Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 02:36:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  crowd demographic and "leaving the fans wanting"?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: crowd demographic and "leaving the fans wanting"?  (Read 4814 times)
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« on: April 07, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »

I see this stadium reunion tour as the final vindication of Guns N Roses as one of the last great, larger-than-life bad ass American rock n roll bands. The last of an era-- the era of stadiums, rock n roll iconography, Les Paul guitars, full length albums, flashy guitar solos, cat walks, stacks of Marshall amps, Budweiser banners, corporate excess, private jets, strippers, etc. For us die hard fans, we've always known their greatness. The fact that SO many people loved and hated them proved to us that they were iconic household names and Rock Gods. They were important and ubiquitous enough for EVERYBODY to at least have an opinion of them. They always made for a heated and contentious "history of rock" discussion in any family or friend setting.
If there were any doubts that Gnr belong in the pantheon of all time great rock bands-- this tour will silence the critics. I think this tour will make a statement of rock n roll decadence and extravagance.

BUT-- how should Gnr respond to the vast crowd demographic? There will be young metal heads, punks, teens, frat boys, jocks, middle aged dads in their 30s- 40s, die hards, casuals, and entire families at this concert. Do they approach this as a cleaned up and "polished" comeback tour? A mature and established band who has "their shit together"? Or do they keep their volatility and vulgarity? Can they produce their same energy with "just the music"? Or did the volatility and bad ass danger intensify the music? Do they make this a hard edged, punch in the face, unpredictable, dangerous rock concert? Or, do they continue to put on epic, grandiose 2 1/2 hour rock performances? During their last decade and a half of touring Guns N Roses have really satiated the average fans and most die hards. By that I mean Axl plays all the big hits, does the long solos, and includes all the ballads. Often people who were enjoying the shows would leave early because of work, etc. Some said the shows were good and they appreciated them playing all of their songs, but the concert "loses its flow and rhythm" between all the hard, fast songs and epic ballads. I just can't figure out how Gnr will or should approach their concerts.

So, do Gnr have to put on a shorter, higher octane show-- meaning there are fewer slow points/ballads and they exclude a few "big hits" in order to keep fans in their seats and anxious? Should their concert be more of a hurricane than a rock show? Fast paced and gritty with a punch vs pomp and spectacle? I like both sides of the band, and they are capable of presenting both sides-- they can do the big, elaborate rock production or generate a rock n roll riot. Part of their genius is their ability to be so eclectic. But is it time to start leaving the fans with a little "hunger" in them? Leave them "wanting"? Do they continue to "unload all the big guns"? Do they have to consider their late starts and the fact that some fans, even die hards, leave early if the show goes on too long? They are going to have stadiums of people now, not just arenas, and to see lines of people leaving "because they have to get up for work" would be very disheartening. So what should their approach be?
Thoughts??
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 09:16:32 AM »

The late starts were kinda adressed, I guess. Same with the volatility. They've been touring consistantly for the last several years now. Yeah, of course it's different with Slash and Duff, but then again, seems like Axl is more mature too.

I just don't get this thing about excluding ballads because people need to work the next day. Really. I know there are some not so flexible jobs that allows to take a break or at least do some home office the next day, but cmon, this is like something special. Like a wedding that you need to get out of your daily routine to take a flight and be there for a couple of days. Im sure people could pull this off.

But seems like those dates were supposed to be at weekends, or did I miss something? So that should be adressed too.

The thing is that what makes part of what GNR always was is the "I don't care" attitude. Im pretty sure they will always play the songs they want to play.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »

The late starts, drama, and volatility just aren't cute anymore.  They are 55, not 25.

And people that paid $250, if not more, don't want any of that shit.  They want a professional, well done show without any nonsense.

We tend to overromantacize how "rock n' roll, dude!!" all that shit supposedly is.  Maybe once upon a time.

But this is full fledged big business now.  It's time to grow up and show you are a viable operation that can be counted on to deliver consistently.

I believe they will.  I expect this to be the most ordered and well run tour they have ever done.  Their future as a viable touring act is dependent on it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »

If a band are sincere and look like they are having fun, they will connect with the audience and everything else will fall into place.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:42:10 AM »

If a band are sincere and look like they are having fun, they will connect with the audience and everything else will fall into place.

Agreed.

If they simply replicate the vibe and attitude they had at the Troubador last week, all will be well.  They actually seemed to be having fun.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »

Gotta go with D-Gen here, no nonsense, get the job done professionally. As for the setlist, it will be good one way or the other. Just show up relatively on time and kick ass.  Cool

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »

It is not a "late start" if the opener ends at 10/1030 and gnr goes on at 11/1130. It's only a real issue when you are waiting 2 or 3 hours between sets.

As far as a professional, low drama show, Axl has been doing that for years.

I don't see the issue.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »

It is not a "late start" if the opener ends at 10/1030 and gnr goes on at 11/1130. It's only a real issue when you are waiting 2 or 3 hours between sets.

As far as a professional, low drama show, Axl has been doing that for years.

I don't see the issue.

If he keeps 40,000 plus people that paid 3, even 4 digit prices to see them waiting until 11:30, that's a nightmare.  And reaction will be brutal and justified.

My ticket says 8:30.  So figure the opener for 40-45 minutes.  With some time to change the stage, there is no logical reason to not be out there by 10:30 - absolute max.

I actually expect him to meet that. 

This is too big and too important for him to pull that "things work out better for me at night" bullshit.  And I doubt the others would stand for it either, nor should they.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »

That really depends on who the opener is, and if there is more than one.

If it's AIC again, I would guess they would get more 45 minutes.

If they play 830-930 and guns come on at 1030, what's the problem?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »

That really depends on who the opener is, and if there is more than one.

If it's AIC again, I would guess they would get more 45 minutes.

If they play 830-930 and guns come on at 1030, what's the problem?

As I said, 10:30 would be the outer edge of acceptability, I would think.

11:30 is totally unacceptable.  And anyone that thinks that will fly is living in a dream world.  A packed stadium is more casuals than diehard who will excuse anything and everything.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »

If you get 2 openers and there isn't an absurd wait between the 2nd opener and GNR (60 minutes or less) I don't see the issue with 11:30.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »

If you get 2 openers and there isn't an absurd wait between the 2nd opener and GNR (60 minutes or less) I don't see the issue with 11:30.

I completely disagree.  But we shall see.

As I often say, we can't both be right.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 12:20:34 PM »

What exactly would be the problem?

Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »

Another thread on here called VIP Info for Vegas has the VIP instructions posted.  In those instructions it states that the preshow party ends at 9pm.
To me that means the opener isn't going on till 9 or 9:30.
I doubt you see Guns before 11-11:30.  BUT total guess here on my part.
Usually an hour at best between opener and Guns.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:25:47 PM by Ja5oN » Logged

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »

What exactly would be the problem?

Booing, unruly crowds, people leaving, savage reviews that depict Axl as the same unreliable child he has always been.

Which a bunch of you will then take great offense to, as if its some sort of unexpected development.

It will also greatly affect future touring opportunities.  They have a lot of goodwill going right now.  But its not in perpetuity if its the same old shit.

I want to stress again, that I expect none of this to happen.  I don't think they are stupid and expect them out there at a reasonable time and to do a good job.

But, if this whole "I don't see the problem" mindset keep being brought up, I have to disagree with it, highly.  It will be a problem.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »

Another thread on here called VIP Info for Vegas has the VIP instructions posted.  In those instructions it states that the preshow party ends at 9pm.  To me that means the opener isn't going on till 9 or 9:30.
I doubt you see Guns before 11-11:30.  BUT total guess here on my part.

I think Las Vegas is something of a special case.  Its a party town, and late shows are the norm.

A stadium show on a Wednesday, however, is not Las Vegas.  And those exceptions are unlikely to apply.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »

If there is some super long wait between acts, I agree there is a problem. But 60 minutes between acts is pretty ordinary.  

Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »

Well who has VIP for a non-Vegas show?  Does their email say when the preshow party ends?

Anyone?

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »

If there is some super long wait between acts, I agree there is a problem. But 60 minutes between acts is pretty ordinary.  

I can't imagine there are 2 opening acts for a show listed as starting at 8:30.

In fact, I think its that later start time that figures this in.  To cut down on the wait that can get ugly.

Rather than send someone out there at 7:30 to be done at 8:15...and then you wait until 10:30...this cuts down on the wait.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »

To comment on a few things... no they don't need a more octane show with less slower points.

This basically needs to be an UYI era setlist with 2-4 CD songs in there. Simple. Maybe 1 new song? I don't see why they couldn't write 1 new song really quick ya know? You know they've got things that were rough and raw from 1995-1996 they never finished.

Or maybe they will debut a CD II song? That would be cool. Slash's guitar work on that would make it special.

You're going to see a large majority of people from 25-45 years of age. That is the target I think here. It won't have many under 21 year olds. They will be there but 2/3 of the crowd will be 25-45 years of age.

They need to do a professional gig, Slash is the youngest isn't he? at 50 years old I think. I think Fortus might be younger, but I'm talking about the way old Gn'R used to be with the lateness... all the stupid drugs etc... that made them dangerous and exciting and frustrating too.

ALl that is gone. They need to be somewhat prompt. This is big time stuff. This isn't UYI tour, this is a 20+ year in the making tour, and it needs to be good to great at the least.

I mean they will annouce a opener for the tour right?

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: