Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:40:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110678 times)
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 05:13:22 PM »

Slash is the reason the reviews are so unreal. Without slash, axl has sounded great and never got any love or much respect.  Add slash, and GNR are top of the world.
Chinese songs with slash are recognized in an entirely different way.
It's all better because of slash from the mental point.
However, slash plays his own stuff and is basically the most recognizable guitarist in the last 35 years.  This is all a dream.

Axl deserves to be viewed for his greatness again, but it took slash to remind people.

So true!

"Oh my God, Slash sounds so good"  "What a great job on This I Love"  "Slash makes everything sound so much better"  Not to mention positive concert reviews.  There is some different obviously, yes...but Buckethead, DJ, Ron, Robin, are all great musicians and never got the credit.  And Axl wasn't given credit either.  Now all of a sudden, everything is great.  NOBODY can tell me that Slash has and will make every song sound better.  Simply not true.  It's great to see both Axl and Slash together on stage again, but that doesn't mean everything necessarily sounds better.  There were/are songs the other guys played better.

Agreed. But the one thing I feel IS true is that Axl and Slash have a musical chemistry that is (at least to me) way more interesting than the chemistry between Axl and Robin/Buckethead. Axl and Slash made songs like WTTJ, COMA, November Rain, Estranged and SCOM. I definitely acknowledge Buckethead's and Robin's skills and songwriting, but the chemistry between Axl's songwriting and Slash's is just 'one in a million'. Axl and Robin/Bucket never made songs that had a musical impact like the songs I just mentioned.

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 05:19:09 PM »

Slash is the reason the reviews are so unreal. Without slash, axl has sounded great and never got any love or much respect.  Add slash, and GNR are top of the world.
Chinese songs with slash are recognized in an entirely different way.
It's all better because of slash from the mental point.
However, slash plays his own stuff and is basically the most recognizable guitarist in the last 35 years.  This is all a dream.

Axl deserves to be viewed for his greatness again, but it took slash to remind people.

So true!

"Oh my God, Slash sounds so good"  "What a great job on This I Love"  "Slash makes everything sound so much better"  Not to mention positive concert reviews.  There is some different obviously, yes...but Buckethead, DJ, Ron, Robin, are all great musicians and never got the credit.  And Axl wasn't given credit either.  Now all of a sudden, everything is great.  NOBODY can tell me that Slash has and will make every song sound better.  Simply not true.  It's great to see both Axl and Slash together on stage again, but that doesn't mean everything necessarily sounds better.  There were/are songs the other guys played better.

Agreed. But the one thing I feel IS true is that Axl and Slash have a musical chemistry that is (at least to me) way more interesting than the chemistry between Axl and Robin/Buckethead. Axl and Slash made songs like WTTJ, COMA, November Rain, Estranged and SCOM. I definitely acknowledge Buckethead's and Robin's skills and songwriting, but the chemistry between Axl's songwriting and Slash's is just 'one in a million'. Axl and Robin/Bucket never made songs that had a musical impact like the songs I just mentioned.

Agreed

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 05:46:50 PM »

Some people on here are getting too excited about slash been back ,Izzy was a more important member of the band and without him GnR would never have gotten half the level of success,the last band of GnR were extremely good players  particularly bumblefoot who gave them an extra dynamic that they never had.,however the gig last night sounded great especially Axl who got his voice back and f##ken nailed coma to the walls.Roll on Europe in the fall.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »

Lets hear Slash play Sorry... Wink

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 06:10:08 PM »

NOT too many CD tks ,most fans just wanna hear AFD and the illusion albums ,CD was a good album but a lot of the tunes don't work as well live.
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2016, 06:10:43 PM »

Some people on here are getting too excited about slash been back ,Izzy was a more important member of the band and without him GnR would never have gotten half the level of success,the last band of GnR were extremely good players  particularly bumblefoot who gave them an extra dynamic that they never had.,however the gig last night sounded great especially Axl who got his voice back and f##ken nailed coma to the walls.Roll on Europe in the fall.

Yeah, remember all those great songs Axl and Bumble wrote? Great memories man, Bumbles' killer solo's over Axl's songs can't compare to Coma, Civil War, SCOM, Estranged and November Rain. And all those amazing solo's Izzy played on the AFD and UYI tracks! Remember when Slash had to play most of Izzy's work on UYI b/c Izzy couldn't be bothered to show up to the studio? Yeah, those were the days man. I get you. Why is Slash even on that stage yo!

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »

Slash has made  songs from CD much better and  has taken those songs to another level! 

Disagree. 

Other than the intro to Better, the song was performed better by the old guys in my opinion.  I also thought This I Love was performed much better in the past.

Don't let your love for Slash get in the way of your ears.  If it's not, than great...that's your opinion.  But it's hard for me to believe that doesn't play a part.  It happens with people and their love for Axl as well.

We can agree to disagree. I dislike Buckethead from the get go because he wasn't GNR to me. His looks and music didn't fit with GNR. There's a reason why he's a good solo artist, but isn't great to be in a prime time band. For me, this is GNR!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:15:50 PM by draguns » Logged
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 06:45:22 PM »

Some of Izzys contributions( from ultimate classic rock.)
Sweet Child O' Mine'

No list of Guns ?N? Roses greatest songs, no matter the constraint, would be complete without the inclusion of their most enduring hit. As this track was more of an "all hands on deck affair," with Izzy reportedly mostly providing the chords, we?ll leave this one right here. ?Where do we go now??

'Double Talkin' Jive'

Our next selection, buried in the middle of Use Your Illusion I, features a rare lead vocal turn by Stradlin. This in-your-face number retains more of the band's venomous Appetite-era attitude than many of the other songs on this album. We would hate to be whoever he's talking about with lyrics like, ?Double talking jive / Get the money motherf?er / 'Cause I got no more patience.?

Top 10 Guns N' Roses 'F? You' Songs

'You Ain't The First'

Quite possibly the least Guns N? Roses-sounding song the band ever produced, this cut plays more like a boozy acoustic blues than the hard rock or heavy ballads the band were known for. Izzy and lead singer Axl Rose share double vocal duties, while Slash provides the mood-setting slide guitar work. It certainly works as an interesting turn and shows much range Stradlin brought to the band.

'Dust 'N' Bones'

This classic and yet under-appreciated track features Izzy on lead vocal, with Axl providing high harmonies in the background. It?d be easy to call this song formulaic if it didn?t actually kick so much ass. From the signature Slash solo to the weird vocal nuances there?s something so perfectly Guns N? Roses about this song that we wish we could hear it on the radio more often.

'Out Ta Get Me'

As with many songs on the band?s landmark debut, this song was reportedly written rather quickly, with credit split between Stradlin and Rose. The guitarist later spoke of the sometimes frustrating process of writing music with the headstrong lead singer. "He was a real nasty critic you know, so sometimes it was a lot of nitpicking in the music, trying to get stuff finished, but uh, I guess in the end it came out okay." Sure did!

'Don't Cry'

Rejection is not a feeling many rock stars are used to experiencing, which is what makes this song especially notable. Co-written by Rose and Stradlin, the song is about a girl that at one time or another kicked both men to the curb. Two-fer! As Rose later related, the title came from something the woman in question told the singer after turning down his advances.

'Pretty Tied Up'

This exotic-sounding Guns N? Roses composition was another track credited to Stradlin alone. Like other items on our list of Top 10 Izzy Stradlin Guns N? Roses Songs, 'Pretty Tied Up' demonstrates the sonic diversity that he brought into the group. In his autobiography, Slash recalled just how Stradlin managed to get the far-out sound that opens the song. "I remember that Izzy had taken a cymbal and a broomstick and some strings and had made a sitar out of it. Needless to say, Izzy was pretty f?ing high.?

'14 Years'

Released in 1991 as the second song on Use Your Illusion II, the track is accepted to be about the relationship between Stradlin and Rose, who had known each other for ? wait for it ? 14 years by that point. While one might think that from the outset that it would be a celebration of friendship, the song seems to reveal a deeper, more conflicted history between the two men. As they share the chorus both men sing, ?But it's been 14 years of silence / It's been 14 years of pain / It's been 14 years that are gone forever / And I'll never have again.? Look for Izzy and Axl's line of wedding anniversary cards at your local Hallmark store soon!

'Mr. Brownstone'

This song reportedly began as a collaboration between Izzy and Slash, while chilling at a former?s girlfriend?s house. The two started ironically riffing on their mutual disdain for heroin and addicts in general. ?We were sitting there complaining, as junkies do, about our dealers," Slash wrote in his autobiography. "It basically described a day in the life for us at the time. Izzy had a cool idea, he came up with the riff, and we started improvising the lyrics.? The most revealing line of the song comes in during the bridge: "I used to do a little, but a little wouldn't do / So the little got more and more / I just keep trying to get a little better / Said a little better than before

'Patience'

It took a while to get to the top item on our list of Top 10 Izzy Stradlin Guns N? Roses Songs, but your patience is finally rewarded. Izzy?s magnus opus was released as the only single from the stopgap EP G N? R Lies. Credited to Stradlin alone, this song about failed relationships was the band?s third biggest single, reaching No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100. The '80s were an era flooded with power ballads, but 'Patience' endures to this day because of its eclectic mixture of tender lyrics, countrified acoustic guitars and intricate song-structure. Oh and of course, who could deny the power of that instantly recognizable whistle intro?

FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 06:54:39 PM »

Some of Izzys contributions( from ultimate classic rock.)

That's a cool story which I've read a million times already. The thing is: it doesn't make Slash obsolete. Fuck yeah, Izzy wrote some of Guns' best songs. But without Slash and Axl on those songs they wouldn't be the classics they are today. I agree with you that Izzy being part of all this would make it even cooler, but saying that people are getting too hyped up about Slash being there b/c Izzy is more important to GnR's history is just plain dumb man. You get that, don't you?

Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 07:21:25 PM »

Hats off to Slash he is worthy of his guitar hero status however all 5 original members should be on that stage to be glorified by the masses.but will make do with the current reincarnation.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2016, 07:41:25 PM »

Hats off to Slash he is worthy of his guitar hero status however all 5 original members should be on that stage to be glorified by the masses.but will make do with the current reincarnation.

In my opinion, the best chance of it happening will be at the MetLife show. That will be Slash's b-day and playing in the biggest market. It's either that or they'll have another surprise.
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2016, 07:52:14 PM »

Slash was awesome and im so happy he's back but I don't like his take in the this I love solo... I loved the chemistry between him and Richard, Please tell me what that woman does?  Does she really do much?

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »

The ONLY song Slash didn't make better, IMO, was Better.

Something seemed completely different about the Reunion's version of Better.

Maybe it was the feed I was watching, but I didn't catch any of the intro.

Any guitar experts around here? What was different?

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
eyemojo
Opening Act

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 08:07:53 PM »

As a long-time fan I asked myself after watching parts of the Vegas 1 show: "Could this be the best they've ever been (even with Axl in a cast)?" It's just the way that Slash and Axl riff of each other and his playing has swagger. "Double Talkin Jive" never sounded so tight, and drums are pure skin bashing. It's really starting to put the UYI years in perspective. Suddenly there was this next Van Halen (better than they are) or American Led Zeppelin and they became almost super heroes at a very young age and everyone wanted a cut and that tour went on forever. Have come to realize after hearing 'Coma' last night and 'Estranged' that parts of UYI are their Physical Graffiti. Let's hope they continue to set aside their differences for the greater good.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »

Slash has made  songs from CD much better and  has taken those songs to another level! 

Bucket Head maked the Nightrain outro his own and took to the outro to another level .

I dunno about Slash.. in fact he downgrade the TIL solo.

He hasn't downgraded anything... He's just improvising and as usual he will do better & better. Finck solo sucked, mainly because it's the easiest solo a guitar player can do: copy/past the main melody. Too easy, and his tone sucked too.  I could write that solo too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:13:49 PM by ITARocker » Logged
GNFNR-UK
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »

I'm just as excited about the reunion as everyone else and the band sound amazing together but I'm surprised that so many people think Slash's TIL solo is better than the original... For me it lacks the emotion that was in the original solo and sounds like improvised noodling to my ears, I'm not saying it's awful but I find it rather generic. I actually preferred what Ashba did with it because he at least used the original solo as the template and then just added his own spin on it... Slash just plays something COMPLETELY different!

Previously GNFNRUK, long time poster at HTGTH who forgot his password and had 500+ posts, ooops!
Krazybee129
Opening Act

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2016, 09:57:10 PM »

No Slash does not make everything better one example is the TIl solo he maked worse.

Is great to have him back trought.  ok

thank you. after watching TIL and better in youtube, he ruined it but its funny how everyone was giving it a positive feedback. i mean i get  it, people are just happy to see slash and axl play together and so am i but for funk sake  dont try to compliment him or any one if they are ruining one of the best solo in gnr old or new. just like how i always disliked robins take on his second solo for nov rain. that solo was just for slash to be played for me. same with til, its robins solo and slash can bend his back and make the solo 5 mins long wont change anything
thank you
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »

I'm not a guitar expert, but let me answer this: they started the song with the rhythm instrumental of Bucket's solo (the first one, after the second chorus and before the heavy section of the song), with Slash playing some more tidbits here and there. It then mashed with the regular intro when Richard starts to play the original intro riff and Duff and Melissa sang the backing vocals.

Finck solo sucked, mainly because it's the easiest solo a guitar player can do: copy/past the main melody. Too easy, and his tone sucked too.  I could write that solo too.
Get a clue.

First, the "easiest solo" means shit. LALD and SCOM both have easy solos, so what? Second, it has some high bends that are not that easy to hit right, specially if you use a heavy string like Robin (and Slash) does. Just try to search on YouTube to see how many people got ir right. Third, it's not even a copy/past of the main melody, it only follows it occasionally - I will assume you just wanted to discredit the solo by saying such a false statement. Fourth: it's your opinion about tone, many people including myself disagree. And the "I could write the solo" is just more bullshit.

So, let me give you my opinion: I think you don't even know what you're talking about.

MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2016, 10:03:20 PM »

I'm not a guitar expert, but let me answer this: they started the song with the rhythm instrumental of Bucket's solo (the first one, after the second chorus and before the heavy section of the song), with Slash playing some more tidbits here and there. It then mashed with the regular intro when Richard starts to play the original intro riff and Duff and Melissa sang the backing vocals.

After hearing/watching this video.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceIIov7ptYc

..........I realize they changed the song. It's heavier.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2016, 10:06:24 PM »

I don't think it's heavier. Is just different. The original arrangement was heavy as fuck already. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: