Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 04:03:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228095 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl confirmed as new singer for AC/DC tour (June 1, 2016: US dates announced)
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 120 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl confirmed as new singer for AC/DC tour (June 1, 2016: US dates announced)  (Read 500289 times)
Bazfreak
VIP

Wololoo

« Reply #1320 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »

Do you guys think that he will keep this level for the GNR tour? I saw a video from a professional singing teacher saying that Axl never lost his ability to "rasp" if you will...its just a mater of sparing his voice so he can have a longer career. What happens is...with ACDC Axl is givin 100%, every concert...thats why everybody is in awe...like...wow, this guy can sing...yes he can and always could, however with GNR (his regular job) he spares his charge. I do hope he carry on with this effort for the rest of the tour but it may be tough for him so dont create expectations!

Heres the video...its in portuguese and most of you wont understand a thing, but he basically says what I described above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymfmUhCzdk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:37:40 AM by Bazfreak » Logged

14/apr/2010 @Apoteose Rio | 02/oct/2011 @Rock in Rio 2011 | 20/mar/2014 @HSBC Arena Rio | 12/nov/2016 @Alllianz Park S?o Paulo | 15/nov/2016 @Est?dio Engenh?o Rio | 23/sep/2017 @ Rock in Rio 2017
alcapone_dudu
Rocker

Black Frog

« Reply #1321 on: May 14, 2016, 11:01:32 AM »

Back in Black Marseille

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A174vSlLKz4

Scream at 1:55 is just ... unreal.

This is huge! So happy for Axl.

The best frontman around! No doubt about it.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #1322 on: May 14, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »

If You Want Blood (You've Got It): https://www.facebook.com/gnrlatinoamerica/videos/1066853620055272/

First time since 2003

Axl's screams at 2:55 & 3:25 are magically mind bending!

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #1323 on: May 14, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »

Back in Black Marseille

This is huge! So happy for Axl.

The best frontman around! No doubt about it.

Axl says, "I'm not used to this daylight thing, I think I'm allergic".

An inside joke for us long time Gunners.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #1324 on: May 14, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »

Do you guys think that he will keep this level for the GNR tour? I saw a video from a professional singing teacher saying that Axl never lost his ability to "rasp" if you will...its just a mater of sparing his voice so he can have a longer career. What happens is...with ACDC Axl is givin 100%, every concert...thats why everybody is in awe...like...wow, this guy can sing...yes he can and always could, however with GNR (his regular job) he spares his charge. I do hope he carry on with this effort for the rest of the tour but it may be tough for him so dont create expectations!

Heres the video...its in portuguese and most of you wont understand a thing, but he basically says what I described above.

This has always been my sense of things... he never lost the authentic shriek (although even THAT sounds better than the UYI years, imo). But in recent years he embedded this other high-register voice (which I've heard described as the Mickey Mouse voice) into every show, every song, during the majority of high-register/non-chorus parts.

It was always known that his original (Live like a Suicide, Appetite) voice was physically disastrous----it sounded amazing but would only be a matter of time before he permanently destroyed his ability to sing. This goes back to the Appetite tour, but especially during the UYI tour, when the shows were all 'rasp' voice... no Mickey Mouse voice in the playbook then.... except that, as often as not, it sounded awful and painful, as if he had strep throat. That's obviously because he was shredding his vocal cords right before our eyes, on a nightly basis. I believe he started the proper vocal training back then. Essentially pushing his voice out from the diaphragm, as an opera or jazz singer does.

But it was many years on that he had fully developed this whole other singing style, which was more technically correct and sustainable, but it probably takes a lot more control and precision, otherwise it could sound like Mickey Mouse... especially when heard via poor sound mixes, bad bootlegs in particular. (It actually sounded very good in a proper live setting, which explains a lot about why artists would care about having terrible bootlegs all over the place, destroying their reputation and damaging their ability to sell tickets.)

He unveiled this new voice on 01.01.2001, with the new band. I was there and it sound fantastic. Unfortunately the Mickey Mouse voice is what people heard during the 2002 VMAs. And we've consistently heard that voice, sometimes successfully, other times less so, live and even in studio recordings, with only pepperings of the old voice. The rasp, the snarl, the shriek... whatever you call it... was saved for a chorus here, a fuck you there, whenever there was an opportunity to sriek out a long vowel sound.

So I too am shocked, and not a little worried, to hear the '87 voice 100% of the time, and for a band that isn't Guns N Roses, instead of just 20% of the time like he'd been doing over the last 15 years. Only time will tell if this is sustainable.... who knows, maybe there's a technically proper way for him to do the rasp/snarl voice.... or if he's just in a mindset to burn it up while he still can. All I know is that he sounds incredible. Better than anytime since the 80s.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:34:15 PM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
calibus
Opening Act

« Reply #1325 on: May 14, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »

my first post..  been trolling here for years. 

the last post is spot on...   and has me worried
that he will damage his voice...   like in Spain at
the end of we salute you song....   I hope he tones
it down a little..  he already proved he can sing
acdc songs like a boss...
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1326 on: May 14, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »

Back in Black Marseille

"I'm not used to this day light thing. I think I'm allergic"

Hahahahaha
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1327 on: May 14, 2016, 02:14:32 PM »

I watched this video yesterday. I understand where he's coming from. But he kinda assumes Axl has no idea what he does with his voice, like someone eating sugar desperatly after a severe diet. I don't believe for a second that Axl is so reckless with his own instrument/life resource. I think he knows exactly how far he can get with his voice and when he needs to push the envelope to get where he wants. Of course we're talking about his throat, it's not exactly like tuning an old guitar. Still, it's not exactly like a regular muscle. Just listen to how powerful Steven Tyler's voice still is.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #1328 on: May 14, 2016, 05:10:30 PM »

I watched this video yesterday. I understand where he's coming from. But he kinda assumes Axl has no idea what he does with his voice, like someone eating sugar desperatly after a severe diet. I don't believe for a second that Axl is so reckless with his own instrument/life resource. I think he knows exactly how far he can get with his voice and when he needs to push the envelope to get where he wants. Of course we're talking about his throat, it's not exactly like tuning an old guitar. Still, it's not exactly like a regular muscle. Just listen to how powerful Steven Tyler's voice still is.

Exactly- give Axl just a little credit for knowing what he is doing and how hard he can push himself- after all he has been doing this for +25 years.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Boobach
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1329 on: May 14, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »

Mickey Mouse voice, while amusing, is too insulting.  I prefer to call it falsetto.  I always assumed it was a result of damaging his vocal chords during GNRs heyday.

Axl sounds amazing on these AC/DC songs.  Praying he still sounds as good when GNR reconvenes.
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1330 on: May 14, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »

About singing like that.

I played a show last night as Dizzy in the tribute band Appetite For Destruction at Starland Ballroom in New Jersey.

We opened with "Out Ta Get Me" and unbeknownst to me our singer Axl Rob ran and fell right off stage on the 2nd line of the song. He was wearing sunglasses and it was dark and he miscalculated where the edge was. He performed like nothing was wrong (probably with adrenaline/endorphins masking the pain) for the next few tunes "It's So Easy", "Live & Let Die", "Jungle", "Crazy".. then at the end of our duet "Don't Cry" Rob pointed at me to sing the ending (with an ice pack on his arm) and he leaves the stage. I thought it was some kind of joke like "haha Axl stormed off stage like the 90's". I ask the crowd "What happened? You didn't hit him with a bottle I hope". I kill time playing a "Street Of Dreams" alone on stage on piano, then our Slash gets on the mic and announces "Rob took a really bad spill, our keyboardist JT is going to sing while Rob gets checked out by the EMTs". I take over as Axl for a few songs and it becomes clear that Rob is really really injured and can't finish the show. So I went on as Axl and did the whole rest of the set. I sang Nightrain, Michelle, Brownstone, Nov Rain, SCOM(+bad time),Patience, Used To Love Her, Civil War, Rocket Queen, Knockin, Paradise

I can barely speak today. There is no way I could do another show tonight. I could maybe sing Brownstone and Patience and then drink tea and cry for the rest of the night.

I went all out because that crowd was going nuts and I was super grateful for the chance to sing lead in a tribute band i went to see all through high school and college when there was no other band playing those songs live.

That was half a set. Granted I didn't do vocal warm ups or rest my voice all day, but again, I feel like i have sand paper in my throat after that show.

Whatever Axl is doing to get through these shows sounding that good/powerful/gritty especially back to back dates in Mexico City/Vegas it is extremely impressive.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #1331 on: May 14, 2016, 09:50:13 PM »

nice Grin

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1332 on: May 14, 2016, 11:38:08 PM »

I can barely speak today. There is no way I could do another show tonight. I could maybe sing Brownstone and Patience and then drink tea and cry for the rest of the night.
Hahahahaha

But did you use drive?

Appetitefordemocracy
Opening Act

« Reply #1333 on: May 15, 2016, 03:25:18 AM »

Seems like "common sense" posters have started to write about Axl's voice. It's not criticising, it's reality  Wink
Dakini
Opening Act

« Reply #1334 on: May 15, 2016, 04:50:32 AM »

So who'll be there on Monday in Werchter ?  I know I'll be  Grin
\o_ I'm in. Front row tomorrow!! Can't wait!!
I'm so expecting Axl to tweet a funny joke about hells bells or hellhole, referring to Trump calling Brussels a hellhole not long ago.  Wink

No, I won't be told anymore, that I've been brought down in this storm.
And left so far out from the shore, that I can't find my way back, my way anymore.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1335 on: May 15, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »

Maybe they should release a live album or DVD with the best performances from these concerts. I would buy it !

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #1336 on: May 15, 2016, 11:31:01 AM »

Could they play "Problem child"?

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1337 on: May 15, 2016, 12:31:57 PM »

So who'll be there on Monday in Werchter ?  I know I'll be  Grin
\o_ I'm in. Front row tomorrow!! Can't wait!!
I'm so expecting Axl to tweet a funny joke about hells bells or hellhole, referring to Trump calling Brussels a hellhole not long ago.  Wink

Front row ?  It's gonna be a long day then  Grin

Seems like I won't be taping after all :

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20160513_02288261

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
GNRMTL
Headliner

« Reply #1338 on: May 15, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »

Axl is on fire.  Looks great sounds great.  Loving thunderstruck.  Now I just need to hear them play ride on and who made who.

Miami 92
Montreal 92
Toronto 02
4 nights at the Hammerstein
Ottowa 06
Montreal 10
Hiro 12
Miami Filmore 12
Montreal 13
New Jersey 16
Montreal 17
GNRVahland