Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:27:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110614 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #240 on: May 02, 2016, 11:45:30 PM »

Can't believe what I started lol. Opinions are like assholes we all got one.  Personally I'm digging the way slash plays the CD era songs, especially Cd.

Yeah, CD sounds great.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #241 on: May 03, 2016, 07:46:11 AM »

Can't believe what I started lol. Opinions are like assholes we all got one.  Personally I'm digging the way slash plays the CD era songs, especially Cd.

Yeah, CD sounds great.

I think the point of this thread is correct.   It doesn't matter how slash plays CD songs because in the end, slash is original GNR.  Had he been part of the "replacement era" GNR, the sons on the CD album would sound different. Regardless how good the replacements were and are, Slash is GNR.  Slash playing CD songs, even if you like it less with him, makes CD songs legit GNR.  Prior to this, the typical fan didn't recognize CD as true GNR. 

Bottom line is Slash is GNR so however he plays he Cd songs is basically what they are now!

If they r selling out 60,000 seat stadiums now, but playing nearly the same songs they played prior to slash, what does that tell us about GNR with and without slash.
It tells us that "Slash makes everything better."

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
superstarmc
Rocker

« Reply #242 on: May 03, 2016, 08:04:38 AM »

Dat intro to Better!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #243 on: May 03, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »

Prior to this, the typical fan didn't recognize CD as true GNR. 

I don't know they do so any more now, to be honest.

Of all the people that ask me about the shows so far, over half have asked me if any CD songs are played and how many.  And their vibe is not a hopeful one.

I tell them its only 3, but all 3 sound pretty damn good.  CD is a quick rocker right at the beginning when you are still just pumped to be there.  TIL is a song they probably don't know, but its not going to sound all that different than the GNR they do know.  And 'Better' is not only super catchy, but often wedged between 2 of their best known songs (SCOM & CW).

Most seem satisfied with that. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #244 on: May 03, 2016, 10:27:41 AM »

Slash with Axl makes half sellout arenas to full sellou stadiums
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #245 on: May 03, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »

This really can't be overstated.  GNR is an event again.  It's a happening.

It's really a great thing to see.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #246 on: May 03, 2016, 12:24:11 PM »

Yep!

Nu Gn'R were doing pretty good together but they were doing like 60-70%. When I saw them in Nashville in late 2011 the arena which holds about 16k for concerts wasn't a sellout. It was probably 70-80% full.

The stadium show in July has already gotten 70%... and that's a stadium. So they are 2 months out, and have sold around 45k tickets where with the 2011 show was around 12kish.

Massive difference in the 2 lineups. It's great to be a Gn'R fan.

The dark, confusing days are over.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #247 on: May 03, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »

I'm so happy for you.

Personally I don't remember those dark confusing days. I must've been focusing on something else and missed them altogether.  Embarrassed

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #248 on: May 03, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »

This really can't be overstated.  GNR is an event again.  It's a happening.

It's really a great thing to see.

I've seen every GNR lineup since 2002 a bunch of times and every single one of those nights was an EVENT to me.  Look, I totally understand the excitement and it is really cool they are playing at this level again.  It is clear there is a huge segment of people who refused to see the band without Slash.  But I don't understand this need to tear down other lineups of the band.  There was not one night where I didn't feel GNR gave everything they had.  I was at the Vegas shows and they were amazing, but so was Albany and MSG in 2002, and the Hammerstein shows in 2006.

Yes it's cool so many people are "back on board", but it'd also a little annoying i had to jump through hoops and buy resale tix just to get GA, because a bunch of fans have come out of the woodwork.

Like I said I share your excitement, but haven't even thought of shitting on the previous lineups.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »

But I don't understand this need to tear down other lineups of the band. 

You see that because you want to see it.

I'm not trying to single you out, don't get me wrong.  But there are a handful of folks that are searching each thread for every slight (real or simply perceived) and expounding a lot of energy righting that wrong, as they see it.  And for what?

Quick example.  All of our friends know that we stayed fans this whole time.  So now they ask you about this tour versus, say, the last 3-4 tours.

You say :

"Look, the other tours...they were what they were, and they were fine.  But this is obviously what I would prefer and am really looking forward to it."

Is that a diss of a previous line-up?  Not to me.  It's an honest answer.

I think you are swimming upstream if you are going to insist on equal time, equal praise, and equal standing for all line-ups and era.  It's just not going to happen.

I will agree that it's not right to totally shit on the past 15 years.  We did still all follow it and enjoy it on some level.  To say we did not would be a dishonest opinion and total revisionist history, in my view.

But I can't see threatening to hold my breath until I turn blue if someone dares not put this 2016 tour on the same level as tours in 2006 or 2002. 

No one is trying to change your mind.  But you are going to lose yours insisting you will ever change everyone else's.

As the Big Chief is prone to say, and I agree with him on this point : "just enjoy the shows"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:19:19 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »

This post title is too vague and general.
Define "everything"?
Define "better"?

Does the return of Slash increase ticket sales? Yes.
Does the return of Slash increase public awareness and acceptance of the the GNR name? Yes.
Does the return of Slash equate more validity and legitimacy of the GNR name in the eyes of casual fans and mass public? Yes.
Therefore, it could be objectively argued that Slash makes these areas of the band "better."

However, does the return of Slash objectively make GNR's music better? Now that is debatable.
Does the return of Slash mean that GNR is a tighter, more skilled band? Now that is debatable.
Does the return of Slash improve Axl's vocal and stage performance? That is debatable.
Does the return of Slash and his playing of CD songs make CD better? That is debatable.
Does the return of Slash mean that all GNR fans are more satisfied, fulfilled, and happier? That is debatable. Remember, there is an entire generation of young people who "discovered" GNR through the new lineups. Their "first impression" of the band could have come in 2006, or 2012, or 2014. We never know when many of the newer GNR fans came on board. For them, the reunion is only a retro thing, but a "break up" of the band they first came to know and love. So, it is debate. Remember, GNR toured with the new line up for well over a decade and made a lot of new fans, memorable live performances, and legendary memories.

If by "better" you mean more ticket sales and more public acceptance and the return of the casual fans, then yes, the return of Slash improved those aspects.
However, Slash, without Axl, was not "better"? Velvet Revolver did not sell out stadiums. Slash with Myles Kennedy does not sellout stadiums. Slash's Snakepit did not sell out stadiums. CD was, in my opinion, much more epic, grand, melodic, catchy, and timeless than any music Slash produced as a solo artist.
So, as many have said multiple times- it is the chemistry of Slash and Axl that highly increase public awareness and "acceptance" of the GNR band. It is the chemistry of Axl and Slash that generate more hype and push more ticket sales.
I think the title of the post is misleading.

But, I guess the point of the title was to provoke interest and stir debate.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2016, 01:53:53 PM »

Define "everything"?
Define "better"?

So, as many have said multiple times- it is the chemistry of Slash and Axl that highly increase public awareness and "acceptance" of the GNR band. It is the chemistry of Axl and Slash that generate more hype and push more ticket sales.
Define "chemistry"?

Other than that, I agree with your post @SkeletorSerpent  ok

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2016, 02:02:52 PM »

Define "everything"?
Define "better"?

I'd agree.

And I think big picture is the best way to look at it.

The overall vibe, excitement, and overall acceptance of this tour as a big time event is enhanced, GREATLY, by Slash's return.

Just speaking from a personal level, I have been listening the hell out of that second Vegas bootleg since I got it.  The songs sound better, in my opinion.  Are both because of Slash's return?  Yes.  Yes, they are.

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »

Define "everything"?
Define "better"?

Does the return of Slash increase ticket sales? Yes.
Does the return of Slash increase public awareness and acceptance of the the GNR name? Yes.
Does the return of Slash equate more validity and legitimacy of the GNR name in the eyes of casual fans and mass public? Yes.
Therefore, it could be objectively argued that Slash makes these areas of the band "better."

However, does the return of Slash objectively make GNR's music better? Now that is debatable.
Does the return of Slash mean that GNR is a tighter, more skilled band? Now that is debatable.
Does the return of Slash improve Axl's vocal and stage performance? That is debatable.
Does the return of Slash and his playing of CD songs make CD better? That is debatable.
Does the return of Slash mean that all GNR fans are more satisfied, fulfilled, and happier? That is debatable. Remember, there is an entire generation of young people who "discovered" GNR through the new lineups. Their "first impression" of the band could have come in 2006, or 2012, or 2014. We never know when many of the newer GNR fans came on board. For them, the reunion is only a retro thing, but a "break up" of the band they first came to know and love. So, it is debate. Remember, GNR toured with the new line up for well over a decade and made a lot of new fans, memorable live performances, and legendary memories.

If by "better" you mean more ticket sales and more public acceptance and the return of the casual fans, then yes, the return of Slash improved those aspects.
However, Slash, without Axl, was not "better"? Velvet Revolver did not sell out stadiums. Slash with Myles Kennedy does not sellout stadiums. Slash's Snakepit did not sell out stadiums. CD was, in my opinion, much more epic, grand, melodic, catchy, and timeless than any music Slash produced as a solo artist.
I think the title of the post is misleading.

Most kids know Slash via Guitar Heroe so they know GNR via that as well when they investigate where Slash plays and used to Play. So he has brought lots of new fans to this regrouping aswell! Not only the 80s fans peace
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »

Look, this may be the elephant in the room.  But fuck it, when have I ever been shy?

The best thing about Slash coming back is that we never have to hear "well, it's not really Guns N' Roses" from anyone ever again.

I can only speak for myself, but I love that to death.  No more qualifiers, caveats, or tortured rationalizations.  That alone makes his return worth it.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #255 on: May 03, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »

I'm so happy for you.

Personally I don't remember those dark confusing days. I must've been focusing on something else and missed them altogether.  Embarrassed

/jarmo

Hey jarmo! What's up man?

I was referring to just the long periods of no news or concerts in years past... mainly the lack of press releases or news/activity. It's been pretty much full steam ahead since Jan. Which is a nice change.

But don't damn me
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »

Yeah I just think Slash fulfills that original style and feeling that Guns N' Roses was meant to be.

Hard rock mixed with some blues in there.

A lethal combination of...

Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Led Zepplin just a little. Mostly the first 2.

But don't damn me
jc_seven
Opening Act

« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »

Look, this may be the elephant in the room.  But fuck it, when have I ever been shy?

The best thing about Slash coming back is that we never have to hear "well, it's not really Guns N' Roses" from anyone ever again.

I can only speak for myself, but I love that to death.  No more qualifiers, caveats, or tortured rationalizations.  That alone makes his return worth it.

You mean like all those articles that came out when the regrouping was announced that claimed it was not GnR without Izzy and Steven?  Or just Izzy?  Or even had Izzy joined, without Steven?  Or Matt Sorum?  lol

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2016, 03:10:42 PM »

If they r selling out 60,000 seat stadiums now, but playing nearly the same songs they played prior to slash, what does that tell us about GNR with and without slash.
It tells us that "Slash makes everything better."

Using this logic, Kanye West is better than GNR because his music sells more.

GNR is more popular because of Slash, popular dosent mean quality. Its all a matter of taste...

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »

You mean like all those articles that came out when the regrouping was announced that claimed it was not GnR without Izzy and Steven?  Or just Izzy?  Or even had Izzy joined, without Steven?  Or Matt Sorum?  lol

Well, that's some inside baseball type stuff.  The general public never goes that deep.

I just got so tired of the overwrought explanations with people I would get into conversations with.  Didn't all of you?

Yeah, Guns N' Roses is my favorite band, no doubt.  Well, yeah, the old Guns N' Roses.  The Guns N' Roses you know.  Yes, it is a shame what happened to those guys.  Yep, they are still around.  The new band and the new stuff is actually not bad, but I could see how people don't dig it or accept it.  Yes, I do still go to the shows.  No, it's not the same, in my opinion.  But it's still a chance to hear Axl, which is still worth it to me.  Oh, fuck off with that crap?  Indeed I will.  So...how about that local sports team? 

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: