Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:27:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl voice 4/9/16
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl voice 4/9/16  (Read 13930 times)
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:54:02 PM »

I believe with Slash and Duff coming back Axl decided to himself that he didn't want to be the weakest link and started taking care of himself. Healthy diet and lifestyle led to the return of his voice
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 04:15:36 PM »

4Ever... Good Voice

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »

I know Axl was sitting down for the Vegas shows, but you could see it at the Troubadour show as well, he doesn't get winded easily now. There were parts of certain vocally demanding songs were he before had to cut short words in order to grab some air before the next line, I haven't seen much of that in these shows.

I think he's up for the task, breaking out which ever song he wants to do now. Maybe Don't Damn Me even, although I think he considered that one too hard to sing even back in the day. That must have been the reason they never played it, right?

There's no way Don't Damn Me is hard to sing. It's mostly in low to mid register with only one high pitch bit in the middle. I sing along to it fine and I'm no Axl Rose. You Could Be Mine would be more difficult I reckon. Anyway I want the guys to play this fucking song. Axl shouldn't find any song hard to sing, particularly one he wrote and recorded himself

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »

Axl shouldn't find any song hard to sing, particularly one he wrote and recorded himself

The guy is in his mid 50's and has been screaming into a microphone for 30 years. Don't be naive.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »

I know Axl was sitting down for the Vegas shows, but you could see it at the Troubadour show as well, he doesn't get winded easily now. There were parts of certain vocally demanding songs were he before had to cut short words in order to grab some air before the next line, I haven't seen much of that in these shows.
The Troubadour was a small stage, tho.

Axl shouldn't find any song hard to sing, particularly one he wrote and recorded himself
The guy is in his mid 50's and has been screaming into a microphone for 30 years. Don't be naive.
Yeah. Also, one thing is to record a song the way you want, with possibility to have multiple takes and overdubs. Live is another thing.

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 06:06:10 PM »

After hearing him sing last weekend I know he can sing that song no problem

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 06:10:55 PM »

There's no retakes or over dubs here on this demo version and it sounds fine. It's not a hard song for Axl to sing and I hope he fuckin proves me right on this tour!!!
http://youtu.be/COG1KV6acNU

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »

There's no retakes or over dubs here on this demo version and it sounds fine. It's not a hard song for Axl to sing and I hope he fuckin proves me right on this tour!!!
This is still a studio recording, just with another take(s). The problem is the limited time to breath. In a live environment, after god knows how many songs and after having been running around, you really think it's the same thing?

I love the song and I really would love to see them playing it live. And thanks, its been a long time since I heard this one.

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 08:47:31 AM »

This is still a studio recording, just with another take(s). The problem is the limited time to breath. In a live environment, after god knows how many songs and after having been running around, you really think it's the same thing?

I love the song and I really would love to see them playing it live. And thanks, its been a long time since I heard this one.

I still think he can do it. If he can pull off Coma's ending then he can do it. I think it'll happen and if it did sound shit at least he can finish with..."Alright..that sucked!!!"

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »

There's no way Don't Damn Me is hard to sing. It's mostly in low to mid register with only one high pitch bit in the middle. I sing along to it fine and I'm no Axl Rose. You Could Be Mine would be more difficult I reckon. Anyway I want the guys to play this fucking song. Axl shouldn't find any song hard to sing, particularly one he wrote and recorded himself

It's very hard to sing.  Lot of lyrics spit out in rapid fire fashion. 

It's the same reason you are highly unlikely to ever hear 'Perfect Crime' again.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »

I still think he can do it. If he can pull off Coma's ending then he can do it. I think it'll happen and if it did sound shit at least he can finish with..."Alright..that sucked!!!"
Hahahaha, that was brilliant.

jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »

I think he's up for the task, breaking out which ever song he wants to do now. Maybe Don't Damn Me even, although I think he considered that one too hard to sing even back in the day. That must have been the reason they never played it, right?

Your point of view is very simplistic. There are many aspects entering the equation.

Hell has frozen over.
SirTed
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »

I remember in a video interview from a couple of years ago Axl indicated that You Could Be Mine was pretty tough, night after night.

I believe the context of the question was "What song have you written that you find particularly hard to sing on tour" or something like that, and he said YCBM, no question.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »

I remember in a video interview from a couple of years ago Axl indicated that You Could Be Mine was pretty tough, night after night.

I believe the context of the question was "What song have you written that you find particularly hard to sing on tour" or something like that, and he said YCBM, no question.

I believe it.  That last outro is no joke.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JustanUrchin
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »

Wow, the opinions are all over the place on the matter!  Having seen the original recording, writing and touring line-up in '88 and again in '91 before UYI were released (but with Sorum on drums), Axl sounded better on the live stream that I watched on April 9, 2016 than at EITHER the '88 or '91 shows.  Listen to Nightrain on the 9th then listen to the Hershey show in '91 and tell me that Axl doesn't sound better twenty-five years later!  Quite frankly, with the DVD's/CD's that I have of '91-93 (and years later watching YouTube), his voice just got progressively worse after seeing them in Hershey (as that was near the start of the 2 1/2 year tour).  His power, of course, was greater in '91 but he sounded hoarse as hell (people say "rasp,"--no, that was someone damaging his vocal chords), and, really, just sounded like someone screaming hoarsely in key.  People disparage the back line as "sloppy" during those years, but in my experience at that time seeing them live was Axl's sloppy vocals far more so than whether Adler was in time or whether Izzy was scratching out the chords as recorded or whether Slash was hitting all the notes in his solos.  In '11, when I took my wife bragging him up (and ignoring the fact of what had become of the most legendary kickass band to walk the face of the earth), I ended up, literally, being embarrassed during the show--for a number of reasons, but also because of the clean, weak falsetto he used most of the show.  It sounded like Barry Gibb meets Mickey Mouse.  But listening to the stream on the 9th was awesome for me--for a number of reasons--but also because it was obvious that Axl can still walk into a recording studio and bring it!  Actual singers (not just rock singers) that I've read who have commented on the way that Axl sings have always complimented him/his range but also have noted how hard/unhealthy his technique was on his vocal chords.  It seems that he's taught himself to work the higher notes with the "rasp" that people love without causing nightly damage to his vocal chords.  Or maybe, in the back of his head, he was always saving himself for the day of the return of Gn'R to the studio!

8.30.88 Pocono Downs
6.11.91 Hershey
12.6.02 Philly riot
11.20.11 Mohegan Sun
JustanUrchin
Headliner

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 11:48:30 AM »

And, I'd add if I'm not much mistaken, that Axl literally laid down his vocals LINE-BY-LINE on Appetite and UYI.  I don't know whether this was true with the last 4 songs on Lies (doesn't sound like it) or CD (which does sound like it).  There's one helluva difference between singing ONE LINE AT A TIME in a studio and then singing each song live for over two hours!

8.30.88 Pocono Downs
6.11.91 Hershey
12.6.02 Philly riot
11.20.11 Mohegan Sun
Reunion2016
Opening Act

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »

I've been a fan of this board for a long time, but it was the recent concerts that inspired me to finally create an account. I agree that this is the best Axl has sounded in years, and I think the entire band seems inspired. Do you think Axl will continue to use the rasp wisely, or do you think he might feel obligated to try too hard for the stadium shows? I hope he doesn't let the pressure of a bigger audience affect his approach to singing.
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 01:28:34 PM »

It's the same reason you are highly unlikely to ever hear 'Perfect Crime' again.

It's not hard to sing. I just drove home listening to it and sang it three times in a row at the top of my voice and I didn't find it difficult. Axl could do it a million times better with ease. The rapid fire lyrics are sang almost in a talking snarl. There's a breathing gap in the right place to keep going. It's nearly like rapping in a way. Try it yourself. I would love to hear Axl's view. I respect your opinion but I still think it's a handy enough number. Perfect Crime is harder and You Could Be Mine but Don't Damn Me is grand.

Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »

I must admit I had major doubts about his vocals before the reunion,but holy fu## he nailed it to the door ,it wasn't just his rasp that was good but he sang with a passion and aggression that's being missing for years ,and he sounded well rehearsed knowing the media vultures would be there to feed on his carcass had he blown it.
Princess Leia
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »

Don't Damn Me is one of my favorite. And I'd also like to hear Perfect Crime. I think he can pull it off. I don't mean he has to do every single show. But it would be great to hear from time to time
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: