Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash makes everything better.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash makes everything better.  (Read 110493 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #480 on: August 26, 2016, 11:24:04 AM »

I would agree that Robin's style (playing and visually) is unique, but IMO his tone is garbage... the one outlier I think most people can agree with no matter your overall opinion of Robin, his work on TIL is amazing and probably the best work of his career. That is a very stripped down track that they didn't weigh down his guitar with too many effects and too much crunch.

The TIL solo is amazing.  And really threw me for a loop, because I thought Robin's live playing on boots from 2002 and 2006 were pretty much hot fucking garbage.

Those solos are painful.  They are almost atonal in nature.  I seriously questioned if they were a goof.

I know people have their beefs with DJ because of some of his schtick and try hardness.  But in terms of playing the guitar at the shows, I found him a massive upgrade.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #481 on: August 26, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »

Axl's voice and Slash's guitar are the obvious elements that stands out in GNR trademark sound, especially to people who don't play any instruments. Putting Buckethead to play GNR songs is like putting a great winter coat to go the beach. The coat is amazing, works great in the cold, but it wasn't made for the beach, it doesn't fit.

My problem with CD is how much goes on at the same time: too many orchestrations, too many (fast) guitars, too much noises, the songs are too big, some lyrics are too over dramatic, they put too much thought into every single part, it's not natural, it's not catchy, it doesn't flow. Actually I think the album sounds like the early 2000s rock and dated like the UYI drums.

I know most of you love/enjoy it and I respect that, but I think these live 2016 versions are a big improvement just because they are simpler. Axl has a tendency to overdo stuff, Slash has a tendency to write songs that are too simple, some of them forgettable. That's why Axl and Slash together makes everything better.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #482 on: August 26, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »

I know most of you love/enjoy it and I respect that, but I think these live 2016 versions are a big improvement just because they are simpler. Axl has a tendency to overdo stuff, Slash has a tendency to write songs that are too simple, some of them forgettable. That's why Axl and Slash together makes everything better.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Good point.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #483 on: August 26, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »

Axl's voice and Slash's guitar are the obvious elements that stands out in GNR trademark sound, especially to people who don't play any instruments. Putting Buckethead to play GNR songs is like putting a great winter coat to go the beach. The coat is amazing, works great in the cold, but it wasn't made for the beach, it doesn't fit.

My problem with CD is how much goes on at the same time: too many orchestrations, too many (fast) guitars, too much noises, the songs are too big, some lyrics are too over dramatic, they put too much thought into every single part, it's not natural, it's not catchy, it doesn't flow. Actually I think the album sounds like the early 2000s rock and dated like the UYI drums.

I'm gonna frame this post and hang on my wall. Perfectly describes my feelings towards GNR and especially CD.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #484 on: August 26, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »

I like how respectful the conversation is. Smiley

Axl has a tendency to overdo stuff, Slash has a tendency to write songs that are too simple, some of them forgettable. That's why Axl and Slash together makes everything better.
I dont agree with the rest of your post, but I think this quote is spot on. Kudos for that. ok

I know people have their beefs with DJ because of some of his schtick and try hardness.  But in terms of playing the guitar at the shows, I found him a massive upgrade.
I dont know man.. Do you know when people here say how every YouTuber can play original songs note for note? To me, DJ couldnt even do that properly. More like an average kid who takes shortcuts because its just easier and most of the people wouldnt notice/mind.

McKenzie
Headliner

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

« Reply #485 on: August 26, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »

I dont know man.. Do you know when people here say how every YouTuber can play original songs note for note? To me, DJ couldnt even do that properly. More like an average kid who takes shortcuts because its just easier and most of the people wouldnt notice/mind.

I agree with you about DJ. He did take shortcuts that most of the people can't notice. But what I liked about him was he played it right on a most regular basis than Robin.

e.g. I think Robin's TIL solo is much better than Ashba's. But nobody can convince me that Robin wouldn't sound a mess 70% of the times they would play it live. He was just too spotty and irregular, even on solos incredibly easy. So I prefer a guitarist taking less risks, but playing it right. Not to mention Finck's tone, dirty even on supposedly clean parts...  nervous
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #486 on: August 26, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »

I totally agree!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #487 on: August 26, 2016, 10:50:01 PM »

I agree with you about DJ. He did take shortcuts that most of the people can't notice. But what I liked about him was he played it right on a most regular basis than Robin.

e.g. I think Robin's TIL solo is much better than Ashba's. But nobody can convince me that Robin wouldn't sound a mess 70% of the times they would play it live. He was just too spotty and irregular, even on solos incredibly easy. So I prefer a guitarist taking less risks, but playing it right. Not to mention Finck's tone, dirty even on supposedly clean parts...  nervous
Well, I disagree with everything you said. But I wont keep trashing DJ, already said what I think about him. Nice guy tho, nothing personal against him.

Id want to just get back to something esteban said before: I don't think the band moves backwards with Slash again. I think he can pull off some pretty foward thinking stuff. We are used to it now, but I think his Estranged lead guitar and Locomotive's ending solo are very inovative. I mean, he plays notes you wouldnt expect from him.

And like everyone here keeps saying, his tone is something associated with the band's sound, almost as much as Axl's voice. If he's pushed to stay out of his comfort zone, he can do it.

McKenzie
Headliner

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

« Reply #488 on: August 26, 2016, 11:52:08 PM »

Id want to just get back to something esteban said before: I don't think the band moves backwards with Slash again. I think he can pull off some pretty foward thinking stuff. We are used to it now, but I think his Estranged lead guitar and Locomotive's ending solo are very inovative. I mean, he plays notes you wouldnt expect from him.

And like everyone here keeps saying, his tone is something associated with the band's sound, almost as much as Axl's voice. If he's pushed to stay out of his comfort zone, he can do it.

Now we agree. Having Slash back in the band doesn't mean next recordings will sound like his solo albums or AFD. When he's pushed he can go way further.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #489 on: August 27, 2016, 07:18:57 AM »

I would agree that Robin's style (playing and visually) is unique, but IMO his tone is garbage... the one outlier I think most people can agree with no matter your overall opinion of Robin, his work on TIL is amazing and probably the best work of his career. That is a very stripped down track that they didn't weigh down his guitar with too many effects and too much crunch.

The TIL solo is amazing.  And really threw me for a loop, because I thought Robin's live playing on boots from 2002 and 2006 were pretty much hot fucking garbage.

Those solos are painful.  They are almost atonal in nature.  I seriously questioned if they were a goof.

I agree with the Robin/Ashba thing.

Sometimes I got the feeling Robin was taking the piss and just played sloppy for laughs, as a sort of statement of 'look at me I'm a rebel in this ultra-commercial environment, I just do what the fuck I want, and no one can stop me'.  Probably not the case, but that's how someone wearing a garbage bag made me feel.

Ashba did feel like an upgrade to me as well, playing-wise, at least he played the solos more or less correctly.  His behaviour is a whole other issue ...

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #490 on: August 27, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »

Now we agree. Having Slash back in the band doesn't mean next recordings will sound like his solo albums or AFD. When he's pushed he can go way further.
Im very curious about how Axl would work with Slash now. Would he use the same editing he used to compile a solo like he did in CD (at least with Brian May and Bumblefoot solos, but I can hear the different takes on some Buckethead stuff like Scraped's ending solo)?

Ashba did feel like an upgrade to me as well, playing-wise, at least he played the solos more or less correctly.  His behaviour is a whole other issue ...
Disagree again. I think he fucked up as much as Robin, if not more. And with shortcuts.

markreed
Rocker

« Reply #491 on: August 27, 2016, 03:16:46 PM »

I've always been one for looking forward, never back. The version of GNR we saw between around 2001-2008 was easily my favourite lineup. I enjoyed the quirky, alien approach Robin, Bucket & Bumble put on the material : you weren't listening to identity free clones slavishly copying old material. I thought DJ was a sloppy player with an unearned ego.

I wouldn't say Slash makes everything better on two counts : we haven't heard any new GNR material with Slash/Duff, and I've not a NIIL show in the flesh - yet. However, I enjoy what Slash is doing with the CD material, and - as we saw on UYI1+2 - when Slash is pushed, he can go amazing places, and that's somewhere I think he should go.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #492 on: August 27, 2016, 05:33:21 PM »

Im very curious about how Axl would work with Slash now. Would he use the same editing he used to compile a solo like he did in CD (at least with Brian May and Bumblefoot solos, but I can hear the different takes on some Buckethead stuff like Scraped's ending solo)?

Disagree again. I think he fucked up as much as Robin, if not more. And with shortcuts.

I prefer Robin's versions of the AfD and UYI material. Espcially his solos on songs like It's so easy, Rocket Queen and November Rain.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #493 on: August 27, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »

I prefer Robin's versions of the AfD and UYI material. Espcially his solos on songs like It's so easy, Rocket Queen and November Rain.

Well .... That's why they sell cars in all kinds of colors right ?  ok

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #494 on: August 27, 2016, 11:42:18 PM »

Watched a few songs from appetite for democracy release and NITL blows it out of the water.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #495 on: August 28, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »

I wouldn't say Slash makes everything better on two counts : we haven't heard any new GNR material with Slash/Duff, and I've not a NIIL show in the flesh - yet. However, I enjoy what Slash is doing with the CD material, and - as we saw on UYI1+2 - when Slash is pushed, he can go amazing places, and that's somewhere I think he should go.
I think his TIL solo is different enough from the original to kinda get an idea. But IMHO it's not something he seems trully interested in working on - it's always a jam, with only a few notes here and there that he borrows from Robin's original. So yeah, still hard to get where he could go.

I prefer SCOM. Always felt his solo got huge reaction of the crowd, unlike the DJ/Bumble duo.

Watched a few songs from appetite for democracy release and NITL blows it out of the water.
One thing for sure: I loved the audio quality in there. The mix is funny sometimes (the three-body problem, if anyone here fancy an obscure science fiction chinese book reference), but it works great with good speakers. Its awesome to listen in crystal clear quality to how faithfully Bumble played Bucket's leads in Better and Richard's excellent guitar work.

Sickthings3
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #496 on: August 29, 2016, 12:03:02 PM »

I love your knowledge in guitar and your willingness to share with us. I for one have an awful ear and can't really hear everything you mention, but I'm very interested in it and it brings facts and reasons to your opinions instead of just "I don't like the guy".

I do prefer Slash's Better solo. To me, it's not as choppy and leads up to the notes instead of just getting there. Also have been impressed with all of his work. I agree with hoping Axl can push him to performing better instead of just sticking to what he knows and does real well. I loved having DJ (again, I didn't really notice the short cuts you mentioned, kinda interested in hearing more about them) and Bumbles. Was ok with Robin and Bucket. Still a great time to be a fan. I liked it in the sense that you never really knew what was going on and the fact that they weren't TOO popular so it was kind of an underground thing. Having the band that I grew up with and loved since I was 7 not be a HUGE POPULAR band anymore made me feel closer as a fan. But I'm also happy as hell that Slash and Duff are back and I can't express how happy I am that Richard and Frank stayed. Melissa has been a tremendous addition. So while it's great having Slash back, in my opinion it's not just him making it "better", it's everything.

Ok I'm done babbling. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #497 on: August 29, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »

Big time.

EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #498 on: August 29, 2016, 03:21:06 PM »

GNR worked because all 5 original members kept each others' bad tendencies in check. Axl always overdid things and wanted to be Elton John, Izzy was too understated, Slash just wanted to play bluesy hard rock riffs, etc. but if you put them together magic was created. You can see this effect if you listen to their solo albums and CD (AKA Axl's solo album).
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #499 on: August 29, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »

GNR worked because all 5 original members kept each others' bad tendencies in check. Axl always overdid things and wanted to be Elton John, Izzy was too understated, Slash just wanted to play bluesy hard rock riffs, etc. but if you put them together magic was created. You can see this effect if you listen to their solo albums and CD (AKA Axl's solo album).

Yeah, but if they really do a new album, I don't expect the magic to suddenly be back. I mean, they're different now, they're rich, they aren't as hungry as they were in those days.

The old bands that are active nowadays (The Stones, U2, The Who, etc.) haven't been making great music since I don't know when. I don't think it'll be different with GNR. Hope I'm wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: