Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110724 times)
jc_seven
Opening Act

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 11:41:50 PM »

Slash did Slash. I cannot understand why anyone would believe that he would play these songs in the style of someone else. Whether in your opinion he made it better or made it worse (or neither and he just did a good job), it is just an opinion and not a fact. I thought he did a great job on TIL. Not better or worse but he did it the Slash way and it worked.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 11:42:50 PM »

The ONLY song Slash didn't make better, IMO, was Better.

Something seemed completely different about the Reunion's version of Better.

Maybe it was the feed I was watching, but I didn't catch any of the intro.

Any guitar experts around here? What was different?
I'm not a guitar expert, but let me answer this: they started the song with the rhythm instrumental of Bucket's solo (the first one, after the second chorus and before the heavy section of the song), with Slash playing some more tidbits here and there. It then mashed with the regular intro when Richard starts to play the original intro riff and Duff and Melissa sang the backing vocals.

Finck solo sucked, mainly because it's the easiest solo a guitar player can do: copy/past the main melody. Too easy, and his tone sucked too.  I could write that solo too.
Get a clue.

First, the "easiest solo" means shit. LALD and SCOM both have easy solos, so what? Second, it has some high bends that are not that easy to hit right, specially if you use a heavy string like Robin (and Slash) does. Just try to search on YouTube to see how many people got ir right. Third, it's not even a copy/past of the main melody, it only follows it occasionally - I will assume you just wanted to discredit the solo by saying such a false statement. Fourth: it's your opinion about tone, many people including myself disagree. And the "I could write the solo" is just more bullshit.

So, let me give you my opinion: I think you don't even know what you're talking about.

"I'm not a guitar expert but..." followed by some really knowledgeable sounding stuff! Great response, I got a laugh out of the last line, it was built up to so perfectly.

I like the original til solo more but I love what they did with better and enjoy the new spin slash puts on the songs since I've heard the originals so many times.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:44:21 PM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 11:48:20 PM »

"I'm not a guitar expert but..." followed by some really knowledgeable sounding stuff! Great response, I got a laugh out of the last line, it was built up to so perfectly.
Hahaha, but I am not. There's a lot of people here with way more guitar knowledge than me. ok

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 11:54:39 PM »

It just feels and sounds like Guns N Roses again.

Yep.

You can't deny the vibe and feeling around everything right now is totally different.

It's amazing.  Never been so happy, about anything.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 12:12:48 AM »

I think Slash didnt have much time to work properly on this Solos...he could just try emulating the originals but he is an icon and he feels he has to put his style on it....by the way I prefer Robins..TIL original solo is beautiful...dont let your fandon deny that!

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 12:23:54 AM »

I think Slash didnt have much time to work properly on this Solos...he could just try emulating the originals but he is an icon and he feels he has to put his style on it....by the way I prefer Robins..TIL original solo is beautiful...dont let your fandon deny that!

That solo is probably the best thing Robin ever did in the band.  It's awesome.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JustanUrchin
Headliner

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 01:01:47 AM »

Slash sent BBF, Bucket and Finck to fetch his top hat, cigarettes, and strippers last night as he reclaimed his position atop his guitar universe then proceeded to crush ?Better? and sign ?This I Love.?  Then, when they returned from their assignments, he said, ?Boys, TYVFM.  Ashba is waiting on the other side of town itching to sell you a pair of pants.?

8.30.88 Pocono Downs
6.11.91 Hershey
12.6.02 Philly riot
11.20.11 Mohegan Sun
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 01:06:10 AM »

Slash did Slash. I cannot understand why anyone would believe that he would play these songs in the style of someone else. Whether in your opinion he made it better or made it worse (or neither and he just did a good job), it is just an opinion and not a fact. I thought he did a great job on TIL. Not better or worse but he did it the Slash way and it worked.

NOBODY is saying Slash should play like someone else.  People are giving their opinions on who's version is better.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 01:07:48 AM »

Slash's sound is something you just can't copy. And that's amazing.

But it's not just Slash that makes stuff better. I like how they have really cut down all the elements and gone "back to basics". At least last night the show was very consistent and they sounded brilliant! They did not sound like the classic GN'R and they did not sound like the CD era GN'R. They sounded like themselves and that is a perfect combination of everything!

I think it's basically this: To get to their best, Axl needs Slash and Slash needs Axl.

And I'm not saying this is just an Axl-Slash thing, the rest of the band are just as important and last night proved that this is the lineup. Richard & Slash combination works perfectly and so does Duff & Frank etc.

Great time to be a fan!

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Stedy76
Opening Act

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2016, 07:08:02 AM »

Slash's take on better, this I love will take time for me to enjoy as the original solo's are still fresh in my mind. but the main thing that makes everything sound cool and relevent is Duff's input, his backing vocals are just like Gnr dna. And thank f'n God for Periscope! My Saturday and Sunday mornings have been a blast here in the UK  Wink
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2016, 08:13:30 AM »

Of course he does

There's a reason his and Duff's return has set the rock world on fire

Slash is one of the most respected guitar players alive - for a reason
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 09:07:36 AM »

I have to wonder if maybe, just maybe, CD will get the respect it deserves now that Slash is rocking the tunes live.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »

I have to wonder if maybe, just maybe, CD will get the respect it deserves now that Slash is rocking the tunes live.

It's an interesting thought.
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »

It just feels and sounds like Guns N Roses again.

Yep.

You can't deny the vibe and feeling around everything right now is totally different.

It's amazing.  Never been so happy, about anything.
[/quote

Yes sir.  I hated on slash when he played with Fergie, but with Axl, slash and Axl look like they belongs together.  With duff on the other side!

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2016, 09:36:38 AM »

I would not want Slash to reproduce the solos on the 3 CD songs not for note. He is playing them in his style and they sound. I very much like what he's done for TIL. Rally makes it sound like it could have come from UYI albums.

Think everyone is realizing from these shows how much Slash was missed.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »

It once again sounds like the band we all became fans of.  It's glorious.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »

It's an interesting thought.

Maybe CD's time hasn't come yet after all.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »

I thought the Sonofabitch video of TIL was absolutely epic. Slash killed it....jaw dropping.  Shocked

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »

I would not want Slash to reproduce the solos on the 3 CD songs not for note. He is playing them in his style and they sound. I very much like what he's done for TIL. Rally makes it sound like it could have come from UYI albums.

Well said. I wish there was a 'thank you' thread - because all involved deserve a big one...Jarmo for the awesome site, Fernando for doing whatever he did to make the impossible happen, and Axl/Slash/Duff/Dizzy/Frank/Fortus/Melissa for kicking ass!

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »

One thing Slash definitely makes better is the CD intro. IMO it has never sounded as good as at it has these 2 shows.  smoking

I like that the 1 minute instrumental intro is gone as well, jumps right into that mean riff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: