Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 06:22:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl confirmed as new singer for AC/DC tour (June 1, 2016: US dates announced)
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 120 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl confirmed as new singer for AC/DC tour (June 1, 2016: US dates announced)  (Read 504177 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1500 on: May 20, 2016, 03:02:11 PM »

I think he sounds better on the Brian songs, because his own voice is closer to Brian's.

I think he sounds good on the Bon songs, but not as good.  I chalk that up to him trying to sound like Bon, almost.

For example, really haven't heard a strong version of 'Dirty Deeds' yet.  But 'Thunderstruck' and 'Back In Black' are great every night I've heard.

To be fair:

I haven't heard a good, live, version of D.D. in a LONG time. A VERY long time. Even on their live double album, it's not great.  Certainly on the tracks they recorded for Rock Band, it might be the weakest song of the whole game.  The vocals just don't meld well with the guitar parts, live. I've thought so for a long time. In fact, I think the Axl version are probably the best versions that I've heard since the 90's, maybe longer.

I'm not an AC/DC superfan, for sure, so maybe there's some better, more recent, examples out there. And I haven't looked very hard to try to find good examples with Brian.  But in the times I've heard them, or they've appeared (even pro shot) in places and done that song, or the few times I've seen them live in the past 15 years...it's not a standout, to me.

On the flip side, the Bon songs "Whole Lotta Rosie", "Let there be Rock", "TNT" and "Highway to Hell" all sound AMAZING with Axl on vocals.  Ditto "Riff Raff".

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:07:13 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1501 on: May 20, 2016, 04:09:31 PM »

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this way. But to me Axl is one of the greatest singers of all time. He doesn't need to sound like anyone else.
He sings those AC/DC songs sounding like Axl and that's more than enough for me.

Now, I do understand how some people might prefer if he "sounded more like Bon/Brian" on the songs. I get it, it's what they are used to. But I'm a GN'R fan.... I guess we got different preferences...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1502 on: May 20, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »

Wow, great video of If You Want Blood from Vienna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgZRddLBwvw

More great videos from the same user:

Shoot To Thrill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyR4N444ruk
Dirty Deeds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0tLkf4La-4
High Voltage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO0NDdkVDxQ
Whole Lotta Rosie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhIzJb0kpcY

and from another uploader:

Rock or Bust - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKFpYxkVsY

Looks like Axl was on his feet for most of the show.

Holy shit, those videos were beyond amazing!  I have to go to this show. 
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #1503 on: May 20, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »

New show. D?sseldorf, june 15th

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1504 on: May 20, 2016, 06:10:34 PM »

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this way. But to me Axl is one of the greatest singers of all time. He doesn't need to sound like anyone else.
He sings those AC/DC songs sounding like Axl and that's more than enough for me.

Now, I do understand how some people might prefer if he "sounded more like Bon/Brian" on the songs. I get it, it's what they are used to. But I'm a GN'R fan.... I guess we got different preferences...

/jarmo

I agree.  I don't think he trying to sound like either of those guys.  He sounds like Axl.  Axl just happens to sound like those two guys when he sings there songs

Which has been sounding great

Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #1505 on: May 20, 2016, 08:23:04 PM »

/jarmo

I agree.  I don't think he trying to sound like either of those guys.  He sounds like Axl.  Axl just happens to sound like those two guys when he sings there songs

Which has been sounding great

Axl sounds like Axl...my impression though is that Brians songs are more linear and easier to sing...rasp all the way. GNR songs are much more rich and tough to sing...forget the rasp...we will have the same Axl from Coachella whitch is just fine!

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1506 on: May 20, 2016, 08:56:53 PM »

Yeah, the boots of the second Las Vegas show and that first Coachella show have pretty good sound.

And Axl sounded solid.  If he sounds like that all tour, no worries.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1507 on: May 20, 2016, 09:29:12 PM »

I can't imagine how anybody if given a truth serum would say Axl is doing a bad job.... but there are people who just don't like him... and never will no matter what... and he's not ACDC's singer...

If they don't enjoy it... ah well...f em !
Sure. It still is a kick ass setlist with the best frontman of his generation (and to me, obviously, of all time). More than worth the ticket IMO.

Awesome. Smiley
I really thought that it would be common sense now that he's kicking ass. Weren't these people aware of the hype?

You'd think so, but no. Some people are skeptic until they hear/see it with their own two eyes. And who can blame them? They've been brainwashed for years by certain media outlets and not many of these fans are diehards to have an interest in finding out what the real truth is, they just roll with what they read.

There's no better way to shut them up than with performances like these though.  ok
Indeed. It must be a nice surprise to get to the show expecting Axl to suck and then get kicked hard in the ass. hihi

LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1508 on: May 20, 2016, 09:41:16 PM »

Well put, I think we want to hear Axl sing like Axl, regardless of what the material is..

/jarmo

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1509 on: May 20, 2016, 09:48:21 PM »

Am I alone in thinking Axl is trying to do a Bon impersonation at the beginning of Rosie? He seems to do it very differently with AC DC than Guns and to me he sounds very much like Bon there. I really like it actually it sounds like a little tip of the hat to Bon.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #1510 on: May 20, 2016, 09:50:33 PM »

Am I alone in thinking Axl is trying to do a Bon impersonation at the beginning of Rosie? He seems to do it very differently with AC DC than Guns and to me he sounds very much like Bon there. I really like it actually it sounds like a little tip of the hat to Bon.

I completely agree with you.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1511 on: May 20, 2016, 11:40:51 PM »

I completely agree with you.

I don't
Princess Leia
« Reply #1512 on: May 21, 2016, 04:15:33 AM »

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/215245-what-mr-and-mrs-young-had-to-say-about-axl/

Great read!  Grin

A fan from Vienna who met Angus and his wife. She disccused with them about Axl and the AC/DC future. Angus wife told Axl's camp to ask Axl to get rid of the hats and shades on stage  rofl They are very happy with Axl  love

Angus told this fan that they are focused in this tour. And after the tour is done they will discuss what they would in the future
firecracker69
Opening Act

« Reply #1513 on: May 21, 2016, 04:41:34 AM »

I think he sounds like the Rock god that he is. I haven't really sat and compared him to Bon or Brian. Of course many are and will and that's fine. To me though it's like a dream watching my favorite singer from my favorite band sing and bring life to thye stage with ACDC my second favorite band.
Axl is Axl to me there's no comparison.

I'm glad so many are taking the oppurtunity to see Axl do what he does best, I never had a doubt.
siraddam
Headliner

« Reply #1514 on: May 21, 2016, 04:58:58 AM »

It's really nice to hear Axl sounding great again. He's obviously enjoying this time of his life. People are naturally going to compare him to other singers from AC/DC, just like people compared Ashba to Slash!
I wish Jarmo wouldn't complain when people do this, it's not like people are trolling, a lot of the negativity that has appeared on this board over the years stems from all of this stirring that goes on.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1515 on: May 21, 2016, 06:36:30 AM »

So when I post my opinion, I'm complaining. But when some post their negativity, they're just posting their opinion. Interesting..

No, I'm not gonna stop posting what I think. No matter how much you wish it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1516 on: May 21, 2016, 07:22:30 AM »

Yeah, the boots of the second Las Vegas show and that first Coachella show have pretty good sound.

Wouldn't you rather have him sing like he does with Ac/Dc ?  He's proven that he's still capable of doing it, so there's no excuse not to do it with GNR ...

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #1517 on: May 21, 2016, 08:00:09 AM »

Wouldn't you rather have him sing like he does with Ac/Dc ?  He's proven that he's still capable of doing it, so there's no excuse not to do it with GNR ...

I think that would be the best case scenario, sure.

I have listened to that 'Rock Or Bust' from the first night about 1000 times.  Amazing, since I find it a pretty pedestrian song, even by AC/DC standards.

But Axl sounds unreal.  Sounds like the Axl of 25 years ago.  The real Axl, as I would put it.  I would love if he could sound like that every night for GNR.

I was simply saying that hoping for that every night is like hoping that every round of golf you shoot will be 10 under par.  Might not be super realistic.

And if, instead, he simply sounds like he did on those first few GNR shows in April, that's still pretty damn good.  Just don't want him sounding like he did in 2011-14, which I think is the absolute lowest point in the valley of his live career.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #1518 on: May 21, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »

It's really nice to hear Axl sounding great again. He's obviously enjoying this time of his life. People are naturally going to compare him to other singers from AC/DC, just like people compared Ashba to Slash!
I wish Jarmo wouldn't complain when people do this, it's not like people are trolling, a lot of the negativity that has appeared on this board over the years stems from all of this stirring that goes on.

It's just his way.  That's not a knock, just how it is.

A bunch of us are talking for like 3-4 pages without a problem to be seen.  No one has said a cross word to anyone else in a week.

And in he comes "I don't like this kind of talk.  I don't like what you said about this that or the other back in 2013.  Here come 5 straight passive aggressive statements that all start with 'I just think it's funny that...'."

And everyone stops talking, looks over at him, and when he's done says "...anyway..." and we go back to our conversation.  The mood here all year has been dynamite compared to the past few.

We all have our style.  That's just his style.  It seems unlikely to change. 

It ain't no thing though.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1519 on: May 21, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »

Show me the passive aggressiveness in my post: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=67176.msg1433551#msg1433551

Go ahead. Do it. Don't just sit there and type your usual nonsense. Quote the post and show me where I attacked any of you for stating what you did.

It seems like some of you look for any reason you can to try to make me remain quiet and not post anything.
Which is funny. So basically if you had your way, I would not post on the forum I started.

Your constant need to paint yourself as a victim is becoming tiresome. You constantly take digs at GN'R and yet I'm "passive aggressive". Rarely does a day pass where you don't complain about something that has happened in the past. But never mind that, poor you! * Hugs *  ok

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 120 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: