Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 07:15:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Coachella Set Time revealed
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coachella Set Time revealed  (Read 10075 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 09:03:57 PM »

Yeah, make sure you're there 10:30pst ON THE DOT (or maybe 5 minutes before) or you're going to miss some GNR!  Grin Grin Grin

Coachella has a HARD curfew of 1 AM.  They'll be on time, or they'll get cut off by 1:30 (and maybe before that).

Other bands (when the hard curfew was midnight) were cut off about 12:15 or 12:30 (only Paul McCartney got away with going super long, and..well...who's pulling his plug?).  When they got the curfew moved to 1 AM, the festival organizers promised hard enforcement of that curfew.
The Cure in 2009 also went way over and continued playing acoustic after they got their power cut.

They went 30 mn over (which to me, isnt WAY over), tried to play acoustic, and had the lights turned out on them.

That cost coachella about 40k in fines.

The year they got the curfew pushed an hour later, they said 1 am was going to be enforced HARD.

I thought the fine is to the band that breaks curfew?

Idk what their contract with the artists say, but Coachella is ultimately responsible for paying the fines, not the artist. In other words, Coachella is the one fined. They might cover the fine out of the artists psy, if thats provided for in their contract.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »

Yeah, make sure you're there 10:30pst ON THE DOT (or maybe 5 minutes before) or you're going to miss some GNR!  Grin Grin Grin

Coachella has a HARD curfew of 1 AM.  They'll be on time, or they'll get cut off by 1:30 (and maybe before that).

Other bands (when the hard curfew was midnight) were cut off about 12:15 or 12:30 (only Paul McCartney got away with going super long, and..well...who's pulling his plug?).  When they got the curfew moved to 1 AM, the festival organizers promised hard enforcement of that curfew.
The Cure in 2009 also went way over and continued playing acoustic after they got their power cut.

They went 30 mn over (which to me, isnt WAY over), tried to play acoustic, and had the lights turned out on them.

That cost coachella about 40k in fines.

The year they got the curfew pushed an hour later, they said 1 am was going to be enforced HARD.

I thought the fine is to the band that breaks curfew?

Idk what their contract with the artists say, but Coachella is ultimately responsible for paying the fines, not the artist. In other words, Coachella is the one fined. They might cover the fine out of the artists psy, if thats provided for in their contract.
I see, i know in a normal concert setting it is the band that has to pay it if they go over.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 06:35:02 AM »

I see, i know in a normal concert setting it is the band that has to pay it if they go over.

Sort of.

It's actually the promoter (who tends to be easier to find and collect from) who the venue goes after for the fees. That's boilerplate language. The promoters are responsible for actually PAYING the venue, who then pays whatever portion of that belongs to the municipality (which is often where the curfew resides, but not always). The promoter usually (but not always) has curfew exceptions built into the artist contract.  If the contract states the artist is responsible for "overtime" fees, then that's who gets sued, even though technically it's funneling through the promoter, to the venue, to the municipality.

Festivals might be different in terms of artist contracts, given how MANY of them are on the bill. I don't know. Just no experience on that end. Considering how many acts go before you, if I'm the "closer" especially...they could have more effect on when you can go on than you'd want to be held financially responsible for, as an artist.  In other words, if the 6 bands before you are allowed to go long, or go on late, by the festival...why should you be held responsible for curfew fees if the show goes over?  Given how tight a reign the festival organizers have on the main stage progression....it might very well be they don't pass on the curfew costs to the artists. Again, I don't know for sure.

Ex: In New Haven (when the Coliseum was not a parking lot, but an actual venue), the curfew was 1 AM (better than Hartford's midnight, at the time).  That was both a LAW in town, and it was set by the venue.  If an artist went over, about 50% of the overage charges covered the fines from the town, and about 50% covered the "fines" from the venue.  The entire amount was written into the contract with the promoter.  The venue (The Coliseum) would collect it from the promoter, and give unto the City of New Haven what was New Haven's, and give unto The Coliseum what was the Coliseum's.

Having talked with many promoters, whether the ARTIST had those fines passed on to them was a case by case basis.  USUALLY, they were passed on.  But the bigger, and more dependable, the artists....the less likely the promoter would be to pass those costs on.

I will tell you this interesting factiod: WWF (now WWE) ran hundreds of shows in New Haven.  They were the only  entertainment"act", to my knowledge, who did not have an overage fee put into their contracts (besides sporting events....no curfews allowed due to OT rules). I mean..the monster truck events even had the overages language in them.  Maybe because WWF were "sports entertainment" so wanted to get some of the same language as sporting events? I don't know...but I found it very interesting at the time.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:45:15 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 07:12:12 AM »

so what exactly is 22:30PST? that means 23:30PDT? or is it already 22:30 daily-saving time? I'm confused. it should be CEST-9 hours, right? that is sunday 7:30 CEST?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 07:40:38 AM »

so what exactly is 22:30PST? that means 23:30PDT? or is it already 22:30 daily-saving time? I'm confused. it should be CEST-9 hours, right? that is sunday 7:30 CEST?

They mean 10:30 PM local time (aka Time they will go on stage at Coachella). That's going to be GMT-7, or CEST-9.  So, yes, Sunday abut 7:30 AM for you.

About 1:30 AM Eastern US time.

All that ASSUMING they actually stream their performance.

Together again,
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 09:36:53 AM »

Allows the workers to finish at a reasonable time (as per their contracts, no doubt).  Why should some guy working in security or on the bar have to work until 3am or whatever because a band can't be bothered going on at the right time?

Yeah, surely. But also, is the US one of these countries where you don't get paid for the actual hours worked but what was contracted? In many festivals elsewhere if you must work until 3am you get paid for that as well.

In any case I see the need for a curfew now as otherwise it could and would just get out of hands.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 09:56:15 AM »

Allows the workers to finish at a reasonable time (as per their contracts, no doubt).  Why should some guy working in security or on the bar have to work until 3am or whatever because a band can't be bothered going on at the right time?

Yeah, surely. But also, is the US one of these countries where you don't get paid for the actual hours worked but what was contracted? In many festivals elsewhere if you must work until 3am you get paid for that as well.

In any case I see the need for a curfew now as otherwise it could and would just get out of hands.

Uhhh...both?

In the case we're talking about, most workers are probably in hourly positions, and thus would get paid (and potentially get paid overtime....or 1.5 times your rate of pay) for the hours worked.

There are surely salaried (contracted) employees involved at all levels, too. But they would typically be management or supervisory positions. Not always, but usually.

Together again,
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »

Found these two around. Not sure if they were posted. Feel free to delete or move if so.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/11/coachella-2016-livestream-youtube/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwhkVpwKn4

"...It don't really matter..."
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »

If I was working some minimum wage gig at a festival, and had a wife and kids waiting for me at home, I would be pretty pissed off if I had to stay at work until three or four in the morning without advance notice because some arsehole millionaire couldn't be arsed sticking to a schedule like everyone else has to.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »

If I was working some minimum wage gig at a festival, and had a wife and kids waiting for me at home, I would be pretty pissed off if I had to stay at work until three or four in the morning without advance notice because some arsehole millionaire couldn't be arsed sticking to a schedule like everyone else has to.

Meh.

I would say that, if I were working at a music festival...sort of one of the professional hazards you have to accept going in might be that things go late.  I can tell you that's the expectation at many (most?) venues from the folks that work there.  If you're working a basketball game, or a hockey game, or a baseball game or whatever....you never know how late it's going to go.  Concerts aren't much different.

Does it suck? Sure.  Most people don't like working later than expected, even if you're getting paid for it. But, it's not like it's totally out of left field.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 01:47:34 PM »

No streaming schedule yet? It should be released today with the festival starting tomorrow right?
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »

It's completely unprofessional.  And as you say, a total dick move for the people that have to work it.

Since that was one of Slash's major beefs specifically laid out in the book, I think that's likely been addressed.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »

No streaming schedule yet? It should be released today with the festival starting tomorrow right?

Yeah, late today (think 9 or 10 PM) or very early tomorrow.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »

Oh ok, i wasn't sure what time they typically release it. I hope GNR is on it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »

Oh ok, i wasn't sure what time they typically release it. I hope GNR is on it.

FYI: My times are east coast US estimates.  I think last year it was like 9 PM (I was hoping for AC/DC) on Thursday, or 6PM out there in Cali.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »

Ok so that'd be maybe around 8 pm here in Texas.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »

If you're working a basketball game, or a hockey game, or a baseball game or whatever....you never know how late it's going to go.  Concerts aren't much different.

Does it suck? Sure.  Most people don't like working later than expected, even if you're getting paid for it. But, it's not like it's totally out of left field.

That is so weird and uncool about the US. In civilised countries the games actually start on the second they are supposed to. Try watching any major professional sports in America and the game never starts at the time the ticket says. Never.

I can understand that rock stars are cool and they do what they want to but sports should start on time. Then you would also know when it finishes.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »

If you're working a basketball game, or a hockey game, or a baseball game or whatever....you never know how late it's going to go.  Concerts aren't much different.

That is so weird and uncool about the US. In civilised countries the games actually start on the second they are supposed to. Try watching any major professional sports in America and the game never starts at the time the ticket says. Never.

I can understand that rock stars are cool and they do what they want to but sports should start on time. Then you would also know when it finishes.

Baseball games START about 7 minutes passed the hour, i.e., 1 PM game first pitch is at 1:07
Football games START about 3-5 minutes passed the hour, i.e., 1 PM game kick-off is at 1:05
Hockey games START usually right on the scheduled game time, i.e., 1 PM game puck drop is at 1
Basketball games START about 10 minutes passed the hour, i.e., 1 PM game tip-off is at 1:10

Except for baseball, game ends are dependent on official stoppages similar to extra minutes added at the end of a soccer game.
Baseball, Football, Hockey, Basketball can all go long if overtime is involved.

As pilferk pointed out, if things go past any perceived/expected ending time, it's much the same (sucky) deal for people working at concerts/games.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »

Baseball games START about 7 minutes passed the hour, i.e., 1 PM game first pitch is at 1:07
Football games START about 3-5 minutes passed the hour, i.e., 1 PM game kick-off is at 1:05
Hockey games START usually right on the scheduled game time, i.e., 1 PM game puck drop is at 1
Basketball games START about 10 minutes passed the hour, i.e., 1 PM game tip-off is at 1:10

Except for baseball, game ends are dependent on official stoppages similar to extra minutes added at the end of a soccer game.

As pilferk pointed out, if things go past any perceived/expected ending time, it's much the same (sucky) deal for people working at concerts/games.

And to add...baseball isn't timed at all. You can have a 2 hour and 30 min game or a 3 hour and 45 min game...both lasting 9 innings.  You just don't know.

Together again,
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2016, 05:13:09 PM »

And to add...baseball isn't timed at all. You can have a 2 hour and 30 min game or a 3 hour and 45 min game...both lasting 9 innings.  You just don't know.

Exactly, and people involved on the business and employment areas of this are well aware of it, it's what you would term an "occupational hazard" of sorts.  Wink

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: