Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:32:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110637 times)
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #440 on: August 24, 2016, 12:22:02 PM »

1991 was great because it was the last great line-up and they were on top of the world.  It was also the year of the best setlists, the longest and most passionate shows, the craziest antics ( and the best wardrobe  Grin ), even the St. Louis riot was better than the lame Montreal, Vancouver or Philly riots  Grin

I would say it will always be their best year because thats what GNR was, danger, the music cuts slaps and punches you in the face, so obviously the people doing te music where going to be a reflection of that, or rather the source. Axls spinning like a posessed demon, channeling the energy of the music is something great to behold, also i  the 90's the audience used to move with the music as well  now they are zombies. Just look at the live footage from paradise city

I agree.
NITL is AMAZING, but I also have to add that there's nothing like being young in rock n roll, what being young brings to the music, attitude and performance. There's also Izzy Stradlin. We still had Izzy and his songs are some of my favorites.

On the other hand, I have to say that, as human beings, we tend to romanticize the past a bit.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #441 on: August 24, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »

What I love about the current line up is that we have Slash's playing without losing Fortus' amazing rhythm playing and Frank incredible additions to the classic tunes. Not to mention Duff's powerful chorus bass. Playingwise, I'd pick 2016 band over 1985-1993 band anytime.

I think Slash and Duff are playing better now than 25 years ago. Not to mention Axl's 1991 Donald Duck voice.

Grin

To each his own I guess ...

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #442 on: August 24, 2016, 12:35:27 PM »

I had a number of people say they would never go again because of his history.  Yet I have had even more that have since seen the Youtube clips and read the reviews and lament they should have gone.

I had very few takers for this tour.  If there's a next one, I have about 20 people that want to come with.

Exactly. As distances here in Europe are so short (and the best public transport in the world) I'm planning anything from maybe 6 to 12 gigs or god knows how many. Many have said that one gig will be enough but keep me posted I really really want to see them ok

What would some of you pay now to have them play only a handful of songs you know ?

Grin rofl
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:42:09 PM by Lord Stan » Logged
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #443 on: August 24, 2016, 01:13:34 PM »

I'm a huge CD fan and I was 100% on board with the CD era, but I like the CD songs better with Slash.   Other than Axl's voice, the sound that I know and love to be Guns is Slash's guitar.  So when I hear him play them them, his tone and style really elevate the songs for me.  Chinese Democracy in particular, wow, he just kills it on that one, so much more gritty and aggressive, I love it. 

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #444 on: August 24, 2016, 01:23:22 PM »

I equate seeing Slash play CD songs the way I would guess Beatles fans would embrace seeing the Fab Four play "Live And Let Die" or "Imagine" together in addition to their onslaught of hits before John died. They may not have written and recorded those songs together, but who wouldn't want to see them play those together?  Would probably make them sound acutely more "Beatles" the same way Slash makes Chinese songs sound more "Guns N' Roses."
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #445 on: August 24, 2016, 01:30:26 PM »

I'm loving this tour and this moment more than any other, but people should stop listening with their eyes. Does a song sound wrong just because there's another guy playing it, even if he's doing it right note by note? Does a song sound right just because its creator is playing it, even with mistakes? Since this tour started, I've been reading people bashing Frank for playing "wrong" or "fast" (even on songs started by Slash or Duff) and praising Adler, even when he's playing faster than Ferrer did the night before. Have they ever watched to Ritz 88, with speed up and out of tune songs? "Hired hands" can play it right! Classic members can make mistakes too!

What I love about the current line up is that we have Slash's playing without losing Fortus' amazing rhythm playing and Frank incredible additions to the classic tunes. Not to mention Duff's powerful chorus bass. Playingwise, I'd pick 2016 band over 1985-1993 band anytime.

The whole time Slash was gone, the end of 'November Rain', or 'Estranged' in its entirety, never sounded right to me.  Not bad, per se, but I was very aware that I was listening to someone cover the classic songs I came to love.

Bumblefoot used to play NR last solo exactly like the studio version, note by note. Not even Slash does that. He also nailed Estranged every single night. Actually, Slash misses the last section of NR first solo every gig.

It's never ending around here....probably their most professional and successful Us Tour ever. They sound incredible. If you want to listen to the album versions of the songs, stay at home and listen to them.

I've started to wonder if, on balance, this is the best GNR tour.

No.  Not a chance.  Nothing can ever beat 1991.  For starters, there's only 3 GNR members in the current line-up, and they're 25 years older.

This might be the best tour they've ever had in terms of behaviour and critical response.  That's about it.

I think Slash and Duff are playing better now than 25 years ago. Not to mention Axl's 1991 Donald Duck voice.
You were doing so well, then that last sentence  Roll Eyes
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #446 on: August 24, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »

I equate seeing Slash play CD songs the way I would guess Beatles fans would embrace seeing the Fab Four play "Live And Let Die" or "Imagine" together in addition to their onslaught of hits before John died. They may not have written and recorded those songs together, but who wouldn't want to see them play those together?  Would probably make them sound acutely more "Beatles" the same way Slash makes Chinese songs sound more "Guns N' Roses."

Exactly, that pretty much nails it.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #447 on: August 24, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »

Meh not for me

They are still guns n roses songs

So Slash playing CD songs to me, is just Salsh playing Guns songs he didn't wright.  They are still guns songs though written by guns n roses

Guns N Roses to me has become band that it's band members never stop changing.   I have come to terms with it.   Who's to say this current line up will be around in a couple of years.    I much prefer slash playing a few songs he didn't write, but a few guys in the band did then the whole band playin songs nobody wrote!  Ugh
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #448 on: August 24, 2016, 03:14:39 PM »

Meh not for me

So Slash playing CD songs to me, is just Salsh playing Guns songs he didn't wright.  They are still guns songs though written by guns n roses

Guns N Roses to me has become band that it's band members never stop changing.   I have come to terms with it.   Who's to say this current line up will be around in a couple of years.    I much prefer slash playing a few songs he didn't write, but a few guys in the band did then the whole band playin songs nobody wrote!  Ugh

Never said they weren't Guns N' Roses songs.  My thoughts are very much to the contrary.  My point was that I enjoy hearing Slash's take on them immensely, and that he gives them a more "classic" edge.  Not to mention, I'll take CD songs over covers any day of the week.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #449 on: August 24, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »

Meh not for me

Never said they weren't Guns N' Roses songs.  My thoughts are very much to the contrary.  My point was that I enjoy hearing Slash's take on them immensely, and that he gives them a more "classic" edge.  Not to mention, I'll take CD songs over covers any day of the week.

Yep I agree with you

In your post you compared slash playing Cd songs to the Beatles playing non Beatle songs.   

I would love to hear slashes take on think about you and anything goes and Madagascar and shackles and one in a million.   As I havnt heard those songs live in many years
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #450 on: August 24, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »

The intro for Better sounds like the band missed a cue or something before the song begins. It's not tight.

I totally get what you're saying here because when I'm updating the setlist while watching/listening to the periscopes that's the one song that each show I literally waited for that intro part to be over just to be sure it's actually Better.  I mean like every show I waited to make sure.  Embarrassed

After hearing it the first few times, I noticed that intro sort of sounded to me like the jaws/shark-is-here music that is similar to prior tours when we were teased with what was supposedly the intro to "The General" (I think Robin was still in the band at that time).

I was pleasantly surprised with myself for recognizing the songs in the setlists from the opening intro notes.  Every show was a combination of me playing "Name That Tune" and praying that Axl didn't add any surprise songs from the GNR catalogue that I didn't know (and there are a lot I don't).  That's why I was a little disappointed in myself for not recognizing that Better intro because, of all the songs, I found I could name the other CD songs in 3 notes or less!!!  I was also pleasantly surprised how instantly I recognized Estranged, Coma and Yesterdays.

I did have to ask someone if that was really part of Layla they were playing. 

Duff's "solo" was easy because each time he started with the same song and 2 of the 3 other songs that he did alternate were quickly recognizable because the lyrics were like "Raw Power dadadada...Raw Power" or "Attitude dadadadada ...Attitude".  "New Rose" was a little tricky but by time I noticed he wasn't yelling "Raw Power" or "Attitude" the words "New Rose" came up in the lyrics.  hihi

Still don't know the real name (if it has one) of Slash's solo (doodlez).

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
McKenzie
Headliner

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

« Reply #451 on: August 24, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »

The intro for Better sounds like the band missed a cue or something before the song begins. It's not tight.

I totally get what you're saying here because when I'm updating the setlist while watching/listening to the periscopes that's the one song that each show I literally waited for that intro part to be over just to be sure it's actually Better.  I mean like every show I waited to make sure.  Embarrassed

After hearing it the first few times, I noticed that intro sort of sounded to me like the jaws/shark-is-here music that is similar to prior tours when we were teased with what was supposedly the intro to "The General" (I think Robin was still in the band at that time).

The new intro is based on the already existing rhythm played during Buckethead's solo on this song. It's not like they created something totally out of context.

I'm pretty sure it has not a name. Matt Sorum's drum solo was always called "drum solo". No need to name a solo based on improvisation, not on a song.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #452 on: August 24, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »

The new intro is based on the already existing rhythm played during Buckethead's solo on this song. It's not like they created something totally out of context.
You're saying that Slash is doing his version of the Better intro solo that Buckethead did in his live performance??  Huh
Live in Chicago 2012 (don't know why that's the version I have on this computer), the only intro on Better is the notes for "no one ever told me when I was alone" part then Axl starts singing.

I'm pretty sure it has not a name. Matt Sorum's drum solo was always called "drum solo". No need to name a solo based on improvisation, not on a song.
The reason I thought it might have a name is because it sounds to me like he's playing the exact same thing every show for that part before the Godfather Theme. 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2016, 08:48:44 PM »

Being a fan since October 1987, I have to agree that this was their best tour ever! When something like a piano messed up, Axl didn't get upset. He made a joke about it. The younger version of Axl would have been very upset.  In addition, Slash and Duff were excellent and  weren't drunk nor high on stage. They really should be proud of this leg of the tour.

I'm looking forward to the Axl/DC concert at MSG and then checking out the second leg of this tour on periscope.
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »

Best tour so far, Slash has brought attention and excitement to the CD songs, he has been nailing TIL and TWAT, CITR and Sorry were great!!  beer

No complaints from me!!
Agreed!
Without slash, Chinese is an Axl rose album.  Now Chinese becomes GNR!
Hence..slash makes everything better!

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #455 on: August 24, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »

You're saying that Slash is doing his version of the Better intro solo that Buckethead did in his live performance?? 

No... what I think he is saying is that they are basically playing a live version of what is either a Brain remix or a collaborative Melissa/Brain remix. What you hear playing as the intro today is actually lifted from the rhythm track of the studio recording that plays under the solo.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #456 on: August 25, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »

1991 was great because it was the last great line-up and they were on top of the world.  It was also the year of the best setlists, the longest and most passionate shows, the craziest antics ( and the best wardrobe  Grin ), even the St. Louis riot was better than the lame Montreal, Vancouver or Philly riots  Grin

I just watched a 91 show again and yep, its pretty good......

I also watched RNR 3 , from 01 and it was even better.....

I was at the Seattle show on this leg..  It was good, but nothing compaired to the shows above.

I like a crowd into it, it makes the show that much better

I like when the band interacts with the crowd, nothing we really saw on this leg of the tour

I like random set lists and mistakes during songs.......    Keeps it real

I loved this past leg of this guns tour, but its not even close to the best shows I have ever seen
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #457 on: August 25, 2016, 08:22:27 AM »

You have to remember, the core Guns crowd at these shows are my age...49. Thus, the crowd isn't exactly going to be stage diving and slamming in the pit. They come to hear the songs and watch. This tour was perfect in that respect. There was everything I guy like me could want. Great visuals, great musicianship, great sound, and great songs. I personally couldn't ask for more.

However, when I was 24 in 1991 at Noblesville, Indiana, I wanted the chaotic, hair trigger "dangerous" band who played an entire album's worth of unheard material at a big show. It was awesome and the energy of the crowd was completely different...the crowd mirrored the band then as the crowd mirrors the band now. People change as they get older...significantly. That's life.... peace

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #458 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »

I just watched a 91 show again and yep, its pretty good......

I also watched RNR 3 , from 01 and it was even better.....

I was at the Seattle show on this leg..  It was good, but nothing compaired to the shows above.

I like a crowd into it, it makes the show that much better

I like when the band interacts with the crowd, nothing we really saw on this leg of the tour

I like random set lists and mistakes during songs.......    Keeps it real

I loved this past leg of this guns tour, but its not even close to the best shows I have ever seen

RIR3?? If the only thing you are basing that off of is the bouncing crowd and the fact that Axl steals a T-shirt from the crowd and screws up Street of Dreams (The Blues) then I can almost see where you are coming from... but Jesus, they just did 25 shows where they killed it every night. It's not 1991 anymore, Robin is not coming though that door (to steal a Rick Petino quote)... We have Axl, Slash, and Duff functioning on stage like a well oiled machine putting 110% into every show and you are longing for RIR3... seriously WTF?!?
alcapone_dudu
Rocker

Black Frog

« Reply #459 on: August 25, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »

I think this ''new intro'' is similar to this rhythm part Mckenzie was referring to but not quite the same thing. It's very confusing.

IMO, it probably takes away that catchy vibe a hit song like ''Better'' have.

Like GypsySoul said, you never know what will come out out of this jam.

Don't want to sound like I complaining about the band and all that shit (that's boring). I'm indeed very happy. But, like GN'R lovers, lets make a good discussion about the things we've heard/seen.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:04:44 AM by alcapone_dudu » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: