Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:30:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110633 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2016, 09:24:14 PM »

where are you hearing Coachella second weekend? I can't find TWAT played by slash anywhere.
I think TWAT was only played once and that was in Mexico on April 20th.

BillBailey702 posted his:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TflZzo6ZqmM&feature=youtu.be

Voodoochild posted this one by Gozdek G:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jfXX3TYZSE

Maybe someone else knows a better way to hear yesterday's Coachella but the only way I know is to click on a periscope link.  Smirnoffla seems to have a lot of the show on his periscope:  https://www.periscope.tv/Smirnoffla/1eaKbBLwgLVKX

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2016, 11:24:46 PM »

Thanks for the links !!

The quality of the recordings is pretty bad. However it does seem that Slash, unlike the TIL solo, does stick to the original melody. I think he does a fine job especially near the end. I think at the 4:43 min mark ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TflZzo6ZqmM&feature=youtu.be ) he kicks a lot of ass and he rips up until the end.

It would be cool to see him in high quality sound.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2016, 12:38:17 AM »

In my opinion, Slash's job on TIL is complete shit. It feels like he has never player that song, and is just improvising over it.

That being said, I never thought the other live versions of this song's solo did it justice. The best version is the studio one, by far

That's what I first thought, however on a second listen, he is sticking with a particular melody and follows the structure of the chords.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2016, 05:26:38 PM »

After listening a couple new boots and a couple of old boots from the 00's. I find that the band was tighter and the level of musicality was way better(to my taste) during the ''lets call it the Chinese era''

To each their own.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »

After listening a couple new boots and a couple of old boots from the 00's. I find that the band was tighter and the level of musicality was way better(to my taste) during the ''lets call it the Chinese era''

To each their own.

Be ready for responses from the top hat lovers.  People won't admit this because their beloved man is back, but I would agree.  However, it can take some time to get that back.  And on top of that, this is all still pretty cool right now...to witness some history. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:27:58 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »

To each their own.

Be ready for responses from the top hat lovers.  People won't admit this because their beloved man is back, but I would agree.  However, it can take some time to get that back.  And on top of that, this is all still pretty cool right now...to witness some history. 
No doubt they will get tighter with time, and they still sound allright in my opinion.

In addition to all that i wrote above, i kinda believe Pitman on his cashgrab comment. So my GN'R fever has been lower for the time being.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2016, 01:01:28 AM »

Agree 100%

Just because it's Slash playing, doesn't mean it will always be good

Take Yesterdays' solo from Mexico last night for example. In my opinion Slash butchered it with nonsense shredding.

The thing I hated the most about Buckethead and Bumblefoot is that all their solos was just a showcase of their abilities, in other words, just nonsense noodling.

Not bashing Slash, though, he's awesome

Agreed, I've been more into Slash's music than CD (although I do like many songs from it) and I was saying since like 2012, after Apocalyptic Love came out, that he was getting too technical and losing his classic groove. And then World on fire came out and I couldn't even listen to it because the solos were just so wank-y, and like he improvised them all on the spot. Some of the riffs had great potential, but of course he notoriously doesn't like spending time on songwriting, so a lot of the songs felt half-baked as well. The contrast to his playing in GNR is stark.

And it's funny, I see people saying how he's not as sloppy as he used to be. Well, as a guitarist of 12 years, I disagree. If anything, he's even more sloppy. He's definitely more technical but he doesn't play in the groove as well as he used to. Even when he was drunk, he somehow managed to stay roughly within the groove. Now, it seems like he gets bored (especially with slower songs like NR and Yesterdays) and just doesn't give a shit about holding notes to the right length or even playing to the beat sometimes. And being drunk must have inspired him, because his drunk improvising was way more groovy than the boring wanking he adds now. When he did Anastasia or Rocket Queen with Myles, I couldn't wait for the extended solos to end, a thing I never thought I would say about my hero Slash. Yesterdays is a perfect example as well.

Also, he always sounds like he's struggling to pick the notes. IDK if his guitars have higher action than they used to, or if it's because he uses less gain (I've definitely noticed this, ever since Snakepit ended, even in VR but especially with SMK&C). It does seem he's using a bit more gain now than he had been with Myles, but it's still not as much as he used to on the UYI tour.

I just hope that he'll rediscover that groove throughout the tour, being back in GNR.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2016, 07:29:28 AM »

He's definitely more technical but he doesn't play in the groove as well as he used to.

Steven was groovy, imo slash had more of a slither. Yea, he is a little more stiff and focused, but listen 2 TIL smoking

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »

Even before the "reunion" talk started, I told people that I thought bringing Slash back would be a step back from a purely musical standpoint. Image wise, it's undeniable what he brings to the stage, but even now I think he's the second best guitarist in GnR.

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »

To each their own.

I'm part of team Top Hat... I would agree that the CD Era line up was cleaner and tighter live, however I feel like they were also very 'sterile'

I would say the sloppiness sounds better on the Appetite and Illusion songs. While I will always be grateful that Ron helped push Estranged back in the rotation, it never sounded as good as it sounds now.

What I have noticed, and this could be due to timing as there have been some mixups with when the drums or other guitars come in... BUT Slash isn't playing some songs that he played every night with Myles as well as he has in the past 2 or 3 years. I also noticed his 'tone' is off on the recordings we've heard (maybe board members who have heard it live can comment). I wonder if the change from his signature Marshall line to Silver Jubilee's has an impact... I also wonder if that amp change is due to chasing a tone on the CD material. He's sounded better in recent years (but I still think he sounds better than DJ or Bumble on the Appetite and Illusion material).
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2016, 02:14:43 PM »

Even before the "reunion" talk started, I told people that I thought bringing Slash back would be a step back from a purely musical standpoint. Image wise, it's undeniable what he brings to the stage, but even now I think he's the second best guitarist in GnR.

Can you honestly say when you hear 'Estranged', 'Sweet Child O' Mine', and the end of 'November Rain'...you think its a step back from what we've been getting the past 15 years?

Even though I don't find them nearly as big a deal as some, I can concede that he's still finding his way on tunes like 'This I Love' and 'There Was A Time'.

But the second I heard him on the classic GNR tunes, they sounded "right" again, for lack of a better term.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »

Put the bong down.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:32 PM »

Put the bong down.

Hahahaha

Or...pass that shit over.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2016, 09:29:06 PM »

Put the bong down.

Hahahaha

hihi

I STILL DONT UNDERSTAND THE ANALOGY THOUGH. LOL

A step down musically? Slash helped create the music. The position he took over from presumably was DJ?Huh So the statement about it being a step down musically?? really? I need a bong to process it.  Cheesy
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2016, 10:16:11 PM »

Put the bong down.

Hahahaha

hihi

I STILL DONT UNDERSTAND THE ANALOGY THOUGH. LOL

A step down musically? Slash helped create the music. The position he took over from presumably was DJ?Huh So the statement about it being a step down musically?? really? I need a bong to process it.  Cheesy

i want a custom gnr bong. that would be something awesome to see in the nightrain store. it could even have "loaded like a freight train" written on it. please fernando! pleeeaaase!

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »

Cough cough... Let me try to explain myself. Yes, Slash is the man on the Apetite and Illusions (& Lies) material. No doubt about it. It is awesome seeing (& especially HEARING) him play those songs with GnR again. I guess what I meant by saying it was a step back musically was with potential NEW music. I am not one of those people who wants the next GnR album to sound just like "Appetite". I loved when "Illusions" came out; it continued on what I felt was possible with the band after hearing Rocket Queen. And I loved Chinese Democracy. I wish (like all of us here) that the band had released more new music; I felt the 3 guitar assault was capable of anything. Even live, I think some of the Appetite songs (Nightrain, PC) sound weaker now than they have in recent years. I am by no means a fan of Ashba (although girls I've taken to shows seem to love him), and I thought his playing was atrocious on classic-era material, but I thought his solo on TIL was better than any versions I've heard from Slash so far (including the show I was at). And I thought that would be one he would really nail. Now I think they should drop that one; I would love to hear his take on SOD.
 Anyway, my original comment was more about the band's musically direction going forward.
Now where's that bong?

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2016, 10:58:03 PM »

I do see your point, inlikeflynn420.

I guess another way to look at it is like this.  Always thought the new band sounded the best on the new songs.  The classic songs never sounded quite right to me.  Sounded like someone else trying to play them the way we knew them.  Which, let's face it, is what it was.

Now, I do suppose roles are reversed.  'Estranged' sounds right again, but now 'This I Love' sounds a bit off.

I just think that is a mix of there only being 3 songs that are "off", instead of the majority of the set.  And, cards on the table, I think people (myself, 100% included) are more willing to roll with the classic material being on point and the newer stuff still being a work in progress than the opposite.

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2016, 11:18:19 PM »

Cough cough... Let me try to explain myself. Yes, Slash is the man on the Apetite and Illusions (& Lies) material. No doubt about it. It is awesome seeing (& especially HEARING) him play those songs with GnR again. I guess what I meant by saying it was a step back musically was with potential NEW music. I am not one of those people who wants the next GnR album to sound just like "Appetite". I loved when "Illusions" came out; it continued on what I felt was possible with the band after hearing Rocket Queen. And I loved Chinese Democracy. I wish (like all of us here) that the band had released more new music; I felt the 3 guitar assault was capable of anything. Even live, I think some of the Appetite songs (Nightrain, PC) sound weaker now than they have in recent years. I am by no means a fan of Ashba (although girls I've taken to shows seem to love him), and I thought his playing was atrocious on classic-era material, but I thought his solo on TIL was better than any versions I've heard from Slash so far (including the show I was at). And I thought that would be one he would really nail. Now I think they should drop that one; I would love to hear his take on SOD.
 Anyway, my original comment was more about the band's musically direction going forward.
Now where's that bong?

Its all about opinions... cheers for clarifying where you were coming from.

I think its a little bit like what DX said above... Slash being back means the AFD and Illusions stuff is back on point and sounding how it should sound.. at least in most peoples opinion.

In regards to the CD stuff and i have never made any secret of my lack of caring for that stuff.. i can see where you are coming from. But as DX said above.. most people would take that trade off. I know i personally would. But yeah i do see where you are coming from, CD just personally doesnt mean that much to me i guess. I'll be the first to admit, when these live shows started, and i wanted to hear what type of shape Axl's voice was in for example, i went straight to Jungle to check the opening growl. Simple??? yeahhhh very simple.. but to me, how Axl and the band sounds in terms of their performance u can usually tell whether they are on or not by that song. (ps.. i know this has deviated from your post above now)... but the point im making i guess is.. if i want to tell people how slash sounded in general at one of these shows... im not pointing out TIL to people.. im pointing out Jungle.. or SCOM or YCBM... because those songs are obviously what the casual fan understands. Us hardcore fans i get are different though.

Its all about opinions though.

Ps.. Someone get Fernando to get a GNR bong instore please. Wink

inlikeflynn420
Rocker

« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2016, 11:20:52 PM »

Well put DX! I totally agree with everything you said. It really is like 2 bands playing each others' music. I do miss the third guitar on some of the songs, but having Richard instead of, say, Gilby, does add some punch. He is one hell of a "rhythm" guitarist. Yes, hearing the old stuff played "right" is most important. Slash does have a natural, loose feel that fits those songs better.  But I do want to hear some CD songs, so I hope Slash gets it together on those. I do think some of those tunes (but not all) would sound killer with his take on them

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
GNRMTL
Headliner

« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2016, 11:23:33 PM »

Can't believe what I started lol. Opinions are like assholes we all got one.  Personally I'm digging the way slash plays the CD era songs, especially Cd.

Miami 92
Montreal 92
Toronto 02
4 nights at the Hammerstein
Ottowa 06
Montreal 10
Hiro 12
Miami Filmore 12
Montreal 13
New Jersey 16
Montreal 17
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27 Go Up Print