like we are.
So just chill out. You're over-dramatizing the situation.
Yesterday
Rocker

"It seems like forever and a day....."

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »

How was the crowd on night 2? How did it sell? Set list doesn't matter just enjoy the show!

Time just fades the pages in my book of memories...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2016, 11:51:43 AM »

How was the crowd on night 2? How did it sell? Set list doesn't matter just enjoy the show!

I think the 300 and 400 levels were closed off on one side, otherwise filled up.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »

My two cents.

Flame me if you want.

Everyone is pretty happy and just hoping they play their favorite song, especially if it's on their alt list.
Also this is a fan board. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is the perfect group of people and the perfect place to discuss all the little details (including setlist) that you normally can't discuss in your daily life, since most people are not die hard fans like we are.

I don't think NaturalLight is over dramatizing. I read someone's post in the other forum who said he's not spending any money on concert tickets nor other expenses regarding the shows. Instead he's watching the concerts online. This person has been complaining about the set list. It's beyond ridiculous!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:20:18 PM by draguns » Logged
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2016, 12:36:09 PM »

A bit of speculation about setlist changes is perfectly normal and natural for us die-hards I reckon.

Making it a big issue as it seems to be in other places on the net is pretty weird! It's not like this show has been touring for years without change!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »

My two cents.

Flame me if you want.

I don't think NaturalLight is over dramatizing. I read someone's post in the other forum who said he's not spending any money on concert tickets nor other expenses regarding the shows. Instead he's watching the concerts online. This person has been complaining about the set list. It's beyond ridiculous!

Well then take it up in that forum?but complaining about someone complaining in another forum is a bit much.  No one here is really bitching about the setlist?obviously it would be cool to hear them play some other stuff but whatever.  I never thought I?d see them play anything so it?s all gravy to me, and, as someone else pointed out, Coma and DTJ?are you kidding me? 
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »

SCOM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NSTesZ5nlc

LALD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebKhzIieOJ8

OTGM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiIpisgz_2Q

NR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNPxwYBXKQ

WTTJ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMhs_-Cjo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gObB-A_XElQ

Godfather:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTmdSlXbgcI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_UGuHFUHNc (incl. SCOM)

Don't Cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPgEqHzd9Do

Sweetness is a virtue
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2016, 12:57:37 PM »

My two cents.

Flame me if you want.

Well then take it up in that forum?but complaining about someone complaining in another forum is a bit much.  No one here is really bitching about the setlist?obviously it would be cool to hear them play some other stuff but whatever.  I never thought I?d see them play anything so it?s all gravy to me, and, as someone else pointed out, Coma and DTJ?are you kidding me? 

I took it up here because it's been a problem here - on this forum. It's incessant. For years people have bitched about the set lists and lack of changes once tours start. Go through the threads specific to shows and you'll see.

I'm glad they're playing Coma and DTJ.

That's exactly the issue. They're playing those songs and people are fucking complaining and want a shake-up in the list.

You'd think that with the original core back and back playing songs that the last incarnation of GnR wouldn't touch, people would be happy.

I think the majority of the people are. But there's still a bunch of whining.
Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »

I've read through all of the show threads so far, and while I've seen a small subset of board members posting their hopes/predictions for changes in the setlist, and a much smaller subset reacting to the lack of change (though not particularly angrily or vehemently), the vast majority of posts I've seen are excited about the shows regardless of set list.

I'd call it sporadic, not incessant.

beer

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/2004
GN'R--Portland, OR--12/11/2006
GN'R--Rosemont, IL--11/15/2011
GN'R--Nashville, TN--07/09/2016
GN'R--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/2023
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »

I defy the people who complain about setlist changes to name another big act in the world right now that plays a complete different set each show.

The only one I know is Bruce Springsteen, who plays around 300 different songs each tour. But he's played with the E Street Band for more than 50 years now, they're pretty tight and comfortable.

Other than that, The Stones, U2 etc. always have a fixed setlist with minor changes each night.

That being said, I do think GNR should rotate some songs. Play Catcher or Street of Dreams instead of This I Love some nights, throw Yesterdays in, and why not Locomotive instead of Coma? It doesn't hurt to dream  hihi
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2016, 01:51:44 PM »

Is it true that Slither was listed as one of the alternates?  If so, would anyone complain if that was swapped out for Seeker?  If they bust out Slither post-encore at Metlife, I will shit myself (not really, but I'll get very fired up). 

Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »

I was at both shows, both were amazing and I don't regret either one.  To be honest though, when Paradise City started last night I decided  To beat the crowds and listen on the way out.  When Duff played Raw Power I thought - ok maybe some of those alternated make it tonight...

While not disappointed in the least, nor complaining...I am quite surprised that they played nearly an identical show night 2 in the same city with alternates on their set list. 

And for fuck sake...leave  The Seeker alone!!!!  If you want to bitch about a cover song - bitch about KOHD. 

11/17/02 Mark of the Quad Cities
11/27/06 Rosemont Horizon
2/19/2012 House of Blues Chicago
7/1/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
7/3/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
10/13/2019 Exit 111 Festival
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2016, 02:08:09 PM »

Is it true that Slither was listed as one of the alternates?  If so, would anyone complain if that was swapped out for Seeker?  If they bust out Slither post-encore at Metlife, I will shit myself (not really, but I'll get very fired up). 

Slither is listed, yes.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:10:21 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2016, 02:10:58 PM »

I was at both shows, both were amazing and I don't regret either one.  To be honest though, when Paradise City started last night I decided  To beat the crowds and listen on the way out.  When Duff played Raw Power I thought - ok maybe some of those alternated make it tonight...

While not disappointed in the least, nor complaining...I am quite surprised that they played nearly an identical show night 2 in the same city with alternates on their set list. 

And for fuck sake...leave  The Seeker alone!!!!  If you want to bitch about a cover song - bitch about KOHD. 

Or LALD
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »

Or LALD

LALD has been most excellent on this tour imo

Sweetness is a virtue
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »

Or LALD

LALD has been most excellent on this tour imo

Don't get me wrong, I like the song. But in the end, it's a cover. I know GNR made it their own, but I'd rather hear a different song, an original one (Yesterdays, Sorry, Pretty Tied Up, etc.)

But I get that this song's been a staple at GNR shows since the 90's, so I know they won't drop it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: