Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:37:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110664 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2016, 11:28:08 PM »

I'll yearstake Slash over him in GN'R any day, but Bucket really was the next best thing for GN'R.

Oh, I'd agree.

I was too quick to dismiss him as a freak.  But the time I heard his work on the album, I was blown away.

Of course...he'd been gone, for 6 years by that point.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2016, 01:30:30 AM »

I think it's great that Slash is back in the band, although kinda weird for me. I was a huge fan back in the day, loved Snakepit and VR, but thought he got lazy in recent years. Never missed Slash at any live shows since '06, and honestly thought having him back would possibly be a step back in a purely musical sense. It is undeniable that Slash+Axl=greater than both of them seperately, which is great for the popularity of the band. And I was impressed with Slash's playing; I think Richard will push him to play at a high level. However...the low point of the show for me (Friday night) was Slash on "Better". Didn't work for me. Also thought DJ's solo on TIL was better live (& I would've never guessed that). And without the third guitar, "Nightrain" & "Paradise City" sounded not nearly as heavy as in recent years. Yes, it's cool that Slash is back; it's great for the band, and already Axl is getting great reviews just by association, which is awesome. I would like to hear some new music, and I would really like to hear Slash's take on "Street of Dreams". I just hope that Axl, Duff and Slash are having a great time playing together. Still weird, but cool, to see them all up there together again.

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2016, 01:44:23 AM »

Why cant some people be happy...And why Bash past members .... so childish.. peace

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2016, 05:33:34 AM »

I'll yearstake Slash over him in GN'R any day, but Bucket really was the next best thing for GN'R.

Oh, I'd agree.

I was too quick to dismiss him as a freak.  But the time I heard his work on the album, I was blown away.

Of course...he'd been gone, for 6 years by that point.

I think this was the case with many fans in the early 00's. And many of them just saw Bucket as a replacement for Slash and shot him down just because of that. It could have been pretty much anyone taking that spot and he would have been shot down the same way, people being blind to what they had. Of course the "freakiness" of Buckethead gave one more reason to make fun of him.

Maybe if CD would have been released earlier with BH still in the band, it might have been different, but who knows. What happened in 98?08 seems like a huge mess...

Why cant some people be happy...And why Bash past members .... so childish.. peace

People seem to be pretty happy at the moment Wink

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2016, 09:15:26 AM »

To think that some of us should just sit back and only say positive things is dumb.

I myself has been very positive. It's been great.

At the same time this is a great great time for people to reflect on things. It's just a great time in general to talk things up.

Most of us are focusing on the present and future. Don't overstate it. Talking about past members is just fine, just be respectful about it and don't bash anything in a direct way.

I mean I still prefer Robin's solo on CD album to Slash's on "This I Love" and I'm a middle of the road CD era fan. I thought the Vegas shows were great overall. Don't be blind and think that no one "could" be critical of things. It is possible.

We're all happy, but we are all so passionate that maybe we want to talk things through. That is what is so fun right? Just we all have to be respectful. I've learned that the hard way.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »

Someone said here that the band was always about not only music, but the look too. I think this sums up everything. People judged Buckethead and Robin because of their look, and that never really went away. I remember well when Robin came back in 2006 without his goth look and people actually thought he was playing better - hell, there were people saying he "learn how to play" in the downtime.

So yeah, Slash and Duff back in the band brought the look and feel of GNR's brand. I believe Axl already wanted some of that when Ashba came back to the band, but it wasn't the same thing.

And I trully believe that this makes a huge impact on people's general opinion on CD songs. I think no matter what Slash plays, it will always be better just because it's him. I disagree, I just think Slash can do a better job IMHO but each to their own. Fair enough, I guess.

And without the third guitar, "Nightrain" & "Paradise City" sounded not nearly as heavy as in recent years. Yes, it's cool that Slash is back; it's great for the band, and already Axl is getting great reviews just by association, which is awesome. I would like to hear some new music, and I would really like to hear Slash's take on "Street of Dreams". I just hope that Axl, Duff and Slash are having a great time playing together. Still weird, but cool, to see them all up there together again.
It's true, Nightrain lacks the energy it once had. Still, Sweet Child O' Mine is great again. With Ashba and Bumblefoot trading the solos it was really low powered, it just lost the energy in the build up to the outro. Slash took it back and you can see the reaction of the crowd and it's trully amazing. And like I said before, Rocket Queen seemed to benefit most with his return, in my opinion.

And you're 100% right about Axl getting great reviews by association. I don't think that's fair, but well, at last he's getting some good rep back.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »

I agree. There is no doubt that the appearance lends to how the whole package feels and sounds.

Slash and Duff bring credibility in so many ways such as appearance and authenticity that could not be matched by previous players despite their talents. 

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2016, 02:45:37 AM »

One thing Slash and Duff are going to bring (and it really shouldn't be this way) is a credibility so to speak when it comes to the "Chinese Democracy" songs.  No matter how much we here on the  message boards disagree with it, the fact is a lot of fans refused to even acknowledge "Chinese Democracy" as a GNR album because Slash wasn't on it.  These are the same fans that have come out of the woodwork the last few months and are making it a lot harder to get good tickets to the shows.    The fact that the band continues to play those songs only cements it as a proper Guns N Roses album.  I spoke with a lot of fans over the weekend in Vegas and it was astounding to me how many of them never even listened to anything off of "Chinese" let alone purchased a copy.  These were passionate fans of the band, many of them flew in  from all over the country to shell out a lot of money on tickets to these shows.

This is my theory; I think that Slash and Duff being back in the band is going to make a lot of these people look at "Chinese Democracy" differently.  Instead of just being pissed off at the very idea of the record because it's a reminder Slash isn't in the band, some fans will now give it a chance, especially after hearing the songs live.   I hope this happens, as I have said for the past 8 years that "Chinese Democracy" is an amazing album with some of the greatest GNR songs ever on it.  It is a shame that so many people have been missing out on these songs because they stubbornly refused to acknowledge the record. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:48:25 AM by Bodhi » Logged
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2016, 03:23:04 AM »

Bodhi, so you're saying there are die hard fans who haven't even listened to one of the albums by the band? Must be real die hards then.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2016, 06:11:12 AM »

Someone said here that the band was always about not only music, but the look too. I think this sums up everything. People judged Buckethead and Robin because of their look, and that never really went away. I remember well when Robin came back in 2006 without his goth look and people actually thought he was playing better - hell, there were people saying he "learn how to play" in the downtime.

So yeah, Slash and Duff back in the band brought the look and feel of GNR's brand. I believe Axl already wanted some of that when Ashba came back to the band, but it wasn't the same thing.

To be honest, at first when I saw those guys I was like WTF since I don't really dig the freak stuff that started happening mid 90's. I have never been into the comic book character psycho look. However, I think I have really been fair in judging their playing and style, since I like a lot of different types of music. But I could never get into their style of playing. Buckethead's playing does nothing for me. I checked his new music again yesterday just to see if I can get into it. But it just sounds like metal elevator music to me.

The same goes for Robin's playing. I can actually appreciate the guy's looks, so that didn't bother me. However, his way of playing just didn't make sense to me. Too left of center without a real good reason (it's just opinion btw, not saying that's TRUE). Like abstract art, I don't get that either. It seems to be weird for the sake of being weird. No added value. And with DJ Ashba I did like his playing a bit better, but the guy looked and acted like GnR was a circus act (the WTTJ intro live).

And to me, that sums up what has been missing from GnR for so long: a guy that can get by with just his playing. These three all had to resort to weird ass looks just to be noticed. Slash didn't. His playing did and does all the work for him. As was very clear during last weekend's shows: the most stripped down setting, looks and approach in a very long time. Seems to me that works the best.

My point is: these other guitarists are definitely good musicians who fill a niche. But they were just never that great of a match with GnR and what it in its core was/is: old school rock 'n roll.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:13:00 AM by FreddieJames » Logged

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »

I agree with many points on this thread.  Bottom line is CD songs played by slash makes the album a true guns n roses album.  I remember being at 2011 Miami show and the majority of fans were aggravated by the solos by Bumble, fortis, ashba, and even Dizzy, while with slash and duff in band, now in general, people are excited about slash and duff and their solos and jams.....  The CD album is an Axl album without slash, or a new Gunner album, but with slash.... We have a gnr album now that followed UYI..
This is of course only how I feel, but for me, CD is much more official now that the 3 of the originals play it.
And as much as Izzy is an integral part of the band's history, if izzy duff and Axl toured without slash, gnr would not be given the hype and credit they have.  It truly is all about slash and Axl playing together...
In the end, I was satisfied with new GNR and so thankful for Axl continuing our favorite band, but slash playing is magical and the entire world is taking notice of the greatest rock band ever!
So thanksgiving came early this year!!!

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »

My point is: these other guitarists are definitely good musicians who fill a niche. But they were just never that great of a match with GnR and what it in its core was/is: old school rock 'n roll.
I understand you. Disagree about Robin (he didnt even keep his weird look in 2006/07) and Ashba (couldnt like anything the guy plays), but I get how you feel. But I was refering to people who changed their minds based only on the looks. It happened a lot, and it's still happening now.

I'm not saying Slash's playing isn't a huge part of GNR sound - it is. I know it is, I started to play guitar because of the guy. It still sounds awesome to me. And when people cheer when they hear him playing some high notes bend in the very ending of his solo in Estranged, it's because people can listen clearly to a signature tone from a legend. That's awesome and still give me chills.

This is my theory; I think that Slash and Duff being back in the band is going to make a lot of these people look at "Chinese Democracy" differently.  Instead of just being pissed off at the very idea of the record because it's a reminder Slash isn't in the band, some fans will now give it a chance, especially after hearing the songs live.   I hope this happens, as I have said for the past 8 years that "Chinese Democracy" is an amazing album with some of the greatest GNR songs ever on it.  It is a shame that so many people have been missing out on these songs because they stubbornly refused to acknowledge the record. 
I don't know about that. I think people would look different to the songs being played live with Slash, not on the record as it is. Hopefully I'm wrong and the album gets its fair chance now.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »

Bodhi, so you're saying there are die hard fans who haven't even listened to one of the albums by the band? Must be real die hards then.

I agree with your point 100%.  However for fans to pay flight and hotel on top of higher than average ticket prices for the weekend, they are more than the average fan of the band.  I was shocked at the amount who hadn't heard "CD" or in some cases listened to it once. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people whose favorite band is Guns N Roses who refused to listen to "Chinese Demcoracy" and did not go see the band at any point since 2002.   The band is playing stadiums now , and they are not going to be filled with new fans, these are fans who have been there for a long time.  I have a friend who saw them several times on the "Illusion" tour, I gave him a copy of "CD" and he still hasn't gotten around to listening to the whole thing.  He has tickets for the upcoming tour though.

I think a lot of us on the board here have probably noticed a little more activity in text messages and emails the last few weeks right?  We have been the ones going on and on about the band on a daily basis for the last 20 years and now people are coming to us for information on dates and how to get tix etc.. I have seen a few of you post similar stories in other threads.

My original point was hopefully with Slash back and playing the songs whatever negativity a lot of fans had towards "Chinese" would dissipate and they can give the record a proper chance now.  Them playing the songs breaks down that wall of GNR vs NUGNR, it's just GNR.   Once again all of us on the boards already knew this, but now more of the general audience might get with the program.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:35:39 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »

[/quote]

I prefer that to what he played the first night but I think he needs to actually come up with a solo for this song and stick to it (if he refuses to play the original one or a version of it like Ashba did), at the moment it sounds like he's blindly noodling his way through it, there's no real structure there. It's not memorable at all like the original was.
[/quote]

Hi guys,

Here's my first post Smiley

I'm actually quite surprised that people on this forum haven't gone deeper into what this guy says about Slash. Look at the classic Guns n Roses stuff, Slash wrote and created amazing solos, especially for the ballads: SCOM, Estranged, November Rain... Except for the outro to Better, all he does to Chinese Democracy song is shred. Now it's not too bad on the rockier songs, but what he does to This I Love is horrible. Think that I'm also certain that Fink was thinking about Slash's work when he wrote that solo; there's emotion, perfectly played high notes and skill. Also look at what he did to Slash's solos when he was in GNR: he kept the base and added his own bits. This I Love has a lovely melody (check out the piano/keyboards) on which Fink based the first part of his solo and then goes on to something different. I'm not at all against Slash playing his own version or even totally changing the solo; but there is no base, no melody and no "feel" to either of the versions he played in Vegas.

Slash's laziness and sloppiness ruins one of GNR's songs, whereas I'm sure he's capable of playing his own exceptional piece of work. Personally, that's part of why Izzy is so important, especially when writing new songs. Izzy is organized, structured and with someone like that, Slash can do his bit. Without Izzy, I can't see any decent music being created except for some of Axl's masterpieces.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »

they are coming out of the woodwork now.... Roll Eyes

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »

they are coming out of the woodwork now.... Roll Eyes

While his post didn't have much substance, and I disagree with it... don't disregard him because it's his first post. Everything has a right to say what they think. It was disrespecful and I again... disagreed with what he said, but you're basically blowing his post off because he has a post count of 1.

Who cares? Reply to it accordingly or don't reply at all.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
jc_seven
Opening Act

« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »

Slash is shooting for something on the TIL solo.  He is not just noodling for noodles sake (lol).  Like I have said before, I think the people that are having a difficult time with what he played do not enjoy it because they expect the solo to be closer to what they expect to hear.  I do not believe that Slash will play those songs in the style of anyone other than himself.  And in my opinion, he has more than earned the right to do it his way.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »

However for fans to pay flight and hotel on top of higher than average ticket prices for the weekend, they are more than the average fan of the band.  I was shocked at the amount who hadn't heard "CD" or in some cases listened to it once. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people whose favorite band is Guns N Roses who refused to listen to "Chinese Demcoracy" and did not go see the band at any point since 2002.   The band is playing stadiums now , and they are not going to be filled with new fans, these are fans who have been there for a long time.  I have a friend who saw them several times on the "Illusion" tour, I gave him a copy of "CD" and he still hasn't gotten around to listening to the whole thing.  He has tickets for the upcoming tour though.

I think a lot of us on the board here have probably noticed a little more activity in text messages and emails the last few weeks right?  We have been the ones going on and on about the band on a daily basis for the last 20 years and now people are coming to us for information on dates and how to get tix etc.. I have seen a few of you post similar stories in other threads.

My original point was hopefully with Slash back and playing the songs whatever negativity a lot of fans had towards "Chinese" would dissipate and they can give the record a proper chance now.  Them playing the songs breaks down that wall of GNR vs NUGNR, it's just GNR.   Once again all of us on the boards already knew this, but now more of the general audience might get with the program.

Bodhi, on point, yet again.

I have haven't talked as much GNR with other human beings (in other words, not just you guys online) in the past few months than I have since high school.  Which, for me, was 21 years ago.

That's no accident, nor some hard to figure out mystery.  People didn't dig CD.  Either didn't like it once they heard it, didn't even give it a chance, whichever.  It did not land, ultimately.

Do I think people will give the album a fresh listen or a second chance though?  Not really.  The people that think the way they've thought see CD as a total wrong turn by Axl and that is unlikely to really change.  At least, in my opinion.

They may not outright boo CD stuff at the concerts, or maybe not even sit down.  But, for a lot of folks, I bet that night at the show is the only time they hear them.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »

Slash is shooting for something on the TIL solo.  He is not just noodling for noodles sake (lol).  Like I have said before, I think the people that are having a difficult time with what he played do not enjoy it because they expect the solo to be closer to what they expect to hear.  I do not believe that Slash will play those songs in the style of anyone other than himself.  And in my opinion, he has more than earned the right to do it his way.

I agree.  I think he's still working it out.

My suspicion is that by tour's end in August, it will be a more distinct and consistent take on the song than we have gotten so far.

Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »

I agree.  I think he's still working it out.

My suspicion is that by tour's end in August, it will be a more distinct and consistent take on the song than we have gotten so far.

If you read my post, you'll see that I think he is totally capable of doing it his way, but where's the melody, the sense? The November Rain solo is amazing, as are the Estranged solos; which is why "This I Love" is such a disaster. The licks he does at the end of Chinese Democracy  and that rundown are quite impressive for example. The two versions of This I Love are totally improvised and such a great song deserves a classic Slash solo. Hopefully, as you say, we will get it.

Regarding the first and second reply I got, don't mistake me for a Slash-hater. I'm a classic GNR fan who loved Chinese Democracy, appreciates all the guitarists work, was luck enough to see GNR on the 2006 tour and blew me away (I only went because of Axl but was amazed by the whole band's professionality and feel), joined Nightrain and can't wait to see the classic lineup if and when they come to Europe. However, I found and find it very strange that hardly anyone has commented with positive criticism to Slash's work on CD songs. I play the guitar and I'm sure many others do and my observations seem quite simple and realistic  Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: