Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:31:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110635 times)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #280 on: May 07, 2016, 09:28:16 AM »

The tempo has been a huge concern for me, especially on the ballads (NR and Estranged)

It takes away these song's emotions, especially on the solos... Take the NR's first solo for example. The notes need to "breath" between one another if you know what I mean. With the faster tempo, the solo feels rushed, so does the song.

And on the faster songs, the faster tempo takes away the "swag". It also feels rushed and too punky to my taste

A slower tempo would also help Axl IMO, since his out of breath problem has been a huge concern these past years

I'm quite sure they are playing the songs at a tempo the actual band is in agreement on, if not it would have been remedied after the first show.

Lol at all these would be amateur  musical arrangers and hobby drummers that climb out of the woodwork to critique GNRs and the tempo(s) they have obviously chosen and rehearsed.  hihi
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:29:50 AM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #281 on: May 07, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »

Lol at all these would be amateur  musical arrangers and hobby drummers that climb out of the woodwork to critique GNRs and the tempo(s) they have obviously chosen and rehearsed.  hihi

Do.....they have ears?

Because all I've seen is stuff discussed that can be conformed by anyone with ears.

Why do you treat so many general observations about events as threats, demands, or both?

The songs are a little quick.  That's all.  No one's taken a hostage.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #282 on: May 07, 2016, 10:05:52 AM »

love the sig dx.

i think gnr also has ears, and agree that the tempo must be intentional.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #283 on: May 07, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »

Of course it is intentional. Probably to get a sense of urgency and adrenaline.

When the new band played live for the first time in 2001, they also used a faster tempo - at least compared to the Illusion era. I noticed it more in It's So Easy, WTTJ and Nightrain.

Maybe it's more noticable now because DTJ is "new" and because we are used to listen to Slash playing those songs in a slower tempo.

McKenzie
Headliner

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

« Reply #284 on: May 07, 2016, 10:29:23 AM »

I remember from Tokyo 2012 Axl's IEM bootleg, they're using a click to keep the songs tempo the same intended. I don't know if they're using it now, and I don't know if Slash used to have it in his bands.
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #285 on: May 07, 2016, 10:37:45 AM »

I thought I was the only one who noticed they are kinda playing in a faster tempo! I noticed it more in the Mexico concerts...for instance  .Slash solo shows he always plays the songs in a faster tempo than the original recordings, even his own songs.  Maybe is his influence? Axl definitely agrreed on it anyway.

Coma was faster one Mexico night and for me thats bad. Real bad...this song is dark and its slower tempo is a must! (a fan and not pro musician standpoint ok?)

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #286 on: May 07, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »

Do.....they have ears?

Because all I've seen is stuff discussed that can be conformed by anyone with ears.

Why do you treat so many general observations about events as threats, demands, or both?

The songs are a little quick.  That's all.  No one's taken a hostage.

Your little perceptions, as usual- are off.

Big difference in a general observation and a negative critique about the songs "being played too fast" but you are probably drawn to negativity given your posting history.

The tempo is intentional, apparently it is approved by members of the band, so the wannabe music directors can get over that.

I hardly think Frank has taken everyone hostage and is playing a tempo of his own choosing, regardless of what the others think- that is a silly premise.

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #287 on: May 07, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »

Big difference in a general observation and a negative critique about the songs "being played too fast" but you are probably drawn to negativity given your posting history.

The songs are a bit quick.  This is not up for debate.  A comparison to past tours, which takes all of 30 seconds, confirms this.

However, as it pertains to you, this is one of two things :

1) You also recognize they are a bit quick.  But, as usual, find verbalizing that stone cold fact of life to be treasonous and seditious behavior no "real fan" would engage in.  That's a bit weird.

2) You dispute the songs are a bit quicker than they have been.  That's just straight up denial.  Given how "amazing" you assured us Axl sounded in 2012, this is probably our better bet.

But where a general observation differs from a critique is when a person (like me) says that the 4/9/16 Las Vegas show is the best show in years and that person (again...me) says he's been listening to it non-stop.

They are a bit quick.  It's not the end of the world.  But it's there.  That's just life in the big city. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #288 on: May 07, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »

Unless you became a GNR fan because of CD, I can't really understand someone who's not happy with Slash's and Duff's return. For me, Slash and Duff returning is the return of GNR, the guys who made all that records that we love, so it's not even a matter of discussion. I would love to have Izzy, but I won't even start on that one. Besides, I'm really happy with what we have right now.

Doesn't matter to me that Buckethead, for example, is technically a better guitar player. That's not the vibe of the band to me. Never was, never will be, quite the opposite actualy. IMHO five Bucketheads doesn't worth one Slash. And I'm not being disrespectful to him, his work or anyone who's a fan, it's just that he doesn't belong and it has nothing to do with the music I love and the reasons why I became a fan many decades ago. But that's just my opinion.

This! Great post. I couldn't agree more  ok

^ people that can say such things, and people that say bucket doesn't play with feeling/soul...

i have to guess that you've never listened to buckets electric tears album in full.

There's no right or wrong, my friend.
It's just a matter of taste.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #289 on: May 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »

love the sig dx.

Of all the songs tonight, that's the one I want to have a decent video of that I can throw on my FaceBook page ASAP.

I think it 's going to be awesome.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #290 on: May 07, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »

The songs are a bit quick.  This is not up for debate.  A comparison to past tours, which takes all of 30 seconds, confirms this.

However, as it pertains to you, this is one of two things :

1) You also recognize they are a bit quick.  But, as usual, find verbalizing that stone cold fact of life to be treasonous and seditious behavior no "real fan" would engage in.  That's a bit weird.

2) You dispute the songs are a bit quicker than they have been.  That's just straight up denial.  Given how "amazing" you assured us Axl sounded in 2012, this is probably our better bet.

But where a general observation differs from a critique is when a person (like me) says that the 4/9/16 Las Vegas show is the best show in years and that person (again...me) says he's been listening to it non-stop.

They are a bit quick.  It's not the end of the world.  But it's there.  That's just life in the big city. 

None of those 3 little choices at all.

The tempo is a bit faster on some of the songs than the studio versions, but so what? If you want to hear the studio versions play the damn record and don't go to shows.

The "faster tempo" claim is being used by some "fans" to take shots at Frank, when it is clearly intentional the band has determined to play at these tempos.

The faster tempo of some songs is a non-issue, GNR still sounds great so I don't really understand why some take issue or state their "supposed concern" about the tempo.

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #291 on: May 07, 2016, 11:04:19 AM »

The only one I think it doens't really work is 'Rocket Queen'.  That's a groove song that could use a little move groove.

But this band has played all of 5 shows together.  They'll figure it out.

Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #292 on: May 07, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »

I dont want to sound like a negative guy but take Dont Cry for instance.... fast tempo makes it sound a cheesy ballad imo...c'mon guys you can do it right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZuE0w4B-E

EDIT: After listening to Axl on ACDC rehearsals...listening to this makes me wonder...why no rasp in GNR Axl??? He definitely can do it!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:25:17 AM by Bazfreak » Logged

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #293 on: May 07, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »

I dont want to sound like a negative guy but take Dont Cry for instance.... fast tempo makes it sound a cheesy ballad imo...c'mon guys you can do it right!

EDIT: After listening to Axl on ACDC rehearsals...listening to this makes me wonder...why no rasp in GNR Axl??? He definitely can do it!

The band that wrote said song is definitely playing it "right".

If you want the album version, play the album.  Roll Eyes

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #294 on: May 07, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »

The only one I think it doens't really work is 'Rocket Queen'.  That's a groove song that could use a little move groove.

But this band has played all of 5 shows together.  They'll figure it out.

Opinions vary, I think they have it "figured out" already.

"Shut the fuck up."
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #295 on: May 07, 2016, 06:35:35 PM »

Unless you became a GNR fan because of CD, I can't really understand someone who's not happy with Slash's and Duff's return. For me, Slash and Duff returning is the return of GNR, the guys who made all that records that we love, so it's not even a matter of discussion. I would love to have Izzy, but I won't even start on that one. Besides, I'm really happy with what we have right now.

Doesn't matter to me that Buckethead, for example, is technically a better guitar player. That's not the vibe of the band to me. Never was, never will be, quite the opposite actualy. IMHO five Bucketheads doesn't worth one Slash. And I'm not being disrespectful to him, his work or anyone who's a fan, it's just that he doesn't belong and it has nothing to do with the music I love and the reasons why I became a fan many decades ago. But that's just my opinion.

This! Great post. I couldn't agree more  ok

^ people that can say such things, and people that say bucket doesn't play with feeling/soul...

i have to guess that you've never listened to buckets electric tears album in full.

There's no right or wrong, my friend.
It's just a matter of taste.

i get that. but i really do recommend the album to those that haven't heard it. you will see that bucket is more than just technique.

love the sig dx.

Of all the songs tonight, that's the one I want to have a decent video of that I can throw on my FaceBook page ASAP.

I think it 's going to be awesome.

looks like you got your wish!

Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #296 on: May 07, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »

Been reading the forum the last couple of years in a passive way.... (Thanks Jarmo and company for keeping up with your passion!).

I really appreciated the "new gnr" era (saw them in madrid 2006, bilbao 2006 and san sebastian 2010). I am grateful for Axl and the rest of the often sadly called "hired guns" for keeping up the goods. I truly believe cd is a masterpiece I'll never get tired of listening to...but I simply can't believe some of the things that are coming up these days:

- slash: who can really critizise his takes or solos in the cd song?Huh? They are amazing. They move, they're emotive. It's fucking Slash, common. Just his presence should be enough.

- Dj Ashba:  he has been a down to earth feel good presence and member. Great playing. And now he is being critized for just saying that Axl wanted him in the reunion?Huh? DJ, bumble, robin, bucket...we should all be grateful for their services and dedication. Sure, they all got well paid for those services, but as we say in Spain "de bien nacido es ser bien agradecido"!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:29:20 PM by Cocaine__tongue » Logged

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #297 on: May 07, 2016, 11:19:40 PM »

The band that wrote said song is definitely playing it "right".

If you want the album version, play the album.  Roll Eyes

Emily poking others for having a different opinion as usual...  Roll Eyes

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #298 on: May 07, 2016, 11:51:57 PM »

A very easy answer for songs being played a bit faster, is to program set lists to make sure they squeeze in every ounce of music they can get without going overtime, and maybe its a bit easier, its not like you turned a 33rpm record into a 45rpm.lol

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
ice cream sand pig
VIP

« Reply #299 on: May 07, 2016, 11:53:50 PM »

Been reading the forum the last couple of years in a passive way.... (Thanks Jarmo and company for keeping up with your passion!).

I really appreciated the "new gnr" era (saw them in madrid 2006, bilbao 2006 and san sebastian 2010). I am grateful for Axl and the rest of the often sadly called "hired guns" for keeping up the goods. I truly believe cd is a masterpiece I'll never get tired of listening to...but I simply can't believe some of the things that are coming up these days:

- slash: who can really critizise his takes or solos in the cd song?Huh? They are amazing. They move, they're emotive. It's fucking Slash, common. Just his presence should be enough.

- Dj Ashba:  he has been a down to earth feel good presence and member. Great playing. And now he is being critized for just saying that Axl wanted him in the reunion?Huh? DJ, bumble, robin, bucket...we should all be grateful for their services and dedication. Sure, they all got well paid for those services, but as we say in Spain "de bien nacido es ser bien agradecido"!

there hasn't been a guitarist i havent liked yet, including slash. gnr has always been the go to band for some of r and r's best guitar work, imo anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: