Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:29:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Eddie Trunk On GN'R Reunion 'It's A Big Question Mark How Far It Goes'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eddie Trunk On GN'R Reunion 'It's A Big Question Mark How Far It Goes'  (Read 16734 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2016, 01:42:53 PM »

I'm just thinking of reasons to keep the line-up of the band a secret.

Marketing purposes seems like a good reason.

Once that first show starts, everyone knows the line-up.

If the secrecy of the line-up is indeed done for marketing, it would make more sense to have tickets go on sale before April 8.

But are you almost implying they are being deliberately obtuse, if not dishonest? If you are not, I apologize, but just wondering.

I have to think if Izzy and Steven were part of this, they'd be on the poster too, right?  Are you suggesting they are holding off on that in hopes someone might think they will be the other 2 guys?

Not dishonest. They aren't saying anywhere that there will be appearances by any other classic member, or that this is a full reunion.

It's not a slight against Richard & co, but they aren't as well known as the main three. But, after the full line-up has been revealed, I think the advertisement will include pictures/video the rest of the guys in the band. So, up until that time comes, there's nothing wrong with showing just Axl, Slash and Duff in the videos. I just don't think they can use that approach after April 8.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »

It's not a slight against Richard & co, but they aren't as well known as the main three. But, after the full line-up has been revealed, I think the advertisement will include pictures/video the rest of the guys in the band. So, up until that time comes, there's nothing wrong with showing just Axl, Slash and Duff in the videos. I just don't think they can use that approach after April 8.

Gotcha.  Makes sense.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »

If the secrecy of the line-up is indeed done for marketing, it would make more sense to have tickets go on sale before April 8.

I think it's two fold:

There's no benefit (as I've been saying) to saying anything at this point.  Tickets are sold, so...as long as you know Slash/Duff/Axl....there's no benefit to saying more.  And there's no potential arguing over who is, and isn't, included or press snark about it (until after the first show, at least).  Keeps the press, during the wait, generally positive.

And two...if Izzy and/or Adler are involved...I don't think you want to advertise that,honestly.  It's great if they walk out as special guests, but if you don't advertise and either of them flake...you don't lose anything, either.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »

Regarding an announcement of the tour..

If they are consciously marketing the return of Axl/Slash/Duff to sell the most tickets that they can, then the announcement of a full tour would have to come before the first show.

I actually think, if you can, you push it to either between the Vegas and Coachella shows, or between the two Coachella weekends.

But that 's just me.  I'm not sure they can logistically do that.  Maybe.

Because it gives those who have any doubt some show history to see whats what.

I actually expect they'll announce something much sooner than that....maybe around mid March.

That would be logical, in order to bring along the people sitting on the fence.

The band has been rehearsing for some time, so I think it's safe to assume that they themselves knows who will play these shows. Yet, there's no mention of anyone other than Axl, Slash and Duff in the press releases and videos.

It just leads me to believe, there are some marketing purpose behind that.

I think it will seem a bit disrespectful to the rest of the band if they continue to push that strategy after it's been publicly known who's in the band. Therefore I think it's more legitimate to do this sort of marketing before the first show.

Sweetness is a virtue
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2016, 01:51:05 PM »

The other part of that is that perhaps some of these unsubstantiated rumors about having holds on certain venues for certain dates, things are already in hand.

I just don't know what sort of lead time these venues insist on.

Answer: It depends.  Every venue is different.

And, on top of that, venues aren't the only thing you're dealing with, logistically.  Teamsters, roadies, transportation (and I mean of the stage and equipment), security etc, etc, etc, etc.  

There's a lot of ducks to get in a row...even after the venues are reserved.

Edit: And if you mean: Lead time from on sale to show? There isn't one.  Venue gets paid either way. They just want the bookings.  Promoter is the one who cares more about ticket sales and they would drive the on sale date (as well as the rest), so no worries, really, there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:55:18 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »

I think it's two fold:

There's no benefit (as I've been saying) to saying anything at this point.  Tickets are sold, so...as long as you know Slash/Duff/Axl....there's no benefit to saying more.  And there's no potential arguing over who is, and isn't, included or press snark about it (until after the first show, at least).  Keeps the press, during the wait, generally positive.

And two...if Izzy and/or Adler are involved...I don't think you want to advertise that,honestly.  It's great if they walk out as special guests, but if you don't advertise and either of them flake...you don't lose anything, either.

Also, if Izzy & Adler are doing guest spots (the most likely scenario) I would imagine everyone would want to keep that a surprise for the shows. No sense blabbing about that prematurely, even from them.

And in regard to the marketing only including Axl/Slash/Duff so far, the rest of the band aren't stupid.  They know what a big moment in rock this is that these three are regrouping. I'm sure they're just absolutely thrilled to be part of it.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2016, 01:55:34 PM »

But I'm talking in relation to be able to use this same strategy for the full US tour.

If they want to do that, they would have to do it before the window closes at April 8.

The mystique factor they have now, will be gone after the first show. It might prove a powerful one, or not ? I don't know.  hihi

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »

And in regard to the marketing only including Axl/Slash/Duff so far, the rest of the band aren't stupid.  They know what a big moment in rock this is that these three are regrouping. I'm sure they're just absolutely thrilled to be part of it.

Yeah, I don't think the rest of the guys mind Axl, Slash and Duff being in the spotlight now. They are probably just as thrilled as us.  Cheesy

Once time progresses though, the regrouping seizes to be a "news item", and I would think Richard, Chris, Frank and Dizzy would eventually also want some recognition for being part of this.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »

Perhaps something got lost in translation here, but I've been talking about the proposed summer tour.  Certainly not suggesting that they need to do press for 2 shows and 2 festival dates already sold out.

But, full disclosure, once the band hits the stage on 4/8/16 and there are no more surprises, there will be little point to not announcing a full slate of dates at that point, if they had not yet done so.  At least in my opinion.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:10 PM »

But I'm talking in relation to be able to use this same strategy for the full US tour.

If they want to do that, they would have to do it before the window closes at April 8.

The mystique factor they have now, will be gone after the first show. It might prove a powerful one, or not ? I don't know.  hihi

MMMMMM....maybe.

I think they have to do press, but I think for the full tour you can say something like relatively vague that gives assurances, and leaves open the possibility of "occasionally some special guests and old friends" might pop in.

I don't think you have to say "Axl, Slash, Duff, Chris, Dizzy, Frank, and Richard" in so many concrete terms.

BUT, that being said, I think you should say SOMETHING about whether Adler and Izzy are on board full time or not, prior to, or just after, the US tour goes on sale.

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »

Yeah, I don't think the rest of the guys mind Axl, Slash and Duff being in the spotlight now. They are probably just as thrilled as us.  Cheesy

Once time progresses though, the regrouping seizes to be a "news item", and I would think Richard, Chris, Frank and Dizzy would eventually also want some recognition for being part of this.

Yeah, once the shows get rolling I'm sure we'll see some pro-shot promos of the entire band in all their glory.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2016, 02:04:57 PM »

Perhaps something got lost in translation here, but I've been talking about the proposed summer tour.  Certainly not suggesting that they need to do press for 2 shows and 2 festival dates already sold out.

But, full disclosure, once the band hits the stage on 4/8/16 and there are no more surprises, there will be little point to not announcing a full slate of dates at that point, if they had not yet done so.  At least in my opinion.

Then you lost it when you responded.

Because, right from the get go, I said "right now", addressing Trunks original article.

And you pointed out saying they "sold out Coachella" was a stretch.

Which I generally agreed with, and said it bolstered my point that press, right now, was pointless.

Maybe you should re-read and see where you went wrong?

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »

Nah.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »

I don't think you have to say "Axl, Slash, Duff, Chris, Dizzy, Frank, and Richard" in so many concrete terms.

BUT, that being said, I think you should say SOMETHING about whether Adler and Izzy are on board full time or not, prior to, or just after, the US tour goes on sale.

So you don't think they can use the same media strategy they've been using up until now?

I mean, announce the full US tour and then run promo videos similar to the Vegas and Mexico ones, showing Axl, Slash and Duff.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »

I think they have to do press, but I think for the full tour you can say something like relatively vague that gives assurances, and leaves open the possibility of "occasionally some special guests and old friends" might pop in.

I hardly expect some soul baring thing up at some dais.

Just a simple press release listing the dates, who is in the band, and maybe have Slash and/or Duff give a high profile interview to Rolling Stone.

I expect nothing from Axl.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »

And I'll point out:

You're kvetching about a lack of something that doesn't need to happen yet for something not announced yet.

Again, "Just a little patience...."

Together again,
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2016, 02:10:24 PM »

I expect nothing from Axl.

Axl was already scheduled to appear on Kimmel.

I think that sort of appearance is probably still in their plans, they just figured it was the wrong time and would save that for later, when it matters more.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:52 PM »

Axl was already scheduled to appear on Kimmel.

I think that sort of appearance is probably still in their plans, they just figured it was the wrong time and would save that for later, when it matters more.

Maybe he could go back on once they do the Vegas shows and he can talk about how much fun they were.  How it was good to be back.

Once he has the present to talk about, he doesn't have to swell as much on the past.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »

So you don't think they can use the same media strategy they've been using up until now?

I mean, announce the full US tour and then run promo videos similar to the Vegas and Mexico ones, showing Axl, Slash and Duff.

That's the maybe.

I think they might be able to do it...I'm not sure, in a wider market, it would be wise to do it.  You're not selling destination shows, at that point.  You're selling to smaller, individual markets. I think it serves you better to get the ticket buyer more information, so they're not blindsided by "No Izzy and Adler", or are left to make a decision (for whatever amount of time it is til the first shows) while guessing.  But that's just MHO.

We'll see.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2016, 02:15:27 PM »

Nah.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to revisit it, if I were you, either. Tongue

Guess that means it's time to buy another round...

Together again,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: