Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:41:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Eddie Trunk On GN'R Reunion 'It's A Big Question Mark How Far It Goes'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eddie Trunk On GN'R Reunion 'It's A Big Question Mark How Far It Goes'  (Read 16878 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »

Another great post from Pilferk  ok

Agree 100%

Thanks.

I get we all WANT to know what's going on, and the True Hollywood story of how it all came about.

But...Trunk speculating that the silence means anything other than "We don't want to talk about it right now. We'll comment when we see fit", and the rabble rousing it's doing is mind blowingly stupid.

He has an agenda (a financial one!), and it's pretty obvious he's a little ticked his buddies have cut him out of the conversation.

So he dreams something up that will, in one fell swoop, drive traffic and "egg on" his friends to comment to him.

I generally like Trunk. I've spent time with him, personally. But he is a SHAMELESS self promoter.  He always has been, and, to be honest, it's served him very well.

But you have to look at everything he says, about ever subject, publicly, through that lens.

GnR are silent, at this point, because they are, and reading any more into that, without direct input from "them" is sorta stupid, IMHO.  Especially when there is actually logical (and historical) basis for them to be silent, right now.

Are we not capable of just waiting to see what happens? Oh, wait...of course we aren't.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »

pilferk -

What would you say if we actually get all the way to that first gig in April, and we still hear nothing about a full tour?

As I, and a few others have said, our FB pages are filled with news of other bands playing summer gigs.  Some with dates well in advance, as late as late August.

I guess my question to you really is that will there ever be a point you are willing to say "OK, now its finally a bit odd we still know nothing".  Is that even in the cards for you?

1) I'll let you know in late April "how I feel".  Why do I have to predict my reaction to something "now", that's potentially 8 weeks away? Is that the way you live your life? Perpetually looking for (relatively inconsequential) potholes months away and predicting how you will react?  I don't generally live my life playing a big game of "what if"

I'd say that, if we hit May 1, with no tour announcement a) I'd be shocked and b)I'd say chances for a summer stadium tour are low, especially considering there are July dates that are quasi-booked, and 8 weeks prior to some of those dates might be a stretch for an on sale.  Not out of the realm of possibility, but....a stretch. 

Having said that, early late February is a LONG way from May 1.  If you took that same time period (between now and May 1 is, what...68 days?) and went BACKWARDS...we don't even have shows announced, or a confirmation of the reunion.

But none of that has anything to do with press....

2) I think I outlined, in my post above, when I would feel that way. So, yeah....it is.

But that times isn't now. Not even close.

So now my question:

Is it ever in the cards for you to not jump at the first inkling of an inklng of a possibility that things aren't going exactly as you would like, jump on it, assume the worst possible outcome, and run, screaming with it like the place is on fire?  Is that in the cards for you?

I'm being glib, but honestly....it's a thing for you.  Your level of patience, in general, is TERRIBLE.  I'm not asking you to be all kittens and rainbows, but jeesh...the sky is constantly falling with you.  Sit back, take a deep breath, and maybe enjoy the ride a little?  See how things play out a bit.  It's the 1st quarter. Lebron only has 8....doesn't mean he won't have 45 by the end of the game (or half time). 

We have a reunion.

We have shows booked.

There are RUMORS of new music and a larger tour.

And you want to jump on why...when there's no real tangible benefit to doing it TODAY, right now...GnR isn't out talking to everyone who will listen (or maybe just Kimmel).

We can do that later. I promise.  If they haven't done press by shortly after (a week or two) a larger tour goes on sale, I'll even agree with you and buy more rounds of patron.

That's what this is about, huh?  I haven't bought rounds in a couple days.....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:24:02 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »

Keep fighting the good fight, pilferk...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 12:35:35 PM »

Is it ever in the cards for you to not jump at the first inkling of an inklng of a possibility that things aren't going exactly as you would like, jump on it, assume the worst possible outcome, and run, screaming with it like the place is on fire?  Is that in the cards for you?

I look at each situation independently and judge it on its own merits.

Examples :

- Thought the Coachella rollout was well done.  Said so.
- Thought the way the fan club has taken care of fans for tickets was well done.  Said so.
- Thought the early talk about how quickly the band got into rehearsals was encouraging.  Said so.

- Thought the Kimmel thing was sloppily handled and fed into the stereotype this band is the gang that can't shoot straight.  Said so.
- Think the fact they can't even so much as announce a line-up is a bit odd.  Said so.
- A bit concerned how much people seem to embrace that this is the most fragile situation in music history and all this silence is needed, lest it all goes to hell.  Said so.

In a nutshell, I never start from the point that whatever course of action the band takes is obviously the right one.  And then set out to browbeat anyone that doesn't feel that is their duty as a "good fan" to view everything through that prism.  I find that that to be faulty logic, and a mindset only embraced by people with that same approach to everything.

I will never accept simply saying "does <insert subject here> seem odd to anyone else?" should always, always be met with "you got some fucking set of balls on you, ingrate."

Never have, never will.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »

Trunk may have added motivation for some self promotion as well, did anyone read the statement following TMS being dropped?

Here it is:

VH1 Classic has decided against producing any more episodes of "That Metal Show", the hard rock/heavy metal talk show hosted by Eddie Trunk, Don Jamieson and Jim Florentine.

Trunk, Jamieson and Florentine said in a statement: "It has been an incredible run of eight years, roughly 125 episodes and some really cool specials.

"The global response to 'That Metal Show' has been simply amazing, and we will be eternally grateful for the support from the rock and metal fans that have showed us so much love. We truly would have never made it as long as we did without you! A huge thanks also to the great crews we had over the years both in New York City and Los Angeles, to our producer Jeff Baumgardner, and to all the executives at VH1. And finally, thanks to the hundreds of artists that joined us on our set, had fun with us, shared their stories and many, many laughs. From the biggest names in rock history, to the up-and-comers: we thank you all for being a part of it.

"Of course we very much want to keep 'That Metal Show' alive, and with the blessing of VH1 Classic, we've got the keys to the show and are currently searching for a new home. We're not sure where we'll land, but we hope to be back in our studio and your living rooms as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep an eye out for us on the road and come say, 'Hello.'

"Thank you for watching all these years, and we'll keep you posted as soon as we have news to share."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/vh1-classic-will-no-longer-produce-that-metal-show/#ZUHqXZZOsfB4PYL4.99

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »

Honestly, the episode Axl was on was the only one I ever saw.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »

I look at each situation independently and judge it on its own merits.

I know you think that...or at least purport to. I'd offer up your view is as askew as Kevin Smiths and, since you're so close to the "situation", your assessment might be off.

Because I will tell you, categorically, thats not the case. You bring your bias to every discussion. We all do.....yours is just different than others bias.

You jump from the other side of the pool, and have to be dragged to the shallow end.  

Examples :

- Thought the Coachella rollout was well done.  Said so.
- Thought the way the fan club has taken care of fans for tickets was well done.  Said so.
- Thought the early talk about how quickly the band got into rehearsals was encouraging.  Said so.

- Thought the Kimmel thing was sloppily handled and fed into the stereotype this band is the gang that can't shoot straight.  Said so.
- Think the fact they can't even so much as announce a line-up is a bit odd.  Said so.
- A bit concerned how much people seem to embrace that this is the most fragile situation in music history and all this silence is needed, lest it all goes to hell.  Said so.

Let me translate:

When its a no brainer, and no reasonable person on mother earth could think otherwise, I will grudgingly...VERY grudgingly and in as few words as possible...give credit where it's due.

And in ANY situation where I can be the contrarian, and point out the foibles, I will. At great length.

Because honestly, thats the way it looks.

To be clear: I'm generally OK with that.  We'll do our back and forths, but I don't take you to task for being who you are, and "doing you".  Honestly, it forces me to examine and work through the logic behind my own opinions, which is always good (and sometimes challenging..though this isn't one of those times).

BUT, there is a difference between THAT, and the jumping off point HERE (and in other spots). This is flat out reactionary.  It's jumping to judgement, and defending the position, when there's no real reason to get there, yet.  It's taking the first inkling of anything negative and, like a dog with a bone, just not letting go. You're rabble allowing yourself to be roused (and I do blame Trunk, at least a bit, in this instance).

It's not about kittens and rainbows, here. It's about patience.

In a nutshell, I never start from the point that whatever course of action the band takes is obviously the right one. 

So...that's what I just said.  You don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt. It's guilty until proven innocent. And, in this case, it's THE FIRST SIGN OF "guilt", because they're not doing exactly what you think they should, when they should, for no good reason, really.

And then set out to browbeat anyone that doesn't feel that is their duty as a "good fan" to view everything through that prism.  I find that that to be faulty logic, and a mindset only embraced by people with that same approach to everything.

Great, but...you're having the discussion with me.  And that's not what I'm doing.

I've laid out a well though out, logical reason why they might be doing what they're doing.  And I'm saying you're being impatient to rush to judgement. That you often are.

Show me where I said you weren't a good fan, in this discussion, and I'll buy you a BOTTLE of patron.

I will never accept simply saying "does <insert subject here> seem odd to anyone else?" should always, always be met with "you got some fucking set of balls on you, ingrate."

Never have, never will.

And it wasn't, here.

It was met with "Here's why its not odd"...and "you're being a little hasty, here, all things considered" as the post script.

To which you're decending into a tirade about how you're being persecuted.

Which..honestly...demonstrates the strength of part 1, above, and the truth behind part 2.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:52:17 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Annie
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »

Honestly, the episode Axl was on was the only one I ever saw.
Me too. Great find Emily.  ok I understand his anger and desperation more now. He still annoys me and Karma has come to collect her due from him.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »

Trunk may have added motivation for some self promotion as well, did anyone read the statement following TMS being dropped?

Here it is:

VH1 Classic has decided against producing any more episodes of "That Metal Show", the hard rock/heavy metal talk show hosted by Eddie Trunk, Don Jamieson and Jim Florentine.

Trunk, Jamieson and Florentine said in a statement: "It has been an incredible run of eight years, roughly 125 episodes and some really cool specials.

"The global response to 'That Metal Show' has been simply amazing, and we will be eternally grateful for the support from the rock and metal fans that have showed us so much love. We truly would have never made it as long as we did without you! A huge thanks also to the great crews we had over the years both in New York City and Los Angeles, to our producer Jeff Baumgardner, and to all the executives at VH1. And finally, thanks to the hundreds of artists that joined us on our set, had fun with us, shared their stories and many, many laughs. From the biggest names in rock history, to the up-and-comers: we thank you all for being a part of it.

"Of course we very much want to keep 'That Metal Show' alive, and with the blessing of VH1 Classic, we've got the keys to the show and are currently searching for a new home. We're not sure where we'll land, but we hope to be back in our studio and your living rooms as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep an eye out for us on the road and come say, 'Hello.'

"Thank you for watching all these years, and we'll keep you posted as soon as we have news to share."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/vh1-classic-will-no-longer-produce-that-metal-show/#ZUHqXZZOsfB4PYL4.99

Yeah, I think I mentioned that his show had been dropped earlier in the thread.

Thats been one of my points, in all this. Trunk is engaging in self-promotion, to raise his own profile, and relate himself to a topic thats big news right now.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »

So...that's what I just said.  You don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt. It's guilty until proven innocent. And, in this case, it's THE FIRST SIGN OF "guilt", because they're not doing exactly what you think they should, when they should, for no good reason, really.

I give it when its earned.  This band has long extinguished any reasonable expectation of the concept, in my opinion.

Like what I've seen in 2016, for the most part.  Already seen more cohesion and general competence in the past 2-3 months than I saw in 10 years.  In many ways, in my opinion, its a new day and a better day for GNR fans.  For the most part, they should be commended.

But are we really saying that the band doesn't know who is taking the stage on 4/8/16?  Is that what we're saying?  That doesn't strike me true.  5 weeks out and its still anybody's guess who will be there striking the opening chords?  Really?  Seems hard to believe.

And I struggle to see all the supposed risk in a release saying "here is who will be playing".  If for no other reason than to get people to stop asking the question.

Also tend to think segments of this fanbase, you very much included here, will bend over backwards and work overtime to come up with reasons its all part of the plan.

Sometimes, you just have to say, "that's kind of weird" and not have it be found nefarious.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »

Regarding an announcement of the tour..

If they are consciously marketing the return of Axl/Slash/Duff to sell the most tickets that they can, then the announcement of a full tour would have to come before the first show.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2016, 01:05:09 PM »

If they are consciously marketing the return of Axl/Slash/Duff to sell the most tickets that they can, then the announcement of a full tour would have to come before the first show.

Was talking just yesterday to one of my buddies who wants to go.

He was saying that he didn't think they would announce dates until they see how Coachella goes.

I countered with the possibility that the full list drops the weekend they play Vegas, and the band can tell people to check them out when they get home.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2016, 01:16:38 PM »

Was talking just yesterday to one of my buddies who wants to go.

He was saying that he didn't think they would announce dates until they see how Coachella goes.

I countered with the possibility that the full list drops the weekend they play Vegas, and the band can tell people to check them out when they get home.

I'm just thinking of reasons to keep the line-up of the band a secret.

Marketing purposes seems like a good reason.

Once that first show starts, everyone knows the line-up.

If the secrecy of the line-up is indeed done for marketing, it would make more sense to have tickets go on sale before April 8.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »

I give it when its earned.  This band has long extinguished any reasonable expectation of the concept, in my opinion.

Like what I've seen in 2016, for the most part.  Already seen more cohesion and general competence in the past 2-3 months than I saw in 10 years.  In many ways, in my opinion, its a new day and a better day for GNR fans.  For the most part, they should be commended.

So, short term (and we are definitely in the short term)...that doesn't buy them the benefit of the doubt?

But are we really saying that the band doesn't know who is taking the stage on 4/8/16?  Is that what we're saying?  That doesn't strike me true.  5 weeks out and its still anybody's guess who will be there striking the opening chords?  Really?  Seems hard to believe.

You might be saying that.

I'm saying there's no benefit, at this point, to making the announcement as to who is going to be on stage, when.

I think they do know.  And they're not saying.  For reasons.

I don't demand the right to know those reasons, or their logic.  I can see a few logical paths to why that might be..and that's good enough for me.  And, generally, I'd be OK with "Because we don't wanna", too.  Because, as you cite above, history tells me they have good reason to not talk about it.

What if the answer is: Izzy and Stephen for 7 songs, Frank and Richard for 12 songs, and everyone for the encore. And Chris and Dizzy on keyboards at various points throughout the show.

Can you see how talking about that might breed confusion over just letting it actually happen, organically, on stage? Or how it might work out if Izzy flaked or Stephen ended up unable to perform day of show?  And..to what benefit for them, making that announcement vs the potential harm?

And I struggle to see all the supposed risk in a release saying "here is who will be playing".  If for no other reason than to get people to stop asking the question.

I just layed it out.

And the better question is: Whats the benefit to them, rather than "whats the harm".

You're looking at is as the guy who desperately wants information, rather than the entity who holds the information.  You have different goals and objectives.  There's your answer to your question.

Also tend to think segments of this fanbase, you very much included here, will bend over backwards and work overtime to come up with reasons its all part of the plan.

Sometimes, you just have to say, "that's kind of weird."

I will pursue logic and evidence over suppostition and conjecture every time, yes. Maybe to a fault.  I don't see that as bending over backwards, though YMMV.  In this case, for SURE, that's not the case.  It's a simple concept.  There's no hoops to leap through.  It's a simple question: Whats the benefit for them.

The answer is: There isn't any.

Case solved.

And sometimes I do say "That's kinda weird".  But my jump off point is, since I'm not intimately involved in the day to day...the people behind the scenes likely know more than me...so are better equipped to make decisions  than I am.  That's not to say they can't make mistakes...they can, and have.  And we've talked about them before.

I will also go the flip side on you, and say pot, kettle, black. Because some people, and I would very much put you in that number, bend over backwards and work overtime to find fault, and always assume the worst, and point out that "whatever" is NOT part of the plan, both in terms of the reasoning behind the decision and the outcome.  So I guess we both have our crosses to bear. Wink

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2016, 01:20:40 PM »

I actually think, if you can, you push it to either between the Vegas and Coachella shows, or between the two Coachella weekends.

But that 's just me.  I'm not sure they can logistically do that.  Maybe.

Because it gives those who have any doubt some show history to see whats what.

I actually expect they'll announce something much sooner than that....maybe around mid March.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:49 PM »

I'm just thinking of reasons to keep the line-up of the band a secret.

Marketing purposes seems like a good reason.

Once that first show starts, everyone knows the line-up.

If the secrecy of the line-up is indeed done for marketing, it would make more sense to have tickets go on sale before April 8.

But are you almost implying they are being deliberately obtuse, if not dishonest? If you are not, I apologize, but just wondering.

I have to think if Izzy and Steven were part of this, they'd be on the poster too, right?  Are you suggesting they are holding off on that in hopes someone might think they will be the other 2 guys?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2016, 01:24:24 PM »

I actually expect they'll announce something much sooner than that....maybe around mid March.

The other part of that is that perhaps some of these unsubstantiated rumors about having holds on certain venues for certain dates, things are already in hand.

I just don't know what sort of lead time these venues insist on.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »

The other part of that is that perhaps some of these unsubstantiated rumors about having holds on certain venues for certain dates, things are already in hand.

I just don't know what sort of lead time these venues insist on.

For these venues, the announcement *has to* happen fairly soon.  Other big name acts are already well into sales for similar venues this summer.  If it's still going through, I'm going to say full announcement in March as well.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »

For these venues, the announcement *has to* happen fairly soon.  Other big name acts are already well into sales for similar venues this summer.  If it's still going through, I'm going to say full announcement in March as well.

Yeah, I keep coming back to that too.

Country festivals, Pearl Jam, Buffet, Beyonc?, Coldplay...they all litter my FB feed with dates 5, even 6 months from now. 

Seems to me they didn't already lock this up and get it all announced already just for the hell of it.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2016, 01:42:20 PM »

Yeah, I keep coming back to that too.

Country festivals, Pearl Jam, Buffet, Beyonc?, Coldplay...they all litter my FB feed with dates 5, even 6 months from now. 

Seems to me they didn't already lock this up and get it all announced already just for the hell of it.

And, ya know, I don't expect these guys to come out of a blimp to announce this ala The Stones, but it would be pretty neat if we got some quotes from the big three.  Just, you know, something other than the dates appearing one day on the website.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: