Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 12:42:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Topic Steven Adler
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Topic Steven Adler  (Read 20418 times)
firecracker69
Opening Act

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »

I buy that something is going on with him but not necessarily a back injury.
I also agree ot wasn't cool to post the agents personal info.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 07:03:52 PM »

Maybe the topic is annoying for some of you because people just truly want to see the "happy go lucky" fun drummer Gn'R had at one point get a fucking show or a few songs or something?

He has wanted this longer than anyone else... it is happening, so naturally... fans want to see him play drums a few times. It isn't that tough to understand.

I mean who "doesn't" want Adler to play like 1 show or a few songs on some shows? Why would you not want that?

It really depends when you became a fan of the band.  I became a fan in 1992, so to me Axl, Slash and Duff were always the "Classic lineup" as they were the only 3 who played on all the material I discovered in 1992 and were still in the band at the time.  That is not to diminish Izzy in anyway, its just when I became a fan at the age of 10,  Gilby was already there so that is the rhythm guitar player I associated with Guns N Roses.  Drumming is the last thing I care about, so I don't care if Steven plays or he doesn't.  Frank has been awesome for a lot of years so he is my top choice.  If I had to choose a drummer from the classic era its Matt everyday and twice on Sunday.

To a fan like me, Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy is enough for me from the classic lineup.   I am completely satisfied with that.   Partner that with the fact that I, (unlike a lot of fans who just started paying attention again for the first time since 1994) am a HUGE fan of every incarnation of the band.  I love "Chinese Democracy" and hope they play a ton of songs from it.  Having Richard and Frank in the band in what some call a "hybrid" line up is the absolute best case scenario for a fan like me.   
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 07:27:42 PM »

well, since they promote it as a reunion, they count on that type of reaction.
all that can minus Izzy & Steven's roles is good to take.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 07:46:43 PM »

I buy that something is going on with him but not necessarily a back injury.
I also agree ot wasn't cool to post the agents personal info.

Agreed, on both counts.

I'm more inclined to believe he found out he wasn't in and went off the rails.  Or, in his case, back to the rails.

Only thing that doesn't add up is him staying quiet.  You could make the argument that is the rational move and taking the long view if he ever hopes to have another shot.  But rational moves and the long view are not exactly Steven's trademarks.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
asdf gunner
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 07:50:35 PM »

Except, you know, they never promoted it as a reunion  ok

What's so civil about W.A.R anyway?...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 07:56:18 PM »

They haven't, but every headline and article refers to it as such.

And I think so most people, it is.  Regardless of terminology used.

Slash back = reunion.  To about 99% of the world.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 09:28:58 PM »

So you'd be annoyed if I posted Axl's cell number on the board?

Annoyed is the wrong word.

No matter whose phone number you post without their permission.

/jarmo

Hey everyone, here's Jarmo's phone number ...

I'm just kidding. I only have Axl's.

Not Axl Rose mind you, just some skate shop my kids go to ...

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »

Frank is fine. His drumming is similar to Matt's. I saw a couple of shows with the Brain, Finck, Buckethead lineup. I think Brain was probably the best drummer the band has had. But Steven is the guy. His drumming was so fucked up that it worked perfectly. So while I understand having a reliable guy back there, I do hope we see Steven make some sort of appearance, along with Izzy. Can't help it. When you look at the setlist, it's heavily weighted towards Appetite. They play like half the album, sometimes more than half. That's an acknowledgement that Appetite is/was what made their name and has the songs MOST ticket buyers want to hear. And Steven was the drummer during the ramp up, recording, and takeoff of the Appetite era. If not, so be it, not really that big of a deal to me. But I would like to see it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:51:43 PM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:05 PM »

Frank is fine. His drumming is similar to Matt's. I saw a couple of shows with the Brain, Finck, Buckethead lineup. I think Brain was probably the best drummer the band has had. But Steven is the guy. His drumming was so fucked up that it worked perfectly. So while I understand having a reliable guy back there, I do hope we see Steven make some sort of appearance, along with Izzy. Can't help it. When you look at the setlist, it's heavily weighted towards Appetite. They play like half the album, sometimes more than half. That's an acknowledgement that Appetite is/was what made their name and has the songs MOST ticket buyers want to hear. And Steven was the drummer during the ramp up, recording, and takeoff of the Appetite era. If not, so be it, not really that big of a deal to me. But I would like to see it.

There has only been ONE setlist so far this year, with this lineup.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
gnr1967
Rocker

One person's morality is another person's nonsense

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 10:47:50 PM »

Maybe the topic is annoying for some of you because people just truly want to see the "happy go lucky" fun drummer Gn'R had at one point get a fucking show or a few songs or something?

He has wanted this longer than anyone else... it is happening, so naturally... fans want to see him play drums a few times. It isn't that tough to understand.

I mean who "doesn't" want Adler to play like 1 show or a few songs on some shows? Why would you not want that?

It really depends when you became a fan of the band.  I became a fan in 1992, so to me Axl, Slash and Duff were always the "Classic lineup" as they were the only 3 who played on all the material I discovered in 1992 and were still in the band at the time.  That is not to diminish Izzy in anyway, its just when I became a fan at the age of 10,  Gilby was already there so that is the rhythm guitar player I associated with Guns N Roses.  Drumming is the last thing I care about, so I don't care if Steven plays or he doesn't.  Frank has been awesome for a lot of years so he is my top choice.  If I had to choose a drummer from the classic era its Matt everyday and twice on Sunday.

To a fan like me, Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy is enough for me from the classic lineup.   I am completely satisfied with that.   Partner that with the fact that I, (unlike a lot of fans who just started paying attention again for the first time since 1994) am a HUGE fan of every incarnation of the band.  I love "Chinese Democracy" and hope they play a ton of songs from it.  Having Richard and Frank in the band in what some call a "hybrid" line up is the absolute best case scenario for a fan like me.   

I agree with Bodhi's post.  In my opinion, the Chinese Democracy era was an evolution of the original band, and it was pretty freaking good. It introduced new talent, new music, new emotion, and a new direction.  Bringing back Slash and Duff and incorporating them back into the "evolved" band still seems "authentic" to me.  It's much more authentic and genuine that throwing all the "new" guys out simply to bring back Adler and Izzy so fans can see the Appetite-era lineup again.  I'd like to think that GNR is much more than just a nostalgia act now.  It's great Slash and Duff are back - I think they are key members - but it's even greater that this lineup is more than just a trip down memory lane.  (At least I hope it is!) Although I agree it would be fun to see Adler and Izzy show up occasionally for a few shows, I personally like the hybrid lineup.  And for all those members of the general public that complain this isn't a full-blown reunion, Axl said it best: this isn't Burger King...it isn't "have it your way."   Smiley 
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 02:08:25 AM »

When Steven lost even Duff's support, that's when you knew he was cooked.

That story about him getting shitfaced at the airport before their flight really summed it up, I think.  Dude needs to grow up in a big way.

Exactly. Alder proved right then and there that he only cares about himself . Rather than man up he turns around calls Duff judgemental, and plays the pity card.

If he wasn't so god damn selfish one would think he would realize just how hard Duff has worked to get where he is today. Duff is a recovering addict, he has stated this many many times. Not that Duff would relapse,  but why risk touring with somebody who can never stay clean.

Besides Frank is doing a stellar job behind the kit. He's a hard hitter with major groove, the guy's a beast.

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
TokyoRose
Headliner

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 06:55:12 AM »

I see a lot of hatred in here. 

I want this tour to be a healing one, and its off to a good start.  I hope at some point we see appearances from all past members.

The more the merrier, and everyone has contributed something to the legacy of GNR.  Now that Axl and Slash have shared a stage
anything is possible.

If you are tired of hearing about Steven or Izzy just ignore the thread.  Some of you make an appearance in every thread about these members telling us the exact same line of
not caring, but you had to post it AGAIN anyways right?  I respect your thoughts and feelings on this, but we've heard them already. 

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 07:24:56 AM »

They haven't, but every headline and article refers to it as such.

But you can't really help that. The media handles things the way they see fit, and usually that means the use of misleading headlines.

I think it's pretty naive to go crying "this is a reunion but there's no Steven or Izzy" when the band or its management hasn't said a word about a reunion except for "the reunion of Axl, Duff and Slash".

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
JMB-GNR
Headliner

DD Frontman

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 07:49:25 AM »

Completely agree and I have the same sentiments towards the band, though I don't underestimate Izzy's role. He has been very important in the past but I think we gotta accept that he's is just not into the whole big touring thing...and never was.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:56:30 AM by JMB-GNR » Logged

Graspop'06 | Nijmegen'06 | Antwerpen'10 | Arnhem'10 | Rotterdam'12 | Monchengladbach'12 | London'17 | Nijmegen'17 | Nijmegen'18 | Groningen '22 | Weert '23
DeN
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »

"the reunion of Axl, Duff and Slash" is enough to have reunion headlines, sure

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 08:46:23 AM »

"the reunion of Axl, Duff and Slash" is enough to have reunion headlines, sure

Well the last time Guns N Roses was the biggest band in the world it was the three of them.. and they are entering that discussion again with the three of them...

Axl and management might not want the reunion term out there.... but it sure as hell does sell tickets... so i don't think they mind it that much.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 09:00:58 AM »

I see a lot of hatred in here. 

I want this tour to be a healing one, and its off to a good start.  I hope at some point we see appearances from all past members.

The more the merrier, and everyone has contributed something to the legacy of GNR.  Now that Axl and Slash have shared a stage
anything is possible.

If you are tired of hearing about Steven or Izzy just ignore the thread.  Some of you make an appearance in every thread about these members telling us the exact same line of
not caring, but you had to post it AGAIN anyways right?  I respect your thoughts and feelings on this, but we've heard them already. 

There always has to be a bad guy around here for some people...now that it can't be Slash anymore... well now people are focusing on Steven.

At this point I am indifferent what happens with him... i'm too high on cloud nine these days... but why he can't really have a back injury... that's just people speculating.. they have no way to know...

If he can pop up for a few songs at some point... that would be cool...if not... that's ok too.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:08:11 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
DeN
Legend

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 09:14:38 AM »

I'd love to see the classic line up playing in Paris, I've never saw them together.

lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »

It's all on a very personal level I guess...
See I KNOW Izzy left - but I have seen 4 great shows - 2 with Izzy! I personally feel like he never left the band.
He seems to be there - every other time - you see? 😉

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »

There has only been ONE setlist so far this year, with this lineup.

For the past 15 years setlists have been slanted towards Appetite/Adler era songs... at minimum you see Jungle, ISE, Nightrain, Brownstone, PC, SCOM, KOHD, Patience, and Civil War. Those are all Steven songs, for better or worse. And that's the bare minimum, usually they throw in My Michelle, Rocket Queen, and possibly one or two more from Appetite, Lies, or LLAS. I saw the very first show of the UYI tour... back in 1991... they played a ton of new songs and the crowd was totally dead. By the end of that tour they added more and more Appetite-era songs. When Axl came back with the new band, he continued that strategy. He knew better than to cram the setlist with obscure favorites of the HTGTH forum. Whether you like it or not, the reality is that John or Jane Ticketbuyer don't want to hear Coma, Locomotive, There Was a Time, This I Love, and so forth. The goal is to sell a lot of tickets, send people home happy. Not mine the depths of their catalog.

I've seen enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: