Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 04:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Eddie Trunk On GN'R Reunion 'It's A Big Question Mark How Far It Goes'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eddie Trunk On GN'R Reunion 'It's A Big Question Mark How Far It Goes'  (Read 16740 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: February 20, 2016, 06:24:28 PM »

Eddie Trunk Podcast - Todd Kerns

Feb. 18, 2016

Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators? bassist Todd Kerns joins Eddie Trunk on this episode to discuss his forthcoming record for his latest project, TKO. The bassist also discusses his thoughts on the Guns N' Roses reunion.

Todd says the Conspirators still plan to record their next album this year and talks about how and what he's heard about the news.  Eddie Trunk gives his take on the reunion, I've transcribed some of it below:

Eddie Trunk: It's a big question mark how far it goes, and nobody wants to say too much because they just don't know. And I think that what's most telling about all this and is almost stunning, is there is, fans can't be made blamed for speculating because there's zero information or interviews being done. Nobody is talking at all about anything on an official level. And I asked Slash's manager today will there be a press conference.  As much as I am friends of Slash and can text him whatever, I'm not going to put him in that position, I wouldn't do that. But at the same token the professional side of me, my audience wants to know, hear from these guys now that we know at least three of them are playing, how did it happen, what's the future, they want things answered and none of those answers are forth coming. And Slash's manager told me today there isn't going to be any interviews. That there isn't going to be press. There just like, they're just like in blackout mode right now. 

This whole thing is clearly being marketed and focused on Axl Slash and Duff. That's what it's all being sold on. But I think it's a really interesting thing, to figure out why you would think something of this magnitude -- because I said to Slash a while ago when he was denying it when I knew it was happening, I said to him, dude, deny it all you want but it happens I want to host the press conference. Cause I'm like, there's gotta be a press conference. There's gotta be a big bells and whistles launch. And there isn't.  There isn't going to be one, and I even know the people in Axl's camp and I mentioned it to them -- maybe it's because they don't know, they don't want to say anything. 

I still believe in the bigger picture it really comes down to the fact -- I don't think they know. I honestly don't think they know. I think they know that they want to hopefully do more shows, and they hope to do a tour, they're feeling that out. But I don't think they have the answers right now, which is probably why Axl pulled out of Kimmel, they don't have answers to give people. Take baby steps see what happens, if it goes well then there's more. If it doesn't we're going to shut it down and you'll be getting a call to go do Conspirator dates. I think it could go either way.

Audio here: http://www.earpeeler.com/2016/02/18/eddie-trunk-podcast-et-todd-kerns/

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:22:40 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Annie
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 06:41:55 PM »

And the award for the person who knows the least goes to:
Eddie Trunk. hihi
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 07:30:49 PM »

I said to him, dude, deny it all you want but it happens I want to host the press conference.

And there's the essence of all this talk....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 07:47:51 PM »

Funny how Eddie Trunk wants to be the one who holds the press conference when he is the same guy who thought Guns N' Roses weren't good enough to go into the Hall of Fame first ballot.  It wasn't a one off comment either, he has complained about GN'R getting into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot for the last 4 years every time some band he had on his lunchbox in the early 80's doesn't get in.  What a clown.  Also I could just imagine his press conference.  "So Axl, Slash and Duff, you guys are playing together for the first time since 1993, so what's your favorite Kiss song recorded since then?"

I am a fan of the no press thing.  Keep all the noise and nonsense out of this for now.  These days in the click bait world we live in any sentence that comes out of the bands mouth will be manipulated to create stories that don't even exist.   Bands mostly do press to sell something, GNR need no help selling these shows. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:06:48 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »

Yeah Gn'R had every right to get in on the first ballot. The impact of AFD was massive when it hit.

It was the "White Album" of the 80s, in the feel that it was very different to what was going on at the time.

In theory they have just 3 studio albums really, but whatever they did had a huge impact.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »

I understand why they're not doing any press and I know it's probably for the best, given all their drama in the media for the last hundred years and the effect a misplaced comma could possibly do to their brand new restored relationship.
But I REALLY want to know how this all happened. Does it make any sense? No.

I also think that they probably don't want to talk about what they've said/happened in the past, like "So, Axl, you said Slash was a cancer, how do you feel about that now?" Of course I'm exaggerating, but you get it, some really uncomfortable situations and questions, especially if they did interviews together.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:05:09 AM »

The absolute best thing they can do is say NADA! Sorry fellas but mystique does actually mean something.....don't say one word just show up in Vegas and kick ass. What do they have to promote right now? Tickets are sold.

I don't need to know why Axl and Slash went sideways. IT DOESN'T MATTER! They are back and are going to give it a go. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:07:51 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Annie
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »

I said to him, dude, deny it all you want but it happens I want to host the press conference.

And there's the essence of all this talk....

/jarmo

Ain't that the truth.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »

The absolute best thing they can do is say NADA! Sorry fellas but mystique does actually mean something.....don't say one word just show up in Vegas and kick ass. What do they have to promote right now? Tickets are sold.

I agree. It keeps people talking because they have to keep guessing.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 01:19:44 PM »

/jarmo

I agree with the timing, but I would think if they kick ass over these first 6 shows some kind of sit down with the right person for the right media outlet makes sense. Even if it is Del sitting down with the 'Big 3' and releasing a transcript on gunsnroses.com to the fan club, then releasing it as a press release would be better than nothing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:15:13 PM by C0ma » Logged
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »

/jarmo

I agree with the timing, but I would think if the kick ass over these first 6 shows some kind of sit down with the right person for the right media outlet makes sense. Even if it is Del sitting down with the 'Big 3' and releasing a transcript on gunsnroses.com to the fan club, then releasing it as a press release would be better than nothing.

There is definitely an aura around the silence that adds to the anticipation...but for guys n gals like us who have been breaking down everything they said about each other the past two decades it would be cool to get some insight.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
T-Bone
Opening Act

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

Fans on Eddie Trunk "It's A Big Question Mark Why Anyone Gives A Shit What You Think"
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 02:56:22 PM »

I'm all good them not doing media at this point.  But there's nothing I'd like to see more, besides them playing at MetLife, (oh and CD II material), than a big 3 long form interview. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »

/jarmo

I don't think they *need* to say anything either.  Not yet, anyway.  But I do see why the music world, media and fans are utterly curious about what led to this, and ultimately, what the future holds for GNR. 

However, it appears that Trunk is foaming at the mouth for the wrong reasons here.
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 07:34:40 PM »

/jarmo

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not so sure.

I mean other than the message boards, who is really guessing? I think this works in the 1990s but with 24-7 news coverage, the internet, the "give-me-more" attitude of society, etc. I wonder if it all gets lost.

I mean, they got a big burst right at the beginning - with the cochella announcement. Mainstream sites and news outlets picked up the tory. But since then there hasn't been a lot or anything really. At least not mainstream.

There comes a time when you have to/should do interviews, no matter how small. I think sometimes you have to do something to keep people guessing or there's really nothing to guess about. At this point even the message boards are speculated-out.

I personally don't care. I'll go see them. But, for example, I don't know if my co-worker, who still thinks it's "Axl and his hired guns", would go until I told her that it's going to be the original core.

Even the Stones did a lot of media interviews on last summer's tour and even during the build up (Hey, this could happen with GNR as well, it's still early).

Anyway, just my two cents. We're still a ways out from the first show. I suspect there will be another announcement. And, obviously, they'll be reviews of the shows. If they're great shows, then perhaps the band can let that speak for themselves. We'll see.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 08:42:54 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not so sure.

I mean other than the message boards, who is really guessing?

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=67045.0
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=66775.0

Obviously there's more than those examples...

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »

I'm not sure what they need to promote, with the exception of the 2nd Mexico show, all their shows are sold out.  They seem to have plenty of media coverage keeping their name in the news.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Princess Leia
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »

For me it's not a matter of promotion. Clearly this reunion didn't happen because some fairy godmother made it happening. So at some point I'd like to have a few details about it.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 09:13:06 AM »

This promotional "strategy" is weird.

Now some people get all hot and bothered and start with the impassioned defenses.  I'm not saying its bad, just that its odd.

But, just to throw some red meat to the folks that live for the perceived slight, do you think there is any correlation between not doing any promotion whatsoever and the fact this is far more business than something they are gung ho about?  Like...is this more just a job than fun?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »

I disagree with Trunks conclusion:

They won't talk to me (and some sour grapes about not being asked to host the presser) doesn't, to me, instantly mean "Details aren't final and they don't know what's going on".

We KNOW they have dates set up around the US on reserve.  Witness Chicago, etc. 

We KNOW they plan to tour the US.

We KNOW Slash, Duff, and Axl are going to share the stage.

What we don't know is "the story"...and we don't really NEED to, at this stage. We just want to.

I think they know exactly what's going on, for the most part. I think the major details are decided on and set.  I think there are probably some final i's to dot and t's to cross with the venue, the logistics, etc before they can officially announce what those plans are.

I think their silence isn't an indication that it's business, more than fun, or creative drive (FYI, I think it's d) all of the above, in generally equal parts).  I think its a) an overabundance of caution and b) an overwhelming desire to control the message as much as possible.

That means it goes out on their terms, at the time of their choosing.  If they prefer to maintain the mystique until they are, literally, on stage the first time together (or just before...say with a presser on the eve of, or the day of, the first Vegas show?)...I'm totally OK with that.

I honestly don't feel the need to "read into" anything in this case.  Right up through the reunion and Coachella announcement, people (including some now sort of critiquing) were praising the run up, the PR, and the management of the whole thing.

Now....a bit of silence from the principal members instantly means "something" because idle minds feel the need to speculate.  And Trunk needs to drive traffic to his blog, social media, and web page (esp now that his show is cancelled).

IMHO, it's bunk.  Trunk is jumping to the conclusion that "they don't want to talk to me" means "they can't talk to me because they don't know how far it's going to go".  I think that's a much bigger leap than you can safely make, given what we know.

So..there you go.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:32:51 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: