Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Eddie Trunk On GN'R Reunion 'It's A Big Question Mark How Far It Goes'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eddie Trunk On GN'R Reunion 'It's A Big Question Mark How Far It Goes'  (Read 16850 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 09:30:27 AM »

This promotional "strategy" is weird.

Now some people get all hot and bothered and start with the impassioned defenses.  I'm not saying its bad, just that its odd.

But, just to throw some red meat to the folks that live for the perceived slight, do you think there is any correlation between not doing any promotion whatsoever and the fact this is far more business than something they are gung ho about?  Like...is this more just a job than fun?

As much as I'd like to hear these guys spell out the "whys" behind the reunion, I do get that the media hasn't exactly been kind as far as fanning the flames of the feud between these guys over the many years it's taken to get here.  I get that there would be concerns about words being twisted and under the belt questions being thrown their way, potentially derailing what may be a fragile truce.  

At this point, I'd rather they concentrate on rehearsals and putting together the best GNR show ever.  And maybe, just maybe, readying some new music.  I could see why doing any sort of media would be a risk and a distraction before these shows are under way, as much as I want to hear them blab for selfish reasons.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:33:01 AM by sofine11 » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 09:37:39 AM »

This promotional "strategy" is weird.

Now some people get all hot and bothered and start with the impassioned defenses.  I'm not saying its bad, just that its odd.

But, just to throw some red meat to the folks that live for the perceived slight, do you think there is any correlation between not doing any promotion whatsoever and the fact this is far more business than something they are gung ho about?  Like...is this more just a job than fun?

As much as I'd like to hear these guys spell out the "whys" behind the reunion, I do get that the media hasn't exactly been kind as far as fanning the flames of the feud between these guys over the many years it's taken to get here.  I get that there would be concerns about words being twisted and under the belt questions being thrown their way, potentially derailing what may be a fragile truce.  

At this point, I'd rather they concentrate on rehearsals and putting together the best GNR show ever.  And maybe, just maybe, readying some new music.  I could see why doing any sort of media would be a risk and a distraction before these shows are under way, as much as I want to hear them blab for selfish reasons.

And, lets face it, they've been burned before when stuff they've (esp Axl) said hasn't gone exactly, 100%, as described as it's planned at that exact moment in time.

So I can understand, as GnR, how you might wait a little longer to talk about details than, say, Beyonce or Aerosmith or whatever.  You want to make sure that, when you go out there and say your piece, it's going to go EXACTLY as described, so you can't get raked over the coals over any niggling detail differences.

And for those that say that wouldn't happen: Bullshit.  Because it has happened, and continues to happen.

I think the major details are in place, including dates and venue reservations, by and large.  They're just getting everything together.  And I suspect that after the US tour is announced, or maybe just before the first show, we'll get more details and explanation and press.

But, for now....lets be honest: What does the press get them? They've sold out practically every show announced so far, and SUPER fast.  So.....the extra press gets them..what at this exact moment?

While coinciding it with the actual announcment of a US stadium tour raises awareness and might get more ticket buys. Right?  Or maybe just after that announcement?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »

Yeah, agreed.

If they just released a the full slate of dates, I think that's enough.  That's more important to me than some blow by blow of the past 20 years.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 09:44:39 AM »

But, for now....lets be honest: What does the press get them? They've sold out practically every show announced so far, and SUPER fast.  So.....the extra press gets them..what at this exact moment?

While coinciding it with the actual announcment of a US stadium tour raises awareness and might get more ticket buys. Right?  Or maybe just after that announcement?

Probably a bit of a stretch to say they "sold out" Coachella.  Was encouraging how quickly the Las Vegas tickets went though.

As soon as they release dates, that's picked up by every outlet.  We'll all start to get ads and such on our FB pages and so forth.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »

Probably a bit of a stretch to say they "sold out" Coachella.  Was encouraging how quickly the Las Vegas tickets went though.

As soon as they release dates, that's picked up by every outlet.  We'll all start to get ads and such on our FB pages and so forth.

Tickets went on sale after the announcment, yes? They sold out, yes?

If you want to quibble and say that they were not the entire reason for that...fair enough.  But in this case it's purely a semantic argument in nature.

Because, the point remains: The tickets sold out like gangbusters, essentially in minutes for all but one show (and that show really only has limited tickets left), in every show that they are on the bill for.

What would additional press have gotten them in that scenario, for Coachella?  In Vegas? In Mexico?

Answer: Nothing, really. At most, maybe they sell out the 2nd show in Mexico's crappy/solo seats.

So why does it not make sense to hold that stuff back until it garners you an advantage or tangible benefit?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:13:24 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »

Tickets went on sale after the announcment, yes? They sold out, yes?

Just a small batch I believe.

I think the majority of tickets were sold last summer.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »

[

If past years are any indication..the majority of weekend one tickets are sold at the presale, and the majority of weekend 2 are held for the general onsale.

It's been pretty close to 50/50...maybe 60/40..in years past.

Was this year advertised as different?

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 11:16:10 AM »

Has Coachella ever not sold out?

Don't know.  Just asking.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »

Yes. Though it's sold out the past few years, as it's notoriety has increased.

Which, actually, only substantiates the point I'm making.

Edit: Specifically, it did not sell out in 2008....I don't think it sold out in 2009, though it may have sold out JUST prior to the event.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:23:20 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »

Yes. Though it's sold out the past few years, as it's notoriety has increased.

Which, actually, only substantiates the point I'm making.

Does it though?

If that's true, would it not still be sold out, Guns N' Roses or no Guns N' Roses?

Is this like saying you are taking full credit for selling out the Super Bowl?

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 11:25:53 AM »

[

If past years are any indication..the majority of weekend one tickets are sold at the presale, and the majority of weekend 2 are held for the general onsale.

I don't think it was advertised with any numbers like that.

Going by the wording used in articles/info about the January sale, it leads me to believe that the January release was smaller than the June 4th one.

"... make sure you?re one of the lucky few who manage to snag a ticket to the festival."

"Anything we have left will go on sale when the line up comes out next year."

"... but some more general admission passes will go on sale Wednesday January 6, 2016 at 11am PST?while supples last, which won't be long."

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »

Does it though?

If that's true, would it not still be sold out, Guns N' Roses or no Guns N' Roses?

Is this like saying you are taking full credit for selling out the Super Bowl?

You're not reading the actual point, you're fixating on a semantic detail. So, yes, it does

What would press gain them?

Regardless of why you think Coachella sold out...what benefit does extra press get them.

In fact, if it sells out regardless, that furthers the point: There's no benefit because it's going to sell out anyway.

And Vegas/Mexico did likewise, absent press.

So.....now...wanna tackle the question/point?

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 11:34:23 AM »

[

I don't think it was advertised with any numbers like that.

Going by the wording used in articles/info about the January sale, it leads me to believe that the January release was smaller than the June 4th one.

"... make sure you?re one of the lucky few who manage to snag a ticket to the festival."

"Anything we have left will go on sale when the line up comes out next year."

"... but some more general admission passes will go on sale Wednesday January 6, 2016 at 11am PST?while supples last, which won't be long."

I can only tell you, based on wrap up reports, how it's worked in previous years.  The don't release concrete numbers, but they have said the above (from my post) in their wrap ups the past 4 years.

We'll have to wait until late may/early june when the 2016 info gets released to know for sure.

They used similar wording, above, for the advance sale, along with "your only chance to use the payment plan". It's marketing speak to drive urgency (which is warrented, all things considered).

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 11:35:45 AM »

For Coachella?  None.  The event sells itself.

For a supposed nationwide stadium tour where you are selling yourself?  I think some widespread mainstream press is perhaps a better strategy than hearing from a guy that knows a guy that may or may not be Eddie Money on a fan message board.

But perhaps you need to enter a conversation not starting from the base point that whatever they happen to be doing is obviously brilliant.  Don't know.

TokyoRose
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 11:37:55 AM »

This position the band is in is very sensitive.  I don't think anyone wants to spoil it. 

The fact is there are no real answers (imo) for the bad things that were said. They arent
ready to deal with any of it.  Get some shows under their belt, and things might change.

For now everyone just wants to make it through the first leg/round.

Everyone is walking on egg shells to make this work.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »

This position the band is in is very sensitive.  I don't think anyone wants to spoil it. 

The fact is there are no real answers (imo) for the bad things that were said.  Time just passed, and they
arent ready to deal with any of it.  Get some shows under their belt, and things might change.

We are still talking about a rock band's summer tour, right?  Not a nuclear arms treaty??

I get that point you are making, but its getting a little overdone, no?

Annie
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »

The fact is there are no real answers (imo) for the bad things that were said. They arent
ready to deal with any of it.  Get some shows under their belt, and things might change.

With all due respect how do you know what is going on in the inner circles of GNR? I think they are holding back because so much of the media in the music world has a twisted agenda. Duff spoke about this in his book. I don't think anybody is walking on eggshells. I like the anticipation.
I also think the only interviews Trunk will get will be with Stevie saying how he should be the full time drummer after his little high wears off from guest appearances.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:44:23 AM by Little EMO Annie » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 11:47:48 AM »

For Coachella?  None.  The event sells itself.

For a supposed nationwide stadium tour where you are selling yourself?  I think some widespread mainstream press is perhaps a better strategy than hearing from a guy that knows a guy that may or may not be Eddie Money on a fan message board.

But perhaps you need to enter a conversation not starting from the base point that whatever they happen to be doing is obviously brilliant.  Don't know.

You're making my point, for me.  That's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

No benefit for Coachella, or Vegas, or Mexico.

Has there been a nationwide stadium tour announced yet?  No.  So why do the press, yet?  You're saying, above, that as soon as it's rumored they should comment? Because Eddy Money is? You think the average ticket buyers attention span is THAT long, if the announcement is still a bit down the line? I mean, Coachella was announced almost 8 weeks ago.  Or that, if they comment, and some niggling details turn out to be wrong, they won't take flak for it?  You're arguing they should do press WHEN THERE IS NO EARTHLY BENEFIT OR REASON TO DO IT AT THIS POINT. Is that clearer? It makes little sense to do press without benefit.

If you wait until JUST prior to the announcement of that tour, or just AFTER the announcement of the tour...you garner the most benefit of that press.  Because it, in itself, is news, and drives eyeballs to the onsale.  It makes the interest in you "fresh", while tickets are on sale (or about to be on sale) in an endeavor that you might actually derive some benefit from the press.

I'd offer the opposite is also true, and probably MORE true: Assuming they are fuck ups, and everything they do is wrong, is likely not a great jumping off point.  And we're not really at a point where what is being suggested is strictly necessary. So saying "Lets wait and see what they do at the point it would ACTUALLY make sense to be doing press" isn't such a crazy notion.

I'm certainly not arguing what they're doing is brilliant. I'm telling you that, in the world of PR, what they're currently doing actually makes sense.  Now...if they announce a tour, tickets go on sale across the country, and that isn't shortly followed by some press...then, yeah, we can scratch our heads and pozit why that is, and maybe play some monday morning QB.

Now?  Too early in the game.

Unless you're Trunk, and trying to drive traffic to your site, and you're butthurt that you weren't the first phone call after the guys got back together.

You're not, are you?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:49:38 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »

Another great post from Pilferk  ok

Agree 100%

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 12:08:01 PM »

pilferk -

What would you say if we actually get all the way to that first gig in April, and we still hear nothing about a full tour?

As I, and a few others have said, our FB pages are filled with news of other bands playing summer gigs.  Some with dates well in advance, as late as late August.

I guess my question to you really is that will there ever be a point you are willing to say "OK, now its finally a bit odd we still know nothing".  Is that even in the cards for you?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: