Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 09:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why so silent GNR?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why so silent GNR?  (Read 17287 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »

BECAUSE THEY ARE CURRENTLY MAKING THE NEXT GREATEST ALBUM IN ROCK HISTORY!! DUH!!!

Grin

If GNR didn't have an album with finished vocals, I'd call b.s. on that notion. But they do, so I can't.  Stranger things have happened.  hihi

Amen ....Think about that scenario for a second...they speak nothing...let the media build all of this up (As they clearly have)..meanwhile they've been in the studio since the fall / late summer...and drop a single a month before the 1st  Vegas show.....BOOM

(A guy can hope)
 beer
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »

Dr. Dre did that exact thing in August, right before 'Straight Outta Compton' came out.  No one had a clue.

It was awesome too.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:11 PM »

BECAUSE THEY ARE CURRENTLY MAKING THE NEXT GREATEST ALBUM IN ROCK HISTORY!! DUH!!!

Grin

that would be the best case scenario. i do remember jarmo saying to appreciate what we have instead of getting our hopes up over new music though, or something to that effect. that was probably some good advice. not saying it couldnt happen, but im kind of done getting my hopes up about it, i think. the idea that we will get some shows is pretty rad in itself though. pretty exciting compared to last year.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »

I think they are going large...new music, the whole nine yards.  Shocked

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »

After Coachella Talk Duff & Slash

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »

Rolling Stone would be their best bet at national exposure, I would think.  I walk by lotsa news stands on the way to work, and that magazine is still everywhere.

And have always treated Axl very, very well.

Face it, that matters.
When was the last time they interviewed him for an article? 1999?

I think Axl prefers to do TV interviews nowadays. Maybe because there's no way they can misuse his words on TV unless with deliberate (and uncommon) edit.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:53 PM »

After Coachella Talk Duff & Slash

Agree with you I do, Master Yoda.

J/k  peace
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »

Perhaps they just don't view the whole 'reunion' as very important? Maybe it's a cash grab to them- they'll play if interested, if not, move on?

I have yet to see 1 single piece of information, ever, that says any of these guys are motivated by money as it pertains to their music businesses.  All of them have turned down opportunities, partnerships, etc. So why would that be the case now?  If it was a "cash grab" it would be the opposite.  They'd be plastered on everything trying to milk what they could out of it.  Seems quite the opposite.  If you want to see "cash grab" go check out how kiss promotes tours. 

How about the ticket price for the Vegas shows?

That is what shows in vegas cost, everything entertainment wise in vegas is expensive. Look at the cost of the major anchor shows at the different properties. They raise the prices so that the comps look better and more 'exclusive'. The recent big name boxing matches in Vegas wouldn't even sell you tickets via primary market unless you had a tens of thousands of dollar line of credit on the gambling floor at the MGM Grand.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 07:47:21 PM »

A whole lotta speculation following:

I don't think Axl is excited about it at all, to be honest. I think a few factors came into play toward making this thing happen, and tell me if you agree with my assessment:

I believe the label rejected CD II and he was told something along the lines of in essence that no record would be accepted unless Slash and Duff were on it. Hence Richard's talk of some new songs having "seeds from Slash" before this regrouping happened.

I think the Azoff lawsuit settlement forced the touring we saw in 2011-2014 and by the end of it Axl was exhausted. Combine this with Duff coming back into the picture - they probably had many talks about past stuff which might have cleared a lot of misunderstandings, which led to Axl's feelings softening on Slash very slightly - perhaps from utter hatred to a level of tolerance.

Then, Bumblefoot gave notice in South America. Fine - Axl probably spent the better part of the year trying to get him back. It's been reported by many insiders that DJ Ashba's departure was totally unexpected by Axl. With Tommy not being able to tour due to personal commitments, and prioritizing the Replacements over GN'R, and then Ashba's sudden departure, I think Axl sort of broke. Caved. "Fuck it", he thought, "I might as well call Slash and Duff at this point." Not due to a lack of options or available replacements, but probably due to exhaustion.

How many times was he going to rebuild Guns with a brand new cast of players and go through that exhausting whole process all over again? Bumblefoot's departure was probably foreseen, but Ashba and Tommy bowing out left him with only a partial rhythm section and keyboardists. I don't think Axl, at his age, at this juncture, wanted to rebuild the core of the band all over again; he's not the 36 year old he was in 1998 who had the youth and energy for that, and at this point, his anger towards Slash had dissipated enough to make the idea of being on stage with him tolerable. And on top of that, that sense of exhaustion came a sense of peacefulness; he's getting older and might have genuinely wanted to mend fences with certain people before it was too late.

But, I think Axl probably feels forced into this. Not by managers or Slash or anything else, but by circumstance. I don't think regrouping with Slash and Duff is what he really wants; I think if he had had his way, BBF and Ashba would still be in the band (or more especially, Bucket and Finck) and he'd have released CD II.

I don't think he's excited at all by this, or even invigorated by the money. I think the Axl we're going to see is a guy whose attitude is probably "Fuck it, why not?" more than anything else. Axl said the last 5 years or so were the worst of his life...I think all the fire that was in him is extinguished. Hence the lack of press, hence the lack of any real YEAH WE'RE BACK excitement or media frenzy.

I think on Slash's end, this is a side job; an opportunity to make a ton of dough - but he's not rejoined the band in any real or emotional sense. I don't think he considers himself "the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses" again - I think for him this is a job, a way to rejuvenate his bank account after the divorce, and really a fragile side project that could go belly up at any minute. I don't think he's into it mentally, it probably is to him what GN'R was to all the nu gunners - just a job. Duff is probably doing this because he's a nice guy, to help out Axl, and he's probably a bit excited about the idea of his two friends actually getting along. I think the idea of what the reunion could turn into excited him.

But, compare this regrouping to other major regroupings - Mick & Keith in 1989, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry in 1985 - both were huge media events. Even though Mick & Keith got back together purely for the money, they were excited by the prospect of conquering the stadium market. There was a media blitz for it. GN'R's regrouping is just being treated - by the band - as another day at the office; another turnover of members who just happen to be old members rejoining. There's no jubiliation or even emotional catharsis.

This could all change once Axl and Slash are on the same stage in front of a full house for the first time since 1993 - that is going to be, I think, both a very weird, surreal and very emotional moment for the both of them and could cement this regrouping as being a real thing, really bring back a genuine bond, just that euphoria of conquering a filled Arena again together, basking in the cheers of the crowds - or, it could go belly up that very night depending on how it all feels to Axl. But, I don't think anyone in the band is particularly excited for this. It's kind of the way Pink Floyd's reunion was, internally; "This is a short term thing, collect our checks, then go our separate ways; blah"
richbc
Opening Act

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »

That is what shows in vegas cost, everything entertainment wise in vegas is expensive.

If your premise is correct, how does that explain why my VIPs at The Joint were almost free by comparison?
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »

Or..a little simpler

2 old friends finally got in the same room and just hashed it out like brothers need to do sometimes

Don't need all of the details, don't need a documentary on how this happened

Just bring it now - we've been waiting for this day
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »

I don't think Axl is excited about it at all, to be honest. I think a few factors came into play toward making this thing happen, and tell me if you agree with my assessment:

I believe the label rejected CD II and he was told something along the lines of in essence that no record would be accepted unless Slash and Duff were on it. Hence Richard's talk of some new songs having "seeds from Slash" before this regrouping happened.

I think the Azoff lawsuit settlement forced the touring we saw in 2011-2014 and by the end of it Axl was exhausted. Combine this with Duff coming back into the picture - they probably had many talks about past stuff which might have cleared a lot of misunderstandings, which led to Axl's feelings softening on Slash very slightly - perhaps from utter hatred to a level of tolerance.

Then, Bumblefoot gave notice in South America. Fine - Axl probably spent the better part of the year trying to get him back. It's been reported by many insiders that DJ Ashba's departure was totally unexpected by Axl. With Tommy not being able to tour due to personal commitments, and prioritizing the Replacements over GN'R, and then Ashba's sudden departure, I think Axl sort of broke. Caved. "Fuck it", he thought, "I might as well call Slash and Duff at this point." Not due to a lack of options or available replacements, but probably due to exhaustion.

How many times was he going to rebuild Guns with a brand new cast of players and go through that exhausting whole process all over again? Bumblefoot's departure was probably foreseen, but Ashba and Tommy bowing out left him with only a partial rhythm section and keyboardists. I don't think Axl, at his age, at this juncture, wanted to rebuild the core of the band all over again; he's not the 36 year old he was in 1998 who had the youth and energy for that, and at this point, his anger towards Slash had dissipated enough to make the idea of being on stage with him tolerable. And on top of that, that sense of exhaustion came a sense of peacefulness; he's getting older and might have genuinely wanted to mend fences with certain people before it was too late.

But, I think Axl probably feels forced into this. Not by managers or Slash or anything else, but by circumstance. I don't think regrouping with Slash and Duff is what he really wants; I think if he had had his way, BBF and Ashba would still be in the band (or more especially, Bucket and Finck) and he'd have released CD II.

I don't think he's excited at all by this, or even invigorated by the money. I think the Axl we're going to see is a guy whose attitude is probably "Fuck it, why not?" more than anything else. Axl said the last 5 years or so were the worst of his life...I think all the fire that was in him is extinguished. Hence the lack of press, hence the lack of any real YEAH WE'RE BACK excitement or media frenzy.

I think on Slash's end, this is a side job; an opportunity to make a ton of dough - but he's not rejoined the band in any real or emotional sense. I don't think he considers himself "the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses" again - I think for him this is a job, a way to rejuvenate his bank account after the divorce, and really a fragile side project that could go belly up at any minute. I don't think he's into it mentally, it probably is to him what GN'R was to all the nu gunners - just a job. Duff is probably doing this because he's a nice guy, to help out Axl, and he's probably a bit excited about the idea of his two friends actually getting along. I think the idea of what the reunion could turn into excited him.

But, compare this regrouping to other major regroupings - Mick & Keith in 1989, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry in 1985 - both were huge media events. Even though Mick & Keith got back together purely for the money, they were excited by the prospect of conquering the stadium market. There was a media blitz for it. GN'R's regrouping is just being treated - by the band - as another day at the office; another turnover of members who just happen to be old members rejoining. There's no jubiliation or even emotional catharsis.

This could all change once Axl and Slash are on the same stage in front of a full house for the first time since 1993 - that is going to be, I think, both a very weird, surreal and very emotional moment for the both of them and could cement this regrouping as being a real thing, really bring back a genuine bond, just that euphoria of conquering a filled Arena again together, basking in the cheers of the crowds - or, it could go belly up that very night depending on how it all feels to Axl. But, I don't think anyone in the band is particularly excited for this. It's kind of the way Pink Floyd's reunion was, internally; "This is a short term thing, collect our checks, then go our separate ways; blah"

I get that this is all your opinion, and you're more then entitled to it.. i pesonally dont think we have anywhere near enough details to draw ANY conclusion at this point on any of the above.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Axl is either super buzzed about this or super non excited about it either... the same goes for any other member of the band.

I think whatever the current marketing strategy is, has worked to create a fair portion of buzz, and it will be very interesting to see what happens between now and the first show kicking off.

My point is, dont jump to too many conclusions mate. This is all still very much in its infancy, and personally, so far, i see nothing to suggest such negativity on the whole project so far as being warranted.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2016, 09:19:19 PM »

I agree. I was just about to write the same thing. The Las Vegas and Coachella shows sold itself. No interviews are needed right now. When the tour is announced, I'm sure they'll be plenty of interviews.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2016, 09:22:10 PM »

That is what shows in vegas cost, everything entertainment wise in vegas is expensive.

If your premise is correct, how does that explain why my VIPs at The Joint were almost free by comparison?

A few things...

Off Strip vs. On Strip
2 shows vs. weeks worth of shows
And to be honest, 2016 GnR is bigger to the general public than any lineup since 1993

GnR show sold out 2 nights in an ~18K arena in an hour... I haven't seen specifics but looking at the GnR tour index they didn't sell out one night at the Joint (4k seats). It's all about the market for tickets.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »

Yep.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2016, 09:33:01 PM »

Dr. Dre did that exact thing in August, right before 'Straight Outta Compton' came out.  No one had a clue.

It was awesome too.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I really do have a strong feeling new music is brewing.  The label has to have a hard on for it, following the reunion news. Axl would have all the support in the world, and I DARE THEM not to 110% get behind a GNR release featuring Axl, Slash & Duff, the first original album from them since the fucking Illusions.   

Axl puts these guys on a good handful of tracks, lead single included, and bam. Platinum album. Everybody wins, from my view.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »

It was awesome too.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I really do have a strong feeling new music is brewing.  The label has to have a hard on for it, following the reunion news. Axl would have all the support in the world, and I DARE THEM not to 110% get behind a GNR release featuring Axl, Slash & Duff, the first original album from them since the fucking Illusions.   

Axl puts these guys on a good handful of tracks, lead single included, and bam. Platinum album. Everybody wins, from my view.

I 100% agree with this. I really believe there will be an album at some point in the next 18 months.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »

I really believe there will be an album at some point in the next 18 months.

coffee

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »

I think so.  With the VH reunion, there was so much press and interviews before they played that it sort of took the luster off when they actually did.

With Guns, it's like this powder keg that, instead of leaking a little out here and there, they keep packing it full of powder, and keeping everyone guessing and wondering.  Then, when they hit Vegas they blow the roof off the place.  Once the tour (assuming there is a full tour) gets rolling, I think we'll see some interviews.  But until then, IMO they are intentionally keeping silent and letting the intrigue build...and I dig the shit out of that.

VH actually did ZERO press for their 2007 reunion other than the initial press conference. So that's a pretty off-base comparison - unless Guns don't do any either.

I thought they did the circuit after it was announced.  In any event, they had an initial press conference, which is not what we got here.  I'm content if they choose to do nothing and let the momentum and intrigue continue to build.  Then, the week of the Vegas shows, drop a RS exclusive.  Maybe a photo or two.  I still think it would be pretty bad ass if the first time we see them all together will be on stage. 
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2016, 02:00:27 AM »

I really believe there will be an album at some point in the next 18 months.

coffee

stating the obvious, but our best shot at that is if theyve been working on it under wraps since last year. that whole, "richards quote about the songs with the slash seeds" thing meaning a lot more than anyone could have possibly known at the time dream scenario.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: