Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 04:38:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?  (Read 50388 times)
Manek
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »

For those mentioning AC/DC's drummer, you're making me see this from a casual fans perspective.  I've seen AC/DC many times live, grew up learning guitar to Angus Young riffs, I wouldn't know their drummer in a million years and don't care about him (again, I'm a casual fan that likes some of their tunes)
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2016, 02:52:12 AM »

Well, I do hope he's not involved permanently. Playing a song here or there occasionally would be nice, but I just don't think he'd manage a permanent spot. Too much of a risk there. Going with Frank, for example, seems like a smart way to go.

But I do agree that his drumming on AFD is amazing and unique.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2016, 02:59:59 AM »

but that was 30 years ago, before he fucked himself up.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2016, 03:02:56 AM »

but that was 30 years ago, before he fucked himself up.

Yep. That's my point.

And now someone will come up with a YouTube link to a recent Steven show...

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2016, 10:24:22 AM »

It isn't about posting a link to one of his shows to prove anything man.

It is about the fact that he can still play. He's a good drummer. No one has ever said he's this all time great drummer or this amazing drummer etc..

For AFD he was perfect, and played the songs great and in my opinion made some of them what they are today still. He should be involved in some way. He isn't fucked up. He can play UYI stuff too. He can play anything.

Steven Adler like it or not was a big part of Gn'R. He will always remain in the legacy. Leaving him out would be totally fucked up. Who knows... he might actually be able to be the full time guy. I doubt this will happen, but I think he would keep his nose super clean if this was the case.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »

My comment wasn't aimed at those with actual concerns or those having a civil discussion. It was more about those who always find a way to put down any past or present band members for whatever reason. Especially at this moment in time.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:40 AM »

Yeah its a hyped time. Everyone wants to chime in and review history and predict things. It's fun!

People are fairly negative though. I try to talk about things as I see it. As the way it actually is. Sometimes that is tough to do.

I just think people NOT wanting Steven involved in some way is cheating Guns N' Roses history and it is cheating Steven.

But don't damn me
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »

I just think people NOT wanting Steven involved in some way is cheating Guns N' Roses history and it is cheating Steven.

In a way, yes. In another way, no.
There has been zero promise from the band that the upcoming shows are indeed a reunion of one specific line up.

Imagine if Duff and Slash hadn't quit, but the band had replaced Matt and Gilby...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »

Yeah true.

I'm totally happy with the probably and great lineup of

Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank, Dizzy, Chris.

That would be great. Just sprinkle in the other guys as it works out. They do at some point gotta have the AFD 5 up there just for 1 song at least right? Or one full show? That would be awesome.

But don't damn me
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »

It?s good to see Adler has at least some support.

I know the internet is a very strange place, but even with that in mind, I found it bizarre that the majority of GN?R fans on a GN?R fan site didn?t want the most important drummer in GN?R?s history to have any role in a GN?R reunion.

Not only should he not be involved, but let?s minimize his importance in the first place while we are at it, and pretend we know him personally, and decide he is a truly despicable person, who would only seek to sabotage the tour if given the chance. He was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time, anyway.
Even though that theory has been debunked many times over by Slash, Izzy and Duff, I?ll choose to believe my fellow anonymous people of the internet.

Granted there are some valid, rational concerns lumped in, but found the overall tone surprising.

These guys all made some very poor choices at one point in their lives, like most people do.
They all had their issues with drugs and alcohol.
Some were able to kick it earlier than others, but that doesn?t make them a better or worse person, and it?s each own?s personal business/battle.

Whether Adler is clean or not isn?t any of my business or concern.
If the others deem him fit to play, and they all want to get back on stage together after all these years, I think it would be amazing to see.
I don?t understand the mentality of rooting for others to fail. Especially a person who was instrumental in helping create the music in a band you?re a fan of.

Seeing the shit eating grin he would surely be wearing would just be another highlight in what could, should be a very exciting time to be a GN?R fan.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »

And I think the feelings on the matter come down to that very thing.

I look at this as sentimentality versus business.  The people that want Steven seem to put more stock in it being "the right thing to do".

The people against, seem to be putting more stock in wanting this to be as successful as it can be, and not looking to add any variable that might impede that.

And if that means "not being fair to Steven", well...too bad.  The tour's success is first and foremost here.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »

Whether Adler is clean or not isn?t any of my business or concern.
If the others deem him fit to play, and they all want to get back on stage together after all these years, I think it would be amazing to see.
I don?t understand the mentality of rooting for others to fail. Especially a person who was instrumental in helping create the music in a band you?re a fan of.

True.

But, be a bit remiss to omit that you are talking to the same fanbase that had a pretty sizable segment that had next to no compunction about shitting all over the lead guitarist that created the music they became fans of.  All out of some misguided attempt at "supporting Axl" and making his enemies and causes their enemies and causes.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »

As someone who was around when Adler was kicked out of the band, no one at the time gave two shits about it when MTV broke the news. Seriously, he was a laughing stock. The man who got kicked out of GNR because of a drug probably.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be involved in any shows, but people here are seriously overstating his importance to the fan base.

To include him in the discussions now is to say that this is a true reunion and it's not. It's a reunion of the original core. That put out AFD and the Illusions.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2016, 11:48:09 AM »

As someone who was around when Adler was kicked out of the band, no one at the time gave two shits about it when MTV broke the news.

I'll second that.

The memory cheats, folks.  Always.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2016, 11:56:37 AM »

Steven was fucked a few different times.

He couldn't use the band name Road Crew after he was kicked out for being on drugs too much. The others were simply able to do drugs and play. he couldn't or he obviously was doing way way way too much which might be the case. Probably was.

Axl made a big deal over publishing rights. They were a team, so the songs were together right? 20% down the middle. Nope. Steven gave 5% to Axl.

He later gets this taken from him in some sleezy ass lawyer deal, and sues. He used to be a huge fuck up.

In the past 2-4 years or so, he's been pretty good about staying clean it seems. It seems. People are like yeah... he played drums... and he fucked it up with Gn'R. If he joins this reunion he'll fuck it up too.

Maybe not. He wants this more than anyone. He is clearly the black sheep of the Gn'R legacy. Matt Sorum drumming on AFD? Kill me.

But don't damn me
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2016, 12:05:07 PM »

As someone who was around when Adler was kicked out of the band, no one at the time gave two shits about it when MTV broke the news. Seriously, he was a laughing stock. The man who got kicked out of GNR because of a drug probably.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be involved in any shows, but people here are seriously overstating his importance to the fan base.

To include him in the discussions now is to say that this is a true reunion and it's not. It's a reunion of the original core. That put out AFD and the Illusions.

No disrespect intended to you, but again, if I?m deferring to anyone?s memory, it?ll probably be to the people that truly were there, like Slash, Duff and Izzy.
Especially with the benefit of hindsight, it?s not terribly difficult to trace back to when GN?R began to decay.

Where you, I or anyone else ranks Steven?s importance to the band is irrelevant.
It could have been anyone, but it was Steven who left first.
He had a hand in GN?R?s most successful albums. Was his dismissal the sole reason the band couldn?t function on a creative level anymore?
Obviously not. Was his absence a factor? If we are to believe the words of his colleagues, then yes, it certainly was.

Did it stop people from going to see them live? No, why would it? No one is saying it was reason to protest, but it was absolutely a significant blow to the band, whether fans realized it at the time(or today) or not.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »

Civil War is my favorite Gn'R track. His drumming is great on that. No matter how many splices it took.

The Farm Aid thing was lame. That's on the band for that. He played great there I think too.

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »

His dismissal was more over fucking in the studio over and over again, right?  Not the Farm Aid thing.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2016, 12:44:50 PM »

Farm Aid supposedly was the final straw thing. As he was out a few weeks later.

Him tripping on the drum riser was probably just a badly timed accident. He barely knew Civil War and didn't know Down on the Farm at all.

He played pretty fucking good if you ask me. If you ask anyone actually lol.

He was clearly super fucked up for the UYI early sessions. That is on him. He probably was way way over the line fucked up. Kicking him out I'm fine with he probably was stalling them, and people got tired of it.

He did bring the least to the band from a songwriting perspective, but his drumming style is the big thing. Listen to Civil War, then listen to that same song by Matt live. I can hear a difference in style and quality. Matt is a fucking awesome drummer but Steven's free based loose swing style fits Gn'R more.

It's whatever though at this point. He's not played with the band the longest of all of them. He has played a couple shows with Duff and a couple with Slash I think. Did the HoF show... and maybe Izzy? I don't remember.

he wants this more than any of them man. Not including him would be harsh and super fucked up.

I'm talking about NOT letting him perform 1 full show and/or letting him encore a few. Or just let him do encores for them all.

Do "Nightrain", Civil War and then do "Paradise". Or you could do any song, as he could play any  of them.

But don't damn me
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »

And I think the feelings on the matter come down to that very thing.

I look at this as sentimentality versus business.  The people that want Steven seem to put more stock in it being "the right thing to do".

The people against, seem to be putting more stock in wanting this to be as successful as it can be, and not looking to add any variable that might impede that.

And if that means "not being fair to Steven", well...too bad.  The tour's success is first and foremost here.

I agree with this 100%

It makes no business sense whatsoever, at any level to include Adler simply based on his track record and interview history.

If he is somehow given a special guest spot, this would be benevolent of the band- but I think it will come back to bite them in some way.

I didn't honestly care when I heard on MTV he was fired, and I don't entertain any silly sentimentality that overshadows logical thinking , so I honestly don't care one way or the other whether he appears with GNRs-

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: