Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 11:03:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228113 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Topic Steven Adler
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Topic Steven Adler  (Read 20356 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 04:33:50 PM »

For the past 15 years setlists have been slanted towards Appetite/Adler era songs... at minimum you see Jungle, ISE, Nightrain, Brownstone, PC, SCOM, KOHD, Patience, and Civil War. Those are all Steven songs, for better or worse. And that's the bare minimum, usually they throw in My Michelle, Rocket Queen, and possibly one or two more from Appetite, Lies, or LLAS. I saw the very first show of the UYI tour... back in 1991... they played a ton of new songs and the crowd was totally dead. By the end of that tour they added more and more Appetite-era songs. When Axl came back with the new band, he continued that strategy. He knew better than to cram the setlist with obscure favorites of the HTGTH forum. Whether you like it or not, the reality is that John or Jane Ticketbuyer don't want to hear Coma, Locomotive, There Was a Time, This I Love, and so forth. The goal is to sell a lot of tickets, send people home happy. Not mine the depths of their catalog.

Spot on.

If you are filling stadiums, not everyone is a superfan.  Or, as you put it, HTGTH posters.  You are going to have a lot more casuals in there.

On top of that, look at those prices.  If you are charging as much as $746, and that is PER SEAT, for the floor...you damn sure better make with the hits.

Good luck cutting out AFD tunes so you can pull 'The Garden' out of mothballs.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »

For the past 15 years setlists have been slanted towards Appetite/Adler era songs... at minimum you see Jungle, ISE, Nightrain, Brownstone, PC, SCOM, KOHD, Patience, and Civil War. Those are all Steven songs, for better or worse. And that's the bare minimum, usually they throw in My Michelle, Rocket Queen, and possibly one or two more from Appetite, Lies, or LLAS. I saw the very first show of the UYI tour... back in 1991... they played a ton of new songs and the crowd was totally dead. By the end of that tour they added more and more Appetite-era songs. When Axl came back with the new band, he continued that strategy. He knew better than to cram the setlist with obscure favorites of the HTGTH forum. Whether you like it or not, the reality is that John or Jane Ticketbuyer don't want to hear Coma, Locomotive, There Was a Time, This I Love, and so forth. The goal is to sell a lot of tickets, send people home happy. Not mine the depths of their catalog.

Spot on.

If you are filling stadiums, not everyone is a superfan.  Or, as you put it, HTGTH posters.  You are going to have a lot more casuals in there.

On top of that, look at those prices.  If you are charging as much as $746, and that is PER SEAT, for the floor...you damn sure better make with the hits.

Right, but at the same time everyone in that stadium will know the bulk of the "Illusion" albums as well.  I think some of you underestimate the size of those albums, those were the albums that cemented them as the biggest band in the world, not "Appetite."  If they put out a flop after "Appetite" people would have forgotten all about them real quick.  "November Rain" and Don't Cry  are a lot of causal fans favorite Guns N Roses songs. 

Also the reason the crowd was dead on the first show of the "Use Your Illusion" tour was because the records were still 4 months away from coming out.  The band said before that it was tough to launch a tour playing songs most people have never heard. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »

Oh, I personally hope UYI songs get played.  I hated how Axl basically dropped them.

I think the biggest surprise of last Friday night was 'Double Talkin' Jive'.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »

that's a new opportunity to have live version of Don't Damn Me

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2016, 06:11:15 PM »

Yes yes yes... I'm hoping if we keep mentioning Don't Damn Me that it'll eventually get played. It has to happen. If Slash & Duff can rejoin GnR then surely they can perform this track

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »

Oh, I personally hope UYI songs get played.  I hated how Axl basically dropped them.

I think the biggest surprise of last Friday night was 'Double Talkin' Jive'.

Yeah that was a huge surprise for me as well. I really thought they would do some off the beat tune from UYI II. Oh well, the setlist was pretty good. The Seeker live is lame, I mean its a good cover yes, but I think I'd rather hear a Gn'R song over that right?

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2016, 06:28:25 PM »

Yeah that was a huge surprise for me as well. I really thought they would do some off the beat tune from UYI II. Oh well, the setlist was pretty good. The Seeker live is lame, I mean its a good cover yes, but I think I'd rather hear a Gn'R song over that right?

I see that argument.

But, I'd rather than one than 'Whole Lotta Rose'.  Or 'Don't Let It Get You Down', which I thought was wretched.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »

Spot on.

Yeah I agree with this mostly. I mean sure with doing stadiums there's going to be casual fans that have "heard" of the band, or heard about Slash or Axl etc.. MOST people aren't going to these shows based on Chinese Democracy either. They are going because Guns N' Roses was the biggest rock band in the world from 1991-1994ish. Well maybe not the "biggest" but pretty damn big.

Anyways, yeah they are going to play a greatest hits type of set, and that is awesome, but they should play whatever they want too. I don't want to hear "Yesterdays" or "The Seeker".

Being realistic here, we are going to get AT LEAST 6 songs from AFD at the very minimal. Which is fine, but knowing that they are only going to do 20-24 songs a show, I would not want anymore than that.

Jungle
It's So Easy
Nightrain
Brownstone
Paradise
Sweet Child
Rocket

Okay, well that is 7, which is the norm. I wouldn't mind hearing "My Michelle" but I could pass on that. Getting rid of one of these very probably 7 AFD songs in favor or a UYI era song? Hell yes. Any of these would work

Coma
Locomotive
Pretty Tied Up
Don't Damn Me
Bad Obsession
Dust N' Bones

That is 6 songs I really want to hear, all in one show too. I also don't think it makes ANY sense at all to play anything more than 2 or 3 CD songs. People just aren't coming for that album man.

I just think they should simply keep it simple... is that a simple sentence? lol

Play the hits, then play whatever the hell they want, but keep it to original Gn'R stuff. I don't want any stupid ass AcDc cover or The Seeker. Gtfo

They should just pick 6 songs from each UYI album. 6 from AFD, 1 from Lies (patience), and the rest CD songs or a TSI song.

Really excited to see how many songs they play on Vegas, and what songs they actually play. 

But don't damn me
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »

But, I'd rather than one than 'Whole Lotta Rose'.  Or 'Don't Let It Get You Down', which I thought was wretched.

If they play 'Whole Lotta Rosie" at this point.... will the crowd break out in an AC/DC chant?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2016, 06:37:18 PM »

YEP YEP!!!

I want to hear this man.

But don't damn me
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2016, 06:41:55 PM »

Honestly if the back surgery rumor is to be believed... Steven Adler will never play a song with GnR again (IMO)... A back Surgery isn't exactly wisdom teeth, he will be on serious pain killers, which like pretty much every other Junkie I've ever came in contact with is going to mean Steve goes straight to the cast of Dancing With Mr. Brownstone and the Stars hosted by Dr. Drew.

He is not sitting behind a drum kit looking out at Axl Slash and Duff tearing up the stage not because he can't play, but because he has pissed away every last ounce of trust any of those guys had. There is a point where you just have to cut the cord because they can't be helped and are just bringing you down.

I'm here for Axl, Slash, Duff (and if he wanted to be here Izzy)... if there is a 1% chance that Steven would cause drama and potentially blow apart the magic we are getting to witness than it isn't worth giving him the shot.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »

I see a lot of hatred in here. 

I want this tour to be a healing one, and its off to a good start.  I hope at some point we see appearances from all past members.

The more the merrier, and everyone has contributed something to the legacy of GNR.  Now that Axl and Slash have shared a stage
anything is possible.

If you are tired of hearing about Steven or Izzy just ignore the thread.  Some of you make an appearance in every thread about these members telling us the exact same line of
not caring, but you had to post it AGAIN anyways right?  I respect your thoughts and feelings on this, but we've heard them already. 

There always has to be a bad guy around here for some people...now that it can't be Slash anymore... well now people are focusing on Steven.

At this point I am indifferent what happens with him... i'm too high on cloud nine these days... but why he can't really have a back injury... that's just people speculating.. they have no way to know...

If he can pop up for a few songs at some point... that would be cool...if not... that's ok too.

If you want to talk about hatred... go for a stroll at mygnr...

fuck me.. that place has some of the worst vitriol ive seen on any forum for any topic you could imagine.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »

I Want To Steven In Some Shows And/Or Songs

Cool

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2016, 06:57:44 PM »

Spot on.

Right, but at the same time everyone in that stadium will know the bulk of the "Illusion" albums as well.  I think some of you underestimate the size of those albums, those were the albums that cemented them as the biggest band in the world, not "Appetite."  If they put out a flop after "Appetite" people would have forgotten all about them real quick.  "November Rain" and Don't Cry  are a lot of causal fans favorite Guns N Roses songs. 

Also the reason the crowd was dead on the first show of the "Use Your Illusion" tour was because the records were still 4 months away from coming out.  The band said before that it was tough to launch a tour playing songs most people have never heard. 

I agree completely with both of these comments.

When picking the set-list i think its going to be pre-agreed for CD.. axl will get his 3 songs or whatever.. after that... most of appetite is getting played.. (10 songs out of 12 IMO) which leaves 10 UYI songs... those songs could be the more interchangeable from gig to gig.

I dont see every set being identical is what i am saying. And thats probably the most exciting thing... as i said in the other thread... the fact that new rose and DTJ made it onto the 16 or 17 song set-list last weekend should give everyone hope that their songs will get a go at some point in the tour and that Axl is well aware that people want the old songs pulled out.

Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »

As far as they don't do the same show over and over again, I'm happy.

But I would love to see Axl and Duff doing So Fine; Don't Damn Me (which apparently is a favourite for most of us); Bad Apples; Double talkin jive; Back off Bitch; Dust n bones and 14 years if Izzy decides to show up; Locomotive would be great.
But to sing some of them would be a challenge for Axl.
If they decide to do any covers, I would prefer to hear something from TSI like Ain't Fun and Down on the farm.

Yes, after last friday finally became a reality, I'm allowing myself to dream a little bit.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »

I see a lot of hatred in here. 

I want this tour to be a healing one, and its off to a good start.  I hope at some point we see appearances from all past members.

The more the merrier, and everyone has contributed something to the legacy of GNR.  Now that Axl and Slash have shared a stage
anything is possible.

If you are tired of hearing about Steven or Izzy just ignore the thread.  Some of you make an appearance in every thread about these members telling us the exact same line of
not caring, but you had to post it AGAIN anyways right?  I respect your thoughts and feelings on this, but we've heard them already. 

There always has to be a bad guy around here for some people...now that it can't be Slash anymore... well now people are focusing on Steven.

At this point I am indifferent what happens with him... i'm too high on cloud nine these days... but why he can't really have a back injury... that's just people speculating.. they have no way to know...

If he can pop up for a few songs at some point... that would be cool...if not... that's ok too.

If you want to talk about hatred... go for a stroll at mygnr...

fuck me.. that place has some of the worst vitriol ive seen on any forum for any topic you could imagine.

It's too ridiculous to take seriously, I don't spend my time on things I hate.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2016, 08:50:53 PM »

Honestly if the back surgery rumor is to be believed... Steven Adler will never play a song with GnR again (IMO)... A back Surgery isn't exactly wisdom teeth, he will be on serious pain killers, which like pretty much every other Junkie I've ever came in contact with is going to mean Steve goes straight to the cast of Dancing With Mr. Brownstone and the Stars hosted by Dr. Drew.

He is not sitting behind a drum kit looking out at Axl Slash and Duff tearing up the stage not because he can't play, but because he has pissed away every last ounce of trust any of those guys had. There is a point where you just have to cut the cord because they can't be helped and are just bringing you down.

I'm here for Axl, Slash, Duff (and if he wanted to be here Izzy)... if there is a 1% chance that Steven would cause drama and potentially blow apart the magic we are getting to witness than it isn't worth giving him the shot.

Great post, agree -like someone once said "you can only do so many pull ups"

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2016, 11:47:38 PM »

He's not really been given a chance. That's the thing.

They do need to give him a one off show, or let him come out and encore 3-4 songs once at least. I don't see what the big deal is for that. Fans would like it in general, and he would just love it.

I love the guy, but I've never advocated for him being the main drummer, that wouldn't be smart. I simply think he should be given a shot, and with his great silence, I'm thinking the back thing is legit, and he's trying to recover so he can play a couple shows or less.

Who knows. This isn't about Frank vs. Steven, or Nu Gn'R vs Gn'R. It is about what is right, and letting the guy play a show or a couple encores is right. Assuming he's clean and not f'd up.

But don't damn me
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2016, 11:50:41 PM »

you sir are an Ass

Spinal surgery is a means to correct a problem, it doesn't mean you will stay in pain  Roll Eyes I should know, 2 ten inch rods and 14 screws later something like this And I'm knocking down walls and building an extension like a teenager.  Still think Adler hasn't warranted a "right" to play in the band though....
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2016, 12:02:06 AM »

you sir are an Ass

Spinal surgery is a means to correct a problem, it doesn't mean you will stay in pain  Roll Eyes I should know, 2 ten inch rods and 14 screws later something like this ] And I'm knocking down walls and building an extension like a teenager.  Still think Adler hasn't warranted a "right" to play in the band though....

I am not saying the surgery isn't meant to correct the issue and relieve him of pain, but that doesn't happen minutes after surgery... you need to manage post surgical pain. For most people that is done successfully with pain killers then physical therapy starts and if the operation was successful you are in a much better spot.

UNFORTUNATELY you are in this case going to have to give a 30+ year on and off recovering junkie narcotics to manage his pain... Do you envision that going well, do you think he is just going to stick to the program and get off it the moment they are no longer needed? Or do you think he will struggle with that, and when the script runs out maybe he resorts to his old ways?

While he might want this, I don't see what he's done to deserve this... I see that he burns bridge after bridge (look at Duff recently), and finds inventive ways to screw up (see Celebrity Rehab or the non payment of his touring band).

Why risk in anyway this tour and what it means to so many fans?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: