Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110743 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2016, 10:42:06 AM »

one thing Ive noticed is how focused Slash is, and how smooth his playing is compared to Ashba and Former members. He's got really strong fingers and loose wrists that make his playing look effortless.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2016, 11:07:32 AM »

His This I Love started better last night than in the Friday IMHO. But then it got some noodling. Seems like he's just jamming around indeed.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »

One thing Slash definitely makes better is the CD intro. IMO it has never sounded as good as at it has these 2 shows.  smoking

I like that the 1 minute instrumental intro is gone as well, jumps right into that mean riff.

Its a good, tight rocker without that dopey pretentious intro.

Its now sounding more like that 2001 version.  And I have no complaints about that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »

His This I Love started better last night than in the Friday IMHO. But then it got some noodling. Seems like he's just jamming around indeed.

I do agree his version of This I love needs work, he needs to stick to the melody, because it is a very distinct solo. Its not just energy poured out, it has a structure.

Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2016, 11:41:38 AM »

The Better solo sounded much better at the second night. Mainly because Slash played it with his own style. Robins guitar playing style is not suitable for him.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2016, 11:51:20 AM »

Duff singing the ''No one ever told me'' part fits the song perfectly, it always felt like it should've been sung by someone else. Im glad he sings it !!

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceIIov7ptYc

at the 4:17 mark I do think Slash does this little solo very well adding his own flavour.

jc_seven
Opening Act

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »

Slash did Slash. I cannot understand why anyone would believe that he would play these songs in the style of someone else. Whether in your opinion he made it better or made it worse (or neither and he just did a good job), it is just an opinion and not a fact. I thought he did a great job on TIL. Not better or worse but he did it the Slash way and it worked.

NOBODY is saying Slash should play like someone else.  People are giving their opinions on who's version is better.

When someone says that Slash ruined a song, or seemed lost, it sounds to me like they are basing that on expecting to hear what they have perceived as "the" solo or guitar part of the song; the established version, if you will. But hey, you are probably right and on a whole, I am reading this incorrectly.
jc_seven
Opening Act

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »

Duff singing the ''No one ever told me'' part fits the song perfectly, it always felt like it should've been sung by someone else. Im glad he sings it !!

I really enjoyed how Duff and Melissa's backing vocals sounded on Better.
GNFNR-UK
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2016, 01:11:01 PM »

Slash sent BBF, Bucket and Finck to fetch his top hat, cigarettes, and strippers last night as he reclaimed his position atop his guitar universe then proceeded to crush ?Better? and sign ?This I Love.?  Then, when they returned from their assignments, he said, ?Boys, TYVFM.  Ashba is waiting on the other side of town itching to sell you a pair of pants.?

I realise this is a joke but I'm surprised at people undermining Buckethead's guitar skills round here. I can only assume these people aren't that familiar with his solo work, the guy is a phenomenal guitarist, his image didn't suit GNR but there's no denying his talent, Axl sought him out for a reason.

Go and listen to 'Soothsayer' by Buckethead, Slash WOULD struggle playing parts of that I guarantee you.

Previously GNFNRUK, long time poster at HTGTH who forgot his password and had 500+ posts, ooops!
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2016, 01:22:47 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceIIov7ptYc

at the 4:17 mark I do think Slash does this little solo very well adding his own flavour.

Got to be honest I miss the old solo. Was probably my favorite along with the one on Sorry. I loved Ron's live backing vocals on this song as well.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »

Honestly an exact replication of the original would not have been right.
Slash's own take on it is both expected and professional
Cool stuff
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2016, 02:13:41 PM »

Slash sent BBF, Bucket and Finck to fetch his top hat, cigarettes, and strippers last night as he reclaimed his position atop his guitar universe then proceeded to crush ?Better? and sign ?This I Love.?  Then, when they returned from their assignments, he said, ?Boys, TYVFM.  Ashba is waiting on the other side of town itching to sell you a pair of pants.?

I realise this is a joke but I'm surprised at people undermining Buckethead's guitar skills round here. I can only assume these people aren't that familiar with his solo work, the guy is a phenomenal guitarist, his image didn't suit GNR but there's no denying his talent, Axl sought him out for a reason.

Go and listen to 'Soothsayer' by Buckethead, Slash WOULD struggle playing parts of that I guarantee you.

Yes, but it's not about Bucket's solo work, it's about Guns N' Roses. I've said it before and I'll say it again: with Slash there's something you can't learn or copy. Buckethead was and is a mechanical player, Slash is all about the feeling and sould and playing from deep down inside.

I'm not denying Buckethead's skill, I'm just saying that listening to him play is (to me) like driving a new Benz. You can see that it's good, but it's no fun. It's good, but it just is there. Then it gets boring and gray.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »

Yes, but it's not about Bucket's solo work, it's about Guns N' Roses. I've said it before and I'll say it again: with Slash there's something you can't learn or copy. Buckethead was and is a mechanical player, Slash is all about the feeling and sould and playing from deep down inside.

I'm not denying Buckethead's skill, I'm just saying that listening to him play is (to me) like driving a new Benz. You can see that it's good, but it's no fun. It's good, but it just is there. Then it gets boring and gray.

Have you ever listened to Bucket's albums like "Colma" or "Electric Tears"? He is both technical skilled and emotional.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »

Have you ever listened to Bucket's albums like "Colma" or "Electric Tears"? He is both technical skilled and emotional.

Yes, and I do like Colma.

But I can't really feel the emotion, I just think it is technically a great album with interesting atmosphere. But that's just me and arguing over guitarists is pretty much useless because in the end it always comes down to personal preference Smiley But that being said, I didn't find Bucket's work in GN'R that interesting or emotional. I preferred Richard and Finck during the CD era.

Edit. And now that Slash is back, I realise how much I've been missing THAT sound and THAT feeling in this band.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »

Slash has made GNR sound 1000 times better, Im sorry but he is on a level of his own. The CD era songs were great, Im not saying the previous band didnt play them good because they did but Slash rocked on them, the whole band did! Its only gonna get better! I especially liked Better, it was heavy!
Im still trying to adjust to Franks playing, he seems to excited at times and either plays to fast or does to many drum fills in songs like Estranged or Dont Cry.
Stedy76
Opening Act

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »

Anyone notice the guitars with scratch plates on that Slash is playing, thought Slash didn't like them on his guitars? And has he played his green Anaconda one yet over the recent three shows?
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »

Buckethead is a beast..a virtuoso!! The fastest guitar player GNR ever had...comparisons are simply out of question, they are very different guitar players!

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »

This guy, Niko Slash.. He already have a cover of Slash's This I Love solo from April 8th. He really plays it well. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrpQ7P1d-k

Sosso
VIP

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2016, 04:46:50 PM »

This guy, Niko Slash.. He already have a cover of Slash's This I Love solo from April 8th. He really plays it well. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrpQ7P1d-k

I still prefer Robins version but Slashs one is awesome as well  smoking

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: