Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:18:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What do you want a next album to sound like?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you want a next album to sound like?  (Read 13392 times)
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »

1. modern and sharp as f**k. ChiDem (the title track) was close to that.
2. epic stuff. like Estranged, Coma, TWAT.
3. totally classic RNR riffing with a drive like a locomotive. like Nightrain. and Locomotive.  hihi
make a damn mix of all these and you're there!

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 02:44:05 PM »

Hope it won't sound like CD, in terms of mixing etc. Don't need great songs recorded like they are all fuckin demos. beer

What?

I can only speculate. But I think some people have the impression that they (Axl, the band) didn't know when to finish the song, when to stop adding stuff to it? so in a sense its like the songs sound like they are not finished, thus they sound like demos.

I think that's what he means by that.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »

Further thinking... maybe imagine Slash's Snakepit's "It's 5 o clock somewhere" album with Axl on vocals right...

then add in some CD tone to it. and that would be great

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »

Further thinking... maybe imagine Slash's Snakepit's "It's 5 o clock somewhere" album with Axl on vocals right...

then add in some CD tone to it. and that would be great
nah, I like 5OCS, but it was far from GNR. it was closer to for example Gilby Clarke's solo albums, only a few GNR-ish moments like Back and Forth Again. and Axl already said in the past, that he didn't want to do songs like Be The Ball, which I completely agree with!

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 06:19:26 PM »

Illusions v.3  smoking  songs with the structure of breakdown, Estranged and coma.

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »

Axl's piano driven melodies combined with Slash's lead guitar is a sound that no other band could ever touch - go there..please
eyemojo
Opening Act

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 01:40:01 AM »

It'd be interesting to hear a mix of material updated from post UYI, Chi Dem, and new stuff! I could even see a side A that is more RnR and a side B that is more experimental/ theatrical.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 01:48:52 AM »

Axl singing stuff.

I'm always going to be in the market for Axl singing stuff.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 03:02:23 AM »

Like Guns N' Roses. Duh!

They don't need to try like somebody else.  Tongue

/jarmo

My thoughts exactly!  ok

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 04:21:45 AM »

Like Guns N' Roses. Duh!

They don't need to try like somebody else.  Tongue

/jarmo

My thoughts exactly!  ok

I don't think hoping for a certain style or even an evolution in a particular direction equates to trying to be someone else.

So What does Guns N Roses sound like?? I thought they were a band that couldn't be pigeon holed?

Of the various styles that they have done so far (AFD style rock, Piano ballads, Lies style semi acoustic, electronica Silkworms style, etc etc or perhaps a more modern best of Slash rock album with Axl singing aggressively. Or a completely different direction.)

If an album was to turn up tomorrow which style would you likely enjoy more? your answer of 'Like Guns N Roses' seems to be a non answer.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 06:34:55 AM »

I would love to hear new kickass music with whatever they want to write. Be it power ballads or straight foward hardrock.

I can also talk about mixing: Id love to hear the mixing more simple. It's ok to have layers, but let the song breath more. Let Duff's bass show up like the old days. Put the guitars in stereo, with Slash always on the right speaker. You know, simple stuff like that can make even epic songs like Coma and Estranged to have a common identity aside from Axl's singing.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 06:41:03 AM »

I don't think hoping for a certain style or even an evolution in a particular direction equates to trying to be someone else.

Not necessarily. But I saw comments about who people wished they would sound like album X or band Y.

Some say Appetite sounds like Aerosmith mixed with punk, some say Oh My God sounds like Nine Inch Nails.
To me it all sounds like GN'R: Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 06:42:46 AM »

Something that hasn't been done already!

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 06:54:35 AM »

Not necessarily. But I saw comments about who people wished they would sound like album X or band Y.

Some say Appetite sounds like Aerosmith mixed with punk, some say Oh My God sounds like Nine Inch Nails.
To me it all sounds like GN'R: Smiley

/jarmo

Fair enough comment but I guess people use that as a point of reference. I mean if the colour green just became visible for the first time it may be described as a bit like mixing blue and yellow. Doesn't mean that doesn't have it's own unique properties. All points of view I guess.

As for my preference I need to think about that for a bit to consider what would be a cohesive sound.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:00:37 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »

Something that Slash and Duff will bring to the table, if they ever do record something, is something that Chinese Democracy lacks: fast-paced songs.

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »

I'm hoping for something raw and groovy. Think a mix of The Garden and Bad Apples.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »

I'm looking forward to hearing a song where there's a signature Duff bass part, like the openings for SCOM, Coma, RNDTH, the Rocket Queen groove, etc. 
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 02:07:19 PM »

I'm looking forward to hearing a song where there's a signature Duff bass part, like the openings for SCOM, Coma, RNDTH, the Rocket Queen groove, etc. 
Fun fact: RNDTH's bass intro is actually by Slash.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »

Fun fact: RNDTH's bass intro is actually by Slash.

Cool, didn't know that.   ok
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »

Its not unusual for bands to become confused, paranoid and schizophrenic  when it comes to their sound. The sound of the next album.

What they should not do is listen to the fans.

Built To Spill, a small band released You in Reverse, an album that had a bit of a contrast or departure from their previous releases, it had longer songs, it had  great electric guitar work that prevailed throughout the whole album, a bit of a jam and rocking feel to it.

Its one of my favorite albums of all time. However most fans didnt like the album, they wanted  the "old sound". What the band did on the followup to You In Reverse was try to please the fans, and released an album that in my opinion was terrible, but most fans where happy because it sounded more like what Built to spill should sound like to them.

This reminds me of the new Star Wars, the studio gave fans what they wanted, a beautifully wrapped ''star wars movie'' that looks great on the outside, but once you peel the surface, there is nothing of substance in there.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: