Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:09:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  From Las Vegas to summer tour to....what's next?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From Las Vegas to summer tour to....what's next?  (Read 21753 times)
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:16 PM »

Wasn't the album from the 90s the one that Axl said sounded too old? And he said that way back then. Back when they just tried to do an old fashioned guns album again, I think it was. So I think the people wanting another uyi or afd are out of luck. I don't think he liked vr too much, something along the lines of "im with the public on that one.", although I've never been quite clear on what that comment meant. So I don't see something like that being released either.

I think Axl is still mostly in charge, percentage wise, over the creative direction (and other aspects) of the band. I know people don't like to see it this way, but I think he still holds most of the power and don't see him relinquishing it after working so hard without Slash and Duff's help to keep the band alive all those years. MSL, who may or may not know what he's talking about, said Slash now has worse terms as far as his contract goes than what Axl offered him (and he obviously turned down) back when the breakup was fresh. I have no way to know if that's true, but it's one possibility.

Wanting a new album to appear quickly is maybe a little unrealistic, as is the idea of ax scrapping the songs he worked his ass off and fought so hard to complete. On the other hand, I don't think CD2 can be released as it is now that the regrouping has occurred. I don't think it would make much sense commercially and see the record company fighting it tooth and nail.

So the most realistic option seems to be a reworking of CD2. Who knows, maybe that was even part of the deal for Ax to ok the regrouping, since as Richard said before, all he cares about is the music and he won't reunite just for money.

My bet is, setting aside a gh release which seems likely, we will end up with either a reworked CD2 within the next couple years, or a whole new album after a long time, at least 2 or 3 years. And I'm leaning towards a reworked CD2 being the most likely outcome. All just speculation from the mind of a nobody like me of course.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:03:28 AM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2016, 12:12:33 AM »

I think Axl is still mostly in charge, percentage wise, over the creative direction (and other aspects) of the band. I know people don't like to see it this way, but I think he still holds most of the power and don't see him relinquishing it after working so hard without Slash and Duff's help to keep the band alive all those years. MSL, who may or may not know what he's talking about, said Slash now has worse terms as far as his contract goes than what Axl offered him (and he obviously turned down) back when the breakup was fresh. I have no way to know if that's true, but it's one possibility.

In terms of ownership stake in the band, that, I could see him not getting back.

But Slash and Duff have to be getting decent per night guarantees for each show.  You are only able to play these venues and charge these prices because of their inclusion.  They have to see some of that.  And Duff is no idiot when it comes to this stuff, not these days.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2016, 12:14:25 AM »

Yes, I agree.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2016, 12:21:19 AM »

and, I am willing to bet, the next song released by Gnr will be a CD era song redone by the current band.
Hopefully not Atlas Shrugged. That would make MSL too happy. hihi

You are missing my point completely man. Those songs were written with other guitarists and Stinson. It was with other people. Little different.

Don't Cry, The Garden, YCBM, November Rain etc... were with the same people besides Adler when they did them finally.

This is different.
Richard, Dizzy and Axl wrote songs and are still in the band. You're also missing the point.

Well Dizzy doesn't really write songs... so that's out.. and Axl is the only original member... Richard works...

But you're tlaking 2 songwriting players... compared to the 4 in old gnr.

still you missed

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2016, 09:45:44 AM »

Well, there you go again showing your ignorance. Dizzy has 7 songwriting credits on the 15 songs that the modern lineup officially released. CITR, SOD, TWAT, CD, OMG, Riad, IRS.....as usual with you, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Angry
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:47:24 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »

My bet is, setting aside a gh release which seems likely, we will end up with either a reworked CD2 within the next couple years, or a whole new album after a long time, at least 2 or 3 years. And I'm leaning towards a reworked CD2 being the most likely outcome. All just speculation from the mind of a nobody like me of course.
It could be a mix of those two. And it's not unlikely that Slash and Duff already began to rework some of CD2 stuff back in 2015. I don't think Richard would be working and talking about the new albu, with both Axl and Pitman posting pictures of a soundboard in a studio, if it wasn't something already with Slash in mind or already in the camp.

Well Dizzy doesn't really write songs... so that's out.. and Axl is the only original member... Richard works...

But you're tlaking 2 songwriting players... compared to the 4 in old gnr.

still you missed
Dizzy co-wrote songs like Street of Dreams, IRS, TWAT, Oh My God and Silkworms, and everything suggests that he wrote many more for the follow up. Richard is said to have write several songs for CD II too. Maybe even Frank did something. I'm not sure whats your point on them not being "original members", that's not relevant to the discussion about writing and rework in new material.

So yeah, half of the current band could have songwriting credits in some of those CD era songs. I don't see how it could be that far fetched to have Slash and Duff working on those in the same way they worked in Anything Goes, Shadow of your Love and Back off Bitch before.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2016, 12:39:33 PM »

Whoa whoa... everyone just chill out. I'm well aware of who wrote what songs. It's very easy to look up on the internet or in the booklets...

I'm just saying I wouldn't want Slash and Duff to mess with the CD era songs, in ALBUM form. That isn't their songs man, if they are complete as Axl has stated... then release it in it's completed state. Don't go back with Slash and Duff and fuck around with that album.

Start fresh.

The argument was that Garden, Rain, YCMB, DC etc were done way before then reworked...

That makes 0 sense as they were written and performed and "reworked" by the same people that wrote them. Slash and Duff had 0 to do with CD songs. Leave them be.

And as for Reed... he wrote lyrics for 3 songs... and was a collaborator. (With 2 others on each)

As far as music goes... he "helped" write the music direction for 6 songs. And was a part of 4 or more people in all of them. He wasn't a main person in the writing. He wrote some songs, and I love Dizzy. Just don't act like he wrote everything they did lol

When I was speaking or "writing" songs. I was talking about the lyrics. I should had specified. So he's got 3 songwriting credits on CD, and I don't think he wrote any lyrics for OMG.

He just doesn't really write any lyrics. That is kinda what I meant, musically yes he's very involved.

But don't damn me
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »

again...WRONG...according to ASCAP (which is where you get official legal credit, Dizzy co-wrote 7 of the 15 modern lineup songs. Nobody is going to chill out with you because your agenda is clear..... at least know what you are talking about. And how many Gnr songs has Slash written lyrics to?

https://www.ascap.com/Home/ace-title-search/index.aspx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:22:08 PM by sky dog » Logged

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »

again...WRONG...according to ASCAP (which is where you get official legal credit, Dizzy co-wrote 7 of the 15 modern lineup songs. Nobody is going to chill out with you because your agenda is clear..... at least know what you are talking about. Any how many Gnr songs has Slash written lyrics to?

https://www.ascap.com/Home/ace-title-search/index.aspx

LoL... I was going by what the inside booklet of Chinese Democracy says...

and that says 3 songs. So it is what it is. I love DIzzy Reed.

But don't damn me
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2016, 01:23:53 PM »

well, the booklet is filled with a ton of errors.  Wink

I personally don't give a shit who writes what. I just want a new Guns N' Roses song....that is my agenda.

Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »

Not a chance of a new album this is a smash and grab tour ,most reunions are a tour and greatest hits ,how long did it take Axl to release CD? 14 years and nothing in 8 years since, even though he had a band who went along with the party line "oh yeah we're recording new material ,it should be out soon" and everyone swallowed the bs.I can't see Slash and Duff wanting to play CD leftovers that weren't good enough for the album ,unless Izzy comes back in the chance of a new album are extremely remote,and how likely is it that the reunion is permanent.I'll give it 2 years max.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »

well, the booklet is filled with a ton of errors.  Wink

I personally don't give a shit who writes what. I just want a new Guns N' Roses song....that is my agenda.

Yeah tryhard I don't care too much about it. I want new music too. And my fault for the CD booklet having so many errors I guess...  Roll Eyes

I don't prefer new music that has already been recorded by Nu Gn'R members. Why have Slash and Duff go over those parts? If the song is done, release it.

Start fresh. I'm cool with demos being redone, but that isn't the point. CD II is ready right? And has been? That is my agenda...  ok

But don't damn me
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »

Not a chance of a new album this is a smash and grab tour ,most reunions are a tour and greatest hits ,how long did it take Axl to release CD? 14 years and nothing in 8 years since, even though he had a band who went along with the party line "oh yeah we're recording new material ,it should be out soon" and everyone swallowed the bs.I can't see Slash and Duff wanting to play CD leftovers that weren't good enough for the album ,unless Izzy comes back in the chance of a new album are extremely remote,and how likely is it that the reunion is permanent.I'll give it 2 years max.

Hope that's not true but odds are that's the case

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »

This thing is amazing and must be kept going. We have to have a video ? even if from one of these first three shows ?, we need interviews, shows, and a promise of some new music, whether with Izzy or not. It all looks great so far.

Hell has frozen over.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »

They have an open canvas. They kept 2 members from Nu Gn'R, and added 2 members from Old Gn'R.

This is just awesome. They can do anything. Interviews... press release... Best Of (ppppp lease) new album etc

The sky is the limit, and the buzz is here. Great times.

But don't damn me
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2016, 01:58:12 PM »

I think there's some confusion in this thread as to "songwriting credits".

Reed didn't write any lyrics to any GN'R song, the songs he's credited on he has helped write the music.

In the CD booklet it says "Lyrics and melodies by Axl Rose". He wrote all the lyrics.

You get a songwriting credit for either writing the lyrics, melody or the basic structure chord progression. That's the normal way of doing it.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »

I think I see this differently than a lot of you.  I don't see it as much a case of who wrote what as I see vastly different styles being the issue.

Very little of CD sounds like true Guns N' Roses.  And Axl said the stuff that was left was even further off that path.  Right?

Isn't that a bigger problem than who actually wrote it back in 2001 or whenever?  Slash and Duff aren't going to be terribly interested in adding tweaks to songs done in a style completely incongruent with that they have been doing for years.

No?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »

In terms of ownership stake in the band, that, I could see him not getting back.

But Slash and Duff have to be getting decent per night guarantees for each show.  You are only able to play these venues and charge these prices because of their inclusion.  They have to see some of that.  And Duff is no idiot when it comes to this stuff, not these days.

Axl owns the name.  That's it.....  The name

There is a lot of pull when it comes to owning the name.

However...

I think a lot of this deal is the likes of there pre 1995 partnership.   Things like the classic logos being used for merch are sorta proof of this

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »

I would also think

The big 3 are spitting the pay day pretty equally and all other players in the band are on some sorta pay per show deal...
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »

I think there's some confusion in this thread as to "songwriting credits".

Reed didn't write any lyrics to any GN'R song, the songs he's credited on he has helped write the music.

In the CD booklet it says "Lyrics and melodies by Axl Rose". He wrote all the lyrics.

You get a songwriting credit for either writing the lyrics, melody or the basic structure chord progression. That's the normal way of doing it.

When I stated that Reed hasn't wrote anything really this is what I was meaning... and I was jumped by it lol

But don't damn me
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: