Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110496 times)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #500 on: August 29, 2016, 07:59:49 PM »

Axl's voice and Slash's guitar are the obvious elements that stands out in GNR trademark sound, especially to people who don't play any instruments. Putting Buckethead to play GNR songs is like putting a great winter coat to go the beach. The coat is amazing, works great in the cold, but it wasn't made for the beach, it doesn't fit.

My problem with CD is how much goes on at the same time: too many orchestrations, too many (fast) guitars, too much noises, the songs are too big, some lyrics are too over dramatic, they put too much thought into every single part, it's not natural, it's not catchy, it doesn't flow. Actually I think the album sounds like the early 2000s rock and dated like the UYI drums.

I know most of you love/enjoy it and I respect that, but I think these live 2016 versions are a big improvement just because they are simpler. Axl has a tendency to overdo stuff, Slash has a tendency to write songs that are too simple, some of them forgettable. That's why Axl and Slash together makes everything better.

GNR worked because all 5 original members kept each others' bad tendencies in check. Axl always overdid things and wanted to be Elton John, Izzy was too understated, Slash just wanted to play bluesy hard rock riffs, etc. but if you put them together magic was created. You can see this effect if you listen to their solo albums and CD (AKA Axl's solo album).

Yeah, but if they really do a new album, I don't expect the magic to suddenly be back. I mean, they're different now, they're rich, they aren't as hungry as they were in those days.

The old bands that are active nowadays (The Stones, U2, The Who, etc.) haven't been making great music since I don't know when. I don't think it'll be different with GNR. Hope I'm wrong.

The Stones had Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon. All good albums. U2 had All That You Can't Leave Behind, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and No Line on the Horizon. Those were three good albums as well. I'm not sure about The Who since I don't follow them. I think GNR can pull off three very good albums. Will it be another AFD? No. Nothing will ever replicate that. However, they can have a UYI type of success.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #501 on: August 29, 2016, 09:58:39 PM »

Axl's voice and Slash's guitar are the obvious elements that stands out in GNR trademark sound, especially to people who don't play any instruments. Putting Buckethead to play GNR songs is like putting a great winter coat to go the beach. The coat is amazing, works great in the cold, but it wasn't made for the beach, it doesn't fit.

My problem with CD is how much goes on at the same time: too many orchestrations, too many (fast) guitars, too much noises, the songs are too big, some lyrics are too over dramatic, they put too much thought into every single part, it's not natural, it's not catchy, it doesn't flow. Actually I think the album sounds like the early 2000s rock and dated like the UYI drums.

I know most of you love/enjoy it and I respect that, but I think these live 2016 versions are a big improvement just because they are simpler. Axl has a tendency to overdo stuff, Slash has a tendency to write songs that are too simple, some of them forgettable. That's why Axl and Slash together makes everything better.

GNR worked because all 5 original members kept each others' bad tendencies in check. Axl always overdid things and wanted to be Elton John, Izzy was too understated, Slash just wanted to play bluesy hard rock riffs, etc. but if you put them together magic was created. You can see this effect if you listen to their solo albums and CD (AKA Axl's solo album).

Yeah, but if they really do a new album, I don't expect the magic to suddenly be back. I mean, they're different now, they're rich, they aren't as hungry as they were in those days.

The old bands that are active nowadays (The Stones, U2, The Who, etc.) haven't been making great music since I don't know when. I don't think it'll be different with GNR. Hope I'm wrong.

The Stones had Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon. All good albums. U2 had All That You Can't Leave Behind, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and No Line on the Horizon. Those were three good albums as well. I'm not sure about The Who since I don't follow them. I think GNR can pull off three very good albums. Will it be another AFD? No. Nothing will ever replicate that. However, they can have a UYI type of success.

They would need a radio friendly song/hit.   Axl and slash are very capable of writting one.    Fall too pieces was a hit.   that wasn't written to long ago

A radio friendly hit   

Without that they would have to promote the crap out of the album.   Lots of press and free tv talk show shows.    Snl, etc... 
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #502 on: August 30, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »

As far as just a musical level yea they could have that success on a record sales level each UYI sold like 7 Million albums in the US. You just don't sell those numbers these days.

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #503 on: August 30, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »

It would be great if a new album sold millions of copies and all that. But at this point, I don't really care if they sell a lot of albums, as longs as the music in there is worth listening to.

Besides, IMO these days the the majority of the big band's revenues come from ticket sales, not from album sales.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #504 on: August 31, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »

I love your knowledge in guitar and your willingness to share with us. I for one have an awful ear and can't really hear everything you mention, but I'm very interested in it and it brings facts and reasons to your opinions instead of just "I don't like the guy".
Not sure if you're talking about me - I dont have that much knowledge, lol - but well, it is good to talk about some geek-ish stuff here and there. Smiley

I do prefer Slash's Better solo. To me, it's not as choppy and leads up to the notes instead of just getting there. Also have been impressed with all of his work. I agree with hoping Axl can push him to performing better instead of just sticking to what he knows and does real well.
I think you're saying its not as choppy as his other CD solos, like TIL, right?
Yeah, it is well thought. Better and Chinese both had the privilege of having a thoughtful approach - Slash didnt exactly stick to the original, but didn't went too far either. But IMO Better's original solo is one of the best guitar work of the last 10 years and still a shame to dont hear it in its true form. Its a bittersweet combination of bend/releases and fast/slow licks that made some people uncomfortable at first because of how it could feel weird and beautiful at the same time.

So while it's great having Slash back, in my opinion it's not just him making it "better", it's everything.
Pretty much spot on.

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #505 on: September 01, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »

I was fortunate enough to see Guns sans Slash several times and Slash solo/with Myles several times before the 2016 tour. As we all know, GNR w/o Slash was great and the shows were long. Best music ever made and Axl sounded great. But those shows also dragged in parts with a lot of filler from people we did not really care if they had solos or not. Slash is back in and the show tightens up. Slash's shows are petal to the metal rock from start to finish. There's an attitude and an approach that is no nonsense: we are going to rock you and play loud and you will be exhausted when you leave. That approach and attitude is back and that is why this American tour was so great and why it was so well received by critics and fans.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #506 on: September 01, 2016, 11:22:26 PM »

I was fortunate enough to see Guns sans Slash several times and Slash solo/with Myles several times before the 2016 tour. As we all know, GNR w/o Slash was great and the shows were long. Best music ever made and Axl sounded great. But those shows also dragged in parts with a lot of filler from people we did not really care if they had solos or not. Slash is back in and the show tightens up. Slash's shows are petal to the metal rock from start to finish. There's an attitude and an approach that is no nonsense: we are going to rock you and play loud and you will be exhausted when you leave. That approach and attitude is back and that is why this American tour was so great and why it was so well received by critics and fans.
Excellent post. Well put!

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #507 on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »

Really??

"As we all know?!"  "The music without Slash was the best ever?!"

Who has ever said this?! haha.

I really would say the overwhelming of people would say Guns best music ever made, was with Slash
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #508 on: September 02, 2016, 05:00:09 PM »

Really??

"As we all know?!"  "The music without Slash was the best ever?!"

Who has ever said this?! haha.

I really would say the overwhelming of people would say Guns best music ever made, was with Slash

You put in quotes words that I did not say. To use quotations you have to cite the exact words, not a paraphrase.  What the text says is the GNR has made the best music. You are attributing meanings to my words that I did not say and did not mean apparently to stir things up. I won't bite. I would just say Read More Carefully.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #509 on: September 05, 2016, 08:59:24 PM »

Just my 2 cents about Slash on CD songs.
This I love is probably that has the best sound but IMO Finck solo's fits so much better. Better, Sorry and Chinese Democracy are second. TWAT is not that good and Catcher in the Rye is just horrible.

With that being said I just prefer the originals from CD, same as I preferred the originals from Apetite and UYIs.
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #510 on: September 08, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »

I know it was probably just a typing error, but 'Petal To The Metal' sounds like the name of a cheesily packaged early 90s Guns bootleg Smiley
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #511 on: September 23, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »

This is the proof that Slash makes everything better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHyl04-ytH8

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #512 on: September 23, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »

Is this a joke?

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
aaronjcurtis
Headliner

« Reply #513 on: September 24, 2016, 11:56:43 AM »

Is this a joke?

No idea if it's a joke, but I gotta say thank-god Matt Sorum isn't in the band these days. I could never get accustomed to the sound of his kit for some reason. I'm sure he's an amazing player, but the sound....
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #514 on: September 24, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »

Is this a joke?
Is that hard to tell?

Just some silly Internet stuff. No big deal.

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #515 on: September 24, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »

I know the video is a joke.  Wasn't sure if you were joking  hihi

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #516 on: September 28, 2016, 10:04:38 AM »

I know the video is a joke.  Wasn't sure if you were joking  hihi
Oh ok hahaha. I was. Smiley

volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #517 on: October 16, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »

Bumblefoot is terribly missed. In the current situation, Fortus should at least take over lead for the CD songs.

I also miss Bumble at the end of Rocket Queen.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #518 on: October 16, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »

Is this a joke?
Is that hard to tell?

Just some silly Internet stuff. No big deal.

Like someone in the comments said, can you imagine the amount of work to get that synced up? That alone makes the video amazingly awesome. Plus I'm sure Slash got a good kick out of it, he seems to have a good sense of humor.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #519 on: October 16, 2016, 06:18:30 PM »

Like someone in the comments said, can you imagine the amount of work to get that synced up? That alone makes the video amazingly awesome. Plus I'm sure Slash got a good kick out of it, he seems to have a good sense of humor.
Not sure if was that hard, seems like the guy was just fucking around with the guitar while watching the video. Maybe he watched a few times before recording. Its genious, tho. I still laugh every time I watch. hihi

I also miss Bumble at the end of Rocket Queen.
I trully think Rocket Queen always sounded better with Slash at the ending.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: