Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  From Las Vegas to summer tour to....what's next?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: From Las Vegas to summer tour to....what's next?  (Read 21683 times)
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »

Now would be the right time to produce the biopic movie. There is no better way to mythologize and memorialize an artist than a biopic movie. It cements and magnifies the legacy.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »

I think I see this differently than a lot of you.  I don't see it as much a case of who wrote what as I see vastly different styles being the issue.

Very little of CD sounds like true Guns N' Roses.  And Axl said the stuff that was left was even further off that path.  Right?

Isn't that a bigger problem than who actually wrote it back in 2001 or whenever?  Slash and Duff aren't going to be terribly interested in adding tweaks to songs done in a style completely incongruent with that they have been doing for years.

No?

Right. That was my entire point, before someone hijacked it...

Slash and Duff probably aren't interested in adding to already completed songs or reworking them. They probably want to just write new stuff.

The point is moot of Don't Cry and YCBM being reworked. They were reworked by the same people that wrote them...

and songwriting to me is "lyrics" that is what I was referring to. Obviously everyone that plays in a song kinda has some sort of hand in it.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »

and songwriting to me is "lyrics"

If you only count lyrics, it's not really songwriting, it's poetry.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »

I myself count it as that, but yeah technically it would be that maybe. It's quite subjective.

Writing music is usually a collective thing. Someone usally has a larger hand in a song or whatever, but no 1 person is ever telling someone to play this part this way the whole song.

It's mostly a collective thing, that is why I don't group it together in my head. 5 guys play a song, and 1 person wrote it? I don't buy that kinda thinking very much.

It might be 1 person's idea or structure, but they all play it, and not 100% of it is 1 person. Someone is bound to chime in with this progression, or drop here.. or this or that etc.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »

I myself count it as that, but yeah technically it would be that maybe. It's quite subjective.

Writing music is usually a collective thing. Someone usally has a larger hand in a song or whatever, but no 1 person is ever telling someone to play this part this way the whole song.

It's mostly a collective thing, that is why I don't group it together in my head. 5 guys play a song, and 1 person wrote it? I don't buy that kinda thinking very much.

It might be 1 person's idea or structure, but they all play it, and not 100% of it is 1 person. Someone is bound to chime in with this progression, or drop here.. or this or that etc.

I like this.  A song without music is just poetry.  That's perfect

A song writer is someone who writes the lyrics or melody (music)

I am not to concered with random guitar solos in songs.   These can be usually interchanged.    Especially in Guns!   Just look recently.

One thing that usually never changes though is a songs lyrics or melody.   
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »

And let's not forget at Rock In Rio III, Axl said Dizzy and Chris wrote SilkWorms. It's different, but I love that song. I'm still hoping for a finished, studio version of it.

As far as the "old" stuff, I guess the keyword is rework, not add too.  But I think we'll get a remastered copy of AFD first , since next year is 30 years. Would be cool if there is a new song or two on there as well, though I think traditionally, Remasters don't have new material, save for old demos.

What I would love to have is a studio version of the reworked CD songs. I loved the live intro to Scraped. Would be cool to have Better and This I Love with the new solos and intos as well. (Maybe save those for the 10 year remastered version of Chinese Democracy LOL).

Random, I love Slash's take on the Jungle Intro. Sounds so badass!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2016, 02:32:12 PM »

The final outcome for a song is certainly the effort of the whole band and the songwriter doesn't need to write the drum parts, bass line, guitar solos etc.

The band needs a starting point to work out a song, and that's where the songwriter(s) will have worked out the chord progression throughout the song, along with the lyrics and melody.

The rest of the band needs that starting point to work out how they will play their own parts in the song. They certainly wrote their own parts, but they didn't write the song.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »

I think I see this differently than a lot of you.  I don't see it as much a case of who wrote what as I see vastly different styles being the issue.

Very little of CD sounds like true Guns N' Roses.  And Axl said the stuff that was left was even further off that path.  Right?

Isn't that a bigger problem than who actually wrote it back in 2001 or whenever?  Slash and Duff aren't going to be terribly interested in adding tweaks to songs done in a style completely incongruent with that they have been doing for years.

No?

Exactly!
I hope they do release new material, but to do so they must figure out their creative differences. As I said before, I think it's much more likely that Axl wants to "go back" to their roots, than Slash and Duff doing something like CD.
Both sides have to make concessions to make it happen, so yes, maybe, if they do release new material, we will get something from Axl's archive. But I don't think it would be as interesting as having them write new songs together, especially because Slash and Duff would probably have some trouble relating to that kind of material. So yes, it can happen as part of a gentlemans agreement, but I find it very hard to believe that reworking these songs from 15 years ago, that someone else wrote, is what artistically they want to do.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2016, 03:37:51 PM »

They are playing reworked versions of CD era songs now. They may be much more open to working with vault material than you think.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:39:46 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »

I'm not that surprised. I have expected it. The CD era is very important for Axl and I don't think that he would ignore the songs at a tour. Slash and Duff seem to enjoy playing these songs live.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »

They are playing reworked versions of CD era songs now. They may be much more open to it than you think. I personally am suprised they played any CD material.
Yeah, I think that alone says they'd be open to working on material that already exists. If they weren't I'd think they'd also have a problem playing CD songs live, which they obviously don't. CD is not THAT far removed from previous GNR albums, especially if Slash adds his input to the songs. I'd be very surprised if they had any issues working on any pre-existing material.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2016, 03:44:38 PM »

I think all it would take for unreleased CD era music to sound like classic Guns would be for Slash to add his contribution to them.  I mean, when it's said that CD doesn't sound like Guns, is it anything more than saying that the guitars don't sound like Slash?  So have Slash re-work the guitar parts on the songs that are otherwise ready to be released, then boom, done, new album.  
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »

I think all it would take for unreleased CD era music to sound like classic Guns would be for Slash to add his contribution to them.  I mean, when it's said that CD doesn't sound like Guns, is it anything more than saying that the guitars don't sound like Slash?  So have Slash re-work the guitar parts on the songs that are otherwise ready to be released, then boom, done, new album.  

Exactly. I've seen so many people comment on how much more they like CD, Better, and TIL because of Slash's contributions live. Granted a fair number of people do prefer the album versions. But all of a sudden, those songs are more acceptable and more mainstream because of one man. If they reworked the CD leftovers, it would be viewed by most as a new album by Axl, Slash, Duff, etc. not as an album of old material that they just reworked. It's even easier to view it that way because we haven't heard any versions of the songs. So if the first version we hear has an epic solo by Slash, are we really going to care that the song was worked on for the last decade or so? I'd hope not.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2016, 04:02:31 PM »

They are playing reworked versions of CD era songs now. They may be much more open to it than you think. I personally am suprised they played any CD material.
Yeah, I think that alone says they'd be open to working on material that already exists. If they weren't I'd think they'd also have a problem playing CD songs live, which they obviously don't. CD is not THAT far removed from previous GNR albums, especially if Slash adds his input to the songs. I'd be very surprised if they had any issues working on any pre-existing material.

There is a huge difference between playing songs live that have been written by other people.  And releasing an album, that is largely written by other musicians   

I can not see Duff or Slash committing to release a full album of CD era songs, with just them playing some solos or something else over top.

There is way to much money to be made off an official guns album featuring Slash Duff and Axl

I do see however a compromise   

Where possibly half an album is vault stuff with Duff and Slash playing over top of it.  Then the second half of the album fresh songs all written by the current band members
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2016, 04:11:44 PM »

There is a huge difference between playing songs live that have been written by other people.  And releasing an album, that is largely written by other musicians   

I can not see Duff or Slash committing to release a full album of CD era songs, with just them playing some solos or something else over top.

There is way to much money to be made off an official guns album featuring Slash Duff and Axl

Where possibly half an album is vault stuff with Duff and Slash playing over top of it.  Then the second half of the album fresh songs all written by the current band members
I'm not really talking about Slash replicating what Robin or Buckethead did. More along the lines where Axl goes to Slash with a song and sees what he can come up with. He'd be writing his own parts. To think these guys are going to live together in an LA apartment and write an album from scratch, well that ain't happening. Slash probably has song ideas himself, so it certainly could work both ways. I'm not necessarily saying that Axl had a complete CD ready to release and Slash will simply put the finishing touches on them. I'm saying, I don't see why Slash and Duff would be opposed to hearing what Axl has and if they can do something with it.

Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2016, 04:21:16 PM »

They are playing reworked versions of CD era songs now. They may be much more open to working with vault material than you think.

Slash playing CD songs live is completely different than him recording songs that he probably doesn't relate to. Let's not forget that one of the reasons they went separate ways was their different visions for GNR. CD is completely different from the previous albums, but I know I'm probably the minority here.
Playing CD was part of their agreement to do this tour. If they did not play it live, Axl would be disregarding everything he's done for the last decades. He would never do that.
And again I never said Slash and Duff won't do it, I just don't believe they're willing to rework this songs instesd of writing new ones. But someone has to make concessions.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »

I'm not really talking about Slash replicating what Robin or Buckethead did. More along the lines where Axl goes to Slash with a song and sees what he can come up with. He'd be writing his own parts. To think these guys are going to live together in an LA apartment and write an album from scratch, well that ain't happening. Slash probably has song ideas himself, so it certainly could work both ways. I'm not necessarily saying that Axl had a complete CD ready to release and Slash will simply put the finishing touches on them. I'm saying, I don't see why Slash and Duff would be opposed to hearing what Axl has and if they can do something with it.

I am just thinking all the songs in this CD era vault are already written.   If Axl came to Slash and said, can you put a solo on this song.   There is no real money in it for Slash, as there would be in co-writing a song

Big difference in writing a song and writing a part in a song
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »

I think this is the most probable scenario right now if they do have concrete plans. I think a lot of people here are taking the black or white approach to those things. To me it's clearly not the case because we already see Slash and Duff willing to contribute to a reworked version of CD songs. This is a pretty big deal and should not be taken for granted.

Also, keep in mind that they still could release an EP anytime with two new new songs written by Axl, Slash, Duff and the other guys, and more two or three songs written by CD era guys. This is interesting because they can chose to:

- Work on songs written by former members, like Paul Tobias, Robin, Bucket, Pitman and Tommy. They could add just their layers (and Slash the solos), but essentially the arrangement would still follow the same backbone, like what Bumblefoot did with Catcher in the Rye;

- Work on songs written by current members like Axl, Richard and Frank. Those songs could be taken with a different approach, maybe more freedom to rearrange it? I don't know, I just think they would be more comfortable with it.

There is also the possibility to get old demos from early 90s and work on it again. It would still be Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy effort, just in a finished version with Richard and Frank on it. Like Richard already said, there were songs being worked as late as 2015 that dated from early 90s when Slash was still in the band. So it's really likely that, much like This I Love, some of the oldest tracks dated before the CD. Which means, Slash and Duff could just finish what they started 20 years ago.

I just don't think it's the moment to release anything with the GNR brand on it that doesn't represent the current formation. Not because I wouldn't like it, but because it would make more sense to get on the "regrouping" hype and overall positive response from a business point of view.

Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »

I think this is the most probable scenario right now if they do have concrete plans. I think a lot of people here are taking the black or white approach to those things. To me it's clearly not the case because we already see Slash and Duff willing to contribute to a reworked version of CD songs. This is a pretty big deal and should not be taken for granted.

Also, keep in mind that they still could release an EP anytime with two new new songs written by Axl, Slash, Duff and the other guys, and more two or three songs written by CD era guys. This is interesting because they can chose to:

- Work on songs written by former members, like Paul Tobias, Robin, Bucket, Pitman and Tommy. They could add just their layers (and Slash the solos), but essentially the arrangement would still follow the same backbone, like what Bumblefoot did with Catcher in the Rye;

- Work on songs written by current members like Axl, Richard and Frank. Those songs could be taken with a different approach, maybe more freedom to rearrange it? I don't know, I just think they would be more comfortable with it.

There is also the possibility to get old demos from early 90s and work on it again. It would still be Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy effort, just in a finished version with Richard and Frank on it. Like Richard already said, there were songs being worked as late as 2015 that dated from early 90s when Slash was still in the band. So it's really likely that, much like This I Love, some of the oldest tracks dated before the CD. Which means, Slash and Duff could just finish what they started 20 years ago.

I just don't think it's the moment to release anything with the GNR brand on it that doesn't represent the current formation. Not because I wouldn't like it, but because it would make more sense to get on the "regrouping" hype and overall positive response from a business point of view.

I can totaly see them bringing their ideas and doing something new with what they already have (that's what I think it's gonna happen if they decide to release a new album), but I don't see it, as some people suggested, if the CD2 songs are finished, that they would just add some parts, play a few solos and that's it.
But still I would much prefer if they started from scratch.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2016, 05:12:25 PM »

What "regrouping" are we on now?

Too funny...until proven differently, I see no reason to think this "regrouping" is any different than any other "regrouping" since Izzy left in November 1991. The chances of us getting new music "soon" are dicey at best. Of course, I hope I am wrong.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:26:52 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: