Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 10:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?  (Read 50281 times)
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-roses-steven-adler-slash-and-duff-mckagan-dont-believe-i-am-21-months-sober/

He went on to say: "They don't think I'm cool and they don't think I can play drums that great and they don't think I'm sober. Duff, he has a right, in a way, but, like I said, he forgets where he came from too. But we did do some shows [together] in Japan [in 2013], and Duff invited [Steven's current band] ADLER to come down, and I was still drinking then. And the second I got to the airport, I made a beeline for the bar, and I just started doing shots of J?ger. And the whole trip I was sick and I was just a mess. And, you know, Duff's sober and he's very judgmental and forgetful of where he came from. And he was just so bummed and pissed at me. I mean, the playing part, the shows when we actually were performing, that went all right, but everything else? So I kind of ruined it and gave him the excuse to be able to say, 'Well, he's not cool and he's not that good.' But I stopped doing that. They stopped doing that. Just because they stopped doing it before I did doesn't make them any better. We're all people who have addiction problems. I was just able to get a grip on it later on in life than they did."
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-roses-steven-adler-slash-and-duff-mckagan-dont-believe-i-am-21-months-sober/#W721slpdq9qrW4Bg.99

If Steven doesn't end up being involved, he pretty much said why a few months ago. Duff let him play some shows with his cheese dick Adler band and he couldn't get out of the airport without getting sloshed. He's completely dysfunctional and his excuses get old, especially coming from a guy who is in his 50's now.

Yeah, Duff talks about this in his book, How To Be a Man. I had completely forgotten.
Actually it's a pretty interesting reading for those who want to try to understand how this reunion suddenly started to happen. I know I'm looking for clues.
In his latest podcast Eddie Trunk says he talked to Slash's management and they won't be doing any press at all.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »

I think the people who are demanding that Steven be involved are just expecting the band to go out and sound exactly like they did on AFD. Pure nostalgia only. Personally, I will be at the show on the 8th, and I want it to be the best concert possible MUSICALLY. As much as I love the AFD lineup, I think the current lineup, with Frank and Richard (and Dizzy and, yes, even Pittman--Axl has him still involved for a reason) can provide the best concert possible (of course I would love to see Izzy play a few songs). It would be cool for Steven if they let him play, but really, it would purely be a nostalgia move (and would keep him from sinking into a certain depression). But as far as musically, I wouldn't miss him out there. Sorry Steven

Exactly.  For some they are looking at this as a reunion where the band should just scrap everything and go back to 1990.  For me personally I see this as Slash and Duff rejoining the current band that exists in 2016.  That is much more exciting to me.  The 90's were great, its why I became a fan.  But, I am excited to see what this band is going to do in 2016.  If other players from the classic era play with the band that would be cool. My excitement about the band does not hinge on whether or not that happens though.  I first discovered GNR right after Izzy quit, so Axl, Slash and Duff were the only members of the classic line up I ever knew when I was a fan.  I am sure if I discovered the band a few years earlier I would have stronger feelings about whether or not Steven was involved. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:47:29 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »

You look at it like they are joining the current lineup?

There is no "current lineup"

the replacements of the replacements are gone...

the old guys are back

This is the core of what was... most of it. I look at it like Axl, Slash and Duff are together and they've added a couple guys. It doesn't matter I guess... but Axl Slash and Duff are what anyone knows when it comes to big time GnR

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2016, 11:14:28 AM »

Well, there is.

Bumble, DJ and Tommy left.

Axl, Richard, Chris, Frank and Dizzy was the new basis. Duff and Slash filled out that line-up.

Do you think Richard, Chris, Frank and Dizzy will be part of the new line-up just by chance? No, they're there because they didn't leave.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2016, 11:35:01 AM »

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-roses-steven-adler-slash-and-duff-mckagan-dont-believe-i-am-21-months-sober/

He went on to say: "They don't think I'm cool and they don't think I can play drums that great and they don't think I'm sober. Duff, he has a right, in a way, but, like I said, he forgets where he came from too. But we did do some shows [together] in Japan [in 2013], and Duff invited [Steven's current band] ADLER to come down, and I was still drinking then. And the second I got to the airport, I made a beeline for the bar, and I just started doing shots of J?ger. And the whole trip I was sick and I was just a mess. And, you know, Duff's sober and he's very judgmental and forgetful of where he came from. And he was just so bummed and pissed at me. I mean, the playing part, the shows when we actually were performing, that went all right, but everything else? So I kind of ruined it and gave him the excuse to be able to say, 'Well, he's not cool and he's not that good.' But I stopped doing that. They stopped doing that. Just because they stopped doing it before I did doesn't make them any better. We're all people who have addiction problems. I was just able to get a grip on it later on in life than they did."
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-roses-steven-adler-slash-and-duff-mckagan-dont-believe-i-am-21-months-sober/#W721slpdq9qrW4Bg.99

If Steven doesn't end up being involved, he pretty much said why a few months ago. Duff let him play some shows with his cheese dick Adler band and he couldn't get out of the airport without getting sloshed. He's completely dysfunctional and his excuses get old, especially coming from a guy who is in his 50's now.
this. + add his constant blabbering about how he deserves to be GNR's drummer. this gets annoying after 25 years. Frank is the right man.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »

this. + add his constant blabbering about how he deserves to be GNR's drummer. this gets annoying after 25 years. Frank is the right man.

Why is Frank the right guy tho? Because he's the best drummer of the bunch? Because Axl likes him? Because he will always keep to the company line?

I have nothing against the guy... but ..

#TeamSorum

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »

because 1) his drumming is excellent, 2) he's a cool guy (unlike Sorum), and 3) he's not a wasted idiot who would fuck it up (unlike Adler)

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »

because 1) his drumming is excellent, 2) he's a cool guy (unlike Sorum), and 3) he's not a wasted idiot who would fuck it up (unlike Adler)

I never met Matt.. I don't really know if he's cool or not. I just know he was a big part of the golden era and can play with Slash and Duff with his eyes closed.

Other than Frank's contribution to the handful of CD songs... his added on parts... he just hasn't given much to the GNR discography... thus... he'd be far behind some others in the race for the seat... if we were judging based on merit.

I very much realize Matt was never really a consideration.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »

I think that he should be involved for at least a few songs. Frank should play the bulk of the setlist.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
axlvai
Rocker

« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »

Why is Frank the right guy tho? Because he's the best drummer of the bunch? Because Axl likes him? Because he will always keep to the company line?

#TeamSorum

I never met Matt.. I don't really know if he's cool or not. I just know he was a big part of the golden era and can play with Slash and Duff with his eyes closed.

Other than Frank's contribution to the handful of CD songs... his added on parts... he just hasn't given much to the GNR discography... thus... he'd be far behind some others in the race for the seat... if we were judging based on merit.

Well, there is.

Axl, Richard, Chris, Frank and Dizzy was the new basis. Duff and Slash filled out that line-up.

Do you think Richard, Chris, Frank and Dizzy will be part of the new line-up just by chance? No, they're there because they didn't leave.

I think there is a thing with Axl/Sorum. Idk what it is.... but Sorum is great for GNR.

And... why Frank/Fortus... etc didnt leave GnR??? If they know the same info that DJ/Ron..... Stinson knews?. Because is a good job to let it go?.... or are just waiting and colaborating with the process until gets the fired?

Idk what to think. But i really wants Sorum, to get that powerfull sound back.

axlvai
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »

Nostalgia is certainly the driving force behind the renewed interest in Guns N? Roses.

Some here may be intrigued by what Slash and Frank could potentially come up with in the studio together, but most people couldn?t care less because they don?t know, or care who Frank is.

At one point, we know for a fact that Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven had great chemistry.
Do they still have it? Who knows, but there is certainly no evidence to suggest there would be anything between Slash and Fortus for instance.

There is a reason Fortus, Frank and Pitman aren?t featured in the ads promoting the upcoming gigs.
If Adler and Izzy were reliable, and they all wanted to do this thing together, promoters would love to be plastering images of the fully reunited lineup everywhere they could(some are anyway). Promoting Fortus, Frank and Pitman does nothing to bolster fan interest. Really, the only thing it probably could do is hurt.

Can Frank play Adler?s parts admirably? Sure. So can any professional drummer in the business.
So can my next door neighbor. And my cousin. And probably your cousin.
That?s hardly the point.

People aren?t paying top dollar to see who can perform Guns N? Roses songs really well.
Skilled musicians are a dime a dozen.
I think it?s safe to say that given the option, most would just prefer to see the Guns N? Roses they became fans of in the first place, perform, and hopefully really well.
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »

I re-watched the Hall of Fame set and Steven is great on Paradise City but really blows it on SCOM.
On SCOM he falls behind, tempo is all over the place and you even see Duff go over to the kit and try to guide him back in.

Outside of guesting on a few songs I don't think Steven is consistent enough to play in GNR.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »

I re-watched the Hall of Fame set and Steven is great on Paradise City but really blows it on SCOM.
On SCOM he falls behind, tempo is all over the place and you even see Duff go over to the kit and try to guide him back in.

Outside of guesting on a few songs I don't think Steven is consistent enough to play in GNR.

I don't think so either, and as I've said- it would be very gracious of GNR to allow him to be a special guest on a few songs, all things considered.

The fanboy brigade of sentimental Adler supporters who are blowing his horn nonstop these days while ignoring his history of relapsing, running his mouth and being a walking liability in every sense of the word  are really annoying lately.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Annie
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2016, 11:45:25 AM »

I don't think so either, and as I've said- it would be very gracious of GNR to allow him to be a special guest on a few songs, all things considered.

The fanboy brigade of sentimental Adler supporters who are blowing his horn nonstop these days while ignoring his history of relapsing, running his mouth and being a walking liability in every sense of the word  are really annoying lately.
I totally agree.
TokyoRose
Headliner

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »

Sometimes its more about feel and vibe then perfect timing. 

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2016, 11:46:54 AM »

Personally, I don't care that much about who's in the drummer's seat other than it should be someone who's in or has been in the band.

About Steven in 2012, he was still in his 3 month on/off drug habit then.

This time around, hopefully he stays clean. By the things I've seen, I think he's more consistent now.

Coming back in GN'R full-time? I don't think that will happen though.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:02 PM »

You guys do realize that Steven is actually seriously working on his sobriety finally right? These comments from Steven are old. He is not the same guy he was 2yrs ago.

He will be involved in some capacity. Whether it a similar role to Izzy in that he shows up for select dates gets onstage for 2-3 songs or if he is part of the tour and plays all the appetite stuff. I don't think he latter will happen though.

Just be happy this is happening and stop complaining when we have no idea yet how it will go down.

My guess if you will see select appereances by:
Izzy
Steven
Matt
Gilby
Tommy when he's in town
Maybe even Robin

Be happy!
Now if only we could get an appearance from Buckethead! ok
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:32:42 PM by Top-Hatted One » Logged
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2016, 02:20:01 PM »

Personally, I don't care that much about who's in the drummer's seat other than it should be someone who's in or has been in the band.

About Steven in 2012, he was still in his 3 month on/off drug habit then.

This time around, hopefully he stays clean. By the things I've seen, I think he's more consistent now.

Coming back in GN'R full-time? I don't think that will happen though.

Exactly! The things his character is being assassinated for are 2-3yrs old. He does seem to be a lot more consistent with his sobriety now. Even if it only has been a little over a year. That's dog years for an addict and a huge step in the right direction. Him reconciling with Slash and the rest of them and accepting blame for his own actions has been a major positive influence on his sobriety. He no longer carries the weight and burden that always led to his depression and addiction. He will be involved in some way or another. The most important thing is that he is alive and sober
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2016, 02:30:38 PM »

Well, there is.

No man.

The lineage was broken up too many times. Bumble was part of a added 2nd guitarist that replaced buckethead, DJ replaced finck, who replaced slash lol

When the replacements of the replacements leave... I don't consider that "a band" just hired guys.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »

#TeamSorum

Well, there is.

I think there is a thing with Axl/Sorum. Idk what it is.... but Sorum is great for GNR.

And... why Frank/Fortus... etc didnt leave GnR??? If they know the same info that DJ/Ron..... Stinson knews?. Because is a good job to let it go?.... or are just waiting and colaborating with the process until gets the fired?

Idk what to think. But i really wants Sorum, to get that powerfull sound back.

Don't automatically assume Sorum's beef is with Axl. Could very well be with Slash from how VR ended and their disagreements on who would replace Scott. Sorum & duff were were ready to hire Corey Taylor which would've bombed but Slash fortunately squashed it and move on to better things as a solo artist.

Maybe the guys don't want Sorum involved full time because he would be an extra expense and not worth it. He's not an original member. It's not like people will lose interest because he is not involved. Frank being there allows them to mix in some CD songs and Frank is not going to demand a ransom.

The only time Sorum will be missed is when they play YCBM. Have yet to heard a drummer play it correctly. So I hope if Matt makes an appereance he will definitely sit in on YCBM
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: