Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:37:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110662 times)
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »

Slash is shooting for something on the TIL solo.  He is not just noodling for noodles sake (lol).  Like I have said before, I think the people that are having a difficult time with what he played do not enjoy it because they expect the solo to be closer to what they expect to hear.  I do not believe that Slash will play those songs in the style of anyone other than himself.  And in my opinion, he has more than earned the right to do it his way.

I think it is akin to the people that formed an emotional attacment to the pre-release earlier versions of the leaks and preferred them over the Album versions.

People are very much creatures of habit, most aren't fans of change, even in a song's arrangement and solo.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2016, 02:52:06 PM »

I think it is akin to the people that formed an emotional attacment to the pre-release earlier versions of the leaks and preferred them over the Album versions.

People are very much creatures of habit, most aren't fans of change, even in a song's arrangement and solo.

Very true, right here.

The RIR III concert is, to this day, my favorite versions of those new songs. 

Because I listened to them non-stop for 6 years before I had the leaks of those 3 tunes, and then had to wait another year for the album.

I thought all 3 degraded over time.  But likely because I had gotten so use to them the other way.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Reunion2016
Opening Act

« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »

I missed that tone.  The band as whole sounds electrifying.  Axl is a trooper with his injury.  Couldn't be happier  to see the best fucking band in the world strut.   This tour is going to rock.  #GnFnR

I agree. Also, Slash brings an energy to the band that is evident from the moment he starts playing. It was great hearing the fans react when Slash emerged from being his amps a few seconds into "It's So Easy" in Vegas.
siraddam
Headliner

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »

the band has been revitalised thanks to Slash! All the haters of Slash on this board have conveniently changed their tune, and now say that band sound amazing again, which they do.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2016, 04:18:30 PM »

the band has been revitalised thanks to Slash! All the haters of Slash on this board have conveniently changed their tune, and now say that band sound amazing again, which they do.
oh good lawd. and you're serious, aren't you! lmao

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »

The thing with Slash is this...

He hadn't been in the band in almost 20 years. In that time a lot of newer fans kinda jumped on the post 1997 Gn'R. Which didn't include Slash. People liked the old Guns stuff sure and respected Slash's work, but it was always easy to side or to stick with Axl since he was the survivor of Gn'R's demise. I mean everyone left from the original lineup.

It would be pretty easy to focus on the current post 1997 band, and just love that. And that is what people did. I know I did. I loved it until the 2005ish area and I got old of waiting. Still, guess who was buying multiple copies of CD the day it came out? Yep me!

I must confirm what someone else has said, this board... was largely against Slash or didn't like talking about him or whatever. Really strange. Like 1/2 of the people here over the years have said something really negative about VR, Slash, his solo stuff etc... It was very much like Slash had been banished from Gn'R lore in some ways.

Anything mentioned of Axl in a negative way was flamed on, while SLash was tolerated much more.

I simply think most people blame Slash for the friction that was Gn'R's demise in the mid 90s.

Whoever and whatever it was... no one really cares now outside of human interest and trivial purposes. Great things are happening. While it is interesting, and always fun to discuss... none of it matters at this moment. Not now.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »

Hahaha!  hihi

GNR have always sounded amazing, from 1985-2016.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »

...tell someone you are going to see them this summer.

Then compare it to when you said you were going to see them 5 years ago.

That difference in reaction is "the thing with Slash".

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »

Preach.

Christ, Axl was in a cast and a wheelchair (albeit a tricked out one), and I hadn't seen him look this happy and full of energy in a long time.  He looked like he was at peace...and he sounded fucking amazing. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »

Preach.

Christ, Axl was in a cast and a wheelchair (albeit a tricked out one), and I hadn't seen him look this happy and full of energy in a long time.  He looked like he was at peace...and he sounded fucking amazing. 

I don't see how that is debatable.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2016, 05:11:33 PM »

oh good lawd. and you're serious, aren't you! lmao

You do realize if the roles were reversed, this board would be flooded with "thank god Axl is back" threads.  You do recognize that, I hope.

Its not about one guy versus the other.  Its about having the band back sounding like the band that made us all fans, lo those many moons ago.

It takes both men.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »

Its not about one guy versus the other.  Its about having the band back sounding like the band that made us all fans, lo those many moons ago.

It takes both men.
THIS is exactly the point!  ok

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2016, 05:23:12 PM »

It takes both men.
THIS is exactly the point!  ok

You know, you say that.

Yet if I, or anyone else, were to say "it finally sounds like Guns N' Roses again", you'd take issue with it, would you not?

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »

No matter what...

this will always be a Axl vs. Slash thing.

It just will be. Deep down it will be. Always will. No matter how many of you decide to deny it.

I honestly like them both, together they are great, apart they are good.

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »

No matter what...

Disagree. 

It will always be about replacement line-ups getting their due and never, under any circumstances, not be seen as equals.

That will always be the crux of the heat.

One sided heat though.  If that is your deal, you will forever search any and all comments for slights, real or perceived.

The rest of us are just too happy to care about that nonsense.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »

You know, you say that.

Yet if I, or anyone else, were to say "it finally sounds like Guns N' Roses again", you'd take issue with it, would you not?

Yes. I would take issue with the words "finally" and "again".

Just listening to any era of GNR doing any song, I could not tell you if it's Slash playing guitar or Richard or BH or Robin or BBF or Ashba.  But 95% of the time, I could tell you it's Axl singing!  To me it has always sounded like GNR because I recognize Axl's voice.

Strangely, I think I could maybe tell the difference if it's Dizzy playing the piano vs Axl playing piano.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2016, 05:42:19 PM »

You can't tell the difference between Slash and Ashba??

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2016, 05:45:43 PM »

You can't tell the difference between Slash and Ashba??

No. Honestly I can't.  To my ears, 70% of the time the guitar solos sound like someone having 'relations' with a cat and the cat is NOT enjoying it.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »

No matter what...

Disagree. 

It will always be about replacement line-ups getting their due and never, under any circumstances, not be seen as equals.

That will always be the crux of the heat.

One sided heat though.  If that is your deal, you will forever search any and all comments for slights, real or perceived.

The rest of us are just too happy to care about that nonsense.

I could care less right now, but that is the orgin of all the controversy/warped minds. It just is, then after that the lineup stuff you talked about comes into play. I really think that Axl and Slash and all the bad vibes through the years is always going to be a point of contention. Hard to say that it will not.

It isn't my deal, I'm loving it all, it's just people are still kinda slighting Slash a little here and there, and it is allowed lol

On another note, yeah there's a massive difference between AShba and Slash.

But don't damn me
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »

To me, as someone who has played the guitar for 16 years now, I can hear right away who's playing

Slash has a more loose way of playin'.. Sure, he repeats a lot of licks, but his sound, his tone, and those licks are what GNR are

Bumble and Bucket are extremely technical guitar players, and they can play pretty much everything you hand to them. But it sounds too mechanical and "right" all the time, if you know what I mean.

Robin, is VERY sloppy. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and his style, but his playing is undeniably sloppy

DJ has no personality in his playing whatsoever

And Fortus... Well, Fortus is a pretty good rhythm guitar player, and he can also solo pretty well. But his lead suffers a little bit from the same problem as Bucket and Bumble. He does fit GNR though.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: