Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:08:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ Says He Left GN'R - 'There's A Huge Difference Playing Somebody Else's Songs'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ Says He Left GN'R - 'There's A Huge Difference Playing Somebody Else's Songs'  (Read 14793 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 06:58:46 AM »

Can we get a title edit?

Because he actually doesn't say that in the interview, so it's misleading. I'm sure he, and the interviewer, would take issue with the misquote.

He basically says that, when faced with the two options, he found that he PREFERRED playing his own songs.

There is a big..and not just semantic..difference.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 07:11:09 AM »

Add me on the "he never actually said that" side. The title is a tad misleading. DJ was actually super respectful in that interview and said he had the time of his life in GNR.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »

regardless of what he literally said, I think it's quite obvious.

DJ: "Hey Axl, I brought in some new riffs, wanna hear them? We might make a cool song, record it and release it!"
Axl: "Yeah right, but I want you to play KOHD."
DJ: "Really? Will you even show up at the rehearsal today?"
Axl: "No, not in this lifetime."

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 07:45:28 AM »

DJ: "Hey Axl, I brought in some new riffs, wanna hear them? We might make a cool song, record it and release it!"

Yeah, no.

Because, you know, he didn't actually say anything remotely like that.

You can make up your own "dream scenario" about how you think things went....but that's not remotely in the interview.  It's a story you're making up to fuel your preferred narrative.

Which is fine, but maybe be honest about it..because it's most certainly NOT what he said, or even implied, in the interview.

Together again,
zombux
Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 07:55:54 AM »

maybe, but that doesn't change the facts - DJ was in the band for 6 years, during his stint he was allowed to play exactly zero stuff involving his creative input (okay, two guitar solos can be hardly considered GNR songs), there's not a single proof he actually recorded something with GNR in the studio, so he gave up and left. which is even more desperate situation than BBF's, who was at least allowed to add some guitar parts here and there on ChiDem album. everything these guys did together in the studio, was one song (BBF's Pink Panther) - which is kind of sad, considering all the years they spent together, trying to create something more.
but sure, you can still consider this just "my dream scenario" Wink
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:58:16 AM by zombux » Logged

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 08:02:31 AM »

maybe, but that doesn't change the facts - DJ was in the band for 6 years, during his sting he was allowed to play exactly zero stuff involving his creative input (okay, two guitar solos can be hardly considered GNR songs), there's not a single proof he actually recorded something with GNR in the studio, so he gave up and left. which is even more desperate situation than BBF's, who was at least allowed to add some guitar parts here and there on ChiDem album. everything these guys did together in the studio, was one song (BBF's Pink Panther) - which is kind of sad, considering all the years they spent together, trying to create something more.

Yes, because it is. Specifically the conversation you wrote, above.

Unless you can point to a place where that conversation actually happened, and was documented?  What else would you call it?

Prove that he did NOT record anything with GnR in the studio. 

Granted, nobody currently posting in this thread can prove he did, either.  But..then..there's the rub.  You're assuming the information that supports your preferred narrative.  Which is fine...you're totally entitled to your opinion.  You just aren't entitled to represent it as fact, or history, or put words in DJ (and Axl's) mouth.

Because really...all we know is: They didn't RELEASE any new material with DJ playing on it..which is different than him not having recorded any.

So...yes. The rest is supposition, theory, and...yeah...a dream scenario.  A conversation you made up....

Together again,
zombux
Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 08:06:16 AM »

eh, of course I made that up Roll Eyes

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 08:12:35 AM »

eh, of course I made that up Roll Eyes

Right...and:

Where in the interview is that bit, then?

Look, I'm not trying to bust balls (ok, maybe a little bit), but...in case anyone reads the thread and does NOT read the actual interview...nowhere in the interview does he make it "quite obvious" any of what you suggest in your made up conversation.  And that's what your reply sort of implies.

And it's quite the opposite.  He's actually very polite, speaks well of his time in GnR, and is quite complementary of the whole experience.

You might think its obvious, based on your preferred narrative of how it all worked, etc.....but there's NOTHING in the interview to support that.

Thus why I called it what I did.

Together again,
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 09:33:21 AM »

maybe, but that doesn't change the facts - DJ was in the band for 6 years, during his sting he was allowed to play exactly zero stuff involving his creative input (okay, two guitar solos can be hardly considered GNR songs), there's not a single proof he actually recorded something with GNR in the studio, so he gave up and left. which is even more desperate situation than BBF's, who was at least allowed to add some guitar parts here and there on ChiDem album. everything these guys did together in the studio, was one song (BBF's Pink Panther) - which is kind of sad, considering all the years they spent together, trying to create something more.

Unless you can point to a place where that conversation actually happened, and was documented?  What else would you call it?

Granted, nobody currently posting in this thread can prove he did, either.  But..then..there's the rub.  You're assuming the information that supports your preferred narrative.  Which is fine...you're totally entitled to your opinion.  You just aren't entitled to represent it as fact, or history, or put words in DJ (and Axl's) mouth.

Because really...all we know is: They didn't RELEASE any new material with DJ playing on it..which is different than him not having recorded any.

So...yes. The rest is supposition, theory, and...yeah...a dream scenario.  A conversation you made up....

DJ was in the band for 6 years, Bumblefoot was in the band for 9...Why in 9 years was Guns unable to release new material composed by the new members? If Axl really wanted to release stuff written by Ashba/Bumblefoot, don't you think he had more than enough time to do so?
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 09:36:38 AM »

Can we get a title edit?

Because he actually doesn't say that in the interview, so it's misleading. I'm sure he, and the interviewer, would take issue with the misquote.

He basically says that, when faced with the two options, he found that he PREFERRED playing his own songs.

Yes, big difference.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »

Can we get a title edit?

Yes, big difference.

Yes, I think if Sixx AM didn't exist, it's not like Dj wouldn't have wanted to continue with GN'R.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »

DJ was in the band for 6 years, Bumblefoot was in the band for 9...Why in 9 years was Guns unable to release new material composed by the new members? If Axl really wanted to release stuff written by Ashba/Bumblefoot, don't you think he had more than enough time to do so?

Oh, but don't you know by now that Axl records hundreds of records and keeps it in a vault, and whatever gets leaked is what gets the release of the album done?  hihi
Im half kidding.  Grin

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 09:51:21 AM »

As we've discussed, ad nauseum, time isn't always the problem.  I can't categorically answer your question..just theorize.  And you're going to theorize whatever supports your preferred narrative. And we'd just go back and forth like we always do. But, the truth is..we don't KNOW.  We're all just speculating. Right?

We've been having this conversation, literally, for years.  We don't need to rehash it, right?  Especially not in this thread since, really, it has nothing to do with the interview.  My points were made in regards to what was actually SAID by DJ in relation to what was "Obvious".

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 10:01:31 AM »

Unless you can produce a recorded conversation of this, it will be dismissed.  Even then, you could have altered the tape.  So we couldn't even go by that.

No one around here has ever used a hypothetical conversation to make a larger point.  Its wrong, disrespectful, and...frankly, dangerous.

(Oh...and it spares us having to address the larger point being made.  That part is actually a bonus!)

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Annie
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »

Unless you can produce a recorded conversation of this, it will be dismissed.  Even then, you could have altered the tape.  So we couldn't even go by that.

No one around here has ever used a hypothetical conversation to make a larger point.  Its wrong, disrespectful, and...frankly, dangerous.

(Oh...and it spares us having to address the larger point being made.  That part is actually a bonus!)

I totally agree. All we need is that dreadful alternativenation site to pick this up as a story. It's a little shameless self promotion on DJ's part to state these things now that GNR has 4 sold out shows, but hey that's how he rolls. Good luck to him. I don't think the whole world is going to embrace SIXXAM like his little demented fangirls. hihi
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:50:14 AM by Little EMO Annie » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »

Im so happy DJ and Bumble are out of this band.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 10:57:17 AM »

Im so happy DJ and Bumble are out of this band.

I am too, not because I needed a Reunion, but I loved Bucket and Finck ... to me they're playing styles were so different and unique, however DJ and BBF were always fan friendly

jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »

Guys, y so serious? Smiley

Didn?t DJ earlier say something about 13 songs having done with Axl?
Also, this:
"I have always been driven by my passion for creating music and Sixx:A.M. has always been a place where I can express myself honestly and share that passion..."

I think not releasing anything containing his work can definitely be considered at least one of the possible reasons why he left.

Hell has frozen over.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »

He's a really good guitarist, but I'm glad he's gone.

Him in the band just felt weird at times. He was like what? the 5th lead guitarist they had in 10 years?  confused

If him being gone means we get Slash back... then you better believe it.

He was really impressive in concert, but like he even said... he was playing "someone" else's songs.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 11:05:43 AM »

Ignoring the fact that the context of the thread is an ACTUAL INTERVIEW, so...maybe...know the room/topic?

If you're going to create a hypothetical conversation, in an ACTUAL INTERVIEW thread...I'm just saying...it might be best to label it as such, and, you know, indicate that at no point in the interview does this conversation exist, nor does any implication of any such conversation exist.

Or you can just bitch about how "put upon" you are.

Together again,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: