Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110619 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »

The Coachella version did seem to fit more. While not the original TIL solo, it did seemed more natural than the Vegas versions.

I think he is still figuring this one out.    By the end of the tour its going to be amazing.
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »

The Coachella version did seem to fit more. While not the original TIL solo, it did seemed more natural than the Vegas versions.

I think he is still figuring this one out.    By the end of the tour its going to be amazing.

The April 19 Mexico City show tore up! Holy Cow. It was a clinic.

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2016, 11:21:12 AM »

The April 19 Mexico City show tore up! Holy Cow. It was a clinic.

Last night even better!  Each show better.  WTF... CRAZY

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »

When you hear Slash on it, you could say his solo doesn't flow with the song as seamlessly, but I thought that was a good thing. It stands out. It's powerful. This I Love drips with melancholy, but Slash's guitar also has a tone of defiance. The noodling was as if celebrating the music and moment of the song, and it built and built in such a way that it was triumphant. It didn't compliment the song but rather completed it, which is after all what we saw on all the classic songs. Listen to the lyrics and you'll hear Axl singing not about a hopelessly lost or uncertain love, but one that he knows is not yet gone. He knows about the little light she can't deny. He's obviously in the darkest and most heartbroken of places but Axl's lyrics have a defiance and confidence to them, and it turns out that's why, more than anything, I missed Slash in GNR. Because Slash's guitar always sounds like Axl's attitude.
Whoa. Maybe you thought too much about it. 

Of course you can relate anything to the lyrics that way. If Slash just went through feedback noise, you could say it's because the pain is so deep that makes us uncomfortable. Tongue

The point to me is that there's so much you can do in a song to make it everything work together. The way I feel is that Slash just got the beginning and the rest he made up on the fly, jamming with the band. He sure is entitled to improvise and do what he wants to do, of course. I just wish this song should get a more streamlined and well thought solo.

Agree 100%

Just because it's Slash playing, doesn't mean it will always be good

Take Yesterdays' solo from Mexico last night for example. In my opinion Slash butchered it with nonsense shredding.

The thing I hated the most about Buckethead and Bumblefoot is that all their solos was just a showcase of their abilities, in other words, just nonsense noodling.

Not bashing Slash, though, he's awesome
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »

Mmh...well most people will agree there are quite some "tecnically better" guitarists on the planet.
Sorry I just couldn't get myself to support a guy with a KFC basket on his head IN GnR.
He might be a GREAT guitarist - was just too much for me, sorry. 😂
Bumble is a huge force - no doubt. I loved his way of just talking to the fans...whatever...
Slash is just Slash. And I love him for that! Fuck perfectionism!
Every time I have seen HIM play - I got goosebumps, the hair on my arm went up...
It's just Slash. 😂

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »

Take Yesterdays' solo from Mexico last night for example. In my opinion Slash butchered it with nonsense shredding.
Yeah, I wish he would've played like the regular studio solo. Its simple, but its amazing.

Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »

Yeah, I wish he would've played like the regular studio solo. Its simple, but its amazing.

Yes, sometime less is more

Slash is technically more accurate now. He used to be a little sloppy back in the day, probably because he played while he was drunk, or worse  hihi

His playing is really focused now, and he has improved A LOT on the shredding part. But sometimes he should stick to the basics. Yesterday's solo is one of my favorite Guns solos, mainly because of the build up it has. And Slash killed it last night
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »

Slash  poor attempt at replicating Bucket Head solo, he even worse whit Robins fill in the first half of TWAT . rofl

WTF with Slash shredding ? Where is the soul playing blues stuff he is the King at ?
Slash needs to stop to fuck around and bring his A game HE CAN DO IT BETTER !
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:28:00 PM by KIKO2K6 » Logged

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »

Anyone who doesn't think Slash crushed TWAT (and Better & Chi Dem for that matter) is high.  confused

Dude knocks them all out of the park and breathes new life into them.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »

Slash does help the CD songs. It is just more my preference. The CD songs has a very different feel to them from AFD/UYI stuff.

Slash brings a side effect like feel to them. Different, but still good.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »

Slash does help the CD songs. It is just more my preference. The CD songs has a very different feel to them from AFD/UYI stuff.

Slash brings a side effect like feel to them. Different, but still good.

The new intro to Better is just badass.  And I love his more "grungey" Chi Dem intro.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »

Anyone who doesn't think Slash crushed TWAT (and Better & Chi Dem for that matter) is high.  confused

Dude knocks them all out of the park and breathes new life into them.
Everyone who doesn't share your opinion is high? Tongue

I think Slash did a better job in CD and Better. Not so much on TIL. TWAT was great, but I got somewhat confused by the audio quality to proper judge it.

Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2016, 05:52:57 PM »

In my opinion, Slash's job on TIL is complete shit. It feels like he has never player that song, and is just improvising over it.

That being said, I never thought the other live versions of this song's solo did it justice. The best version is the studio one, by far
GNFNR-UK
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »

Sorry but Slash made a complete mess of the Buckethead TWAT solo, I thought he would too if I'm honest, it's not his style... I thought he would do a better job of the Finck solo though because that IS in his style but he messed up on that one too. In his defense it's his first time playing them and I hope he will improve. Bumblefoots first attempt at the tricky BH TWAT solo at Hammerstein Ballroom in 2006 wasn't great either but towards the end he was really nailing it but I guess it's closer to his style of playing as well.

Previously GNFNRUK, long time poster at HTGTH who forgot his password and had 500+ posts, ooops!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2016, 10:36:03 PM »

If I wanted to hear a solo sound note for the note like the record, I would skip going to a live show and just stay home and listen to the album.

I am not just saying that because Slash is taking liberties with the "CD" stuff, I say that about all the bands I am a fan of.  I hate when an artist plays something note for note like the record.  That is why I never took issue with DJ, Robin, Richard, Ron or Bucket doing their own takes on the old Guns stuff.  Anybody can just mimic a solo, cover bands do that in bars on a daily basis.

I don't think Slash butchered the solo of "Yesterdays", he was live and in the moment.  Just because he played it a certain way in a studio in 1991 doesn't mean he has to mimic those exact notes for the rest of his life.
ThatGuy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »

Slash's solo at the end of TWAT brought tears to my eyes. I thought it was great... and it's the first time he's played it live...

imagine this, top rolled down, 4 pumps of l.a. looks in your hair, crusing down the highway, getting roadhead while jamming You Could Be Mine!
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2016, 05:46:45 PM »

I don't think Slash butchered the solo of "Yesterdays", he was live and in the moment.  Just because he played it a certain way in a studio in 1991 doesn't mean he has to mimic those exact notes for the rest of his life.

I agree. But some solos are so iconic that they should be played like the recording. How would you feel if Slash started to improvise on November Rain, or Estranged?
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »

I agree. But some solos are so iconic that they should be played like the recording. How would you feel if Slash started to improvise on November Rain, or Estranged?

I'd feel alright, I've heard these songs so many times a fresh take is nice. But I understand with people paying big bucks to see these shows for the first time wanting the solos to hit the spots they are used to.

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
McKenzie
Headliner

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2016, 07:26:35 PM »

Btw, when will Slash stop messing up the end of November Rain solo #1?  Tongue
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2016, 08:19:54 PM »

where are you hearing Coachella second weekend? I can't find TWAT played by slash anywhere.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: